Dst lacks something, but I'm not sure what

5 hours ago, Szczuku said:

for many years now, things like OP have been thrown around the forums and suggested to Klei. However we got Relaxed Mode instead, despite the fact that (at least from what I've seen) it wasn't requested of the devs

i guess they read negative critics from steam and other platforms. As a bussiness is a logical step to include these settings but i think they should have added harder options in these settings like they did when sanity got settings 

6 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

It makes me sad that fetch quest content is touted as content for experienced players.

I’m just a middling player so I wouldn’t know. (Added a category for when someone would object because of course they would)

I guess you feel that this is a scathing one-liner comeback. Personally I don’t think complaining about a mere preset and some newbie world generation knobs displays any kind of positive attributes considering all the late-game content that has been released these last years.

7 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Interesting to see that most people's main takeaway from OP is about difficulty.

Also OP/Szcuku:

Yes, this is yet another example of Klei blatantly spitting on the 'uncompromising, wilderness survival' aspect of dst.

The addition of the 'goo-goo, gaa-gaa' mode

Martin Luther be like: Oh, how interesting that people thought I was upset with the Catholic Church. Curious.

Combat where bosses attack every 1-2 seconds with full combos but your character can do crazy evasive maneuvers through hurtboxes and depending on weapon held also have own attack strings where you choose whehn you end them with different special attack depending on amount of normal attacks preceding it , vindictus style:cool2:

1 hour ago, Wonz said:

Combat where bosses attack every 1-2 seconds with full combos but your character can do crazy evasive maneuvers through hurtboxes and depending on weapon held also have own attack strings where you choose whehn you end them with different special attack depending on amount of normal attacks preceding it , vindictus style:cool2:

I got just the thing for you

image.png.eaeb5c4f2e33aee3d94a451c3b79e1ed.png

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei can’t please everyone- but they have “slowly and surely” been making features less of a threat: with things like Water Logged Tree Canopy’s to aid in combating overheating & wildfires.

I don't get it... You're against more diverse ways of combating overheating and wildfires?... Because its easier to survive them... with how easy it is to spend summer in caves?

But yeah I agree with Spino, I don't want my whole world to be filled with small things that won't kill me but will be annoying (like a meteor destroying parts of my base)

In fact I think its one of the best changes to expect from QOLs, when annoying things stop being annoying just for the sake of being annoying (like the removal of disease, which was literally "just replant these")

2 hours ago, Wonz said:

This is called hack ’n slash and is its own genre.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Am I literally the only one who enjoys absolute widespread and mostly unavoidable chaos?

I never bothered to turn off Wildfires outside of wanting to just screw off and make a WintersFeast/Hallowed Nights/Cawnival-

Because in my opinion Wildfires we’re intended to be a punishing mechanic that FORCED the player to repair and rebuild after disaster.

Your forest burned down? Oh well how about chopping down those burnt trees and replanting pinecones that sort of thing.

I hear people cry “Don’t Base in the Meteor Show Noob!” But.. if that shower didn’t just happen in one particular area and could rain down into any biome- You wouldn’t be able to easily avoid it..

I sometimes even base in meteor shower fields intentionally just so I get that extra thrill of repairing/fixing what has been hit by the meteors.

Klei can’t please everyone- but they have “slowly and surely” been making features less of a threat: with things like Water Logged Tree Canopy’s to aid in combating overheating & wildfires.

Id personally like to see new mechanics added to the game like intense blizzards that freeze over the ground so you slip & glide across the icy floor.

Just some cool new stuff to make a game that was created in 2013 feel like it’s been getting some cool new ideas and features almost TEN YEARS Later.

To put that into perspective for you- we should be seeing GTA 4 Vs GTA V level differences and advancements by now.

Or at the very least 2009’s Arkham Asylum vs 2015’s Arkham Knight.

Games Evolve, new ideas are thought up and Reap What You Sow was an excellent example of taking a generic and boring farm plot- and Reinventing the wheel completely.

Klei has done this with fishing, and Boat mechanics as well..

But I’d like to see biome updates, A.I. Mob Behavior updates, How we interact with cooking updates, combat updated etc.

Basically the TL:DR- now that there’s Relaxed Mode- Crank everything else up to 11.

Toggle so meteors can fall into ANY Biome?? Yes please. 

i wish you had a pc so you could play uncompromising mode

nothing will change because the casual game is hard enough for new players, and if you want difficulty you are going to do boss rushes or speedruns, which have a lot of room for error and ruining your entire run, etc. theres a load of videos you can get your bearings with when speedrunning as well, and its not much of a self imposed challenge since the speedrunning community is quite active. if you are looking for new approaches for this game i HIGHLY recommend speedrunning, its actually a lot of fun to plan stuff out

hard mode will also not happen because not only we have 0 incentive to make public servers, but also we already have a very segmented community, and if you add another difficulty to the server list youll end up fragmenting the player base even more

as someone that once wanted harder difficulties i understand your frustration, but its time that we accept we're in too deep and its hard to make a survival game harder for people with the entire wiki in their heads, inside worlds 100+ days old, unless you add in artificial difficulty

1 hour ago, Datanon said:

nothing will change because the casual game is hard enough for new players, and if you want difficulty you are going to do boss rushes or speedruns, which have a lot of room for error and ruining your entire run, etc. theres a load of videos you can get your bearings with when speedrunning as well, and its not much of a self imposed challenge since the speedrunning community is quite active. if you are looking for new approaches for this game i HIGHLY recommend speedrunning, its actually a lot of fun to plan stuff out

hard mode will also not happen because not only we have 0 incentive to make public servers, but also we already have a very segmented community, and if you add another difficulty to the server list youll end up fragmenting the player base even more

as someone that once wanted harder difficulties i understand your frustration, but its time that we accept we're in too deep and its hard to make a survival game harder for people with the entire wiki in their heads, inside worlds 100+ days old, unless you add in artificial difficulty

What’s so hard to understand about DST being too easy? Outside of Raid bosses and maybe a surprise encounter at sea.. DST has none of the difficulty DS Adventures Mode, Shipwrecked or Hamlet had.

Let me put that into clearer words for you:

To get past the hazardous poison biome in Hamlet you needed gas masks for protection, to cross simple small lakes and get to the other side of a pond you needed to build a temporary raft- these were things you had no choice to build if you wanted to progress through Hamlet.

To survive Shipwrecked the game map was broken up into a bunch of little islands separating the biomes so you needed to build a boat- And then sail from biome to biome across a less than peaceful ocean to gather resources to repair your boat or food to stay alive.

BOTH of those DLCs also had new Weather, New mob attack patterns, and even had enemy mobs randomly spawning from the resources you attempted to mine/chop/pluck/smash open etc.. It kept the player on their toes and engaged with the world around them. AKA- What any Survival Game SHOULD DO.

Single players Adventures Mode also had obstacle courses such as: Obsidian Pillars, bridge chokehold points, hazardous mazes, puzzles that needed solving etc.

The difference between DS/Shipwrecked/Hamlet and DST is that DS’s content was “gated or locked” behind needing to solve a puzzle, wear protective gear to bypass a hazardous zone, build a boat to cross a lake, etc to get to resources on the opposite side of those obstacles.

DSTs world is an open Sandbox, there’s next to no obstacles keeping you from just walking to every resource you could ever need.. and that’s why the game feelings boring/unchallenging for me personally..

Why do I EVER need to build a boat when literally everything I need to survive with is within walking distance?

Sure… I could go do completely optional things like get a Salt Box, Visit Pearls Island, Fight the Celestial Champion, but absolutely NONE of that content is Forced upon Me..

Imagine if say for example: Deerclops only spawned on some distant island I needed to sail to to fight her for her Eyeball to craft the Eyebrella- I’d need to first build a boat and progress past the blockade blocking my way to her biome.

DS/Shipwrecked and Hamlet all had these kinds of puzzles/obstacle courses/blockades- But DST is an open sandbox.

Theres no maze I need to travel through full of angry Tallbirds while wearing armor to avoid dying just to get to the other side where the only sanity restoring resources might be..

You get my point.

And what frustrates me with DST (personally) is that Beefalo are now as easy as Day 1 to start taming.. and they are great for speed, health and in most cases damage buff- With Beefalo being that easy to get… why can’t they have a “chance” to spawn on some distant island across the ocean I need to sail to and find them in first?

If Pig King Showers the player in Gold… why isn’t he on a distant island players need to sail to? Etc..

My point is for anyone who played DS or it’s DLCs- DST is too Sandboxy for its Own Good..

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My point is for anyone who played DS or it’s DLCs- DST is too Sandboxy for its Own Good..

This isn't a universal opinion that "anyone who played DS" shares, I mainly played DS with SW + Hamlet instead of DST for years and years, and I see it as pretty much an equal sandbox as DST, just with less decoration options. The things you're treating as super impactful are honestly just less creative but more intrusive content than what we get in DST. Yeah the toxic rainforest is super scary at first because you HAVE to learn how to deal with it to prevent the aporkalypse, but then you learn which hats protect from it and you just make one of those to explore it (assuming the ruins aren't close enough to just sprint to) and then you never have to set foot in there again in that save file. Yeah, it's scary when a scorpion falls down from a rainforest tree, but then you just chop other trees instead if you don't want a fight. It's really really not that different from DST, you just choose to spawn in Hamlet or Shipwrecked instead of RoG, in the same way that in DST you can choose to go to sea instantly and get a super different early game experience.

On 10/6/2022 at 7:13 PM, abrocator said:

This is called hack ’n slash and is its own genre.

Just kidding I don't believe they're capable of implementing something so complex but having more than just one attack but with different purposes could be nice.

On 10/6/2022 at 6:17 PM, Guille6785 said:

I got just the thing for you

image.png.eaeb5c4f2e33aee3d94a451c3b79e1ed.png

Too slow. In vindictus you go vrrrARRvvvrrrrrerererREEREARRARARRRRRR

On 10/6/2022 at 10:20 AM, Scrimbles said:

It makes me sad that fetch quest content is touted as content for experienced players.

Minimizing the time spent on a handful of chores has a lot more optimization potential befitting experienced players than banal difficulty choices like whatever removing carrots from the game, giving certain mobs non-dodgeable attacks or inflating damage numbers would try to accomplish. For starters, it actually makes use of your knowledge.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:34 PM, hhh2 said:

It needs more amongus.

local sus = c_spawn("dirtpile") sus:AddComponent("named") 

sus.components.named:SetNamed("sus... Amogus")

sus.AnimState:SetAddColour(255/255, 1/255, 1/255)

I forgot to make it white but eh red is more Sus

Archived