Did the crossover make you interested in playing Terraria?

Did the crossover update interest you in trying this other game?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Did you start playing Terraria after the crossover update?

• Yes!
    • I was already playing Terraria before
    • No, but will give it a try at some point
    • No, still not interested

I played it since 1.0 for mobile edition and 1.3 for PC, and completed several times.

In the past I liked to play it from zero every time noticeable (not major) update got released, but sadly, I don't play it now, because I 1) already know most of the stuff in it, 2) I don't like to do anything else after game completion (grinding for things like Rod of Discord included).

But for me this crossover on Terraria's side was pretty... neutral. Yes, new boss, new seed, new items are good, but it's not "OMG NEW UPDATE AAAAA!!!!!" like it was in my childhood, but more like "ok, I'm glad that this game is still being supported".

33 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

You basically gave up on your argument here because you assume that if a game like minecraft (that has nothing to do with this) is objectively superior to terraria you automarically hate it.

One guy after another pulling strawmans.

I said people who like megabasing like don't starve and minecraft better while combat focused people like terraria better by far. Where did I say that minecraft is objectively superior? Which part? Are you skimming my sentences so severely and just guessing hoping you get it right? Are you just guessing at what I'm saying and looking for keywords in my sentences that you think is saying what you're guessing?

It's clear you're just here to pick a fight instead of having a discussion seeing how you're not even bothering to read a sentence before making wild claims and accusations so I'm gonna decline from interacting with you.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

I absolutely love Terraria. It's a better game for a short term play session, since I can easily beat the game in its entirety in no more than a week (this is with balancing it with college classes) where as DST is a lot more long-term. 

What do you do in DST after you build a base that's capable of weathering all the seasons, get ruin/shadow gear, and taking out all the bosses available to you once?

I'm honestly asking. I think it's not a coincidence that I like terraria more than DS and that I focus on gear and boss killing.

18 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

I don't like to do anything else after game completion (grinding for things like Rod of Discord included).

I think Rod of Discord is mandatory to beat For the Worthy Master Mode Moon Lord to dodge his death rays. But I guess you're not the type to play the most extreme over the top difficulty intentionally made to be stupidly hard XD

15 minutes ago, wefoij said:

What do you do in DST after you build a base that's capable of weathering all the seasons, get ruin/shadow gear, and taking out all the bosses available to you once?

I'm honestly asking. I think it's not a coincidence that I like terraria more than DS and that I focus on gear and boss killing.

When you boil it down, that is a very simplified way of describing it but overall I'd say that is the end goal of DST. It takes a lot longer (in my opinion) to get to that point in DST though. Terraria is very much more of a combat game, where in DST you need to balance combat and survival (not saying DST is harder by any means, since people tend to overlook the healing cool down in terraria where dst has no such thing). Plus DST is a lot more grindy since very few items in that game lasts forever. In terraria there are rare drops, but once you have them, you have them forever. In DST, I can count on 2 hands the items that have infinite health or durability. You can get an awesome weapon in terraria and it can carry you through multiple boss fights, but in dst, they will break and you better have a stockpile of gear. 

I guess the TL;DR would be that you are technically correct in the overall goal of DST, but it takes some time to get it off the ground compared to terraria. Both are unique games, and both are enjoyable for their own reasons 

1 hour ago, wefoij said:

I think Rod of Discord is mandatory to beat For the Worthy Master Mode Moon Lord to dodge his death rays. But I guess you're not the type to play the most extreme over the top difficulty intentionally made to be stupidly hard XD

Exactly. For me Master Mode was the example how you shouldn't increase the difficulty. Expert Mode provided you with new items, new boss attacks, increased probability of rare items drops, while Master mode triples the stats and give you everything Expert has + some cosmetic items. Pretty bad game design solution, if you ask me.

Spoiler

If you're a creative person - you can try to build something beautiful or cool. If not - make a challenge for yourself and beat it, for example

3 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Exactly. For me Master Mode was the example how you shouldn't increase the difficulty. Expert Mode provided you with new items, new boss attacks, increased probability of rare items drops, while Master mode triples the stats and give you everything Expert has + some cosmetic items. Pretty bad game design solution, if you ask me.

Hm, after this thread I doubt I'll try Terraria.  Things that seemed cool about the game:

1) Bosses have interesting mechanics.

Things that suck about it

1) Their ravenous fan base that turns every comments section into a dumpster fire

2) No girls that want to burn the world down.

3) Thoughtless balance scaling.

I can't stand it when games just up the raw stats, or make things instant death as a way of making things "difficult."  imo I criticize Klei for this a lot with the healing and massive health bars they give some bosses, but I think they are at least trying to balance "things are interesting" with "things are hard," and more likely to err on keeping things interesting and doable then try to appease the hard core this-game-so-l33t crowd.  Other games I've played I've really enjoyed, until I get to harder difficulties - and its not that its hard, but that its long and tedious.  I remember spending like 30mins - 1 hour on a single level of castle crashers because their insanity mode was basically "enemies have 1000x hp and 3x movement speed, you have the same junk, gl!"

imo when it comes to ultimate challenge nothing can beat pvp anyway, so if the game is pve its automatically not the most challenging thing you could play.  When I want challenge I play moba, fighters, tcg, etc.  There is no challenge like a real person, so if the idea is "dark souls so hard" or "terraria so hard" but its not the pvp experience they're talking about...  Nah, if I want challenge I have plenty of games that really give me a battle.

i was already interested and played a little but i prefer to play dst

i might play soon to learn the game so i can experience the ds seed and deerclops fight

16 minutes ago, Superlucas1231 said:

Can we not fight over which sandbox game is better and just appreciate both of them being good indie games.

people saying that one is superior to the other when they are so different The only thing they share is being crafting sand boxes

28 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Hm, after this thread I doubt I'll try Terraria.  Things that seemed cool about the game:

1) Bosses have interesting mechanics.

Things that suck about it

1) Their ravenous fan base that turns every comments section into a dumpster fire

2) Thoughtless balance scaling.

I mean, you still have a choice to choose what difficulty the world will possess - Journey, Classic, Expert or Master. First is like Creative mode-lite, second is, well, a classic one, third mode spices the game a bit while adding new cool and unique rewards (things like Shield of Cthulhu, Worm Scarf, Demon Heart and Soaring Insignia are very nice), and the fourth... adds golden statues and pets. that's all.

Edit: I don't want to insult anyone or start a fight, I just say what I think about things

2 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

To each their own in this regard, but I feel like you're shorting yourself out of a potentially good game experience by judging the game like this.

I never judge a game by its graphics, if I did- only the ones with super realistic graphics would make my list-

And if I was that big of an idiot- I would miss out on games like Dont Starve, Spelunky, Mario Kart etc..

But luckily I grew up in an era of “pixel games” like literally every game was just pixels.. 

Terraria feels like this odd mixture of Kid Icarus, Revenge of Shinobi, Minecraft & maybe just a tiny bit of the original Contra.

Its an Experience I’ve Played many times before..

If you have never played ANY of the above games- you double or triple jump with special pick ups (including wings) you throw high damaging ninja stars at your foes, you mine resources and craft other resources and monsters come to attack you at night.

I never judge a game without first giving that game a fair chance (or 5)

I played Back 4 Blood the day it released, I deleted it a few hours later, then I saw my friends all playing it so reinstalled to see if there was maybe something I was missing out on- deleted it a few days later, THEN I saw all over the Internet where the developers actively acknowledged my problem with the game- Even on Easy it was overly difficult., so I reinstalled it again to see if maybe it was fixed- it wasn’t and I’ve deleted it yet again.

But maybe my problem with B4B isn’t its difficulty, but that instead all its enemy types are something I’ve already fought before in games that presented those enemy types at me far better.. less frustratingly & overall more fun.

You can’t tell people what games they can & can’t like: you also can’t try to explain what’s good about a game you like if other people just can’t see the same reason in it.

So to fight over rather a game is good or bad is a pointless endeavor, instead people should download and try games out for themselves Regardless of how the games graphics look.

I was one of those people who hated Minecraft when it first released because it was ugly and goofy looking, but when I actually gave the game a chance- I was doing cool stuff like collecting flowers, crushing them into Dye, collecting sand, burning it in a furnace, and tinting the windows of my house in cool colors.

Thats something you CANT do in even the most beautiful of graphic’d games like Skyrim and Fallout.

And Minecraft has since become one of my favorite games.

You absolutely have to give a game a chance yourself..  

Whats that old saying again?? Don’t judge a book by its cover- you have to read a few pages first.

27 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

reading this makes me wonder if the cross over was a good idea

It was a great idea, tons of people enjoyed it.

And that's all that matters.

3 hours ago, Duck986 said:

I mean, you still have a choice to choose what difficulty the world will possess - Journey, Classic, Expert or Master. First is like Creative mode-lite, second is, well, a classic one, third mode spices the game a bit while adding new cool and unique rewards (things like Shield of Cthulhu, Worm Scarf, Demon Heart and Soaring Insignia are very nice), and the fourth... adds golden statues and pets. that's all.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that those difficulties are optional and by no means are meant to be the default way to play the game. The devs wanted to give those that took on expert mode a bit of a reward with unique items and you can even obtain them easily by entering expert mode with a high level character from normal mode. Then people complained, because of course they do, that expert mode is just higher hp bar, which kinda obviously the whole point of expert mode. How else can you increase the difficulty of a 2d game. They wanted the expert items without having to work for them. 

Now we have master mode with no game impacting exclusives so people don't feel "forced" to play an optional game mode. Then people complained again because the new rewards are just cosmetics. Best to assume you just can't please everyone, ever.

20 hours ago, wefoij said:

Terraria is incomparably superior to don't starve. In fact it's the best indie game ever made.

This is an L tbh

All jokes aside, I already own terraria and even have more hours in it than DST. While I suffer from “I played this game for over 1k hours and I hate it with a passion and get upset whenever someone praises it” disease and am very tempted to complain, this update did get me to return to terraria to look at the new stuff and terraria’s side of the collab is ok.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You absolutely have to give a game a chance yourself.. 

No I do not. I can do whatever I want with my free time and I can't nor want to play every single video game in existence just to "give them a chance". I've tried a few pixel games in the past and I never could get past the graphics. While they can have an interesting concept and game mechanics, a game's art style is quite important to me (and one of the things I enjoy in DST).

TRIGGER WARNING Also in my view they show low effort and capitalize on nostalgia by using outdated graphics reminiscent of old games (it's important to note that games back then were this way simply because technology didn't allow for anything better).

12 minutes ago, Geo95 said:

they show low effort

You clearly have never attempted to sprite, nor have you talked to people who sprite. I have. Pixel art is not “easy” or “low effort”. It’s a pain to do and requires as much skill as other art forms. I understand there was a trigger warning before this so I apologize for my hostility, however this statement is objectively wrong.

43 minutes ago, goblinball said:

You clearly have never attempted to sprite, nor have you talked to people who sprite. I have. Pixel art is not “easy” or “low effort”. It’s a pain to do and requires as much skill as other art forms. I understand there was a trigger warning before this so I apologize for my hostility, however this statement is objectively wrong.

That's why I said "in my view". I clearly am no sprite expert. But just by looking I can't fathom how something that looks like it was made in microsoft paint requires as much skill and effort as a high quality (semi)realistic image does... If it isn't too much trouble, feel free to dumb it down for me.

8 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

people saying that one is superior to the other when they are so different The only thing they share is being crafting sand boxes

I'm just parroting facts backed by hard statistics such as significantly higher game sales, popularity, recognition, etc. And my opinion as to why that is which admittedly could be wrong. I can only tell you why I loved it and not other people.

I'm not even pushing the game here. I've told multiple users here that Terraria probably isn't for them. You are right, the two games are very different which is why I would never recommend DST to Terraria players and vice versa, which is why I'm also very surprised more than half the people here played both before the crossover.

I have seen a lot of redditers pushing Terraria on Don't Starve players, and a lot of redditers asking which of the two they should get. So maybe there's a similarity in the two games I'm not seeing here.

5 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

reading this makes me wonder if the cross over was a good idea

I'm glad it happened because Abigail filled in the giant gaping hole for summoners and is reliably obtainable unlike the finch staff.

The "discussion" here turned ugly because my first post could've probably been worded better, and I've responded to die hard fanboys rather than ignoring them which is always a huge mistake. I had my guard down this thread.

I've never said DS was a bad game. I'm here and I got 600 hours into it and I'm still playing it so it's a good game, but facts are facts, the game is significantly less successful and less appealing to the average gamer for a wide variety of reasons including significantly less content, significantly less friendly to new players because permadeath and they can't take the game slow because seasons that murder you arrive while you're still figuring things out, etc, etc,

Now if someone wants to have a discussion on why they think I'm wrong and that hard statistics are irrelevant I'm very happy to have that discussion because I feel that way for other games. Dota 2 and League of Legends for example. Dota 2 imo is the superior e-sport but LoL is raking in a lot more money because its more casual so I can't say which is better as a game. Game that appeals to tryhards or game that appeals to regular gamers?

But here, I just don't see anything DST does better than Terraria. Ruins rush, setup a base, and you've experienced all the game has to offer within the first season and no motivation to fight bosses other than as something to do

12 hours ago, Duck986 said:

If you're a creative person - you can try to build something beautiful or cool. If not - make a challenge for yourself and beat it, for example

That's why I'm still here. Gonna try a no-weapon run with webber to fully rely on spiders exclusively. Fire hounds are gonna be a ***** I can just feel it. And I'm still trying to figure out if there's a way to survive the 10,000 year aporkalypse in hamlet while keeping 3 mandrakes alive throughout the whole thing.

And I'm flip flopping around which character I love most. Wendy, Wigfrid, Wormwood, and Webber, with Maxwell now entering the ring. I probably would consider willow down the road too. I'm making charts, graphs, pros and cons lists, experimenting on single player to gather data, etc.

At the same time I'm trying to be less and less reliant on bases just because I can.

56 minutes ago, wefoij said:

I'm just parroting facts backed by hard statistics such as significantly higher game sales, popularity, recognition, etc. And my opinion as to why that is which admittedly could be wrong. I can only tell you why I loved it and not other people.

I'm not even pushing the game here. I've told multiple users here that Terraria probably isn't for them. You are right, the two games are very different which is why I would never recommend DST to Terraria players and vice versa, which is why I'm also very surprised more than half the people here played both before the crossover.

I have seen a lot of redditers pushing Terraria on Don't Starve players, and a lot of redditers asking which of the two they should get. So maybe there's a similarity in the two games I'm not seeing here.

I'm glad it happened because Abigail filled in the giant gaping hole for summoners and is reliably obtainable unlike the finch staff.

The "discussion" here turned ugly because my first post could've probably been worded better, and I've responded to die hard fanboys rather than ignoring them which is always a huge mistake. I had my guard down this thread.

I've never said DS was a bad game. I'm here and I got 600 hours into it and I'm still playing it so it's a good game, but facts are facts, the game is significantly less successful and less appealing to the average gamer for a wide variety of reasons including significantly less content, significantly more friendly to new players because no permadeath and they can take the game slow because no seasons that murder you in x amount of days, etc.

Now if someone wants to have a discussion on why they think I'm wrong and that hard statistics are irrelevant I'm very happy to have that discussion because I feel that way for other games. Dota 2 and League of Legends for example. Dota 2 imo is the superior e-sport but LoL is raking in a lot more money because its more casual so I can't say which is better as a game. Game that appeals to tryhards or game that appeals to regular gamers?

But here, I just don't see anything DST does better than Terraria. Ruins rush, setup a base, and you've experienced all the game has to offer within the first season and no motivation to fight bosses other than as something to do

That's why I'm still here. Gonna try a no-weapon run with webber to fully rely on spiders exclusively. Fire hounds are gonna be a ***** I can just feel it. And I'm still trying to figure out if there's a way to survive the 10,000 year aporkalypse in hamlet while keeping 3 mandrakes alive throughout the whole thing.

And I'm flip flopping around which character I love most. Wendy, Wigfrid, Wormwood, and Webber, with Maxwell now entering the ring. I probably would consider willow down the road too. I'm making charts, graphs, pros and cons lists, experimenting on single player to gather data, etc.

At the same time I'm trying to be less and less reliant on bases just because I can.

*wilson yawn emote*

1 hour ago, Geo95 said:

If it isn't too much trouble, feel free to dumb it down for me.

I’m not a pixel art expert, however there’s a lot more to it than just “open MS paint and place pixels/shrink an image!” (Unless your binding of Isaac) (also don’t use MS paint, aesprite is great and there are free alternatives). Since pixel art is an art medium, you need to know the basics like perspective, light, anatomy, shadows, color theory, etc. however you also need to worry about  contrast, hue-shifting, palette choice, anti aliasing, dithering, clusters, etc. then there’s the can of worms that’s animation, but i don’t know much about that. If it seems easy, then by all means open up ms paint and go wild creating whatever you want, however I think you’ll find it’s much more challenging than it may seem.

Anyways back on topic uhh yeah DST is great and it’s amazing how terraria can be fun sometimes despite being very anti-fun. Both games have upsides and glaring flaws, ultimately which one is better boils down to personal preference, and even then they are so vastly different, unless you really hate one and love the other, I don’t think there is a way to judge which you believe is better.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:50 PM, wefoij said:

Terraria is incomparably superior to don't starve. In fact it's the best indie game ever made.

I'm not even pushing the game here.

ok

15 hours ago, wefoij said:

I'm just parroting facts backed by hard statistics such as significantly higher game sales, popularity, recognition, etc.

Dota 2 imo is the superior e-sport but LoL is raking in a lot more money

ok XD

Okay time to get this thread back on track- Yes- I’ve played Terraria, multiple times and much longer then 10 minutes.. No- I still Do not like it.

Having said that.. Just because “I” Don’t like it Doesn’t mean it’s a bad game, it’s just not one meant for Me.

That opinion is subjective to Changing, depending on just exactly how much DS related stuff ends up in the game.. This Cross-Over does not appear to be just a Once and Done Deal..

Spoiler

1CD51B56-67BD-4683-A86A-CDF921BE58AE.thumb.png.f3bfcaf3056c26778770131ed29d20bb.png

If this means what I HOPE it means then the two games will continue to share ideas, mobs and mechanics with one another.

(there’s a constant world seed and a Terraria world Gen setting.. those can be expanded upon in future updates if the two companies allow.)

Archived