What is missing in the base game and the Spaced out DLC

Spaced out is fun, and it provides much more value than the price. Anything that comes after this compares the game with its potential. Now that it is out of the way, let's just briefly review the DLC:

• Space is a fantastic addition to the base game. It creates so much potential for further developments and adds depth to Oni's world.
  • Designing spaceships for the first few times is fun, but it is a chore to copy everything after finding our optimal design. There is a need to micromanage too many small things for every space travel. Generally, we need steel, plastic, glass, food, exo-suits, metal, oxygen, temperature control inside the rocket, fuels, etc.
  • There is not enough interesting stuff to encourage exploring the space. Go there, pick up the Reed fiber... and you are done.
  • Seed mutations are not working in the current state. We need to track seeds one by one for a bit of gain.
  • Radiation is a nice touch, but a nuclear research reactor is an aquatuner /steam turbine system in disguise.

What is missing:

A sense of tension and danger. The world is a bit boring. After the first successful gameplay, there is not much value in repeating the game. When there is no risk to exploring, there is not much sense of pride and accomplishment (EA 2017). Minecraft is a great example. Every year they add a new hostile mob. Just look at their new mob (Warden). It is scary, adding more life and depth to the game. Just imagine the Minecraft world without any of its mobs and the night cycle. That's how Oni's world feels. That's one of the reasons the player base generally prefers the early games. There is a risk of dying due to a lack of oxygen or food. There is a goal and  a purpose to survive. 

The great thing about the Spaced out DLC is that it creates so many possibilities for different extension routes.

Here are a few suggestions:

• A planetoid with zombie dupes
  • Playing with light. A planetoid that everywhere is dark by default, and we need to use a source of light every few steps.
  • A combination of the first two that zombie dupes are afraid of the light.
  • A mode where the only way to get a new dupe is to find and unfreeze them. That creates a new challenge to use all different types of dupes.
  • Space stations and energy sinks to encourage us to generate more power. Currently, solar energy and a natural gas geyser are more than enough for most cases.
  • Just imagine space fights with new rockets. (Btw I wish there was an Oni spaceship figurine that we could buy.)
  • We can have a planetoid that is full of deadly viruses.
  • Super large rockets for long space flights. Imagine to reach this far away planetoid, we need to build a few space stations between our home planetoid and our destination planetoid.
  • Give us a goal. Imagine the lore was to release dupes from different planetoids, they are frozen, and we go and release them. Finally, a reason to visit other planetoids other than to get the Reedfiber.
  • Kid dupes, more relationships and interactions between them. Oni is in this niche spot, a simulation game, but every dupe has unique characteristics. 

These are a few suggestions that I thought they worth sharing with the community. Oni is one of my favorite games of all time, and I hope we see many more DLCs for it.

3912568-2f0e7-16345886554882-1920.jpg

I got to agree that space travel could use some improvements. I`d like to have a small oxygen module(1 height) to store some extra oxygen for short travels without taking so much space of the rocket. On the cluster worldgen you have all resources on different planetoids. You can build a base on each or keep using rockets to transfer stuff like oil, uranium or water.

Seed mutations take way too long to get. I can plant someting next to a crashed satelite and it still takes hundreds of cycles to mutate. Getting a full farm of mutated plants (with the same mutation) takes forever. It needs to have a higher probability to mutate and we need an ability to multiply the seeds.

I wish the reactor did something more. Maybe it could create aspecial resource like plutonium that could be used as a better radiation source for rad lamps.

As for dangers ONI would need some imptovements for dupe control for that to be interesting. Also the ene,y AI needs imptovement. Currently the enemies often ignore dupes. Still if enemies are just a danger you`d be doing stuff like dropping hot magma on them or disposing the somehow without dupes interacting. It`s really hard to make interesting combat with how the current game works.

Maybe some cool scenarios could work. Like the only frozed dupes idea. Maybe extra dupes could be found in space as well. They would be in capsules collected instead of artifacts.

It's sad that other planetoids can be ignored a bit too easily after collecting some material that's available there. For example niobium is only available on the lava planet, but with the weird way the recipes around it work, you just need a little and afterwards because you can turn thermium into niobium 1:1. Just removing that would mean you may need a more permanent presence on the lava planet and tame the niobium volanco.

But it's an issue with other stuff too. Oil is an exception and even that can be skipped entirely because they are so many alternate production chains for things. Which on the one hand is nice, but it also allows you skip much of the content.

For danger, I'd also like to bring back more serious diseases. Not just the possibility of death, but making them a bigger issue for dupes. Like in Rimworld where people are bedridden and need to be cared for. Would also make doctors and the hospital an actual necessity.

Overall, I agree with what you said: DLC is great and makes the game strictly better, with no downsides when compared to vanilla. Yet, there is much that can be even better.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, evilcat19xx said:

Just look at their new mob (Warden). It is scary, adding more life and depth to the game. Just imagine the Minecraft world without any of its mobs and the night cycle. That's how Oni's world feels.

Just adding enemies wouldn't solve this issue - ONI is not this kind of game. Dangers - sure, but try to think about something else than enemies to kill. Exploration itself could be the source of many risks - quicksands, earthquake stunning and trapping your dupes, dangerous stress and morale swings, dry season halting plant growth, germs - about those there is already enough feedback topics... Enemies to kill would be just killed and the game would become stale again...

Playing with light. A planetoid that everywhere is dark by default, and we need to use a source of light every few steps.

Every one of them is dark. The issue is that lack of light does not really impact the game...

A combination of the first two that zombie dupes are afraid of the light.

That's a great idea, except I don't like zombie part... but if we had some bats who run away from the light - much better. They could be infected with rabies, so their bites would be extra dangerous

Just imagine space fights with new rockets.

Just no.

We can have a planetoid that is full of deadly viruses.

good idea, but we could start with rebalance of existing diseases. Or at least severity option.

22 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Seed mutations take way too long to get. I can plant someting next to a crashed satelite and it still takes hundreds of cycles to mutate. Getting a full farm of mutated plants (with the same mutation) takes forever. It needs to have a higher probability to mutate and we need an ability to multiply the seeds.

THIS! It's really a shame that such a cool idea and advanced implementation to achieve it is in fact useless... Mutants should drop seeds with their mutation or there should be a machine that allows you to clone existing mutation to another seed of this kind

Oni is one of my favorite games of all time, and I hope we see many more DLCs for it.

To be fair, I'd rather see more polished DLCs. I understand why Klei had to stop SO! development and release it, but there is so many things there that could be much, much better with a little more polish...

On 5/29/2022 at 2:57 PM, Sasza22 said:

I wish the reactor did something more. Maybe it could create aspecial resource like plutonium that could be used as a better radiation source for rad lamps.

I never felt the need even to use the lead suit. 

I`d like to have a small oxygen module(1 height) to store some extra oxygen for short travels without taking so much space of the rocket.

I would like to see a new smart storage bin so that we can determine how much from each resource we need. For example, it will send a green signal only if we have 2kgs of steel, 4kgs of iron, and 3kgs of plastic. Now we need one storage bin for each resource.

They would be in capsules collected instead of artifacts.

I agree. And it should be pretty easy to implement. I don't mind if some of them need long-term recovery in the hospital before we can use them.

3 hours ago, pether said:

Just adding enemies wouldn't solve this issue - ONI is not this kind of game. Dangers - sure, but try to think about something else than enemies to kill. Exploration itself could be the source of many risks - quicksands, earthquake stunning and trapping your dupes, dangerous stress and morale swings, dry season halting plant growth, germs - about those there is already enough feedback topics... Enemies to kill would be just killed and the game would become stale again...

I like the idea of enemies because it adds more life to other planetoids, and we will have some events in the game. There are ways to implement it without it becoming stale. Right now, there is not much to explore and no risk to exploring the other planetoids.  Imagine if we need to build anticraft systems for some of our planetoids. The goal would be to release the frozen dupes form every planetoids. 

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

3 hours ago, pether said:

Every one of them is dark. The issue is that lack of light does not really impact the game...

I know every one of them is dark, but I am looking to see the impact on the game play.

kzyDiLA.png

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=#000000&letterbox=false

What's missing? Bug fixes. Lots and lots of bug fixes.

I don't play as often as I did or as often as I would because there are so many bugs in this game.

I have seen so many others play on Twitch and just get frustrated or confused by the bugs, and you can see the interest in the game just disappears.

On 5/31/2022 at 2:07 AM, yoakenashi said:

I don't play as often as I did or as often as I would because there are so many bugs in this game.

What bug is the worst and makes you feel you don`t want to play? Personally most of the time the bugs don`t bother me so i wonder which ones break the game for people.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

What bug is the worst and makes you feel you don`t want to play?

There isn't any one bug that makes me feel this way (although the wall toilets not releasing restrictions on launch is high on my frustration list right now). And the issue isn't that the bugs cause the game to crash (the Devs fix those very quickly, and I'm glad that allows others to get back to playing). The issue for me is: there are so many bugs and that I run into one of them after playing for just a little while.

And before I continue I do want to say that there have been several bugs I have posted or have added to that have been resolved in the past year such as door permissions breaking, flying critters getting stuck underwater (just recently fixed), resource display problem, duplicants getting stuck in mid air, rocket modules breaking, and rockets disappearing during landing. So I am definitely not saying the Devs aren't busy or don't care; I know they are busy and do care (plus they've told us that many times in the release posts).

But here is my list of bugs that haven't been resolved (or at least these specific bug reports are still marked pending) that I posted or added to in the past year. Not all of these have made me exit the game, but some have.

Spoiler

Cannot select puflet eggs:

Spoiler

Attack priority not working:

Spoiler

Wall toilet stops working:

Spoiler

Drag commands breaking during saves (partially resolved):

Spoiler

Rover stops working:

Spoiler

Loaders/unloaders stop working:

Spoiler

Pathing to rockets breaking:

Spoiler

Outhouse stops working:

Spoiler

Duplicants stop venting oil wells:

Spoiler

Partial Evaporation (Flaking) Bug:

Spoiler

Animation errors:

Spoiler

Pacu pathing breaking:

Spoiler

On 5/30/2022 at 6:45 PM, evilcat19xx said:

I am looking to see the impact on the game play.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I played with the "Lights Out (Darkness Revived)" mod before. It was a great new experience; and really changed the gameplay, pacing, and mood of the game. But I don't think it should be part of the base game; staying a mod is best in my opinion.

Thanks @Cairath for making and maintaining that mod.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, evilcat19xx said:
  • Give us a goal. Imagine the lore was to release dupes from different planetoids, they are frozen, and we go and release them. Finally, a reason to visit other planetoids other than to get the Reedfiber.

Loved the post. This mode should be the next DLC! Would do a lot to put a stop to endgame ennui.

A way to send only the rover and you lose the ship so you don't have to send a dupe to space. 

The new Data Bank Research is very tedious, you have to send a dupe to space and let him to use the device so he can create data banks, very annoying.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:07 PM, Sebastiangperez said:

The new Data Bank Research is very tedious, you have to send a dupe to space and let him to use the device so he can create data banks, very annoying.

The whole research process would benefit from a rework. Right now, it is just a task you do, and then you are done with it.  

On 5/30/2022 at 11:10 AM, Steve8 said:

For danger, I'd also like to bring back more serious diseases. Not just the possibility of death, but making them a bigger issue for dupes. Like in Rimworld where people are bedridden and need to be cared for. Would also make doctors and the hospital an actual necessity.

I agree with this, mostly.  I'm fine with the way it is by default, but a "deadly diseases" toggle would be grand.

Archived