More Generic Cosmetics

Honestly not sure if a lot of folks remember this, but back when they removed icons and frames from the daily chest drop selections, they introduced a BUNCH of 'generic' non-character specific clothing items.
A whole bunch of new items were added, long skirts, jeans, vests, etc. 

Since then I've been aching for another fun set of said clothing items.
All the extra options and colors alone nearly double the amount of creativity that spurs from putting together your very own outfit. It's something I'd love to see more of!

I make this thread as my own way of suggesting they do another round of them, but to also see if others would be interested in them as well. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

In my book all non-head and non-item skins are generic, as all chars can use them

yeah, but usually they have some theme, so it's hard to use some of them for certain outfits. Would be nice to just have more generic clothes like some jackets, shirts or maybe even hoodies(idk if they'd look out of place), some more shoes etc.

It would be a rework of the whole skins system, but I think it would be nice if we could adjust the colors on skins.

Sometimes I play dress up with my characters and I feel limited because I can only match a few pieces together, and they'll always look the same-ish...  It would be really nice if I could tweak the tones a bit to liven things up!

1 hour ago, loopuleasa said:

The problem with glasses is that DST character faces are not standardized

i dont know what you mean by this but cant it be as simple as moving it / resizing it depending on the character head size

i want a player headphones and a cool gamer glasses

It might be a bit more complicated than just resizing but the problem with extra cosmetics is the extra cosmetic slots they would require just like the beard skins you would either have to make a new tab for them in the item collection page or just throw them in the already very big and not very sortable "belongings" tab. Also the pieces would require extra slots in the character skin selector when you join a server. Which would result in a lot of clutter. But all in all extra cosmetics like glasses, bracelets and whatever are a neat concept and just more generic like shirts and pants are always welcome 

3 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

It might be a bit more complicated than just resizing but the problem with extra cosmetics is the extra cosmetic slots they would require just like the beard skins you would either have to make a new tab for them in the item collection page or just throw them in the already very big and not very sortable "belongings" tab. Also the pieces would require extra slots in the character skin selector when you join a server. Which would result in a lot of clutter. But all in all extra cosmetics like glasses, bracelets and whatever are a neat concept and just more generic like shirts and pants are always welcome 

honestly i feel a solid way to solve this would be to have beards, cuffs, glasses etc under like an option on the wardrobe screen similar to the button that lets you set skins for starting items like bernie or wigfrid's helmets.

And with a menu like that it would make sense to be able to choose either unique things for those slots [so unique glasses or masks] or parts of preexisting skins to show [so as an example the glasses wilson's verdant skin has or the cuffs you get from the krampswell costume]

The biggest problem I feel would be having to readjust how a bunch of the wardrobe screen menu works and making it digestible enough for players [or at least make it clear this a more advanced/indepth customization feature so people don't feel too overwhelmed]

On 11/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, loopuleasa said:

The problem with glasses is that DST character faces are not standardized

That is true, I think in the case of many, offsetting functions will do the trick but for those with super interesting faces(In my case this only applied to Webber and Wurt), you could go the extra mile and give them unique sprites! 

A friend was able to do something cutesy where they gave Webber a unique sprite when glasses were worn on him specifically.

Spoiler

image.png.953bf3aed88fcbf62c12b1b6c1b0b560.png

Credits to Crush-Circuit for these glasses, :)

On 11/30/2022 at 2:26 PM, GamePlayer42 said:

i dont know what you mean by this but cant it be as simple as moving it / resizing it depending on the character head size

People complain about the hats on wortox, wurt, and walter all the time. It's a common issue Klei deals with. :wilson_ecstatic:

On 11/29/2022 at 12:14 AM, Shosuko said:

It would be a rework of the whole skins system, but I think it would be nice if we could adjust the colors on skins.

Sometimes I play dress up with my characters and I feel limited because I can only match a few pieces together, and they'll always look the same-ish...  It would be really nice if I could tweak the tones a bit to liven things up!

I would love this honestly. It's surprising how a lot of the top hat skins have nothing that matches it, color-wise. Even more surprising that one of the only ones that do match something are limited to only Winter's Feast 

Archived