DST needs more boss fight reworks

So, as many of you already know the Ancient Guardian recieved a reworked fight in the latest beta branch of DST. And I must say, that rework made the boss from one of the most boring and uninteresting fights to probably best and most fun in the entire game. And I think some other bosses can use reworks to their fights like this one.

Unlike pre rework guardian most of the raid bosses drop some of the best loot in the entire game or just requred to defeat in order to progress for another boss fight or a simular thing. But the problem is that fighting some of this bosses feels like chores and actually really boring most of the time. And I know this game is designed to be experienced multiplayer best but when playing solo this bosses are even more frustrating. Ancient Guardian was one of them, the fight wasnt hard or anything but was so boring and repetitive. And now its so much fun for either solo or multiplayer.

I personally think 4 other bosses needs a rework simular to this, I don't have any ideas for the fights myself unfortunatelly, I just think this bosses can definetly be much more fun to fight than their current state. First one is Bee Queen, her drops are like I said some of the best in the game. But her fight is so uninteresting, most of the playerbase just defeats her only onces in their entire playthrough. And don't even get me started about fighting her alone. If you arent playing Wendy or setup an unnecessarely complex cheesing method, defeating Bee Queen is just such a pain in the butt alone.

Second one is Malbatross. Her drops aren't even as good as Bee Queen's so that gives players another reason to just not fight her. I legit think Malbatross is just broken and not working properly, because most of the time she just forgets about you and starts slowly moving to other directions despite even you start hitting her while she is moving away. And like I said her drops are actually so mediocre, you don't even need to struggle first finding and fighting her. For example the winged sail is basically useless after you discover a good part of the ocean. And by the time you find Malbatross, you probably already found the lunar island and discovered the majority of the ocean just to find her. And her beak is even worse, im not even gonna mention its first use. And crafting a bigger watering can just doesn't worth the trouble.

Third ones Crab King. Im sure nobody is surprised to him here since he is basically the worst bost fight in the entire game. And the worst part is you are required to defeate him in order to then defeat the "final boss of the game" who is a much better and fun boss fight. I don't even know what to say actually. Crab King just feels like a chore, just an obstacle on your way to something much greater. And not a good obstacle. And like his fight wasn't bad enough you need to locate his lazy ass in the ocean.

And finally I think the Toadstool needs a reworked boss fight. I mean her fight isn't hard or anything. Its literally just dooing the same thing for a while and it gets boring so quickly since she got ungodly amount of health, so you just end up dooing the same thing over and over in a unnecessarely long fight. Its not terrible if you are playing with people but its insanely frustrating if you are alone juset because how long it takes. Her starting spamming the mushroom trees when in low health doesn't help either. Like I said not a big problem for multiple people one person can deal with the trees while other continue fighting. And her drops arent even that good either. The lamps are cool I guess but the funcaps are just useless and I genuenly can't think of a use for them. And her misery form is even worse. Literally the same fight but insanely longer just for the added bonus of getting the napsack. Arguably one of the worst boss drops or even weapons in the game in my opinion. Its just a worse version of the panflute.

Yea thats basically what I wanted to say. You can say this is kind of a pointless post since a lot of people already know and mention this issues. But I just wanted to list my reasons in hopes for people agreeing and maby actually having and impact in the future.

25 minutes ago, Mert_TR said:

Second one is Malbatross. Her drops aren't even as good as Bee Queen's so that gives players another reason to just not fight her

Why would her drops be as good as Bee Queen? She's not a raid boss, she's more-so designed to be similar to the classic RoG-like bosses. The masts and watering can are very nice convenience drops, and sure they're not necessary. But you could say that for the other RoG bosses and frankly a lot of other content in the game, they're just nice.

25 minutes ago, Mert_TR said:

legit think Malbatross is just broken and not working properly, because most of the time she just forgets about you and starts slowly moving to other directions despite even you start hitting her while she is moving away.

Are you sure you think this is a broken behaviour? She does this when she wants to do her swoop at the shoal, so she moves a bit away from the player to give herself some space.

Speed isn't just important for exploring, I like getting to places fast in the ocean so I like the speedy sails a lot, and after the little boat rework it's even better.

For what Malbatross is, she's a fine boss. She's designed in similar vein to the RoG bosses, having a similar health pool, basic-ish attacks nothing too complex but still a fun fight, and convenience drops(eyebrella, insulated pack, etc), meant to be a nuisance to the player(deerclops attacking structures, bearger eating yo food, malbatross interrupting your fishing). My only problem with her was the sheer amount of blueprints she dropped, which felt like a remnant from Klei's usual raid boss design, but those have been removed now in the beta so I can't really say I have much issue with her now.

I would love to see changes in almost every boss of the game. New Ancient Guard is better than old, Deerclops changes are welcome. "New" bosses like Eye of Terror and Celestial Champions are way better than old like Bee Queen or Dragon Fly.

Crab King just sucks, entirely, for example.

2 hours ago, Hornete said:

Why would her drops be as good as Bee Queen? She's not a raid boss, she's more-so designed to be similar to the classic RoG-like bosses. The masts and watering can are very nice convenience drops, and sure they're not necessary. But you could say that for the other RoG bosses and frankly a lot of other content in the game, they're just nice.

Are you sure you think this is a broken behaviour? She does this when she wants to do her swoop at the shoal, so she moves a bit away from the player to give herself some space.

Speed isn't just important for exploring, I like getting to places fast in the ocean so I like the speedy sails a lot, and after the little boat rework it's even better.

For what Malbatross is, she's a fine boss. She's designed in similar vein to the RoG bosses, having a similar health pool, basic-ish attacks nothing too complex but still a fun fight, and convenience drops(eyebrella, insulated pack, etc), meant to be a nuisance to the player(deerclops attacking structures, bearger eating yo food, malbatross interrupting your fishing). My only problem with her was the sheer amount of blueprints she dropped, which felt like a remnant from Klei's usual raid boss design, but those have been removed now in the beta so I can't really say I have much issue with her now.

Yea, you are right. I explained it incorrectly a bit. Theres just no reason to fight her that was what I wanted to say.

I still think they should change the eye of terror and the twins to always spawn close to the terrarium. And they need to give the twins their laser and fireballs, idk why klei didn't do them justice. Maybe it was fear of griefing?

Bee Queen and Toadstool are some of the most fun fights in the game, solo or not. If they're too hard for you you can do a variety of things to make them easier. Red & blue staves, weather pains, catapults, and pan flutes to name a few.

Malbatross is the fight for people who like sailing so of course someone who thinks sailing is pointless wouldn't like her. That's a you problem, not a malbatross problem.

Crab King could do with some touchups but doesn't need a full rework.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Bee Queen and Toadstool are some of the most fun fights in the game, solo or not. If they're too hard for you you can do a variety of things to make them easier. Red & blue staves, weather pains, catapults, and pan flutes to name a few.

Malbatross is the fight for people who like sailing so of course someone who thinks sailing is pointless wouldn't like her. That's a you problem, not a malbatross problem.

Crab King could do with some touchups but doesn't need a full rework.

I think you're in the minority here. Never have I heard someone say that they enjoy the BQ fight, unless they're playing wolfgang with spicy volt jelly and aren't afraid to burn through 60% pan flute durability or something. I have only ever seen people happily kill Toad and BQ in groups of like 4-5 (where they just run at them and smack them until they die in < 30 seconds), otherwise there is one poor soul who had to make 30+ bunny hutches or a wicker tentacle field for BQ or there are a 5 flingos and flowers + starcaller for toad. I don't think that requiring you to play (wendy for BW woodie for toad, wolf and wig for every fight in the game) or briefly swap to (warly, wicker, winona)  a certain character is good design. 

Now for OP's post: I agree with you, the AG rework is an awesome move and is definitely for the better! Unfortunately, you just then point out a bunch of bosses that everyone already knows aren't as good as they could be (plus malbatross). I think that we need suggestions to, like giving BeeQueen a tangible cooldown between grumble bee spawns to actually incentivize killing them rather than leaving a few alive so she wont spawn more, and remove the freakin honey trail. Klei saw people kiting their boss and were like "mmm don't do that anymore". 

Fun Factor > Cheese Methods, if Klei can UP the fun factor in content even if that means removing peoples known methods to fight a boss/interact with content: then by all means do what is necessary, because at the end of the day: it’s content Klei busted their butts programming in hopes we would enjoy, and some people don’t enjoy it.. to the point they’d rather find cheese ways to get through the content.

I am sure this is disheartening for the people who spend their time away from their husbands, wives, kids & friends programming & coding these things into the game for your entertainment.

11 hours ago, Mert_TR said:

I legit think Malbatross is just broken and not working properly, because most of the time she just forgets about you and starts slowly moving to other directions despite even you start hitting her while she is moving away.

This is a bug caused by the simple health bar mod.

3 hours ago, Skelewar said:

I think you're in the minority here. Never have I heard someone say that they enjoy the BQ fight, unless they're playing wolfgang with spicy volt jelly and aren't afraid to burn through 60% pan flute durability or something. I have only ever seen people happily kill Toad and BQ in groups of like 4-5 (where they just run at them and smack them until they die in < 30 seconds), otherwise there is one poor soul who had to make 30+ bunny hutches or a wicker tentacle field for BQ or there are a 5 flingos and flowers + starcaller for toad. I don't think that requiring you to play (wendy for BW woodie for toad, wolf and wig for every fight in the game) or briefly swap to (warly, wicker, winona)  a certain character is good design. 

Never have I seen someone complain about bq before you and op. Meanwhile both on Reddit and on here I receive a lot of agreement every time I say BQ is one of the most fun fights.

What's wrong with her fight? She has fun mechanics that you have to actually engage with instead of just holding f and maybe pressing a direction key every once in awhile.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Never have I seen someone complain about bq before you and op. Meanwhile both on Reddit and on here I receive a lot of agreement every time I say BQ is one of the most fun fights.

What's wrong with her fight? She has fun mechanics that you have to actually engage with instead of just holding f and maybe pressing a direction key every once in awhile.

I genuinely want to know how you fight her, if you find swarming the player a fun mechanic. Please do share your strategy.

22 hours ago, Mert_TR said:

And crafting a bigger watering can just doesn't worth the trouble.

What do you mean?? I fight Klaus just to get her beak for the waterfowl can

8 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Cheggf is god of Don't Starve, so good at the game they find Bee Queen an actually fun fight.

2 hours ago, BOT Tuja said:

I genuinely want to know how you fight her, if you find swarming the player a fun mechanic. Please do share your strategy.

Build 16 to 24 catapults or ~30 bunnymen/merms around her and enjoy watching this "fun" boss dying. Hehehe

10 hours ago, Cheggf said:

maybe I'm biased but I don't find run - hold f - repeat for 16 minutes fun nor challenging

I don't really agree with the talk about Malbatross. I think Malb is a pretty good boss aside from how you find her, and I enjoy the loot quite a lot.

I couldn't agree more for Toadstool though. Toad is one of the easiest raid bosses by far (probably the easiest tbh), and yet somehow still my least favorite, just because it's 52.5k health worth of holding f, rarely dodging, and sometimes cutting down some trees. Honestly both versions of Toadstool just feel like an elaborate troll from Klei.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:30 PM, Hornete said:

But arent RoG bosses 100 percent spawning?  

15 minutes ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

But arent RoG bosses 100 percent spawning?  

Yes and no, in the actual RoG DLC, The giants are not guaranteed to arrive. While in DST they are.

I don't think Malbatross has to have a 100% chance to spawn anyways to be similar to RoG bosses, I think with everything else it's fairly clear she's in similar vein to classic RoG bosses rather than the Raid ones. Not like it'll be hard to spawn her anyways, it's a 10% chance for her to spawn when hooking onto a deep bass from a shoal.

2 hours ago, Hornete said:

Yes and no, in the actual RoG DLC, The giants are not guaranteed to arrive. While in DST they are.

I don't think Malbatross has to have a 100% chance to spawn anyways to be similar to RoG bosses, I think with everything else it's fairly clear she's in similar vein to classic RoG bosses rather than the Raid ones. Not like it'll be hard to spawn her anyways, it's a 10% chance for her to spawn when hooking onto a deep bass from a shoal.

Oh ok sorry, I only bought DST and a starter pack. (Im not being sarcastic)

Archived