Okay where is the lore discussion about the new short?

3 hours ago, TimeToDuel said:

I noticed Klei "liked" a comment on YouTube noting Wilson's absence from the board. Which could mean nothing buuuuut

I don't think they would forget Wilson. He's the face of the franchise. The other characters missing are monsters (who wouldn't be on the board because they aren't survivors), Webber (who is part monster and therefore apart of the Constant now), and Wanda. 

Chess needs two players. Is it possible that Wilson is (once again) the other player? 

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dontstarve_gamepedia_en/images/2/2d/Wilson_chess_copy.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20170411060005

250?cb=20170411060005

they didnt forget wilson tho he's visible at about 2:27 during the shortimage.thumb.png.6802438fd2089d4c5ab3ec8a90106a67.png

7 hours ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

One group has Warly, Wendy, WX78 and Winona. I'm not sure what the hell they have in common with each other.

Second group has Wolfgang and Wigfrid together. The only thing they have in common is their combat abilities.

And third group has Woody and Walter. They both like the forests.. I guess

Emotional trauma, delusion and Canada.

13 minutes ago, Dextops said:

or it's a simple mistake just as webber also isn't there and the chess board isn't even the size of a regular board

I find it hard to believe they would forget the face of the franchise.

As for Webber, I think it's because he's a "monster" character. 

25 minutes ago, TimeToDuel said:

I find it hard to believe they would forget the face of the franchise.

i also find it hard to believe they'd mess up the array of a chess board so that must also mean something

25 minutes ago, TimeToDuel said:

he's a "monster" character. 

ok, and?
it's charlie who's setting the board not some other worldly force and i don't see why she wouldn't put webber there especially when he's part of the survivors and shown with them a lot

13 minutes ago, Dextops said:

ok, and?
it's charlie who's setting the board not some other worldly force and i don't see why she wouldn't put webber there especially when he's part of the survivors and shown with them a lot

Also Wurt, Wortox, Wormwood... it's a weird coincidence for all the monster-like characters to be missing. I refuse to believe they'd miss nearly a third of the cast on accident, that's not something that sneaks by like one extra line of black and white squares for one instance. 

1 minute ago, MadMatt said:

Also Wurt, Wortox, Wormwood... it's a weird coincidence for all the monster-like characters to be missing. I refuse to believe they'd miss nearly a third of the cast on accident, that's not something that sneaks by like one extra line of black and white squares for one instance. 

all dlc's were excluded and wormwood isn't even classified as monster, i think you're digging waaaaay to deep into this.

6 minutes ago, Dextops said:

all dlc's were excluded and wormwood isn't even classified as monster, i think you're digging waaaaay to deep into this.

That's why I said monster-like. Also if it was based on DLC's then that brings us back to why Wilson and Webber are missing. And why would DLC's be excluded? DLC characters have been brought up in animations before and seen with the survivor group before. They'd have to make a conscious decision to not include characters, and then forget about the most important character after having already included him in the scene before, as well as another character who doesn't match the DLC criteria.

Maybe it is a mistake, but I have enough faith to believe that a mistake as big as being inconsistent with the faces of your game, which are the main focus of these animations, wouldn't be made. It's unreasonable to just expect Klei to have made a mistake like this in such a crucial animation, at a critical point, that will indicate the future of the lore and story to come, and wave off details like that.

29 minutes ago, Dextops said:

Except Warly and Walter were included, and so was Wigfrid. The only ones on the board are human characters (minus Wilson and Wanda). I don't think it's a mistake. 

1 minute ago, TimeToDuel said:

Except Warly and Walter were included, and so was Wigfrid. The only ones on the board are human characters (minus Wilson and Wanda). I don't think it's a mistake. 

Warly and Walter are available in the game without using spools, Wigfrid was a DLC character on DS but not in DST.

11 hours ago, Cassielu said:

Foreground: The final performance is on the night of April 17th, Charlie comes to Maxwell's apartment is probably on the afternoon of April 17th, and the earthquake happens on April 18th at 5:12 a.m.

In Short1:40 to 2:02, actually five scene were cut together.

1. Charlie in a red coat finds the entrance to the hidden chamber. The scene indicates that it is before the earthquake

2. Maxwell fights the Shadow (creatures?) in the hidden chamber. The scene indicates that it is after the earthquake

3. Similar to the story we've already seen in the William Carter puzzle, Charlie in a red coat is frightened by something and runs out of the hidden chamber. But the scene outside indicates that it is after the earthquake, also, she did not take the Codex Umbra or Maxwell's clothes. It is worth mentioning that the time shown by the clock in Maxwell's apartment in this scene is not the time of Charlie running out of the apartment in Puzzle, nor is it the time of the earthquake. If the time is not far apart, it actually shows the time probably after the final performance but before the earthquake.

4. The Final Art short clip. According to the Compendium, they did enter The Constant at this point.

5. Charlie was in the atrium, looking at something uneasily, transform into her shadow mosnter form for a moment and was attacked from behind by Fuelweaver

With such a confusing timeline, I wish there was a better theorist than me who could explain it for us. But for myself, I can only think of three theories:

1. None of these scenes are real. Maybe a false memory to control Charlie. Or maybe it's not an apartment, but a similar space constructed by magic.

2.The artist got it wrong.

3.God damn time travel.

My brain while looking at this: Before after before after did did

7 hours ago, TimeToDuel said:

But in the last shot he very noticeably isn't. 

image.png.82c941565dfa3388b0fe57658699f3

Can I just say btw, I just love the style the characters were drawn in in this short. They're not even animated here, but the sharp lines and character injected into just these static poses of the characters (cough, scruffy Woodie is the only canon Woodie. We don't talk about ingame Marge Simpson hive head Woodie)

But I can't tell if we're reading too much into the chesspiece thing or not.

Other than Wilson, the last one to get his rework/fiddled by Charlie - the rest of the characters could just be missing for artistic liberty to not crowd the scene with too many chess pieces that would distract from Maxwell being symbolically turned against the survivors in becoming a black piece, and making room for Charlie's hand to place him there in the shot.Screenshot_20221124_163922_com.vanced.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.b6176e0ffc3f666a80c8f5e0cf88b837.jpg

Additionally, though it doesn't explain why Webber is missing, in story canon (separate from the game) we also aren't sure how close the missing dlc characters actually are to the survivors, nor have we seen them ever interact with the survivors except for brief instances or if ever.

Wurt just scavenged their books and candies in the swamp, Wormwood is fully just vibing somewhere in the world, Wortox played pranks on them and was run into during the likely noncanon Terraria crossover. Wanda is just a wild card, whom, I repeat, I am deeply curious how Charlie feels about as someone who actually stole and parades magic from Them, unlike Maxwell.

Wilson was on the board with Maxwell at first, but disappeared later when Maxwell was turned into a black piece. It could be that:

1. Wilson will also change sides

2. Wilson will somehow disappear from the survivor team

3. Wilson's rework will change him so much that his piece will look entirely different

4. Wilson will be Charlie's opponent

It was hinted by one of the devs that Wilson's rework will be important, so it's unlikely that his piece missing was just a mistake.

19 hours ago, DelroyBM said:

I doubt it. Axiom Visus is the finale of the Return of Them season and Turn of Tides is the beginning of it, in both is shown that "the moon" is missing a piece but in the Encore trailer (Maxwell's) the moon is complete. What I mean is, in case I couldn't explain myself correctly: Encore is chronologically set before Return of Them.

The new moon looks like egg or smt. Like it restoring after being defeated

7 minutes ago, ThymeSpirit said:

3. Wilson's rework will change him so much that his piece will look entirely different

It was hinted by one of the devs that Wilson's rework will be important, so it's unlikely that his piece missing was just a mistake.

Isn't Wilson referred to as "The Fool" in the play as well? Him missing from the board along with that could imply that Charlie just doesn't see anything of worth or potential in him - he's supposably a failure for most of his life, even (likely canonically) died several times in The Constant. Wilson's refresh may fully establish him as a real "player", at least lore-wise, or perhaps Charlie's underestimation of him will be a point.

Or I'm reading far too into little details that aren't even there. Oh well!

2 minutes ago, Auth said:

Isn't Wilson referred to as "The Fool" in the play as well? Him missing from the board along with that could imply that Charlie just doesn't see anything of worth or potential in him - he's supposably a failure for most of his life, even (likely canonically) died several times in The Constant. Wilson's refresh may fully establish him as a real "player", at least lore-wise, or perhaps Charlie's underestimation of him will be a point.

Or I'm reading far too into little details that aren't even there. Oh well!

Wilson was just one of many fools in the play ("he sent for fools to watch us play"), representing all survivors dragged into the Constant by Maxwell. If Charlie doesn't see Wilson as relevant, then other survivors are the same to her and should be missing too.

In chess when a black or white piece lands on a spot where a piece of a separate color is sitting- the player claims that piece and removes it from the playing board.

Since Wortox, Wurt, Wormwood & Webber are all Monster characters (Aka been turned into a mob that resides within the constant..) Then they have been “Conquered” and removed from the playing field.

Easiest explanation, no arguments left to be had. :wilson_love:

2 minutes ago, ThymeSpirit said:

Wilson was just one of many fools in the play ("he sent for fools to watch us play"), representing all survivors dragged into the Constant by Maxwell. If Charlie doesn't see Wilson as relevant, then other survivors are the same to her and should be missing too.

This is a relic of the past- originally Klei didn’t want to give a canon answer as to who defeated the great Maxwell (since you could complete the game as any character) but that was back in Solo DS, Klei immediately makes this irrelevant with the opening cinematic of DST showing a trapped Wilson on the throne, meaning canon to the games story- Wilson is the one who actually made it to the end and defeated Maxwell. Klei could’ve just shown a backwards view of the chair and a mysterious figure sitting in it covered in a robe when Charlie Dethrones them making anyone you want to still be who removes him from the throne.. but NOPE Klei made absolute certain that they very specifically choose Wilson to represent this.

And in an odd development move- have even choose to do his rework as last, I would’ve sworn Maxwells rework which should have been the most lore heavy would’ve been last.. but since Wilson’s being saved for last, he most have some pretty heavy lore coming up.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is a relic of the past- originally Klei didn’t want to give a canon answer as to who defeated the great Maxwell (since you could complete the game as any character) but that was back in Solo DS, Klei immediately makes this irrelevant with the opening cinematic of DST showing a trapped Wilson on the throne, meaning canon to the games story- Wilson is the one who actually made it to the end and defeated Maxwell. Klei could’ve just shown a backwards view of the chair and a mysterious figure sitting in it covered in a robe when Charlie Dethrones them making anyone you want to still be who removes him from the throne.. but NOPE Klei made absolute certain that they very specifically choose Wilson to represent this.

And in an odd development move- have even choose to do his rework as last, I would’ve sworn Maxwells rework which should have been the most lore heavy would’ve been last.. but since Wilson’s being saved for last, he most have some pretty heavy lore coming up.

They said that every (DS) character sat on the throne at some point, probably several times, and then Wilson was the last before Charlie took it. I don't think they ever retconned that. But in any case, that has nothing to do with Wilson piece's absense from the board.

Archived