[Suggestion] Reduce the crafting cost of chests

Sorry for the slight thread spam, but this definitely does deserve it's own thread and with all this crafting QoL talk going around, I can't believe that I didn't even think about it until now. Okay so, chests. To put it simply, they're kind of expensive for what they do. If I'm not mistaken, a lot players just forgo them entirely in favor of simply leaving items on the ground until they can obtain an excess of logs. It's not that they don't have any practical uses, but really I can only think of three that even when combined, hardly warrant the cost of three boards. To be fair though, let's still go over them real quick.

Organization: I feel like this is the biggest benefit that chests can offer, they make it a lot easier to organize all your stuff. Taking 5 seconds to rummage through a pile of items on the ground might not seem like much, but it adds up overtime and in a game like Don't Starve efficiency can really matter. The key word here however, is "easier". While I think that this is the most useful out of the three things that I'm going to mention, it's also the only one where the chest isn't actually required in any way. It's entirely possible to create separate groups of items on the ground. Not as convenient or nice looking, but definitely possible.

Keeps stuff dry: When spring rolls around and it starts raining 50% of the time, having all of your things that you're not carrying on you can cause a few problems, but really nothing significant. So long as the player has taken steps to keep themselves dry, then anything wet that they pick up will dry fairly quickly as well. I guess an exception to this would be food or anything else perishable, but nobody's going to be keeping food in a chest instead of an icebox unless they got really unlucky with clockworks on world gen.

Keeps mobs out: There are a handful of mobs that will take items on the ground, but tying in with the previous point this mostly concerns food. Moleworms and Catcoons can still cause trouble for example, but if you really want to base in an area where they're present it's a lot easier to simply relocate or kill them.

So how much should chests cost then? Well, I think that the most I could hope for would be a simple decrease from three to two boards. Honestly though, I think that even just one board would be a perfectly reasonable cost for chests considering how niche their uses actually are.

When I make chests early game solo I don't need a whole ton, usually only one or two for precious items to prevent lure plant destruction, and on public servers there is usually a Woodie/Maxwell/helpful player gathering enough wood for chests for the team.

I was in agreement with you before this QOL update, since boards would be consumed en mass by both chests and especially cobblestone turf. Since cobblestones recipe was made more fair to craft, I think the cost of chests has become more reasonable in the process.

Just now, ALCRD said:

Bigger chests would be nice tho (capacity wise)

Something similar like Minecraft's double chests but DSTified.

Hmm, maybe you could craft these chests with a drop from a boss? Maybe Dragonfly?

Just now, Nickolai said:

Hmm, maybe you could craft these chests with a drop from a boss? Maybe Dragonfly?

Yea maybe BP locked behind one of the bosses sounds fair. But non boss drop related materials to craft these. 

5 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Yea maybe BP locked behind one of the bosses sounds fair. But non boss drop related materials to craft these. 

I was talking about this pfft-

(But more slots for the scaled chest would be nice.)

Scaled_Chest_Build-1.png

10 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

I was talking about this pfft-

(But more slots for the scaled chest would be nice.)

Scaled_Chest_Build-1.png

I was thinking more of like something like variant of regular wooden chest but with a bit more capacity something similar like Minecraft's Double Chests as i mentioned but DSTfied as in make it a BP requiring craft that you get from somewhere possibly a boss.

Scaled chests have their own gimmick of being fireproof tho.

4 hours ago, Pumking7 said:

When I make chests early game solo I don't need a whole ton, usually only one or two for precious items to prevent lure plant destruction, and on public servers there is usually a Woodie/Maxwell/helpful player gathering enough wood for chests for the team.

I was in agreement with you before this QOL update, since boards would be consumed en mass by both chests and especially cobblestone turf. Since cobblestones recipe was made more fair to craft, I think the cost of chests has become more reasonable in the process.

Oh man, I completely forgot about lure plants! Yeah, maybe three boards is fine after all.

If chests are such a worthless item that you never make why make a thread talking about them? You apparently do just fine without making them so a cheaper recipe would clearly be pointless, right?

Or could it be they're more useful than you're leading on..?

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

If chests are such a worthless item that you never make why make a thread talking about them? You apparently do just fine without making them so a cheaper recipe would clearly be pointless, right?

Or could it be they're more useful than you're leading on..?

What? I'm not trying to trick anyone into thinking that they're worthless, I just sort of thought that they could stand to cost a little less.

Honestly I'd like some sort of stepping stone between Chests and Scaled Chests.
Nothing too drastic, maybe it could take a few more hits before being broken by destructive things, dunno. I felt like both existing chests recipes are fair enough as is.
chouse_002.png.2810f9aa4e64efef5995f1e490c8b812.png

The biggest issue with chests imo is that as nice as they are people simply accumulate far more junk for chests than they want to build chests for. 3 Boards is a fine cost, but most people just... have a lot of junk and put it nicely in chests takes a LOT of space- along with then requiring people go dig through them all to find said junk.

I would love them to be upgradable instead (or for an upgraded form that has more space inside but functionally is just a chest)- takes a lot of wood, but works out in that you can store big heaps of items in one place without having to dedicate a corner of the base to 40 chests

actually, i think 3 boards is a great price for a chest.
2/3 boards back from hammering is a 66% price back.
it doesn't sound that meaningful at first, but considering in an ideal base every chest will be replaced with a scaled chest, making it cost any less or more than that in materials (including logs) would get you less wood back when hammering a chest.
a change i would make to a chest is to make each one cost 1 gold nugget. not only to match the initial design of the chest, but to encourage methods for getting gold more.

Considering Deerclops A.I. is designed to target structures and prioritize those over fighting the player… 3 Boards + a chest full of gunpowder + 1 fire staff + 1 really stupid Deerclops that falls for it every time = Chests are fine they don’t need changes.

But also, I would love to be able to upgrade a chest for larger capacity (it may or may not be to hold more Explosives)

Archived