What's the ideal Lunar Grimoire recipe?

About that Lunar Grimoire recipe change...  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should lunar grimoire's current recipe (1 iridescent gem, 2 moon moth wings) change or stay the same?

• Change
    • Stay the same
  2. 2. If it should be changed, what should it be changed to? (Select all that apply)

• Moon moth wings
    • Moon rock
    • Moon glass
    • Moon rock idol
    • Iridescent gem
    • Bath bomb
    • Carrat
    • Astral detector
    • Glommer's flower
    • Something else
    • It should not change
    • Unlocked via distilled knowledge
    • Moongleam
    • Glommer's wings
    • Purple/red/blue moonlens
    • Green/yellow/orange moonlens
    • Moon shroom
    • Lunar wobster

Since we can't seem to agree on what the best lunar grimoire recipe is, let's poll it.

Please leave a comment if you have suggestions to add to the poll, but please keep it moon-related or related to one of the moon biomes (lunar islands, lunar grotto, archives) in some way.

Disclaimer: Everything past "It should not change" was added retroactively, thus some votes were cast without a full selection available. I don't know of any way to fix this besides making an entirely new poll, apologies.

Ive suggest Moth wings+glommer flower+papyrus.

Wickers quote about discovering the book because of the archives implies to me that she merely learned the recipe there. Not that she needs a specific material from there. 

So the recipe could be acquired only through the distilled knowledge mini-game to make the book more mid game. Even though needing lunar month wings already kind of does that. (To me it was just flavor text, I think the archives shouldn't need to be mandatory).

Glommer adds a sort of "key" that the host can control to limit wickers access to the book. 

CARRAT?! :lol:

Like i said in the most recent update post, i think the Grimoire suffers from the fact that strictly conceptually its power is too awesome :roll:.

While gameplay wise, full moons dont provide u much besides above ground light and glommer sacrifices until u construct big laborious setups. 

Conceptually an opal is appropriate. But gameplay wise its way too exorbitant. 

The effect being localized to a big area, a beam of concentrated moonlight instead of the real thing for the entire overworld would solve the issue the Grimoire has better than any possible recipe i think. 

But i can imagine how implementing localized full moon effects could be complicated so ideally a middle ground should be found between two moon rocks on one side and an opal on the other...

Currently the grimoire has to be the most expensive craft in the game right? :lol:

26 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Any combination of moon rocks, moon moth rings, and moon glass. Including just one of them, like the old recipe. I think an iri gem is super overkill, making full moons isn't even that useful. 

For real, the book is more detrimental if anything as it messes up the moon cycle.

The draw backs of the book/full moon along side the benefits made it balanced imo. You could have made a draw back where subsequent full moons increases the full moon sanity drain with every continuous new full moon so it forces people to take a break from full moons or up the resource cost to maintain (sanity healing foods).

The only true concern I saw was making it impossible to play woodie because everyone wants a full moon every night. 

Klei why don't you have your priorities in check? You should have addressed Woodie before even making changes to the book. 

To those who say the full moons aren't that useful, here's a list of a thing you can do with Lunar Grimoire:

• Light on demand. It would be especially useful for sailing. The Terraria bosses are also much better to fight during the full moon. For that matter, for any boss it's better to see the whole arena instead of putting a thousand of dwarf stars. 
  • Unlike the moonstorm, it doesn't slow you down.
  • Meat and pig skin supply from werepigs farms can be gathered at any time you want (4 days to respawn, of course, but it ain't 20).
  • Moon glass on demand. Mass production of glass cutters. No need to wait 20 days. Wickerbottom mains surely love mass production.
  • Killing Glommer every night for Krampus Sack. I know it's not the most eficient way but still a solid option. And Glommer goop has more uses after the last year, so you will actually get at least something out of it. 
  • Easier time management since you're not tied to a strict schedule. It often happens to me that I wanna go to the lunar/caves/whatever to do stuff but then I remember that full moon is in 2 days and I should probably stay to farm werepigs/do moonstone event or whatever.

And there are probably around 20 more things you can do with these books that I'm not creative enough to come up with. It is powerful and the recipe is appropriate. Stop pretending it is a trash item that should be crafted with basic rocks. Better ask Klei to make the book summon the new moon, as well. 

12 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

The draw backs of the book/full moon along side the benefits made it balanced imo. You could have made a draw back where subsequent full moons increases the full moon sanity drain with every continuous new full moon so it forces people to take a break from full moons or up the resource cost to maintain (sanity healing foods).

I don't think you need to do anything. The best use of the book is for a pig farm which only needs to happen at most once every four days, but that isn't even particularly powerful since you start a world with like 70-120 pig skin and more than enough food. Certainly useful but not overpowered, especially compared to other character's perks or even her own perks (she already has two other food books which are great).

The light thing is a forum meme. Yeah, it's cool that you can see your whole screen. But how useful is that really? The surface isn't particularly dangerous so the extra vision isn't too impactful, but what is impactful is that instead of popping underground once a season you are constantly draining huge chunks of sanity out of your brain and are tethered to the base because you can only go for 2 nights before needing to go swap out for a new book.

7 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

To those who say the full moons aren't that useful, here's a list of a thing you can do with Lunar Grimoire:

Oh no, she's overpowered compared to Wilson. You listing things her other books (which cost things like seeds) already do better sure is proving the book should cost an iri gem. 

4 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

After which u continue to list extremely well known effects which the overwhelming majority of ppl posting on the forums r already aware of and which are anything but game breaking. 

Fellas did u know a pig turns into a werepig on a full moon AND can be killed for 2 WHOLE meat AND a pig SKIN?!?!?! Grimoire should require Pearl’s pearl. 

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:

After which u continue to list extremely well known effects which the overwhelming majority of ppl posting on the forums r already aware of and which are anything but game breaking. 

Fellas did u know a pig turns into a werepig on a full moon AND can be killed for 2 WHOLE meat AND a pig SKIN?!?!?! Grimoire should require Pearl’s pearl. 

No way man, I can kill Glommer to get a krampus once every 8 minutes. That is way better than getting many krampus per day with birds of the world. I think the book should cost at least 5 celestial crowns. 

36 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I don't think you need to do anything. The best use of the book is for a pig farm which only needs to happen at most once every four days, but that isn't even particularly powerful since you start a world with like 70-120 pig skin and more than enough food. Certainly useful but not overpowered, especially compared to other character's perks or even her own perks (she already has two other food books which are great).

The light thing is a forum meme. Yeah, it's cool that you can see your whole screen. But how useful is that really? The surface isn't particularly dangerous so the extra vision isn't too impactful, but what is impactful is that instead of popping underground once a season you are constantly draining huge chunks of sanity out of your brain and are tethered to the base because you can only go for 2 nights before needing to go swap out for a new book.

I know this and you know this, but "certain" people don't know this so you have to add a slightly inconvenient drawback or you never hear the end of it.

These people think Wortox is op

Having no night is op

Having 1 million football helmets is op (guess they don't know marble regrows and you can farm hundreds of it with a rook).

Having a Krampus sack is op

So what do you do to satisfy those "certain" players? You make a drawback that to them seems "appropriate" and everyone else can live with.

Seriously, I use 9 pig houses and they supply me with enough football helmets that I don't need to make more houses for the rest of the game worlds life time.

7 minutes ago, Ohan said:

This is not the point. The point is, you don't have to wait for 2.5 hours to get any of these effects  and then get disappointed because  it was autumn and night lasted 30 seconds (or you just forgot) and wait another 2.5 hours. Sometimes you want to do multiple things on the full moon but don't have time. Removing this aspect of time management is actually what makes the book powerful. 

I think Astral Detector is a really nice ingredient if Distilled Knowledge item is kinda too awkward to use as recipe!

I never see full moon as op so I never really minded moon rock recipe, but I think at least locking it behind Lunar Island exclusive ingredient is reasonable, but for Wicker's quote alone I would want it to require something that requires archive activation but not the iridescent gem, that cause all sorts of problems.

If the thing requires archive activation than I think it doesn't need the moon moth as ingredient, if the dev doesn't want it to require archive activation than it should just be moon moths and moon glass.

17 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

• Light on demand. It would be especially useful for sailing. The Terraria bosses are also much better to fight during the full moon. For that matter, for any boss it's better to see the whole arena instead of putting a thousand of dwarf stars. 
  • Unlike the moonstorm, it doesn't slow you down.
  • Meat and pig skin supply from werepigs farms can be gathered at any time you want (4 days to respawn, of course, but it ain't 20).
  • Moon glass on demand. Mass production of glass cutters. No need to wait 20 days. Wickerbottom mains surely love mass production.
  • Killing Glommer every night for Krampus Sack. I know it's not the most eficient way but still a solid option. And Glommer goop has more uses after the last year, so you will actually get at least something out of it. 
  • Easier time management since you're not tied to a strict schedule. It often happens to me that I wanna go to the lunar/caves/whatever to do stuff but then I remember that full moon is in 2 days and I should probably stay to farm werepigs/do moonstone event or whatever.

And there are probably around 20 more things you can do with these books that I'm not creative enough to come up with. It is powerful and the recipe is appropriate. Stop pretending it is a trash item that should be crafted with basic rocks. Better ask Klei to make the book summon the new moon, as well. 

noooo you don't understand!! wickerbottom mains will die if they spend more than 2 seconds without mass farming something

Although I like the price of the Moon Rock Idol the most, because:

• it requires Moon Rock (thematic) and Purple Gem (higher price)
  • doesn't force a Wickerbottom to waste a brand new Moon Caller's Staff or to slow down Ancient Archives activation
  • it's not easy to get it in first couple of days, as you have to get Celestial Orb or assemble Celestial Altar on the Lunar Island

I would much rather see the recipe include Purple Moonlens with almost the same cost but skipping the requirement of access to the Celestial Tab.
If visiting Moon Island is a requirement, leave Moon Moth Wings as part of recipe, but please, just not another Iridescent Gem, my poor heart already cries when I deconstruct Moon Caller's Staff with more than half uses left just to get some power in the Archives.

image.png.6e96c13ccbe51d481560a5481452f5f3.png   image.png.8fa79cd7ede92c07f8c7257c8180e285.png   image.png.2d3fce407306690c1e1b0bbd4b2f5b2a.png

1 minute ago, TheMidnightStar said:

noooo you don't understand!! wickerbottom mains will die if they spend more than 2 seconds without mass farming something

No but literally. Numbers have to go up 

2 minutes ago, Sapientis said:

my poor heart already cries when I deconstruct Moon Caller's Staff with more than half uses left just to get some power in the Archives.

Yeah this is the worst part. Many sun/moon caller staves are bound to be wasted with this change. 

16 minutes ago, xxXolot said:

I think Astral Detector is a really nice ingredient if Distilled Knowledge item is kinda too awkward to use as recipe!

I never see full moon as op so I never really minded moon rock recipe, but I think at least locking it behind Lunar Island exclusive ingredient is reasonable, but for Wicker's quote alone I would want it to require something that requires archive activation but not the iridescent gem, that cause all sorts of problems.

If the thing requires archive activation than I think it doesn't need the moon moth as ingredient, if the dev doesn't want it to require archive activation than it should just be moon moths and moon glass.

That... Yeah, that sounds good.

Thematically appropriate, Gated but not expensive, doesn't mess with the archives. That's pretty good in my book.

42 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

The only true concern I saw was making it impossible to play woodie because everyone wants a full moon every night. 

He can use the bush hat  to hide from the moon light, and effectively ignore the curse for the night. As long as Woodie is hidden at the start of the full moon, he's good to go. This is how a Woodie in our pub server was able to make it through the cycle. This does of course take communication, especially if the wicker reads the book mid-nighttime.

This is very personal and should not be taken into account but, I would hate to have to activate Archives because it always causes me a lot of lag lol even when I remove the iridescent gem after getting all the distilled knowledge :?

2 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

He can use the bush hat  to hide from the moon light, and effectively ignore the curse for the night. As long as Woodie is hidden at the start of the full moon, he's good to go. This is how a Woodie in our pub server was able to make it through the cycle. This does of course take communication, especially if the wicker reads the book mid-nighttime.

That sounds ok for short nights, but what if the server wants a full moon every night for the duration of winter. Being forced to be afk for a set duration constantly could be a damper on people's experience.

I think Woodie mains would appreciate it if Klei didn't keep kicking this can down the road. They could do so much at this point.

Even a new book called "Curses explained" that keeps woodies from transforming, as this specific issue is tied to Wickerbottom. The book could even keep people from transforming into Wonky when they are at 9 trinkets about to collect a 10th (Wouldn't revert transformation only prolong the time before they take effect so wicker would need to be nearby and keep refreshing the effect). 

36 minutes ago, Sapientis said:

Хотя мне больше всего нравится цена Moon Rock Idol, потому что:

• для этого требуется Moon Rock (тематический) и Purple Gem (более высокая цена)
  • не заставляет Wickerbottom тратить новый Посох Зовущей Луну или замедлять активацию Древних Архивов
  • получить его в первые пару дней непросто, так как нужно получить Небесную Сферу или собрать Небесный Алтарь на Лунном острове.

Я бы предпочел, чтобы рецепт включал фиолетовые лунные линзы почти по той же цене, но пропускал требование доступа к небесной вкладке.
Если посещение Лунного острова является обязательным требованием, оставьте крылья лунного мотылька как часть рецепта, но, пожалуйста, только не еще один радужный самоцвет, мое бедное сердце уже плачет, когда я разбираю Посох Зовущей Луну с более чем половиной использований, оставшихся только для того, чтобы получить немного силы в Архивы.

изображение.png.6e96c13ccbe51d481560a5481452f5f3.png   изображение.png.8fa79cd7ede92c07f8c7257c8180e285.png   изображение.png.2d3fce407306690c1e1b0bbd4b2f5b2a.png

You're a little ahead of me, but not for good, I suggest adding lenses with 3 main ruin stones, this will solve just a ton of problems from the price to getting in a world without caves

Зелёная_лунная_линза.png

Жёлтая_лунная_линза.png

Оранжевая_лунная_линза.png

17 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

Pretty sure he needs to be hidden for the duration of the night, not just the beginning. Forcing a player to do nothing frequently at night gets old quick. 

Archived