New WX Mostly Overshadows Wormwood

I love the WX rework, his modules feel very refreshing and fun, I even think he may do with slight buffs to some modules. But the Wormwood lover inside me is a bit sad since now there is a character who can do nearly everything Wormwood can better and without any major penalties. For people who aren't familiar with Wormwood, most important things he brings to the table is:

- Ability to tend to plants automatically - WX has a module for this

- A constant speed bonus of 12-20%, depending on how you are keeping it up - WX has 2 modules for this that gives him an even bigger speed boost.

- Being able to craft Bramble Husk - This is still unique to him, as the thorns module doesn't deal AoE damage.

Wormwood has a ton of other bonuses, I just listed the most significant ones. WX also doesn't have the downsides of not being able to heal through food, having to worry about sanity to farm wood and not having a higher hunger drain to keep his bonuses up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want WX rework to get changed or anything but it would be nice if Wormwood got something in the future to make him viable again, after this update I feel like he may just become the new challenge character. I just want the best for the planty boi.

2 hours ago, DawnMad said:

Ability to tend to plants automatically - WX has a module for this

which you need to equip and waste slots and is something every other character can do in 1st autumn with a one man band while wx needs a shellbell. The noticeable part is to directly plant without tilling the ground plus knowinf everything about the plant needs without garderner hat

- Being able to craft Bramble Husk - This is still unique to him, as the thorns module doesn't deal AoE damage

- wx's damage on hit is bad and isnt aoe plus doesnt help you picking cacti and spicky bushes

- A constant speed bonus of 12-20%, depending on how you are keeping it up - WX has 2 modules for this that gives him an even bigger speed boost

which needs a trip to the ruins and for having a huge one you waste 4 slots while wormwood just needs to farm some nitre+manure or fish few fish

but it would be nice if Wormwood got something in the future to make him viable again

how is him inviable? did someone break his legs? isnt a competitive game and, idk you, but when i play him is because i want to play arround his downside not because save me 1second while tending plants....

4 hours ago, DawnMad said:

- Ability to tend to plants automatically - WX has a module for this

It's easier to bloom then it is to get a shell bell especially early game

4 hours ago, DawnMad said:

- A constant speed bonus of 12-20%, depending on how you are keeping it up - WX has 2 modules for this that gives him an even bigger speed boost.

Wormwood was never supposed to be a great character, he is like wes but plant themed

5 hours ago, DawnMad said:

Ability to tend to plants automatically - WX has a module for this

Every other character (including WX) can simply talk to plants, which doesn't need you to sail, find crabking, get the shells and then use your circuit slots. 

Also, one man band exists and does basically the same thing, except it's cheaper and way easier to get

25 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

There's actually people out there that use Compost Wrap for Blooming? And I thought I was weird for using massive stacks of Rot for healing because I was lazy rather than converting all that into Compost.

in early  i do often and in late game sometimes and more if im wounded so instead of using batbat i can use the compost outside of combat (you dont need to be all the time at 100% hp during combat). Killing monkeys gives you a lot of rot, a lot of stacks of manure (they store it) and even nitre if they picked from earthquakes or you can always do the old werepig trick. Nitre is something that ends up acumulating

but using rot for healing is something i never could, maybe one of 2 at once but more... i dont have patience xD

Infinite living logs for no inventory slots, being by far the best farmer able to easily amass years worth of food, having great sanity management both ways, and plenty of other lesser perks are a lot better than moggles that don't need to be repaired or whatever else you're going to fit on the last 4 slots. That's even ignoring how much more effort wx has to put in to get his stuff.

P.S. because tapping the omb is basically free on every character taking off circuits just to tend to plants is a bit silly, once again even ignoring all the effort required to get those circuits in the first place.

Unfortunately, comparing him directly to Wx-78 is going to draw negative reception.

People that don't play Wormwood extensively will only see a surface comparison and easily draw the conclusion that the comparison is wrong.

People seem to go back and forth with their opinions only suggesting what suits them. When Wolfgang was nerfed the outcry was "Haha Wolfgang is no longer Op" with the intention that it was great that Wolfgang no longer stepped on the toes of other characters. How else would you draw a distinction where a character is "Op", other than comparing them to what other characters can accomplish? Why else would a key developer mention that one of the reasons was so other characters could "shine"?. This isn't a moba but we all desire a wide breath of variety and approach when it comes to the cast of survivors. Balance in a game is healthy, it helps in our impression that every character has a place in the game.

Now why, why do people so adamantly, so vehemently obstruct our desire to want wormwood to "shine"? Having overlaps in a game with so many characters is normal, yes, but not to this degree. The issue isn't so simple though, it goes beyond wormwood simply being "similar" to Wx-78, what's truly enviable is the cohesion his kit provides; in how complete Wx-78 is presented.

Wormwood has the absolute most healing impactful downside in the game. Wormwood is the ONLY character who cannot heal large amounts of health instantly. Bat bat, jelly means, and all other available forms of healing only do so in small increments. Yet what exactly is given in return for such a downside? Nothing. This downside was because wormwood had an immunity to hay fever and other perils in the Hamlet jungle. In DST nothing is provide and nothing is replaced.

As this is comparison thread I will highlight the incorrect assumptions some seem to make

Bramble husk vs Electrification circuit

Firstly, one is a utility at most and the other is a bonafide thorn effect.

The bramble husk has a plethora of weaknesses that keep it from being used as an effective way to reflect damage. What's worse is that all the small uses it provide are borderline useless to wormwood but I will detail that in another post. 

The bramble husks aoe effect implies it's best use is in hordes but it's incredibly low durability and protection means on its own the wearer will take very large amounts of damage and possibly die. Add that healing in small increments and you have a problem. Wx-78 thorn effect, on top of being more than 3 times the effect, is also an innate ability. Meaning you can wear armor on top of it and you can even boost it's thorn effect with a bramble husk. Wx-78 has no healing downside greatly improving the synergy with a thorn ability past what wormwood can accomplish, with his own item no less.

The difference in speed multiplier

The fact that this is even needs to be discussed is a joke. A 20% speed increase that requires infinite upkeep vs a 25% permanent speed increase doesn't have room for debate. Because you have to go down to the ruins? He has a module that lets him see in the dark, the single most dangerous peril about being underground. Because it takes time? Obtaining bottles and having them cycle to where you can be blooming yearly around takes longer than the 8 or so days it takes to reach the ruins. Because Wormwood can bloom sooner? What about the exponential net loss of hardly being able to bloom the first winter? What good is it to have an inconsistent speed modifier so early when your bound to lose it the second the next season rolls around? What's more, this is supposed to be Wormwood's BIGGEST perk and Wx-78 just so happens to casually have it in his back pocket.

Tending to plants

This is a joke perk BOTH to Wormwood and Wx-78, a very very slight bonus that an item can do infinitely better due to ease of access. The grieves is when Wx-78 has casually donned Wormwood's most powerful perk, his speed, and then also casually overlaps one of Wormwood's niche perks. Why, oh, why does Wx-78 have this other than to invite further comparison? 

3 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

People that don't play Wormwood extensively will only see a surface comparison and easily draw the conclusion that the comparison is wrong.

well my second played character seems that isnt wormwood...

tired of always reading "someone doesnt play X and for that disagrees", same happend with the wolf rework which, what an irony, overlaps with woodie, maxwell and warly in a higher way but nobody complained

the comparison is wrong because they only real thing that they share are speed, is the only thing the other 2, as i already explained, have little sense

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Infinite living logs for no inventory slots,

Healing does not require inventory slots? 

Let me ask you in what purpose do you think the greatest use of living logs lies?

In darkswords, so is one to casually perform self harm mid battle with the only character that can only heal in small increments? Is that how you imply that living logs take up no inventory space and can just casually be pulled from the void? 

Any good wormwood player will have these logs premade. I invite you to play more Wormwood solo rather than make surface assumptions. 

As for the fuel, do you know how long it takes for Wormwood to gather fuel? Depending on the boss it takes usually over a day. Look no further than basic math to conclude that characters with damage multipliers actually have better synergy with darkswords than the character that can provide the rarest ingredients in it's recipe.

The time it takes to farm the fuel, the durability to damage ratio and the ease of obtainment via gnomes should all be calculated before claiming Wormwood has any advantage in merely providing living logs.

The ease of providing living logs is just that and nothing more.

being by far the best farmer able to easily amass years worth of food,

As apposed to any other character? Auto farms exist.

having great sanity management both ways, and plenty of other lesser perks are a lot better than moggles

I would trade all the sanity management and lesser perks in the world to have permanent moggles. 

I would actually have a use for the bramble husk in acquiring cactus flesh for sanity.

No longer needing to refuel moggles, no longer fighting or gathering for the fuel, requiring inventory space for fuel and the item as well as take up my head slot sounds wonderful. Head armor is so important as Wormwood. 

that don't need to be repaired or whatever else you're going to fit on the last 4 slots. That's even ignoring how much more effort wx has to put in to get his stuff.

Effort for a plethora of options is hardly a nuisance or an inconvenience. The only effort I have to go through for activating a perk is blooming, past that I have nothing. 

P.s. because tapping the omb is basically free on every character taking off circuits just to tend to plants is a bit silly

Even Wormwood uses a one man band in Winter, at the very least the first winter. Not every Wormwood farms so it's a small bonus.

As I said in the other thread, and I’ll say again here: WX78 has a mild tolerance of being near to clockworks.. they take a few seconds longer but they still attack WX.. MEANWHILE 

Wormwoods plants is nice to him perk should (but currently doesn’t) effect any and all plants.. In the Hamlet DLC this meant that any and all normally hostile plant based mobs were peaceful to Wormwood- I can currently only think of Two areas of the game where this is useful in DST: Setting up a massive biome of nothing but Lureplants (Wormwood can run through them all day long without ever being attacked) and Two.. Trimming Seaweeds without them becoming hostile.

As far as WX78 healing from eating food items.. this is something I wanted changed a long time ago, foods should be converted over into biofuel or whatever by mixing the food with another robotic ingredient so WX can eat it.. I have never, and will never understand how or why a metal robot can gain benefits from human foods.

Wormwood will continue to ironically enough “evolve” as the game goes on the more plant-life is added into DST (for example if Klei adds in that unimplemented Water Lily Creature..) 

Also do keep in mind that Hamlet had vines that stretched down from the skies and attacked the player like upside down swamp tentacles- Wormwood was Immune to these..

Its only common sense that if you take a character designed to work best in Hamlet out of Hamlet and put it into DST that it’s going to feel “lacking” until more Hamlet-like plant stuff gets added to the game.

2 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Healing does not require inventory slots? 

Let me ask you in what purpose do you think the greatest use of living logs lies?

In darkswords, so is one to casually perform self harm mid battle with the only character that can only heal in small increments? Is that how you imply that living logs take up no inventory space and can just casually be pulled from the void? 

Any good wormwood player will have these logs premade. I invite you to play more Wormwood solo rather than make surface assumptions. 

As for the fuel, do you know how long it takes for Wormwood to gather fuel? Depending on the boss it takes usually over a day. Look no further than basic math to conclude that characters with damage multipliers actually have better synergy with darkswords than the character that can provide the rares ingredients in it's recipe.

The time it takes to farm the fuel, the durability to damage ratio and the ease of obtainment via gnomes should all be calculated before claiming Wormwood has any advantage in merely providing living logs.

The ease of providing living logs is just that and nothing more.

As apposed to any other character? Auto farms exist.

I would trade all the sanity management and lesser perks in the world to have permanent moggles. 

I would actually have a use for the bramble husk in acquiring cactus flesh for sanity.

No longer needing to refuel moggles, no longer fighting or gathering for the fuel, requiring inventory space for fuel and the item as well as take up my head slot sounds wonderful. Head armor is so important as Wormwood. 

Effort for a plethora of options is hardly a nuisance or an inconvenience. The only effort I have to go through for activating a perk is blooming, past that I have nothing. 

Even Wormwood uses a one man band in Winter, at the very least the first winter. Not every Wormwood farms so it's a small bonus.

You keep mentioning Wormwood only being able to heal in "small increments" despite the existence of healing salves and honey poultices? And, additionally, I'm not sure why you seem to think using a Bat Bat to heal is some kind of problem, with how fast it can heal you. Is it an instant 20-40 health? No, but it provides you with a significant amount of health per-hit while also allowing you to still deal damage to your enemies.

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

well my second played character seems that isnt wormwood...

tired of always reading "someone doesnt play X and for that disagrees", same happend with the wolf rework which, what an irony, overlaps with woodie, maxwell and warly in a higher way but nobody complained

the comparison is wrong because they only real thing that they share are speed, is the only thing the other 2, as i already explained, have little sense

You claimed Wormwood uses the bramble husk to collect spiky shrubs? That is a very, very poor excuse to legitimize the importance of the bramble husk.

Having played a character is important when discussing balance, what's more when discussing the cohesiveness of their perks. 

I will be blunt, you can have played thousands upon thousands of hours of Wormwood but if you claim the above then you must have played Wormwood only ever having stared at your screen and nothing more.

Otherwise you would know that speed IS Wormwood biggest perk. They only share speed? ONLY SHARE SPEED? Where wormwood has situational perks, weak perks, none cohesive perks, niche perks, the single strongest thing he has IS SPEED. The single BIGGEST downside in the GAME and another character has claimed a stronger, more cohesive, easier to obtain, form of speed. 

Was Wolfgang's speed not removed so that characters that revolved around speed could thrive in their field? Well, a far more fleshed out form of speed has appeared, and what's more, it is permanent and it has no downsides.

6 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

You claimed Wormwood uses the bramble husk to collect spiky shrubs? That is a very, very poor excuse to legitimize the importance of the bramble husk.

Having played a character is important when discussing balance, what's more when discussing the cohesiveness of their perks. 

I will be blunt, you can have played thousands upon thousands of hours of Wormwood but if you claim the above then you must have played Wormwood only ever having stared at your screen and nothing more.

Otherwise you would know that speed IS Wormwood biggest perk. They only share speed? ONLY SHARE SPEED? Where wormwood has situational perks, weak perks, none cohesive perks, niche perks, the single strongest thing he has IS SPEED. The single BIGGEST downside in the GAME and another character has claimed a stronger, more cohesive, easier to obtain, form of speed. 

Was Wolfgang's speed not removed so that characters that revolved around speed could thrive in their field? Well, a far more fleshed out form of speed has appeared, and what's more, it is permanent and it has no downsides.

i might play staring at the screen (again the "i cant fight back an argument so i atack your way of playing") but you seem to hate wormwood so glad they will release wx so you can enjoy wormwood 2.0 but dont forget your hoe and living logs while doing it

5 minutes ago, Left 4 Sharkbai said:

You keep mentioning Wormwood only being able to heal in "small increments" despite the existence of healing salves and honey poultices? And, additionally, I'm not sure why you seem to think using a Bat Bat to heal is some kind of problem, with how fast it can heal you. Is it an instant 20-40 health? No, but it provides you with a significant amount of health per-hit while also allowing you to still deal damage to your enemies.

It's not a problem, I admittedly forgot salves and poultices unfortunately, so that's a blow to my argument.

Though they do require a bit of work to establish a regular obtainment of them. Salves 20hp I would argue is a small increment when compared not only to the extensive amounts of healing that can be obtained by food but also the amount of damage a character can take. 

Poultices on the other hand have a limit to how many can be obtained per reed growth cycle. They are also limited to their biome and each must be plucked separately over set distances. These things greatly reduce the amount that can be obtained in top of competing with other recipes that require them.

The point I was trying to make was in how much healing is required to utilize a thorn effect. Think about how a thorn effect requires large amounts of healing that can be obtained easily and increase health in large quantities. The thorn effect is not meant to be the main source of your damage but rather to supplement it. Then it can be assessed that due to these requirements Wormwood makes a poor choice for a thorn effect. 

I don't have a problem with the bat bat either as I have used it to kill bee queen. Again the problem is the bramble husk and how it's meant to be an impactful perk in Wormwood's kit.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i might play staring at the screen (again the "i cant fight back an argument so i atack your way of playing") but you seem to hate wormwood so glad they will release wx so you can enjoy wormwood 2.0 but dont forget your hoe and living logs while doing it

I don't hate Wormwood which is why I hope he can be made more cohesive. He doesn't need something as drastic as a rework but he could use a revision to fill in some gaps and strengthen some of his core items.

3 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

It's not a problem, I admittedly forgot salves and poultices unfortunately, so that's a blow to my argument.

Though they do require a bit of work to establish a regular obtainment of them. Salves 20hp I would argue is a small increment when compared not only to the extensive amounts of healing that can be obtained by food but also the amount of damage a character can take. 

Poultices on the other hand have a limit to how many can be obtained per reed growth cycle. They are also limited to their biome and each must be plucked separately over set distances. These things greatly reduce the amount that can be obtained in top of competing with other recipes that require them.

The point I was trying to make was in how much healing is required to utilize a thorn effect. Think about how a thorn effect requires large amounts of healing that can be obtained easily and increase health in large quantities. The thorn effect is not meant to be the main source of your damage but rather to supplement it. Then it can be assessed that due to these requirements Wormwood makes a poor choice for a thorn effect. 

I don't have a problem with the bat bat either as I have used it to kill bee queen. Again the problem is the bramble husk and how it's meant to be an impactful perk in Wormwood's kit.

I see the Bramble Husk as more of a supporting tool that Wormwood can give to OTHER players, as he generally feels more geared toward being helpful, rather than being someone who is made to help himself first, and others second, like WX.

7 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I don't hate Wormwood which is why I hope he can be made more cohesive. He doesn't need something as drastic as a rework but he could use a revision to fill in some gaps and strengthen some of his core items.

as i said many times the armor needs a durability buff or changing the recipe to require hound teeths instead and more plants to interact in future updates, other than that is one of the funnier characters

but i wont keep arguing with you about this topic since you dont seem to be opened to a mature argumentation

2 minutes ago, Left 4 Sharkbai said:

I see the Bramble Husk as more of a supporting tool that Wormwood can give to OTHER players, as he generally feels more geared toward being helpful, rather than being someone who is made to help himself first, and others second, like WX.

ye, imagine saying that is a core feature when is used to tank with a character that requieres more investment on healing... is useful for crown controll (while wx electric damage isnt) and for picking plants with thorns, nothing else. Wx having electric counter damage is actually good for wormwood because makes his bland armor something more valuable but... you have seen the thread...

3 hours ago, Left 4 Sharkbai said:

That is a very true and valid assessment, but is it so wrong to want to benefit from your own item also? To have it as a strong part of your kit?

As I see it the bramble husk simply made a terrible transition from Hamlet to DST. There where very few changes made because his ability to feed a whole server was so powerful. Wormwood was almost the only potential farmer who could make large strides in his endeavor to grow crops.

But times have changed... Wormwood is no longer the only one to bear many a fruit, er veggies, from farming. Wicker can even be argued as a better seed provider than Wormwood. It was fine for wormwood to be a "support" character then because he did it so well and it was utterly and completely irreplaceable.

After RWYS Wormwood was no longer tethered to being the (only) biggest supplier of veggies nor were obtaining large amounts of veggies tethered to Wormwood. However the power shift of being a "supporter" remained despite the change. Wormwood had a large dependence in power from his comrades and now they no longer have a dependence in Wormwood. 

Being good at "farming" is in and of its self no longer a coveted "niche". What's more, there many characters who can farm and provide an even greater number of resources in other categories. Woodie can farm plenty for the whole server and then also provide the team large amounts of other resources during the downtime while the crops grow for example.

While i agree with you @HowlVoid Wormwood needs changes/buffs, i don't think that we should compare characters like this and also old WX-78 was much stronger and had 50% speed buff plus other benefits of being overcharged if he had WIckerbottom which wasn't hard to swap to and charge him.

I think that Wormwood should be buffed because updates negatively affected him (reap what you sow), when old farm buildings were removed, his perk of being able to just plant seeds anywhere became lackluster. That is my understanding of it, i don't really have extensive farming knowledge so i may be wrong, since i don't farm anything except a potato for astrogoggles.

Refreshes should be prioritized and i would be happy if in the next one like it happened to WX-78 refresh with Wurt, we get some good changes to Wormwood. There are characters that need changes/refresh more compared to Wormwood as he is still in a an okay character compared to the rest, not nearly one of the strongest but not one of the weaker ones either.

When it comes to Wickerbottom, i never really used her book for regular farming with seeds and i'd prefer if her books were reverted to the one book that was applied horticulture without her being able to use it for farming as she was also negatively affected by the reap what you sow update like Wormwood, her applied horticulture book was mostly used for berry bushes/twigs/grass/reeds/lichen/stone fruit bushes.

I don't really think that characters with similar perks are the problem, some perks are just universal like speed that i don't think that only Wormwood should have it as it is the most powerful stat in the game.

That may be the issue with Wormwood, while i don't farm i understand that farming is a really big aspect of the game and a lot of players do, so only one character having perks when it comes to it isn't good, which can also be said for speed. He doesn't have an unique strong perk that will always be only his, while it can be said that being able to get so many living logs is strong, it is not a decisively powerful perk that will make you pick him.

Overall he is a decent character when you take all his abilities into consideration, he just needs to have planting seeds anywhere perk either removed and added something similar that is really useful or changed, i don't really know how you could change this to make it useful with the farm plots though.

EDIT: Also he should maybe have a powerful perk related to the moon, something that will be unique that other characters won't have.

27 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

I don't understand why comparing Wormwood to Wx-78 is seen as something negative. I think it provides meaningful insight, a point of reference if you will, to Wormwood's current state. 

Here we have two character who's main selling point is speed; their strongest asset in their arsenal.

Wx-78 can be seen as how much speed (25%-50%) do you want to sacrifice for other situational perks.

Wormwood can be seen as here's a limited amount of speed (20%) and in exchange have a plethora of situational perks with meaningful dowsides. What's more unlike Wx-78 the perks split in an unconventional way as to provide each other very little meaningful cohesiveness. A group of farming perks and a group of fighting perks don't support each other very well. Conventional light, weather, and regenerative perks do support each other and thus carry more weight. 

A Wx-78 player will be supported no matter what perks they decide to take on, in what ever situation they wish to undertake because their perks are THAT universal.

A Wormwood player that decides to play passively will make use of farming perks but will perhaps let others do the fighting. While Wormwood players that decide to take on a more offensive role have half their perks left behind in farming.

As a Wormwood player it sometimes feels like I'm looking at a puzzle with pieces missing and all I want is for it all to come together and make sense. Wx-78 is just such a wonderful example of how it can all come together and make sense (plus a few minor adjustments). 

The last thing I want is an exact replica of another character. I know I haven't been exactly clear on that because I've said some perks are "(an) obviously inferior (copy)" to the point where I've now been accused of 'hating" wormwood. That hasn't been my intention but the parallels just seem to jump straight at me since when I first read them. 

His core perks need a more solid foundation (buff) and a solid direction (something to tie it all together). Though personally I'd like the whole farm thing to be dropped unless being surrounded by happy plants and an enriched soil were to strengthen him somehow. 

Overall I really enjoyed your opinion so thank you for that. I'll try to not fly so close to the sun, I need to be more clear that my voice is for the improvement of Wormwood not the detriment of Wormwood's and Wx-78's mechanical (balance wise) relationship.

I would LOVE a moon perk.

I play a lot of Wormwood (Wendy Main..) but I play A LOT of Wormwood when I’m not Wendy.. and Wormwoods got more perks then you lead on.

For starters he can eat mushrooms without them harming his health.

Wormwood can also now (thanks to RWYS) Run around in total Wetness with the only penalty to that being tools slipping out his hand/ maybe freezing if close to Winter.

Wormwoods ability to plant a seed anywhere without needing to build a digamajig, till the garden, plant the seed, water etc.. also is more useful then you let on.. HOW is it more useful you Ask? I play mostly alone.. so leaving food in the ground all over everywhere results in two things.. A: Food, B: Rot..

So yes, if you don’t mind healing from Rot.. you can actually set up your own healing stations throughout the map and comeback to get your rot later..

I don’t care one bit about your most effective healing method, because I’m only taking into consideration the noobs and casuals whom something like this will massively help.

In addition: I’ve always felt healing from eating food items as any character PERIOD should’ve never existed as a thing in the first place- There’s a dedicated healing tab full of all sorts of useful healing items.. USE It.. (this also includes Tents & Lean-to’s)

Wormwoods Ability to eat harmful foods without any Health Penalty also balances out his Inability to heal.

So no I would not say speed is Wormwoods only perk..

I also enjoy how Wormwood has bees chase after him when blooming it is a nice little touch, the only thing I’m genuinely disappointed with Wormwood in is that the trail of flowers he leaves on the ground behind him does not match the skins Wormwood has available to him (example pumpkin skin should leave little briar patch trail of tiny pumpkins)

but it’s such a small detail, it’s probably not wasting development time and resources on it.

My greatest disappointment with wormwood is that hes made by the moon but has zero meaningful connections to an entire content arc focused on the moon. This is the most painfully obvious indicator that hes a hamlet transplant and not tuned into /fully adjusted to/made for the DST world.

While the same cannot be said for another DS:A transplant: Warly, who is fully attuned to the DST world, going so far as bringing new crops with him specifically for his unique recipes. Wormwood was transplanted with a lot less consideration i think.  

Bramble husk being ported with no adjustments other than a durability nerf is another indicator. In hamlet it served a very useful function of negating bramble damage/flinching which covered huge portions of the map every lush season. And with the way armor stacking works in DS:A, husk+football helmet was also really effective against bat waves which have less HP than hounds (and dont burst into flames) and so were quickly torn to pieces by the thorns AOE. The minimal damage taken could be taken care of quickly and cheaply by buying salves etc from the Pig spa. It could also similarly be used against rabid beetles if u dont have insecticide with u. 

The husk’s ‘main’ use in DST is picking cacti, which are basically useless to Wormwood in comparison to every other survivor until ur trying to make use of CC crown. Trying to make use of the thorns AOE in combat in DST against anything stronger than a swarm of bees is a fool’s errand. The rare occasion of killing tentapillars with it is where it shines the most, but is still held back by awful durability, protection and recipe. 

bramble traps on the other hand r funnily enough completely useless in hamlet but situationally powerful in DST, mostly against shadow monkeys. 

Wormwood’s current situation just makes me wonder what a new original DST survivor with his kind of lunar origin story would look like if they were released now… cuz wormwood definitely doesnt fit the bill imo in a post Return of Them world. 

Therefore i think any possible wormwood update should have that as the central goal, to connect him to all the DST moon content.  Thats Wormwood’s most unique aspect in DST which is currently left completely unexplored. 

————
Bramble husk buff idea: make it periodically trigger the thorns when worn by Wormwood in combat without needing to get hit at a small cost of durability. Increase the frequency based on how low his HP is. 
Increase the durability and/or make it repairable with fertilizers. Change the recipe from bone shards to hounds teeth, we’re not in hamlet anymore where 1 dead pugalisk gives a million bone shards. 

5 hours ago, Left 4 Sharkbai said:

I see the Bramble Husk as more of a supporting tool that Wormwood can give to OTHER players

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

ye, imagine saying that is a core feature when is used to tank with a character that requieres more investment on healing...

You two do realize the husk was part of Wormwood’s kit in DS:A right? Where the A stands for alone, meaning it was made for himself alone and not for the purpose of giving it to other players. And it served him very well in his native DLC like i mentioned above without needing to be relegated to niche utility that “is made to be shared and not for himself”. 

Archived