A little drama of mine for a little drama update

I think we just got another event that we didn't ever asked for.

Nothing interesting which is waste of a setpiece and resources. It just might be a one time thing that you try and leave alone eternally. Even if player be rewarded for doing it, it would not be interesting because it's not funny to do a show. You might enjoy it first time for lore but after that it's just a thing you will not mess with it.

First of all, I for one haven't tested this Beta, solely watched posts on these forums and on some Discords, hence I don't have 1st hand experience. While what I saw made me skeptical, since this Stage set-piece is basically a "cut-scene" AFK-ish role-play/dress-up mini-"game" with low re-playability in current format, I do have hope for future this will evolve into something more. The mannequins have object-display adjacent utility, as well as aesthetic elements for base-building, likewise those costumes. The set-pieces themselves are pleasant to behold and a throwback at ANR themes and aspect, plus old DS main pov frame: world as a stage, with props and actors (the players). If anything, these sets are welcomed additions in the context of low spawn-rates for DST set-pieces at large - they bring a certain liveliness to worlds and reinforce players' role: actors on a grand spectacle arena. I do wish this seemingly new arc maybe will also bridge with past, discarded ones, aka "Ancient Gateway" (Forge & Gorge) & "Return of Them" (abruptly cut short).

A little Drama is not the centerpoint of this update, nor was it supposed to. That's what JoeW meant by something a little different and not to stir up overhype. Not everything is going to have a huge plot or meaning and quite frankly it's nice to just have some lore that is straight up just given to us, no puzzles, no hints, just a play that's a metaphor for Charlie's spot in the constant and her plot that is inside of the game for once. There are several more important gameplay additions that the QoL update gave us to compensate for the smaller edition we got.

What has me worried is this might lead to another boss or something significant and the play will have to be done each and everytime. I'm sure nobody wants that. (Let me clarify. I liked the stageplay, but it's not GAMEplay, and should be optional.)

7 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

What has me worried is this might lead to another boss or something significant and the play will have to be done each and everytime. I'm sure nobody wants that. (Let me clarify. I liked the stageplay, but it's not GAMEplay, and should be optional.)

You'll have to do it on each new world.

I think it would be cool to make a rehearsal system, there is a book and you need to memorize some phrases and then write in the chat via /1 /2 /3 to select the desired option in accordance with the scenario

for example for the first act you need to say /3 /2 /1 /2 /1 /3
and the character will play the pieces of dough from that part. if you write the command in the wrong order, it will fail

This is a QOL update first and foremost. This is just a little sprinkle of honey crystals on the meal that is the QOL. Don't look into it that much.
(I dont enjoy it much so im going to ignore it like I do with other things in the game I dislike)

I just wish the stage had some gameplay value, and that the stage show was done by the animation team for another platform like YouTube, or even as a standalone puzzle like Metheus and Cyclum puzzles. Even though the stage show being a part of the game feels off to me (for the very reason that it provides close to little gameplay), I understand that not every part of an update has to be gameplay related.

This why I can't and won't complain. I can just ignore the setpiece, which is however a shame considering the effort put into it. Maybe it will be a key part of a future questline, but I'm not a fan of the unskipable cutscene concept, so in case Klei is planning something bigger for the stage, I can only say that the stage show is a little bit too long to be a mandatory quest requiring the player to do nothing.

Otherwise it's a cute little addition, and if that's all there is to it, I want to suggest one thing: pigman and merm performers. For the body slot, maybe the game could check for a costume tag to let those mobs wear the body slot costumes. Just let me build my own theater and reward/kill the performers based on my mood, and I will be happy.

Guys- the 2022 Roadmap states we would get 3 game content updates that Klei has dubbed “Setting the Stage” the FIRST of those game content updates was Curse of Moon Quay, and I’m assuming whatever this silly A little bit of Drama thing is is the SECOND of those Setting the stage updates.

And to be quite honest this update brings in several cool ideas/fan requested features, but I wouldn’t put this in the same category with Moon Quay..

Either way if this is indeed the 2nd Game Content update (of 3 that’s on the Roadmap) then that leaves a third Setting the Stage update that’s coming out later-

Now here’s the teeth kicker: “Setting the Stage” is intended to do exactly that: Set the Stage for Whatever’s next when SEASON TWO of Return of Them starts sometime later next year.

Remember: They called the end of Return of them a Season Finale, not a Series Finale.. so it should pick up where Season One left us at a cliff-hanger ending.

My only questions are what the hell does Curse of Moon Quay have to do with A Little Bit of Drama?? And how do these two updates tie into the Third planned Setting the Stage update to “Set the Stage” for whatever Klei’s bigger picture is?

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My only questions are what the hell does Curse of Moon Quay have to do with A Little Bit of Drama?? And how do these two updates tie into the Third planned Setting the Stage update to “Set the Stage” for whatever Klei’s bigger picture is?

Well I mean a lot of rot had **** else to do with anything else with half the updates being ocean and other being moon related 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

What happens if with the "unnatural portal" and the masks you summon a boss who takes control of the island?
it would be crazy

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.23413d90cc6108a82c13a67e76bdaae7.png

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Guys- the 2022 Roadmap states we would get 3 game content updates that Klei has dubbed “Setting the Stage” the FIRST of those game content updates was Curse of Moon Quay, and I’m assuming whatever this silly A little bit of Drama thing is is the SECOND of those Setting the stage updates.

It was clearly stated, actually let me pull it up...
"Our next update is going to be something a little different. I want to be careful because then it runs the risk of being overblown by the community, but it's something a little different that the team wanted to put together for everybody. We also have a pretty interesting QOL update that we are hoping to get together at the same time.  "
This is more of a side project that someone in the team probably thought "Hey this seems like a neat idea so people unfamiliar with the lore can get a little catch up in game." and the DST Head of Management gave them a hearty slap on the back and a raise.
This is a QoL update with a sprinkle of kindness from Klei. This is not the 2nd "setting the stage". Granted I can't say with authority but I'd bet a lot on it.

Except people did ask- I distinctly remember people talking about ways to get lore without watching shorts or reading wiki of the Carter puzzles. Half of the puzzles can't be completed anymore, and adding an in-game lore dump spot you can disable in your future worlds is actually a pretty good solution. A creative one at that.

Plus, the new turfs, oh my hesh I love the new turfs.

Archived