Wolfgang short revealing more about Maxwell

In wolfgang's new short we meet maxwell back when he was still William carter at the train crash. One thing I notice is that this train crash is supposed to be the point when William found the codex umbra. Before William gets crushed under a train,We see the shadows strengthen Wolfgang in order to save William before returning to the codex umbra. Does this mean that William essentially asked for another chance at life? My theory now is that *They* offered to save Maxwell if he would summon the rituals inside the codex umbra. The first deal that maxwell made wasn't with a survivor, but with them. What are your thoughts?

It is entirely possible William was studying the Codex while in that train car. When the accident occurred, William was thrown out and pinned beneath the flaming wreckage. They, not wishing to allow Their book to burn (and maybe lose a potential puppet), empowered Wolfgang so that he may save the imperiled Carter. William saw what was happening, and intending to pursue the knowledge further, recalled the shadows giving Wolfgang strength and fled. After that, Maxwell begins to arrive on the stage.

Note: This Rose Appraiser will have to sift through the William Carter Puzzles to better write out this event. Please be patient when concerning fallacies in the writing.

From Maxwell's reaction once he got up from the wreckage, it seems he was aware of what the book was, since as soon as the shadows to returned to it, he instantly closed it and ran away. This is probably the encounter that motivated Maxwell to bring Wolfgang into the constant years later.

What I find interesting is that, from his description ingame

image.png.5fe9aca25f47d3ef653348325c3132

It seems as if Wolfgang, like Wilson, was "yearning" for something, Wilson was knowledge, Wolfgang was strength.

This makes me question what exactly are the rules for bringing people into the constant. Like, why was Wilson told to build a contraption while others like Wes (or the person who was supposed to be chosen) could be brought forcefully? Is there any difference between those brought by Maxwell and those brought by the Shadows? (William, Wanda).

Maybe the reason why Maxwell was chosen was to bring more people since the shadows are limited in some way of doing so, though the reason why they want to bring outsiders into the constant remains a mystery. Maybe as pawns for a war against other realms like Pugna's, Them, wherever the gateway in the ruins leads to...

Edit: Forgot to mention, Widgrid was also one who willingly took Maxwell's offer, so other than Wes, seems all of them were likely brought to the constant by taking Maxwell's offer willingly.

3 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

Pretty sure Wendy did too, to be able to reunite with Abigail

It's kinda messed up when you think about it, they are related...

But one of my favorite things is seeing the web of how characters interact, because Maxwell didn't just pick randomly, he picked with purpose. 

Im just waiting to learn more about why some of why the others were picked, Willow and Warly specifically...

Just now, Erineyes7 said:

It's kinda messed up when you think about it, they are related...

But one of my favorite things is seeing the web of how characters interact, because Maxwell didn't just pick randomly, he picked with purpose. 

Im just waiting to learn more about why some of why the others were picked, Willow and Warly specifically...

Well both Maxwell and Wendy seem unable to even remember each other, all they say is that they feel some familiarity. 

Just now, Dollmaker said:

Pretty sure Wendy did too, to be able to reunite with Abigail

Yeah, a way to "bring Abigail back" was probably what enticed Wendy, and quoting Webber's "He begged for a way to change back, no matter the cost"

In Winona case, she wasn't brought by Maxwell, but Charlie, but she still took her hand willingly.

The outliers seem to be Wes, and looking at the shorts, Walter, since he just turned the radio and bam, unless turning the radio is considered accepting joining the constant, though I doubt it, since the others were specifically given an offer. Warly, Willow and Woodie are more obscure, Warly because his short is from the PoV of the grandmother, and we don't know what happened, Willow is a bit ambiguous and Woodie we know very little about him before joining the constant.

2 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

In Winona case, she wasn't brought by Maxwell, but Charlie, but she still took her hand willingly.

Well Charlie is kinda mentally unstable from what we saw in the short, and while she seems more stable now, its unlikely its fully stable. 

6 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

Well Charlie is kinda mentally unstable from what we saw in the short, and while she seems more stable now, its unlikely its fully stable. 

It was mostly me just looking for a pattern to see what are the rules to bring people into the constant, which might be the reason as to why William got abducted.

Enticed: Wilson, Wendy, Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Warly, Webber, Winona

Brought Forcefully: Wes(whomever he replaced), Walter(maybe)

???: Willow, Woodie.

Brough by shadows: Charlie, William, Wanda

The rest are yet to de disclosed.

44 minutes ago, minespatch said:

William doesn't seem so happy once Wolfgang was bara-rized by the book. He seems angry or miffed instead of thankful. :wilson_shocked:

rather he seems very protective of the book and fearful of questions, as if it was a very recent acquisition.

9 hours ago, CremeLover said:

This makes me question what exactly are the rules for bringing people into the constant.

Ez. Their name (real or nick) needs to start with "W." :3

10 hours ago, Ornge said:

One thing I notice is that this train crash is supposed to be the point when William found the codex umbra.

In all seriousness, I was also wondering about this, too. I also thought that in the midst of the train crash, William found the Codex Umbra, noticed its peculiarity and its profound possibilities, and then fled. 

But Rose Appraiser's speculation seems very plausible as well, where he was perusing the Codex Umbra during the train ride. I mean... William's postcard to Jack never actually stated when he discovered the book. It could have been from any point between him getting onto the train and getting pinned under the train car. We all simply assumed that he found it in the crash, which no longer appears to be the case.

I noticed a bit of an inconsistency with regards the the crash site. The newspaper article from the fourth William Carter puzzle says that "given the remoteness of the crash site, the scorching desert sun, and the escaped animals, the missing man has been presumed dead." However, in the Wolfgang short, the railroad crossing is located in a grassy area and we can see trees in the background both before and after the crash. So maybe the thing about the crash happening in a desert is now outdated lore?

Considering maxwell was stuck under an entire train cart, the codex umbra itself probably gave Wolfgang the shadow steroids, not maxwell.

Also, my personal head cannon is that maxwell didn’t just go to Wolfgang one day years later and go “what’s up remember me??”, I think it’d be much more interesting if Wolfgang sought out Maxwell asking for the power, and Maxwell saw it as an opportunity to make the deal. It makes sense considering Wolfgang and Maxwell both worked in the entertainment industry, so Wolfgang could potentially have known some methods or known some people to help track down Maxwell, and I think it’s much more interesting than Wolfgang just being another case of “strange voice on the radio has a spooky offer woah!!!” Also, the thought of Wolfgang adamantly going on a grand adventure to track down Maxwell makes me smile.

Archived