Should Klei start a DST board game?

Should Klei start a DST board game?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should Klei start a DST board game?

1 hour ago, kilobit said:

if scott the woz monopoly exists you can put anything on that damn board

I want Monopoly Monopoly where all the cards and tiles are just different versions of Monopoly.

8 minutes ago, Waoling said:

Why not? why do people hate board games?

Bc it's already a video game. A multiplayer video game. 

Which most people play alone. 

A board game might be a miss

3 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Bc it's already a video game. A multiplayer video game. 

Which most people play alone. 

A board game might be a miss

the binding of isaac card game is popular and that is from a single-player game and they make a successful card game, so why can't DST do the same?

1 minute ago, Waoling said:

the binding of isaac card game is popular and that is from a single-player game and they make a successful card game, so why can't DST do the same?

Didn't know card games qualify as board games. Unless the cards are really big and thick 

Am I the only one tired of comparing DST to every game ever? 

For real tho, i am not against board games, and hate them only because I lose every time. I just think it's good to be a pessimist with stuff like this, since it's something that requires time and investment and can end up being a giant flop. 

I don't know how the game could translate into a board game, and if it was a reskin of an already existing game, there isn't a reason for buying it over the original game other than because it has the Don't Starve characters, which will only be bought by DST fans, and that is a bad strategy if Klei wants the brand/series to get more attention. People don't buy and play Five Nights at Freddys' Monopoly because of Monopoly, they do because it has FnaF elements and people who haven't heard of FnaF won't buy it.

Kickstarter board games (sometimes) try to bring something new to the table, rules and mechanics that are different from other games and make an interesting gameplay, so if it's based on an existing IP, people that don't know about it can enjoy it as much as people who know about it.

I was thinking more like Kickstarter boardgame since they usually really and since with DST huge fanbase it probably reach its goal.

5 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Didn't know card games qualify as board games. Unless the cards are really big and thick 

They count as board game.

21 minutes ago, Waoling said:

I was thinking more like Kickstarter boardgame since they usually really and since with DST huge fanbase it probably reach its goal.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it will interest all of the fans, when theodd1sout made a Kickstarter for his first board game, it only received 4,000 backers when he had over 8 million subscribers, that's not even a 1% of his fans that payed for it.

1 minute ago, Just-guy said:

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it will interest all of the fans, when theodd1sout made a Kickstarter for his first board game, it only received 4,000 backers when he had over 8 million subscribers, that's not even a 1% of his fans that payed for it.

It's because of the controversy surrounding it.

27 minutes ago, Waoling said:

It's because of the controversy surrounding it.

I'm sorry for going out of topic but what controversy? The Kickstarter was from 2018 and controversies involving theodd1sout were from 2020, the only problematic things that came from the game was that the product quality was bad and that the game was just the card game Spoons with extra steps and these problems were shown after the Kickstarter ended and delivered to backers.

The low amount of backers could be because his fan base are young kids that are not able to buy the game on their own and people that simply weren't interested.

9 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

I'm sorry for going out of topic but what controversy? The Kickstarter was from 2018 and controversies involving theodd1sout were from 2020, the only problematic things that came from the game was that the product quality was bad and that the game was just the card game Spoons with extra steps and these problems were shown after the Kickstarter ended and delivered to backers.

The low amount of backers could be because his fan base are young kids that are not able to buy the game on their own and people that simply weren't interested.

Sorry, I thought that there was a controversy during the Kickstarter anyway, you bring a good point but I think the reason why not a lot of backers is because the game is just not interesting, the concept of TBOI 4 soul is interesting and full of charm (also the fact that TBOI is a video game franchise with lore and stuff and not an internet cartoon also help) that why there a lot of backers.

The story of Stardew Valley, the boardgame is quite interesting, and we received one after ordering it last christmas.

A guy that was a boardgame amateur designer posted on reddit a stardew valley concept, and the game creator actually contacted him and the game was born. The game is really well made tbh, it's a recommendation of mine.

Here's Your First Look At Stardew Valley's Charming Board ...

If you guys want a boardgame, the best shot is to have some member from the community make a prototype and share it with the world. Keep in mind, the guy that made the boardgame was actually hella talented for some reason.

I'd like Klei to earn more time/energy/resources than they spend on any project they invest time/energy/resources into. In other words, I'd like them to profit. I want them to be as greedy as they can possibly be without lying, stealing or physically harming living organisms. 
If they can earn time/energy/resources by manufacturing a board game, great.
I'm not a fan of anything Klei  (or any other business) does that is not profitable in one way or another. I'm not a fan of non-profit businesses, I'm not a fan of charity, I'm not a fan of scams and I'm not a fan of wasting time/energy/resources.

I will never buy a Tabletop Board Game regardless of what the theme and layout is, but if a lot of people want to spend their time/energy/resources on that, I wish the project all the best.

In the old days board games would have been profitable when I had friends/family to play them with, but now days I have no friends & most my family is in jail or dead..

A board game would be of no use to me, but it would make a pretty cool collectible I guess (I still got Pokémon Monopoly unopened)

Yvio Tarascon Brettspiel in 6134 Marktgemeinde Vomp für 20,00 € zum Verkauf  | Shpock DE

what about this kinda thing? even if i dont think that the "iyvio" realy exist anymore, but it had some board games, wich used some sort of video game kinda thing at the same time, like, there was this white circle you see up left on this picture, where you put a game cart into it and its like a board game whit that thing talkin to you to some sort tell the game rules and stats and the likes

I've had an idea for a board game for a looooooooong time! I really hope they pull it off. 

My idea is this:

You choose a character with perks (combat, gathering, speed, etc)

The map is split into many, many segments (like chess) with different segments falling in different biomes. You move 1 segment per turn unless an item or perk allows more.

Each biome has a different stack of cards that are "event" cards respective to that biome. These cards dictate if you encounter a mob, resource, boon, etc. Each segment moved allows for multiple draws of the event cards (speed is very important, although some perks double what ever card you got). Mob encounters can be skipped (goes at the bottom of the pile) but some mobs have consequences for running, some can be given items cards for different loot or befriended. For example you can encounter a pig card and trade a meat item card for the pig card and then use the pig card to deal damage and have the damage be dealt to the pig. Below the pig is the "loot table" that you roll a die for when the pig dies.

Crafting is dependent on the cards (mob/events) you encounter and will display on the event card itself. There will be a section on the bottom half (above loot in some cases) detailing how the encounter may go if you have the correct resource cards (different scenerrios require different cards) or none. Some items cards can be award from boons like the "walking cane" card which let's you outpace some mobs and cause that mob to be "lost" or redirected to another player if they're nearby. For example, if you encounter a hound card, you can pay a few grass cards/flint card/and stick cards to craft a spear and fight it and use resources cards to mitigate damage. You can also run away but the hound in this case will follow and if you can't out speed it you have to roll for damage every turn. 

There is a "master" events pile that has to be drawn and affects the whole group every few cycles. This is where the different "modes" can be set up but the "default" order is always the same. These cards are always face up so people know when and what is coming into effect soon.

Cards include "night" where you must pay resource cards for a torch or suffer.

Hound wave, where you must fight it or it will stay in effect for all players that were unable to kill their hound (players near each other can help each other but you don't have to!)

Winter, this card doesn't go immediately away and lingers for a few cycles. At then end the card is flipped over and the boss deerclops is revealed. 

A hunger check card where you gotta eat something.

Just a rough idea, I know it's not perfect, but I tried to keep it simple and as close to the game as possible. 

On 5/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, Waoling said:

DST Card Game? HECK YES. Maybe not board game cuz it might be weird

Archived