Fashion Googles seem unnecessary

On 1/4/2022 at 8:46 AM, Ohan said:

How about wavey-ator goggles made with fashion goggles? Since they look like aviator goggles :lol:

idk what the effect would be though.. expanded vision while on a boat..?

I mean Aviator Glasses look pretty snazzy. I'm all in on this. 

CutPaste_2022-01-05_21-52-50-704.jpg

Honestly it's always bothered me that fashion goggles are the way they are.

If they had the dapperness of a tam' o' shanter I would be way more willing to actually wear them because I do actually really like how they look on a lot of characters. It's just overall not an item that really does anything for the effort you put in to actually obtain it.

Only serving as an inbetween step to a hat you can only really use in one biome during one season or during the moonstorms is really lame imo for their looks. Even if more items were to be added as upgrades to fashion goggles, we'd still be left with an item that I think is just extremely underwhelming and boring. Not to mention that these new items would need to be seriously useful since you have to fish in the oasis to even get the blueprint to craft fashion goggles to begin with, though I guess Oasis fishing or the oasis as a whole are a whole 'nother topic on their own.

It's just a huge bummer to have an item in the game I would really like to use regularly and maybe even get skins for, yet in the state they are in currently not only would skins be unrealistic to hope for since almost nobody really uses them, but even if they got skins there would still be basically no reason to use fashion goggles over almost any other hat in the game.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:21 AM, Captain_Rage said:

And while the players are pointing out that the goggles do nothing, the developers are amused by the fact that the players don't get their reference: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-goggles-do-nothing

At least in DST they are fashionable, being very cheap and providing sanity while looking nice. 8-)

There have been some changes regarding fashion/desert googles and Oasis. So I'm taking the opportunity to revive this topic and this comment more specifically.

About the changes:

• Desert Goggles now provide a small amount of protection from overheating
  • Increased the chance of getting the Desert Goggles Blueprint in the oasis lake
  • Removed Fashion Goggles Blueprint from the oasis lake’s Crumpled Packages and now requires an Alchemy Engine Science Machine to prototype.
  • Removed Potted Succulent Blueprint from the oasis lake’s Crumpled Packages

font: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/138144-game-update-498520/

13 minutes ago, Castiliano said:

There have been some changes regarding fashion/desert googles and Oasis. So I'm taking the opportunity to revive this topic and this comment more specifically.

About the changes:

• Increased the chance of getting the Desert Goggles Blueprint in the oasis lake
  • Removed Fashion Goggles Blueprint from the oasis lake’s Crumpled Packages and now requires an Alchemy Engine Science Machine to prototype.

font: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/138144-game-update-498520/

Well now they just seem even more pointless.

59 minutes ago, Castiliano said:

About the changes:

And these changes are amazing. Might make it so that the oasis isn't by far the worst biome in the game, and is only the worst.

46 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Well now they just seem even more pointless.

It's in the name! They're very stylish.

This might be an unpopular opinion but i like them being a fashion oriented item.

I like the concept of some items having more uses than others. I don't mind if some are inneficient  or even kinda useless. Yes, there are some items that are always used, others that are more of a niche but its cool too when items dont fulfill any specific purpose (also its a recipe item).

When speaking of the fashion goggles, they are fashionable and followers can use them... need a use? upgrade them then.

Having said this, there are many cool concept ideas mentioned for the fashion goggles that i wouldnt mind being implemented as well!

Honestly I think since Walter has no sense of fashion, then something named Fashion Goggles would make him think he’s in fashion.

I’d follow that up by having the other characters quotes read as something like

“I don’t see what Walter see’s in them..”

”These went out of fashion years ago..”

Just a funny pun at the name Fashion goggles.

Oh huh, I didn't catch that change in the patch notes.

I feel a little weird about it honestly. I mean sure they're easier to obtain now, but functionally still just a top hat with 2 more days of durability and no wetness protection. I think I would have prefered if they were kept in the crumpled package drop pool, but with higher dapperness and if the drop pool would have just been adjusted (like for example having a high chance of dropping the blueprints and once you have learned the blueprint the chances either get lowered or disabled entirely).

Over all a good change, just not the one I would have prefered seeing personally.

Archived