Buff Telelocator Focus/Staff and Lazy deserter (Dont lock teleportation into characters)

Reviving this for the upcoming august 2022 qol update

Here is all you need to know:

Both the telelocator items and the lazy deserter need a buff to their mechanics, as simple as that. The buff should be effective enough so its better than now but not too good so it doesnt overshadow characters that have tp abilities

Here are some questions that might pop up:

Wouldnt this make Wanda and Wortox ability less special?

Spoiler

No, it would not, as i said before as long as both of these items are buffed with these characters in mind it would be 100% more efficient playing as them to enjoy fast traveling at its fullest

When you use pigs as wilson, you still have fun with them even if you know wurt would be better, if you use morning star as wilson, you still have fun using it even if you know warly would be better, if you use bat bat as wilson, you still have fun using it even if you know wigfrid would be better

But when you use Telelocators focuses as wilson, you are not having fun, they are really awful to use, my petition is for klei to find that sweet spot where fast traveling its enjoyable to use as anyone and can be even better if you are playing as wanda or wortox

If fast traveling was decent as everyone, wouldnt this invalidate all of the other movility sources like beefalos and boats?

Spoiler

To me saying that the focus would overshadow the boats and beefalos is lke saying the celestial crown overshadows the torch, sure the earlier option isnt the best but the thing is that the player has EARNED the crown by doing a lenghty quest, the same way the player earns fast traveling by making an efficient and reliable late game gem farm

And also, Focuses cant be put on boats so you still would need a boat to get to places in the water without land, like waterlogged biomes that arent on shallow water

Why telelocator and deserter?

Spoiler

Telelocator:

I have set up a very efficient gem farm with the intention of never having a problem with telelocator focuses, and yet it still was very unsatisfactory to use, it wastes a lot of sanity, it has very few uses, you are limited to 1 or 2 focuses (land and surface only) so its a really underwhelming structure and item as it is now

Lazy deserter:

No need to explain, its multiplayer locked, its great and all that you can go to a deserter using a stone or another deserter, but its multiplayer locked, just no

How would you buff them?

Spoiler

Focus: Give it a total of 10 uses, instead of 5, reduce the sanity it drains, let you "link" a staff to a focus, that way you can have multiple across the map

Deserter: Let you "Let active" a deserter at the cost of 10% of your maximun sanity, when active a player can use other deserters or use a desert stone to get to them, just like you can do now, just that it can be done by 1 player

Thats all i have to say, thanks for reading

I think teleportation in this game is more of a luxury or a good buff in order to compensate for a bad downside (Wortox, arguably). Teleportation is not needed.

The telelocator items are too expensive to use though. It’s interesting how resetting the Aporkalypse works in Hamlet. Resetting it so frequently by going through a poisoned jungle and two temples/ruins—plus maybe having to leave either Shipwrecked or “Forest” or whatever—was too much, or so the devs thought. So they just outright gave us as  gib-purple-gems for shadow fuel structure.

6 hours ago, abrocator said:

I think teleportation in this game is more of a luxury or a good buff in order to compensate for a bad downside (Wortox, arguably). Teleportation is not needed.

Luxuries are fun, specially in late game after you have defeated everything 

I've never actually used the Telelocator because of how semi-useless it is (I'm not much for grand farming strategies personally)
Something I would like is for the Focus to be able to hold Desert Stones, Purple, or Orange Gems.
if the Focus has Desert Stones, it works similarly to the current one where it has 1 use before needing to be refilled.
If the Focus has Purple Gems, it has 6 charges before needed to be refilled.
If the Focus has Orange Gems it has 12 charges before needing to be refilled (since Orange is known for teleportation / Lazy)

For the Staff itself maybe have a Telelocator Staff that you make using just the Nightmare Fuel and Living Logs and can be socketed with either the Desert Stone, Purple Gem, or Orange Gem. The staff itself has infinite durability but the type of gem determines the number of uses.
Similarly to the Focus Desert Stone would need to be replaced every time having a 1 use per stone.
Purple Gem would give 3 uses per gem. (since it takes 2 gems to make the current itteration this would be a minor buff of +1 use)
Orange Gem would give 6 charges per gem.

Personally I'd like the focus to have unlimited durability and the bulk of the cost be tied to the staff but the suggestions I made above are naturally adjustable.

Deserter: Let you "Let active" a deserter at the cost of 10% of your maximun sanity, when active a player can use other deserters or use a desert stone to get to them, just like you can do now, just that it can be done by 1 player

There mod "Lazy Lazy Deserter" has it set to default 20% max sanity and I prefer that. It is just slightly above the threshold for hands while also being high enough that you dont have to worry about going insane constantly. Just my 2 cents.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:05 AM, Capybara007 said:

using staves and focuses to travel around would still be mediocre compared to wanda's watches, buffing them just a very little wouldnt hurt

unlike wickerbottom who is only identified by her book, wanda has an age meter, a custom weapon, and other tools that allow her to be unique, its not like if you take the fast traveling away from her she is now gonna be forgotten

i would question that

Sorry if my english sounds rude, i'm doing my best to not sound like that.

First and foremost this is a game made to be played with friends so most of things are balanced in this way. 

Wanda would not be forgotten but way less played, most of the people enjoy her cus it's easy to teleport, i do agree with some tweaks on teleports like 3 gems and not being able to use the lazy without other player is bs but when i'm playing with friends and i'm not using wanda i use at least lazy stone all the time.

You can't have everything in this game, u wanna easy and cheap teleport? Pick wortox or wanda, u wanna double damage any time? Wolfgang, wanna chop trees, find islands and tank some bosses without dificulty? Woodie is there for that.

If maxwell was not such bad character people would only pick wicker to craft books and give to maxwell, like winona which such bad character that every single world that i play, people only choose her for catapults then swich back... 

We should have alternative options but not as effective as character unique perks, wanda self teleport is cheap but her group teleport? not hard but not that cheap, it's way better to put lazy on important places and then ask to wanda to teleport there and activate to other people than grinding purple gems for team teleport.

I think we should buff telelocator using a lot of sanity and with little uses but without the 3 gems waste every time we use(same problem as wanda team teleport, to many items consumed)

Lazy teleport should work if you're playing solo(i think there's a mod that does that)

Btw i'm not Wanda main... i do play her but i'm myself, Wicker/Woodie/Warly and then Wanda... so i'm not trying to say she should be untouchable just cus i like her. 

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

, i do agree with some tweaks on teleports like 3 gems and not being able to use the lazy without other player is bs but when i'm playing with friends and i'm not using

Personally, those two things being addressed is all I'm asking for.

8 hours ago, Lord Cafe said:

First and foremost this is a game made to be played with friends so most of things are balanced in this way. 

That doesnt really justify anything

most of the people enjoy her cus it's easy to teleport

If wanda players dont like that others can teleport aswell then its their problem

wanda already has a lot of abilities like more range and damage at the cost of more risk, easy teammate revival and an iframe tool, wortox has sould healing both to himself and teammates, teleport abilities and soul consumption, its not like the only thing they have is teleportation, making it accesible to everyone will not affect them because people not only play them just because of tp

when i'm playing with friends and i'm not using wanda i use at least lazy stone all the time.

what do you do if there is no wanda or othrr players?

You can't have everything in this game, u wanna easy and cheap teleport? Pick wortox or wanda, u wanna double damage any time? Wolfgang, wanna chop trees, find islands and tank some bosses without dificulty? Woodie is there for that.

i dont want to have everything, i just want to have fun, and spending 5 minutes to do a mundane task like moving is not fun, its not hard either, its just a time loss

I think we should buff telelocator using a lot of sanity and with little uses but without the 3 gems waste every time we use(same problem as wanda team teleport, to many items consumed)

this statement kinda makes me feel you havent really tried focus

gems are the most easy part, the staves need a buff to their durability, and you should be allowed to have more than 1 or 2 focus

My whole point is that telelocator and deserter should be buffed, but not be better than wanda or wortox, which you agree, but the buffs that you ask for really are not gonna make a difference

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you can have a bunch of focus the thing is that you dont want to make the effort of thinking how to place them...

rn using a staff will take you to the nearest focus, this system is super bad because if you have a bunch of focuses and want to teleport you might aswell just walk to that point

and 2 Focuses are still bad since you need to be in a specific spot to use them

i dont understand what effort you are saying, if your map is filled with focuses on every important location then the maximun tiles you are gonna get teleported is so low that teleportation feels and becomes useless

Archived