Nitpick thread - where i complain about small things that annoy me in the game

Since we are getting closer to release i thought i`ll make a thread where i`ll sum up all the things that could be done better but aren`t necessary needed. It`s time for polishing and bugfixing after all so seems like a good moment for suggestions involving that.

First off with the UI things

1. Pedestals - Why do i have to scroll down a list of all the solid items in the game (or at least in my base) to find the artifact? Ok it`s nice to be able to put more things on them but couldn`t the artifacts be at least on the top of the list? I`d go even further and create a separate tab for artifacts to which the selection would default with an option to select "other items".

2. Resource list(the big list you open on the right) - Can we get an option to have all the cathegories collapsed when opening it for the first time. Again it requires scrolling down the list to find what you need. Especially scrolling down all the avaiable seeds and food types i don`t care about at that moment. And i have to do it everytime i want to pin a vital resource - which brings me to the next point:

3. Pinning resources - Could there be an option to pin a resource type when clicking on it. In the window with all the info about the resource pile there could be a button to pin it to the side bar. This would save a lot of clicking.

4. Critter dropoff/feeder ui - Those really need improvement. I mean they work but the critters are ordered alphabetically which doesn`t help and they only get added after they hatch so you can`t select a critter for the dropoff while it`s still an egg (except the gassy moo which for some unexplicable reason is always revealed despite being hidden in space). I`d like the critters grouped by types, then morphs and finally baby critters being a supcathegory for the mature version. They could even use a similar ui like planter boxes for both dropoff and feeders.

Next comes consistency:

5. Building materials - The gas canister emptier requires refined metal despite all other gas bottling structures just require ores. Doesn`t make much sense. Telescopes don`t require glass. I`m ok with the small telescope it`s a reflector type so basically a set of mirrors it could be just some refined metal but the big one is obviously glass and requires just ore. Should at least take some glass to construct. Similar the virtual planetarium - it`s a glass bulb but requires just ore.

Finally some Qol:

6. I think some of the conveyor stuff is too restricted to just being build by mechatronic engies. Like the rails are pretty simple. any dupe should be able to make them. The conveyor vents as well. I think just the loaders and auto sweepers (and  robo miners) should require an advanced dupe. This would help immensly if a regualr dupe could build a dropoff system for unloading a rocket and to empty a payload opener.

I`ll probably come up with more later, feel free to add your gripes as well though.

Short list of few things:

> Make the Pilot Skill to be learnt after the Exosuit Skill, to avoid that I am making dozens or hundreds of dupes to pilots.

> Survival Mode: Provide blueprint construction methods, the planned copying and cloning of proposed player structures, buildings, pipes, wires and "everything". The player should be able to select what should be blueprint cloned.

> Provide "set values" copy function for sensor settings and for whatever else items it makes sense to copy set player values.

> Survival Mode: Add blueprint copy function for an entire rocket interior and to be able to clone build entire rockets via blueprints.

image.thumb.png.c82f90bed6aa8e079c69fa282fb80855.png Designing 6 times the same rocket interior is tedious ( Survival Mode )

...it also would be great if rockets can be operated without dupes - A wish of base game players

minor inconveniences that particularly stick out are

- having to build a whole thing with a pump and a bottle emptier (and for precise occasions, an signal switch) in order to insert some amount of fluid into a piping system. I always just use the bottle inserter mod nowadays.

- heavii watt wires leading into an insulated area having to be a whole thing. When you are building an insulated box that requires extensive power inside, you have two options. You either direct a transformer or two wielding conductive wire inside, or you build an entire vacuum area around where you want the heavii watt wires and build 2 of the joint plates together in such a way that there is vacuum inbetween. I really wish it wasn't that much of a process, and I frequently use the insulated joint plate mod as a result.

- Much less of an actual inconvenience when it comes down to it, but I really wish mechatronics engineering existed in the construction tree of skills. I get that it is a form of engineering, but all you do as a mechatronics engineer is build stuff anyway, and it kind of sucks to have to divert ~5 skill points of my builder(s) away from construction for the sake of unlocking mechatronics engineering for them.

- This is a bit of an obscure/specific one, but it bugs me a bit that natural gas obscures as much light as it does. I am a consistent user of the mod "Gassy Moo Reproduction", and some of my colonies involve maintaining gassy moos for their meat production on the starting planetoids. However, as we all know, Gas Grass requires ~20,000 lux to grow. The starting planetoids are just close enough to the sun to reach this for some time every cycle. However, Since the light absorption factor of natural gas is 25%, one must make many, many adjustments to what would otherwise be a relatively simple concept in order to sustain gas grass, and thereby gassy moos.

- I wish the diagnostics on rockets were more sophisticated.

I got another one for the consistency:

Ruins. - The buildings in the ruins should be all treated equally. The AETN should be like the other ruins stuff. It should be inspectable and demolishable instead of straight up deconstructible. Ruin doors and tiles should also require the demolish skill to get rid of. You could still remove them but it wouldn`t be just an ordinary tile with a different skin but something harder to move. It would also make the PoI "puzzles" harder to deconstruct (i think they need more addjustments but that deserves it`s own thread).

16 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I got another one for the consistency:

Ruins. - The buildings in the ruins should be all treated equally. The AETN should be like the other ruins stuff. It should be inspectable and demolishable instead of straight up deconstructible. Ruin doors and tiles should also require the demolish skill to get rid of. You could still remove them but it wouldn`t be just an ordinary tile with a different skin but something harder to move. It would also make the PoI "puzzles" harder to deconstruct (i think they need more addjustments but that deserves it`s own thread).

Agreed, the puzzles in their current state are underwhelming and AETN is basically a ruin. 

Do you know if there are any plans on adding extra items to the crafting table?
Oxygen masks alone feel a bit underwhelming as well.

I suggest adding these extra items into the same oxygen mask docks as possible bonus equipment on top:
* boots (counter wet feet debuf), 
* googles (counter sore eyes debuf),
* diver's suit (counter submerged debufs), 
* waste CO2 container (to prevent breaking vacuum).

I would leave heat insulation as a special thing for atmosutis. 

Since a rockets seems to be able to autopilots without a dupe, why can't we send drill rockets without any pilot ? So that we could automate this part of the game without having to keep a pilot inside the rocket ? ;)

1 hour ago, Gwido said:

Since a rockets seems to be able to autopilots without a dupe, why can't we send drill rockets without any pilot ? So that we could automate this part of the game without having to keep a pilot inside the rocket ? ;)

You can automate this part of the game pretty easy, just with the duplicant inside the rocket !

2 hours ago, Primalflower said:

You can automate this part of the game pretty easy, just with the duplicant inside the rocket !

I'm fine with keeping Duplicant pilots a requirement, but then at least we should be able to let them out properly, with rocket readiness distinguishing between the crew and the craft being ready.

I got another one (consistency/QoL):

Critter wrangling: We can`t wrangle flyer/floater critters unless we build a dropoff and lock them in a room. It`s super inconsistent. Either we should need to use traps/lures or be able to manually wrangle everything (except morbs maybe). Also traps should be either cheaper(not plasitc) or reusable.

I've got a few you can throw on the pile.

Gameplay

• Rad Lamps should be able to use refined uranium to produce a stronger and perhaps larger area of radiation.

Quality of Life

• We need some way to properly manage mutated sleet wheat grains and nosh beans.
  • Dupes should only use rad pills when they need to.
  • The Radiation Overlay should convey how many rads a dupe is afflicted with.
  • The Triage Cot's sliders should function like the Message Table's.  If below a certain health threshold, the dupe will use the cot.  When above a certain health threshold, the dupe will get off the cot.
  • Storing food in food storage should be a Cooking task in addition to a Supplying task.

Bugs

• The yellow progress bar for the electric grill isn't visible except on certain overlays.

Art and Animation

• The last time I used the Botanical Analyzer, the animation wasn't up to snuff.  The researcher just tapped away at the corner of the table as if they were typing on an invisible keyboard.  Per @watermelen671's thread, the animation is supposed to look like this.

d7fqokP.png

Oh I just posted a new thread with the same type of stuff. Will add here since this is active. Unfortunately I can't seem to delete the original but I'll edit it.

Been a while since I invested a lot of time into a playthrough and wanted to give feedback about the current state of the game. Overall I'm pretty happy with the content and replayability of the DLC. Big thumbs up. That said, there are a few things I would like to see tweaked or improved. I know that there are potentially changes/fixes coming in the future that may impact these issues.

Rocket Automation Part I - Currently rockets will not launch even if being fed a green signal if on a round trip and there's not enough fuel to complete a round trip. At first glance this seems great. The problem this presents is when one of those planetoids refuels the ship and there is enough to make the round trip from the originating (fueling) planetoid. It will refuel, unload, etc. based on automation and purpose as normal at the originating planetoid, launch with enough fuel for a round trip to the second planetoid, get there, load/unload as necessary, and then because it can't make a round trip from that location, won't launch making automation impossible. This means that a ship needs to carry far more fuel than necessary and it gets worse the farther out from the originating planetoid one is.

For my current game I setup automation to determine the exact amount of time necessary to unload, refuel, etc., got it working perfectly, and then found out that when the round trip distance is 20 tiles I need to have 30 tiles worth of fuel in order to automate it. Using the large petroleum rocket that's simply not feasible currently. I'm already using 23 out of 35 height for the engine, solo nosecone, and fuel. That gets me 2 large storage, which isn't a lot of transport as it is. If I'm remembering correctly 2 liquid fuel/liquid oxidizer hydrogen rocket could travel 32, but it seems silly that automating common material transport from mid game planetoids would require hydrogen rockets. That leaves me with 3 planetoids I could automate shipping with petroleum (I know there's some randomness with distance from home each planetoid is so mileage here may vary), one of which already has a teleporter. I have 5 planetoids plus any additional undiscovered at the edge of the map that I would need at least double fuel hydrogen to automate.

If the outcome would be stranded in space that's one thing, but the outcome is landing on another planetoid. And it's more annoying because it refuses to launch. In order to manually launch I have to deconstruct the automation wires. This is a game where setup has consequences, if I make bad decisions trying to automate other devices without thinking it through things break, I get mixed materials in pipes, reactors can overload, all kinds of fun things that then have to be cleaned up. In this case, the automation signal is ignored. Very much not a fan of that. In the least please adjust this so we can still acknowledge the warnings and launch anyways without having to deconstruct automation wires that won't let us issue the command that it's already giving the signal for anyways.

Rocket Automation Part II - Removed, educated on the melting point of tungsten :p

Interplanetary Launcher - Unlike many other buildings, the Interplanetary Launcher does not have an Empty function meaning the current fix to wanting to unload it is to deconstruct it so it drops any pending materials and rebuild it. While not a big issue, it would be very nice to get an Empty function on the loader so we can manually clean it out even if that resets existing radbolt storage.

Atmosuit Docks - While we're past the era of dupes unloading one dock to load up another dock, I'm having this persistent issue that is easily repeatable that results in me having to deconstruct the dock when using a trailblazer module if I don't have extra suits on hand. When initially setting up on a planetoid I try to undock a suit from the dock so that I get one full on oxygen then I manually assign them to wear it. Once they put the suit on as I'm going to the control station to use the trailblazer module they instantly run over to the dock and put it back in even though it does not have a request with the green outline of a suit. A way around this is to have extra suits on board in storage, pause the game, undock the suit you want to use, before you equip it select 'Deliver Suit' on the dock. When unpaused the dupes seem to prioritize ones in storage over the one laying on the ground to load into the dock. This allows equipping the full suit without causing them to immediately redeliver it. Otherwise the only way to circumvent this issue and end up with a dupe on the planet without a suit on (that they docked immediately after being told to wear it before using the trailblazer module) is to deconstruct the dock. Again, not a big deal, but the excess oxygen explodes into the cabin which the stress from popped eardrums can be problematic to deal with, moreso early on. A possible potential easy fix would be to have the trailblazer module take precedence in priority over everything else so that the dupe won't run back to the dock before using the trailblazer module, but that's just a guess based on behavior that may not be the cause of the problem.

Left Info Panel - Would it be possible to tweak this slightly so that notifications don't change position constantly? Not a huge thing, but it would be nice if I try to click on a notification (the one with things like Building entombment, Idle, Food has decayed, etc.) if it didn't shift location in the list constantly resulting in me having my camera thrown to the location of a notification I don't care about because I failed playing whack-a-mole with the alert I was trying to click on.

Unusable Oil Well - Had this happen on my current map (seed SWMP-C-1776253026-0). I had an oil reservoir spawn right next to a natural gas geyser. The neutronium base of the geyser overlapped the oil reservoir making it so I could not place an oil well down. If I'm remembering correctly this was an irregular oil trait on this planetoid that's probably the culprit.

1 hour ago, Niil945 said:

Reconstructing automation wires is very annoying. Steel, niobium, thermium, doesn't matter to a petroleum rocket. The most annoying aspect of this is that it's the wires inside the rocket platform itself that often melt.

Tungsten used to work in the base game as it has a higher melting point than thermium and the rocket temperature was capped below it. I`m not sure if it works in the dlc though.

2 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Tungsten used to work in the base game as it has a higher melting point than thermium and the rocket temperature was capped below it. I`m not sure if it works in the dlc though.

Thanks I'll try that out.

10 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Works for me. I'm pretty sure the hydrogen engine is even hotter too. But tungsten has a melting point of 3421.9°C so it should be able to withstand that. Late game you'll want to switch to using obsidian (2726.9°C) for all the ladders, pipes, and stuff around the pad as well -- igneous (1409.9°C) and ceramic (1849.9°C) aren't enough. Another trick is that if you have a background you can cool all that stuff down with the exhaust CO2 from your base.

I've played since the original was in early access and never realized that tungsten was better than thermium/niobium/steel in that regard :p I just assumed that thermium would be better for that. When I get a chance I'll rebuild using it. Thanks again!

There is one thing that bugs me REALLY bad.  Objects with the light emitter tag, don’t emit light.  Like, I would be okay if it didn’t emit light, if the game didn’t give the objects a light emitter tag.  I would be okay if the light was something small, like 10-50 Lux a tile.  I just think it be nice for it to be consistent, not glowing or glowing, especially with Lights Out.

One thing that nags me is that the ground restrictions of rockets are set by rocket, rather than by platform or planetoid.

I always want to restrict the facilities being used at the home base, while when landed on inhospitable new asteroids I obviously do want them used, and I need to switch back and forth on every flight.

On 12/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, Sasza22 said:

1. Pedestals - Why do i have to scroll down a list of all the solid items in the game (or at least in my base) to find the artifact? Ok it`s nice to be able to put more things on them but couldn`t the artifacts be at least on the top of the list? I`d go even further and create a separate tab for artifacts to which the selection would default with an option to select "other items".

During my winter break I'm trying out some simple mod development. I have a working one locally to fix the sort order and put artifacts at the top of the list. I'll let you know if/when I'm ready to publish it.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.49.36 PM.png

Archived