Charlie as a playable character

I am not really a lore person, while I do follow DST lore at least partially and this is a very big exception compared to all the other games that i don't really care about their lore while i play them for countless hours. Why i am mentioning this is because i may not be correct in suggesting this so i would really like if people explain why it isn't a good idea when it comes to lore.

I've wanted to see Charlie as a playable character for a really long time but there wasn't really a good situation to talk about it considering how many characters were left to be refreshed, now that we are almost done with all the reworks I think that this is becoming a possibility especially after watching Maxwell's short as i seem to like Charlie more and more while Charlie is already fleshed out in lore and I don't think that it is a bad idea for klei to actually make her a playable character.

To delve deeper into this, I think that Charlie would require something of a higher scale compared to refreshes so a quest line like Celestial Champion would be very fitting for her, i don't think that it would be a good idea to lock a character until quest is complete as a lot of the players would never get that far or even if they do, they wouldn't swap their character at that point.

So a quest like Celestial Champion that would expand Charlie's lore while players would be able to pick her at the start is what i felt like would be the most optimal solution.

Personally, I think she would be better as a final boss instead of a character. Maybe have the battle arena be a stage with a shadow audience with some shadow puppet hands controlling her and it's like the final great battle and once you defeat her you fight them and an epic orchestra plays and you save the world from being engulfed in eternal darkness and become the hero of the Constant and credits roll with pictures of your survivor having escaped the constant and what they are up to back to their correct timeline and life.

The more lore that is revealed for DST the more I am convinced that Charlie Nor Maxwell are acting upon their own free will. They both seem to be possessed by a demon of some sorts and unable to control their actions. 

I personally never liked Maxwells personality myself- His character quotes make him seem cruel, self centered & uncaring. All Villain traits, meanwhile Charlie was just an innocent bystander caught up in his actions.

I suppose gameplay wise: Klei didn’t want to change too many of Maxwells in-game quotes but you don’t go from most hated guy in the franchise lore to as Wickerbottom puts it- “he’s actually a sweet boy when you peal away the ego..” Without some sort of major plot shift & lore reveal- even still, his in-game quotes don’t make him seem “sweet” at all!

The newest lore dump in his rework however makes me wonder if he and both Charlie weren’t just Victims..? Perhaps Maxwell wasn’t Always as bad as the game portrays him? And perhaps.. maybe he & her both can have a redemption arch- which in turn opens her up for becoming a playable character.

I can’t think of any other logical reason why Klei would change maxwells darkness quote to Omit Charlie’s name from it, unless.. Charlie may be playable someday and him still having the old quote wouldn’t make sense.

This gives me “hope” for a playable Charlie someday- but I would want her to retain some of her darker magic, technically she’s only Winona’s little sister and giving Winona a Charlie skin would fulfill this gap- but it would be BORING! I would prefer something way way more cool..

Where Charlie is similar to Wanda and the old Glass Canon Wendy mechanic- Aka dealing more damage the closer she is to dying, at high health she’s normal “human” Charlie, but at lower health she “wigs out” and the demon that still lingers in her body fights to keep her alive. Similar to how Hel in the game Smite can hurt/heal people by switching stances.

The new Shadow Sneak ability for Maxwell seems to be close to this concept- except with Charlie instead of just all dark magic, she should be able to go from light to dark and Vice versa.

My head canon for this is that even though possessed by something, Charlie still has enough free will of her own to prevent it from fully taking over her.

Now Wagstaff on the other hand- I’m starting to think may actually be Wilson from the Future, which would also explain how he tries to “help” by doing suspicious “stuff” but at the same time- Accidentally makes things “Worse” by unknowingly creating an Unnatural portal that throws an alternate reality’s pirate monkeys into the constant.

All the lore points line up towards this- but the main question I still can’t draw a conclusion for is that if Maxwell, Wilson & Charlie become playable- Who or WHAT takes over the mantle of main bad guy?

Also why on earth was Wilson’s rework saved for last beyond even the lore heavy Maxwell?! 

So many questions.. so little answers! But I do hope someday (as the story continues like it did with RoT..) Charlie becomes playable! :wilson_love:

Honestly i dont think we’ll see a npc turn into a playable character. It would just be too odd. for instance, do we take winonas’ ability to dodge the night once? She’s no longer “dodging” her sister, it would just be them left. 

basically anything relating to the character as an npc would need to be redone to a large extent.

wagstaff for instance cant be the one stealing the CC’s energy if he IS the person who killed CC, then he’s stealing from himself. So then they’d have to make it an automated collecting machine instead, and then you’d have to have everyones quotes change to reflect that they now know wagstaff. Etc etc.

why would they go through that trouble to make sure that theres no weird lore implications when trying to introduce a new character. Instead they could easily just make a brand new character that does similar stuff to wagstaff without having to remove wagstaff as an antagonistic force.

With Don't Starve being a singleplayer game adventure mode made a lot of sense and worked well, with dst... idk how they'd handle that, either as some community event where there's a new shiny adventure mode equivalent in multiplayer with a community goal of a certain amount of players getting to the end and that unlocking the character for everyone, dlc (most likely option and least unexpected) or she'd just have an arc in-game and then become a playable character... but I don't know how that'd play out after she is added into the game. 

Either way, I feel like her becoming a playable character is almost inevitable.

9 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

Honestly i dont think we’ll see a npc turn into a playable character. It would just be too odd. for instance, do we take winonas’ ability to dodge the night once? She’s no longer “dodging” her sister, it would just be them left. 

basically anything relating to the character as an npc would need to be redone to a large extent.

wagstaff for instance cant be the one stealing the CC’s energy if he IS the person who killed CC, then he’s stealing from himself. So then they’d have to make it an automated collecting machine instead, and then you’d have to have everyones quotes change to reflect that they now know wagstaff. Etc etc.

why would they go through that trouble to make sure that theres no weird lore implications when trying to introduce a new character. Instead they could easily just make a brand new character that does similar stuff to wagstaff without having to remove wagstaff as an antagonistic force.

The darkness could be still dangerous without Charlie, just because it's darkness, because it's shadows's territory. Yet, they changed Maxwell's quote about it.

I understand it for Wagstaff, but for Charlie, if wer'e only talking about the darkness, it could not be such a big deal.

The thing is we Started seeing Charlie in shorts since a while now, and with that last short, it definitely leads to a kind of final (maybe?)

Charlie could split herself. A dark version, still the danger in the night, on the throne. And the "real" Charlie, free of it, being playable et joining the band. Then it could lead to another story arc... 

There's possibilities.

Archived