[Game Update] - 522362

14 hours ago, PeterA said:
    • Frozen Lavae will now count as dead at the time they are frozen instead of after they thaw.
      • This stops an unfun timing window with the Dragonfly in the fight when the Dragonfly is put to sleep.

When I first saw this I was a little afraid this was going to negatively impact the enraged Dragonfly fight especially for characters with no damage bonuses, but on the contrary, now it's more consistent and much more fun to fight the enraged Dragonfly. So thanks a lot for this change!:D

2 hours ago, Malfario said:

Diagonal.thumb.PNG.f0fdcff387ea1605c17922caeea1d9b4.PNGHorizontal.thumb.PNG.71fe61d26f5defd3ab5aac02a5f67ddb.PNG

As you can see walls look diferently depending on wich angle you position your camera, during the wicker beta fencing sword was able to change this, so walls would look facing front when the world was in diagonal and viceversa. This didnt make it to the live version because it was technically a bug but was said that it will be implemented on the future.

I just tested it and there is no interaction with the fencing sword and walls

Well, yeah, it is relative to the camera view (straight on versus isometric) but it is absolute to the tile grid it is standing on. There are two sprites for those perspectives, although the orientation in the world is still the same. I had no idea that it was possible to toggle the sprites during the beta. Being able to do so could lead to some inconsistencies with the hitbox though I guess it should be possible to retain the hitbox while using the other sprite (that is rotated by 45 degrees) if somebody wishes to implement such a thing.

Edited by Captain_Rage

16 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Well, yeah, it is relative to the camera view (straight on versus isometric) but it is absolute to the tile grid it is standing on. There are two sprites for those perspectives, although the orientation in the world is still the same. I had no idea that it was possible to toggle the sprites during the beta. Being able to do so could lead to some inconsistencies with the hitbox though I guess it should be possible to retain the hitbox while using the other sprite (that is rotated by 45 degrees) if somebody wishes to implement such a thing.

If you're referring to the physics hitbox. Nothing changes, most objects(if not all) in DST are cylindrical(or spherical). And well, rotating a cylinder around the y-axis doesn't really change it in any meaningful way :p

Edited by Hornete
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, PeterA said:

Frozen Lavae will now count as dead at the time they are frozen instead of after they thaw.

• This stops an unfun timing window with the Dragonfly in the fight when the Dragonfly is put to sleep.

Thanks for this, the fight feels so much better now!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Roodmas said:

Can someone please explain how the lavae update makes the Dragonfly fight better? I'm okay to accept that it is, but I don't understand why yet.

Some of us use Ice Staves to freeze the larvae rather than building walls to deal with the larvae.

Originally, you can freeze the larvae and attack it to break it and thus kill it.. What I would do is freeze all but the last larvae, put dfly to sleep, then freeze and kill the last larvae to skip Dfly enraging (as shown by Helicalpuma here).

But then Klei made a change where these larvae could not be punched to be broken, which was a problem since Dfly would only enrage when the larvae would burst into flames, NOT when they were frozen.

It led to awkward situations where the last larvae was frozen but dfly could wake up and then enrage (wasting a panflute use) or a boring waiting game of waiting for that frozen larvae to burst. 

The change made it that it's no longer case. Frozen larvae will be what makes dfly enrage, not the waiting on the larvae to burst.

Someone here also explained how it made it better for enraged dfly fights as normal dps characters.

Why was it not reverted to it's OG state where it could be punched? To take controllers into account, as stated by Jesse here.

It's works out the same as its OG state though.

Edited by lakhnish
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

And if they stand side by side with alternating sprites, won't that look strange? The fences were drawn with this in mind and their sprites don't overlap while wall sprites are bigger. If there won't be any visual discrepancies it could spice up base decor, agreed.

I don't think it would be an issue if you could go out of your way to make it look bad. You can already make walls look bad by just using random skins at random heights next to each other. Looks atrocious.

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

7 hours ago, DajeKotlyar said:

Maybe Klei revert it for some reason, but it definitely was a feature in the beta

they reverted it since wasnt expected and they didnt want bugs happening in that weekend but they said they will find a way to bring it back (and wont take as long as adding crafteable archives turf hopefully)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, lakhnish said:

snip

Aaaah okay, I understand now. Thank you for the detailed explanation! I don't mind fighting dragonfly using walls, but I might start experimenting with other methods. I kind of want to learn to fight the enraged version as well.