Buff Telelocator Focus/Staff and Lazy deserter (Dont lock teleportation into characters)

If you are playing as a character with no perks, say wilson, your only 2 methods of fast traveling are lazy deserter, which requires more than 1 people, and telelocator staff and focus, which is extremely expensive and doesnt let you have more than one

both wanda and wortox can teleport anywhere theyve been in the map now, it kinda feels a little unfair that no one else can, locking fun abilities into specific character its just not fun for those that want to play as other characters

Spoiler

Im not saying just because a character can do something everyone should do it but fast traveling is one of those things that are too good to lock it into characters

Klei right now might be really clouded with all of this rework stuff but i hope that in a near qol both the deserter and the focus get buffed

That's the thing with unique abilities to characters. If you are REALLY into teleporting (trust me, I totally feel that too), there's no reason for you to not play a character that has one of these abilities.

If you then find the Teleporting character lacking because of other abilities, congrats, you've figured out that DST has a lot to do with choices, and you can't have everything at once :P.

Jokes aside, I think it's OK that not every character has fast travel abilities by themselves. Fast traveling is not everything in this game, and it gives opportunities to have to work together with friends to accomplish stuff more efficiently.
Ex: Moving a group of Wolfgang, Warly and Wigfrid using a Lazy deserter to a boss fight, such as Fuelweaver, so not everyone has to tire themselves out on the way there through the labyrinth, Warly then provides buffing foods for massive damage, Wigfrid does some AOE singing and Wolfgang thrashes out the Major damage.

This sounds much more fun to me than everyone just teleporting over, buffing themselves up and wailing on the boss.

Eh, I've played ~1600 Hours not being able to teleport across the map (aside lazy deserters), and I never found it unsatisfactory. Yes, I sometimes wished to be able to do that, and I sometimes just spammed soul hops to get somewhere, but it never was unsatisfactory to me.

Just don't worry about other characters being able to do it, and you'll be fine.

36 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

each character having their own role is great but not everyone wants to play wanda or wortox

So don't. Nobody is forcing you to. 

36 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

i get that dst is about choices and all but this type of choice is so unnatural and unsatisfactory

Why is choosing a character because they do certain things faster natural and satisfactory but choosing a character because they do a different certain thing faster unnatural and unsatisfactory? Wortox and Wanda move really fast, some characters like Wormwood move less fast but keep that speed in things like combat while having other perks, some characters don't have anything movement related and instead focus entirely on other perks like fighting and gathering fast.

If someone wants to teleport they pick Wortox or Wanda. If someone wants to create unique farms they pick Wickerbottom or Winona. If someone wants to be quiet they pick Wes. The whole point of characters is they do things better than others can. 

All characters have access to rider beefalo with glossamer saddle which is insanely fast and leaves you open to character swap with the portal. Both wanda and wortox require you to stay as that character to teleport. 

Honestly the rider is fast enough for me to travel the world quickly... i like swapping characters when playing solo on my private world, depending on wandas teleport network would limit my fun so much.

There is a group of people say Wortox is OP but somehow don't really want to play him. I must admit, in every fight with friendly Wortox 1-5 times I was attacking his nightmare creatures instead of boss. Also every moment in base or anywhere else... His insanity makes me insaneeeeeee...

While I hope one day to get upgrade of some old stuff, as much I don't mind diversity between characters.

7 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

They still exist and are perfectly viable, and thus nobody is locked out of teleportation. If you want cheap teleports, play the cheap teleport characters.

that is what i am specifically complaining, i dont want to switch to a character i dont like but i also not like to ride my rider glossamer beefalo for 5inutes to reach something, locking content away from you its the opposite of fun

buffing both focus and deserter wont hurt wanda or wortox, deserter for example can only exist in the first summer, while wanda can fast travel in the first winter, if you still want to enjoy fast traveling at its fullest you can play them, but there is no harm in using a lesser useful tp method either as other characters

the thing is that these tp methods are so uneficient that just feel like a huge waste of time to setup and are not fun at all, hence me asking them to be upgraded mainly because since klei has been adding a lot of fast traveling methods i though they didnt had a lot of balancing issues to implement more / upgrade the current ones, but maybe there is some complicated game decisions and rules that indicate that fast traveling must be only for certain characters that you must swap, i dont find that fun anyways

18 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

snip

I could maybe get behind making the rod + focus cheaper, though I'm not entirely sure how. Maybe make it so that teleporting yourself costs half or all of a rod's durability and still requires 3 gems to be socketed in the focus, but only consume one?

The deserter is fine. It rewards actually playing the game in a group with teleporting that's not too terribly expensive. A more expensive option for single player use could be okay.

But beyond that, I think it's totally fine for a couple characters to have a niche like this. Wanda enables cheap teleports to the team, and Wortox gets a couple more selfish perks to complement his team value and better justify his challenges.

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

locking content away from you its the opposite of fun

Tbh, more often than not THIS IS the fun.

I mean having everything/creative mode is fun as well, and you are very welcome to play that as well (or use mods), but most players enjoy the scramble with the limited stuff they have to thrive anyways.

Well in imho by unlocking fast travel or buffing the others items. I guess can screw a little Wanda's & Wortox's perks.

Not to mention tho, that's their unique perk.

Cannot be that equally. Just dont play with them. This is the purpose of having multiple characters with unique perks.

While I don't expect Klei buff the other items. They should made them rechargable or increase the duration or something. But not something like fast travel instantly to certain point just because Wanda & Wortox can.

Why we don't have a character that can do everything in the game ? summon a ghost, be a chef, engineer, robot, crazy reader book teacher, fast travel boy, drop souls to gain life etc.. etc.. With no downsides of course to know how bore the game can be.

Except Walter perks, nobody likes Walter. Jk. 

Saludos.

what if we could use orange gems in telelocator focuses? 1 orange gem would equal 3 purple gems. 

orange gems are also related to teleportation, so wouldn't be too weird. 

it might be too good though.(although considering you still need to craft a new staff every 5 uses, maybe it's fine?) 

also no idea how would you communicate that to a player. 

19 minutes ago, Mx-Pain said:

Except Walter perks, nobody likes Walter. Jk. 

But... but... I do! :wilson_cry:

Walter perks are funny tho, they are all buffs of the more niche stuff: sleep, beefalo, range combat, chester/hutch/critter hybrid.

Better sleeping with portable tent, a more accessible, less bucking beefalo, a critter/chester offspring that follows u in an out of caves and a ranged weapon that you will actually use compared with the darts that no one uses.

Thats why im always abit worried about klei buffing any of these mechanics without buffing walter first. Like giving beefalo a storage saddle is a big no no for me. Unless u buff woby first.

For Wanda and Wortox, teleporting is still meant to be somewhat expensive. Wanda take a lot of time to prepare a suitable teleportation hub, since you need a lot of tusks, and even moreso if you want to duplicate watches to overcome the high cooldowns. Wortox can easily burn through all his souls in a single hop, which means he can't return from where he left very quickly. Both Wanda and Wortox can help out other players via lazy deserter or a purple gem in Wanda's watch (though it would be cool if Wortox's naturally opened portals for players to use).  

For some characters, the tradeoff is potentially insane movement speed instead. WX and Wormwood can have 100% uptime turbo speed, and Wes can craft infinite speedy balloons that can be shared with other players.

Screw Wortox and Wanda, loading screens and walking is the harbinger of boring gameplay if you've already been in that area.

Their teleportation items already serve a higher purpose than the items the game gives us by being relatively "cheap" or by being more readily available.

Spoiler

Wortox teleportation is built into his character he can travel distance extremely quickly just by soul hopping away. And now he can even use the map to teleport to locations he already knows for a bigger soul investment it's extremely cheap but Wortox has to farm for those souls constantly sure it's alot easier and readily available than farming purple gems or relying on someone else to use the lazy deserter for you but it's still a constant time investment.

Wanda's teleportations aren't nearly as "cheap" to produce but they make up for that by recharging on their own she doesn't have to constantly be farming souls, purple gems, or rely on someone else to teleport her to where she needs to be all she needs is to wait out the cool down. Not only that but it's also multishard and she can teleport multiple people with her for just a purple gem.

She just has to pray for triple mctusk

Spoiler

ahaha-no.gif.cede9c22cc749b374279cd44e0bc8e30.gif

Klei please change it from needing a tusk to like orange gems or something just buff teleporting in general 

Telefocus with the telelocator is pretty expensive (it also can't be used in caves) more people use this item to make it rain than to teleport. But it does have one use above the rest and that's to teleport mobs around to desired locations especially for farms or zoos.

The lazy deserter literally can't even be used for it's sole purpose if you're playing alone and the the only thing that anyone ever brings up when you say that is

"you can lower ur sanity with it so it's not useless hur durr"

Spoiler

avatars-HgauoHMRyz6RFHVd-d2czYA-t500x500.jpg.e4a60834d21597120443bd0ff8afbd25.jpg

I'm not trying to lower my sanity by touchin this useless hunk of junk I'm trying to teleport without relying on someone else. If you need to put a drawback make it consume desert stones or use up twice the amount of sanity or SOMETHING

Wortox and wanda fast traveling dont affect the other characters, why would buffing the deserter and the focus affect these two

both deserter and focus are on a bad state, i have tested focus a lot, i setup a very efficient gem farm with the only purpose of purple gems not being an issue, and its still incredibily unsatisfactory to use it, drains almost half of my sanity, can only have 1 or 2 at a time and the stave cost is dumb

i would like to test the deserter but i cant even do that because its multiplayer locked

i dont want to swap characters for a feature, even less if the characters require a lot of spools which id rather spend on something else 

5 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

Tbh, more often than not THIS IS the fun.

I mean having everything/creative mode is fun as well, and you are very welcome to play that as well (or use mods), but most players enjoy the scramble with the limited stuff they have to thrive anyways.

comparing crative mode freedom to being able to do a feature freedom goes over the edge

5 hours ago, skile said:

what if we could use orange gems in telelocator focuses? 1 orange gem would equal 3 purple gems. 

orange gems are also related to teleportation, so wouldn't be too weird. 

it might be too good though.(although considering you still need to craft a new staff every 5 uses, maybe it's fine?) 

also no idea how would you communicate that to a player. 

simply making the staves have 10 uses, drain less sanity and let me choose to what focus i want would be enough for me, i also reccomended using only 1/3 purple gems out of the focus but i guess people would really want it to not overshadow wanda and wortox, so consuming the 3 gems is ok ig

6 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

The deserter is fine. It rewards actually playing the game in a group with teleporting that's not too terribly expensive. A more expensive option for single player use could be okay.

i have no idea how useful deserter is but i guess its there if you want to play with people

and about the other thing you said, yes i 100% agree that characters having an easier time fast traveling is totally ok though having a global option for that is something i would thrive for

i personally find wanda very enjoyable because of her teleport, a single teleport at base allow her to go anywhere on the map with the peace of mind of knowing that when things get rough or whatever she can just press her clock and poof back to safe, reducing the amount of resources she need to carry around

it is the same reason i enjoy walter, having access to woby to just move around the map feels very nice

now that Wortox will have access to that in a way, i feel i can either use my souls to get somewhere, gather more souls on that location and do my stuff then return, or just walk there and use my souls to hop back

another aspect of this is...anytime i play as those characters i miss the perks of other characters, i mess the cheap tent of walter, the clock of wanda, i miss abigail just decimating spiders without having to move a finger, and thats a good thing, every character should have something you miss about them when playing someone else

as useful as teleporting is, making it too common would diminish the uniqueness of the characters that have it easy

Archived