About the New Night Armor Skin

I wanted to talk about the new Night Armor Skin. I think the rest of the belongings skins are lovely ( I love the dark sword dagger, Wizard hat isn't my style but it still looks good).

However the night armor skin I feel... really off about, because all it feels like is an incomplete version of the default night armor sprite.

SPOILER_unknown.png

SPOILER_unknown.png

The default night armor has more detailing(more sharper and thinner white lines, an actual arm hole and hole for the head, sharper shapes on the shadows seeping at the bottom), while the new night armor skin just looks like an incomplete version of it. I do like simple skins and I think simplicity can work really nicely but I just don't think it works in this particular instance.

image.png.565d942073b19a951869d670758fdcc5.png

And we also have the other two night armor skins! Really really beautiful looking and offer new looks compared to the default sprite, but the new night armor skin just doesn't really have anything going for it as is, and it's the same rarity as the other two!

I really hope we could get some changes for the cloak skin, I think taking more inspiration from Hamlet's own Vortex Cloak item design would be a fun start. Cheers and thanks for the update!

2 hours ago, Dictator said:

I think its thumbnail doesn't look much like it ingame. Ingame it looks cool, specially the back view. 

This was my first thought and something I made sure to check before making this post. I still do not personally like the worn sprites(and in some cases I think it looks even worse than the preview icon).

2 hours ago, BezKa said:

Because it's supposed to be a cape

I don't think it being a cape/cloak means it has to be super simple, Capes can be detailed, intricate and really cool looking! My apologies in advance if I took the wrong point from your post.

10 hours ago, Hornete said:

I don't think it being a cape/cloak means it has to be super simple, Capes can be detailed, intricate and really cool looking! My apologies in advance if I took the wrong point from your post.

They can't if their purpose is to be less visible in the shadows. Can't do much snooping if you're immediately noticed by your decorative clothes.

It could benefit from a more dramatic shape though, and if it actually went over characters' arms like a real cloak would.

1 hour ago, BezKa said:

They can't if their purpose is to be less visible in the shadows. Can't do much snooping if you're immediately noticed by your decorative clothes.

Detail doesn't always have to correlate to design 'flair'. 
You can make something utterly simplistic but also detailed.
I think it could be befitting of a more unique shape, at the least. It's very... geometric, but not in a pleasant way.
image.png
Vortex cloak is a fine example, I'd say. 

image.thumb.png.6d2d333e36380a272876dea36d9c7fee.png

WHERE"S THE DETAIL???????/s

Part of the problem is that the item itself goes under the arms, which is kind of the opposite of cloak's purpose. It's also very see-through, to match other dark armor skins. There's also no hood because it can't have one.

In the end however, it looks the way it should; some wrinkles at the front and spiky cut on the bottom for flair. It looks stiff though, because there's no animation to give it the flow one would expect from a cloak.

melina_1.thumb.jpg.419a2e9ba09f9c93acbf58a601521658.jpg

Cloaks don't need a lot of "detail" to stand out, you can preserve uniqueness through cloth texture, wear and tear, decoloration, etc

Not to mention that if I need to use my "imagination" to see a cloak when all it is at face value is a shirt... Then I can make leaps and bounds in judgement about anything else. 

It's definitely unfair to try and compare it to 3d models though because dst is very limited in what it can do. However not much has to be done to give inconspicuous gear subtle amounts of uniqueness, such as trims, accessories, buttons, etc.04dc1b16d2cf94f61191230fb572da39.png.d77e075a066fa8d4b99e569a2aff1b34.png

If you you need to squint really hard to not see a lower quality retexture of an original then maybe a touch-up can go a long way.

they can offset the simplicity by adding particles similar to the metheus walking cane skin or a trail of shadow sparks. No other armor has that

and unique sounds

i wish would look larger, like a wizard coat or cape.  Also, as you said, taking inspiration from  hamlet's vortex cloak would be nice

4 hours ago, BezKa said:

Part of the problem is that the item itself goes under the arms

Yeah you're right it looks funky with the arms not being covered at all especially for the side view.

Back view looks sorta alright but it mostly just gives off tattered rags type look especially from the front.

Is it suppose to be like a vest-cape combo?

Edit: I suppose since it's also "transparent" its harder to tell where the cape is "draping"

44 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

they can offset the simplicity by adding particles similar to the metheus walking cane skin or a trail of shadow sparks. No other armor has that

and unique sounds

i wish would look larger, like a wizard coat or cape.  Also, as you said, taking inspiration from  hamlet's vortex cloak would be nice

Speaking of particles/special effects. Earlier I was thinking it might be neat if the skin got an effect that looks something like the shadows/hands emerging from Maxwell in his short, but on the armor piece while worn instead.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f419803c4b322021c31f64fb75314eeb.png

Could even have it scale in intensity depending on how much sanity you lose while being hit with the skin, if you wanna be fancy. :D

5 hours ago, BezKa said:

image.thumb.png.6d2d333e36380a272876dea36d9c7fee.png

WHERE"S THE DETAIL???????/s

Part of the problem is that the item itself goes under the arms, which is kind of the opposite of cloak's purpose. It's also very see-through, to match other dark armor skins. There's also no hood because it can't have one.

In the end however, it looks the way it should; some wrinkles at the front and spiky cut on the bottom for flair. It looks stiff though, because there's no animation to give it the flow one would expect from a cloak.

this argument might've worked if it looked anything like a cloak at all, it is genuinely a black blob that is offset on the character.

Archived