Don't you hate it that Celestial Champion is summer locked? (can get it around day 65 best case)

I personally like bossfights like this, which require a lot of specific preperation that make you engage with the world and its ressources. Similar to how you have to wait for new moon to fight the shadow pieces and have to most likely tame a beefalo for it first. The Celestial Champion is an endgame boss and bossfights in DST are meant to be fought by making smart use of ressources and environment, so having to wait till summer to me is just another way in which the environment gives you specific limitations.

10 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

you have to wait for new moon to fight the shadow pieces and have to most likely tame a beefalo for it first

The first day is a new moon. Mighty Wolfgang carries marble pieces faster. There's also a funny multiplayer trick. It still depends on world rng tho.

11 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

The Celestial Champion is an endgame boss and bossfights in DST are meant to be fought by making smart use of ressources and environment

Waiting is smart and engaging. Waiting until summer is definitively a choice. You really have to make the best out of your first 64 days to be able to gather cacti. Got it.

21 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

I personally like bossfights like this, which require a lot of specific preperation that make you engage with the world and its ressources. 

I never said they should take away something from the 2353 steps of preparation, just to replace cactus flowers with something that isn't season locked (not just season locked, but LAST season locked).

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've noticed so many people in this community are just so obsessed with rushing things, when DS/T isnt meant to be rushed so absurdly fast. Now, you can play the game however you want, it's a sandbox game of course so of course I respect how everyone else likes to play their games, and hey I'll absolutely take alternate methods of getting cacti flower because hey I can see it sucking missing a summer, but why must you get it in the first year? Take time with this game and enjoy it slowly. Out of all the games in this world I never expected DS/T, a generally slow game that amounts to several hours of gameplay in a single world to be so sought after to be rushed so quickly. I wonder where that obsession for rushing in DS/T came from.

I rush cause IRL time constraints. I can't spend 40-80 hours a month casually playing DST but rushing in about 10-12 hours a month is something I can do :wilson_cry:

4 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I rush cause IRL time constraints. I can't spend 40-80 hours a month casually playing DST but rushing in about 10-12 hours a month is something I can do :wilson_cry:

That's fair enough, :cry:. I hadn't taken into account IRL time constraints.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've noticed so many people in this community are just so obsessed with rushing things, when DS/T isnt meant to be rushed so absurdly fast. Now, you can play the game however you want, it's a sandbox game of course so of course I respect how everyone else likes to play their games, and hey I'll absolutely take alternate methods of getting cacti flower because hey I can see it sucking missing a summer, but why must you get it in the first year? Take time with this game and enjoy it slowly. Out of all the games in this world I never expected DS/T, a generally slow game that amounts to several hours of gameplay in a single world to be so sought after to be rushed so quickly. I wonder where that obsession for rushing in DS/T came from.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've noticed so many people in this community are just so obsessed with grinding, repeating certain boss fights in the same context over and over again and waiting, when DS/T isnt meant to be played so long in one world. Now, you can play the game however you want, it's a sandbox game of course so of course I respect how everyone else likes to play their games, but why must you wait a whole year to get it? Take breaks from this game and enjoy new ways to play once in a while. Out of all the games in this world I never expected DS/T, a survival game that expects the player to improve by learning new information about the game to be so sought after to be played like Animal Crossing and incremental games. I wonder where that obsession for repetitive actions and amassing massive amounts of resources in DS/T came from. Clearly, they are addicted to this kind of play, spending al their time solely on this and don't just want to enjoy the game at their own pace.

the community around DST is so so weird. its a sandbox game and yet so much of the community is obsessed with following metas and rushing the "best items" as quickly as possible.. but at least we're long past the days where the obsession was with pvp of all things?

20 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

following metas

Different things are useful for different goals. Doesn't mean that some aren't better than the other at specific tasks. If you want to use an item that isn't efficent to use, then add it to your goal.

25 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

the community around DST is so so weird. its a sandbox game and yet so much of the community is obsessed with following metas and rushing the "best items" as quickly as possible.. but at least we're long past the days where the obsession was with pvp of all things?

First of all, like that other guy you go "it's a sandbox game" then proceed to call people weird for playing a certain way.

Second of all, "rushing" means different things to different people. It's in fact more convenient to "rush".

Is dragonfly before or during first winter rushing it? Why waste fuel and be redundant with firepits when you can have an infinite level 4 firepit (furnace)?

Is going to ruins before winter rushing it? Why waste fuel and be redundant when you can have starcallers (which you can pair with furnaces - getting even longer heat on thermal stones) for lighting the whole base, making you safer (and immune to insanity hands extinguishing fires), making boss fights easier etc? Why spend so much time gathering bulbs when you can have a magi and not worry about it (while also running faster and being able to dodge better and having hand and head slot free to use? Why is having a starcaller ready to make into a mooncaller a bad thing, when it makes summer easier? etc

Most of the "rushing" is simply done out of convenience, not out of pp measuring contest.

29 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

Not taking 2 hours to complete anything

You always have the option of starting in spring or summer though as has been mentioned already. Defeating CC with a start like that would be much more of a display of skill than expecting a summer-exclusive resource to be made available earlier so u can have an easier run. 

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:

You always have the option of starting in spring or summer though as has been mentioned already. Defeating CC with a start like that would be much more of a display of skill than expecting a summer-exclusive resource to be made available earlier so u can have an easier run. 

Ye, but some people like to play on default settings, for... some reason. Even if it's basically skipping some time that one could use for extra prep ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get it - and generally I'm with you.  BUT how much free time do you have when you rush till summer?  Would this shave 20 days off of your speed run if you didn't have to wait for cactus?  Just how much time are we talking about?

33 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

I mean, original game was advertised as(please don't kill me for saying this word) "uncompromising survival". And description like that naturally attracts people who seek challenge in any shape and form like going for the best gear as soon as you can and killing various bosses with very little resources. 

That kind of play style was even more encouraged with the addition of raid bosses into dst that make YOU go find and kill them and not the other way around. 

27 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I get it - and generally I'm with you.  BUT how much free time do you have when you rush till summer?  Would this shave 20 days off of your speed run if you didn't have to wait for cactus?  Just how much time are we talking about?

This is not about speedrunning. It's about the principle of having a boss and gameplay variance locked by arbitrary rules. For example Wigfrid can make most use of the crown, other characters could too to some extent. Having permanent moon can also provide variety. Even if there would be no benefit, there's still some variety to playing. You can chose when to engage most of the bosses (except seasonals but CC is not seasonal). 

In the context of an all-boss speedrunning it wouldn't make much of a difference, unless it's 1/100000 rng perfection. Maybe for a Wigfrid run.

1 minute ago, reallychina said:

This is not about speedrunning. It's about the principle of having a boss and gameplay variance locked by arbitrary rules. For example Wigfrid can make most use of the crown, other characters could too to some extent. Having permanent moon can also provide variety. Even if there would be no benefit, there's still some variety to playing. You can chose when to engage most of the bosses (except seasonals but CC is not seasonal). 

In the context of an all-boss speedrunning it wouldn't make much of a difference. Maybe for a Wigfrid run.

I mean, if you like variety, why not try a spring start?

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

with cactus flowers I can get the pearl before the first full moon

i like the crown for walter given he doesnt normally have sanity drain, he can move the altar pieces fast enough and all that, i do find it strange that even at optimal place speed you need the cactus flower, however arent there ways to give pearl more points other than the salad? isnt the salad just one of the easy ones so thats what people rush? i remember readying about fish

i like that celestial champion is the late game boss, and i find the quest enjoyable and variate, i do think it would me near impossible for most people to even finish it without a guide, it feels so random for the most part, and i hope the make even more hidden late game bosses behind long quests that take a year to do, so you spend the first years just running around trying to do something different while surviving 

14 minutes ago, chincer said:

i do find it strange that even at optimal place speed you need the cactus flower, however arent there ways to give pearl more points other than the salad? isnt the salad just one of the easy ones so thats what people rush? i remember readying about fish

You need the cactus flower for the last upgrade of her house, and fully upgrading her house is one of the requirements to get the Pearl from her.

Archived