Teleportation through the caves

The arrival of Wanda is a real game changer in terms of teleportation. In my opinion, most of the other characters in the game have gameplay possibilities that can be generally matched in other ways, mainly with higher costs. For example, it is possible to have Wortox jump using the lazy explorer, Woby by taming a beefalo etc.
Today I'm annoyed because Wanda is the only one who can teleport through the caves. I farm almost every 20 days the ancient guardian and the ancient fuelweaver. I would appreciate to be able to use some gems with the telelocator focus to ease my game. I don't use Wanda in this world, but it would be more profitable for me to change character just to use this ability, do the bosses and change again.
Can't we allow teleportation with telelocator staff in the caves?

The thing is, there already is a more expensive alternative to teleporting to the ruins: Walking.

I hope it remains that Wanda is the only character with this ability. Her whole jig is that she saves a lot of time, and she's one of the few characters that actually serves a niche unattainable through other characters, and it's entirely useful.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Lightning can't reach the underground :geek:

What a magnificent straw man. The primary quality of teleportation (or telelocation ingame) is to transport someone. It turns out that for punitive reasons, the developers chose to attach a constraint to it being that a lightning bolt randomly strikes the map on the surface, in order to create a risk if the usage is not thoughtful. Typically, just using the telelocation next to a lightning rod negates this constraint.
In caves, lightning is replaced by an earthquake, with similar risks. I think we can assume that it is the shadows that do the telelocation of the characters, not necessarily the lightning. I'll be brutally honest: I haven't used telelocation for years (IRL) so I don't remember the animation. The one time I find it useful and a way to get my gems out, it turns out it doesn't work.
Wouldn't that be a wonderful evolution of gameplay?

3 hours ago, ethannnnnnn said:

The thing is, there already is a more expensive alternative to teleporting to the ruins: Walking.

The best part of the game. 100% gameplay, much fun, much wow. I like to do it 20 times, I learn new things each time.

Once I put a path of cobblestones, locked the monkeys in fences and placed some rabbit huts in the labyrinth, I only have to walk for 6 good minutes to reach the ancient guardian. And to do the opposite to get the tentacle at the entrance of the atrium, before returning.
15 minutes of walking, 5 minutes of gameplay (I shorten the fight against the ancient fuelweaver with gunpowder).
Is it a walking simulator ?
I could spend those 15 minutes feeding slurtles, creating earthquakes to get gems for example. it would be more engaging, fun and it would create other resources. It would give these monsters a purpose too.

It's not more expensive. it's less fun and a time sinker when you have to repeat and repeat and repeat.

This only encourages switching characters with Winona to place catapults, rather than going to the trouble of creating houndius shootius.

3 hours ago, ethannnnnnn said:

she's one of the few characters that actually serves a niche unattainable through other characters, and it's entirely useful.

We have the same analysis on this point, but totally opposite visions.

3 hours ago, eduward said:

how about lazy deserter ?

how about playing by yourself or the other problem of needing someone who is sitting conveniently in the guardian arena so you can teleport to them

19 minutes ago, Ornge said:

how about playing by yourself or the other problem of needing someone who is sitting conveniently in the guardian arena so you can teleport to them

Just have one Wanda in your team teleport there first and have her activate the Lazy Deserter.

image.png.26413ac6205732b52d46df29a5f2499c.png

4 hours ago, ethannnnnnn said:

The thing is, there already is a more expensive alternative to teleporting to the ruins: Walking

beefalos are a thing but those users seem to forget cuz wanna play wanda without playing wanda

1 hour ago, Caochu said:

What a magnificent straw man

lmao

1 hour ago, Caochu said:

The best part of the game. 100% gameplay, much fun, much wow. I like to do it 20 times, I learn new things each time.

Once I put a path of cobblestones, locked the monkeys in fences and placed some rabbit huts in the labyrinth, I only have to walk for 6 good minutes to reach the ancient guardian. And to do the opposite to get the tentacle at the entrance of the atrium, before returning.
15 minutes of walking, 5 minutes of gameplay (I shorten the fight against the ancient fuelweaver with gunpowder).
I could spend those 15 minutes feeding slurtles, creating earthquakes to get gems for example. it would be more engaging, fun and it would create other resources. It would give these monsters a purpose too.

It's not more expensive. it's less fun and a time sinker when you have to repeat and repeat and repeat.

This only encourages switching characters with Winona to place catapults, rather than going to the trouble of creating houndius shootius.

You could reduce so many things in this game to being unfun because it's repetitive. Why not give us cars? It's unfun to walk everywhere all the time. Why not give us planes while we're at it? Cars are too slow. Picking resources is not fun at all. I get 0 enjoyment from grabbing twigs and grass. In fact, I think it hurts my mental if anything. Why not just make it faster at least? Because it's part of the fundamental gameplay loop. Whether it's intentional or not, a huge policy of this game is tedium. You're constantly doing something to maintain something and it's very rarely easy or efficient. It's oftentimes painstakingly boring and slow.

If you want fast travel, pick the character that provides you fast travel. Why should they implement another resource that removes the need for that character?

46 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

What do you think strawman means

it means what you did. You implied the reason cave teleportation does not exist is because lightning can't reach the underground, implying it is lightning that "moves" the item or character.

Since you can and often do place rods where you telelocate from and to in order to prevent damage, lightning does not get to touch either the object or the telelocator focus, so the object is not moved by lightning, therefore lightning is not required for teleportation.

1 hour ago, Caochu said:

What a magnificent straw man. The primary quality of teleportation (or telelocation ingame) is to transport someone. It turns out that for punitive reasons, the developers chose to attach a constraint to it being that a lightning bolt randomly strikes the map on the surface, in order to create a risk if the usage is not thoughtful. Typically, just using the telelocation next to a lightning rod negates this constraint.
In caves, lightning is replaced by an earthquake, with similar risks. I think we can assume that it is the shadows that do the telelocation of the characters, not necessarily the lightning. I'll be brutally honest: I haven't used telelocation for years (IRL) so I don't remember the animation. The one time I find it useful and a way to get my gems out, it turns out it doesn't work.
Wouldn't that be a wonderful evolution of gameplay?

Your efforts are commendable and your arguments are correct, unfortunately for some reason many people not only enjoy mindless repetitive walking/riding, they also insist that other methods must not exist for people that don't quite enjoy mindless repetitive walking. I've insisted on teleportation many times before.

The game should have a porting system in place, much more than the clunky telelocator, and no, lazy deserter does not count since a person must be there (WALK there) for you to port. Even the ability to move existing wormholes and tentapillars (at great cost) would be a decent way to solve this.

i mean, not like ability to use telelocator focus in caves gonna kill Wanda.

her backtrack watch will have advantages either way. they're more portable, they don't have durability and additional cost after you craft them and it's easy to relocate their anchor point in case you need it (+they work between shards). 

telelocator focus requires 3 purple gems per teleportation + 1/5 of a staff, so it would take some time before you can use them regularly. 

1 hour ago, ethannnnnnn said:

Picking resources is not fun at all. I get 0 enjoyment from grabbing twigs and grass. In fact, I think it hurts my mental if anything. Why not just make it faster at least? Because it's part of the fundamental gameplay loop. Whether it's intentional or not, a huge policy of this game is tedium. You're constantly doing something to maintain something and it's very rarely easy or efficient. It's oftentimes painstakingly boring and slow.

Lureplant farm exist. Actually, a lot of things can be done differently and not feel as tedious. A lot of activities have an alternate way to complete.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

beefalos are a thing but those users seem to forget cuz wanna play wanda without playing wanda

What a way to reduce the argument. We don't ask to teleport like Wanda, we wonder why we can't use the telelocation at one of the only moments it would be useful to us.

Also, you are talking to a Wormwood player, going in the caves with a coblestones path, blooming and a walking cane. I don't take mailuminescence thought. Still, I go faster than riding a beefalo, so what was your point exactly ?

That's what we call a strawman, @Cheggf and @ArubaroBeefalo

A straw man (sometimes written as strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the real subject of the argument was not addressed or refuted, but instead replaced with a false one.

3 hours ago, Caochu said:

What a magnificent straw man.

That's good ol Cheggf :wilson_cool:

PS: I am indifferent about the Telelocator buff to work between shards.

Pointing out just in case. I don't think it's needed or harmful if it were to work between shards.

Being able to move wormholes around or some other kinds of low effort shard/map wide teleportation is a big NO from me tho.

7 hours ago, Ornge said:

Easy solution just clone yourself and have your clone be the lazy deserter user, its simple. this is sarcasm 

5 hours ago, reallychina said:

it means what you did. You implied the reason cave teleportation does not exist is because lightning can't reach the underground, implying it is lightning that "moves" the item or character.

Since you can and often do place rods where you telelocate from and to in order to prevent damage, lightning does not get to touch either the object or the telelocator focus, so the object is not moved by lightning, therefore lightning is not required for teleportation.

He… didnt imply that at all actually. In fact im almost entirely certain that this was a joke.

5 hours ago, reallychina said:

Your efforts are commendable and your arguments are correct

Is that an alt of yours or what?

Also a strawman is making up a false version of your opponents claim and attacking it instead of your opponents argument, egg man wasnt doing that = not a strawman.

11 hours ago, ethannnnnnn said:

I hope it remains that Wanda is the only character with this ability. Her whole jig is that she saves a lot of time, and she's one of the few characters that actually serves a niche unattainable through other characters, and it's entirely useful.

She has more than enough advantages over other survivors already I don't see why true fast travel should be completely locked behind her.

Archived