Shield of Terror thoughts?

When I was watching Glermz stream he wasn't too impressed with the shield, and I guess it makes sense - its not the easiest item to get, it has short range, and its not darksword damage...

But it IS a 50+ damage weapon with a sort of infinite durability.  Its not gonna displace hambats as a go-to weapon for boss fights, but I imagine it might be convenient for more sporadic combat like farming spiders, fending off hound waves, random fights against frogs / beefalos, etc.

50+ damage hits a critical threshold where you can KO a hound in 3 hits, meaning you can dodge its initial hit and finish it in one go, without needing to either tank damage or dodge another attack.  For spiders it means you can more easily go through multiple spiders without tanking / kiting, and easily kill a warrior spider between attacks.

I don't think its the best weapon in the game XD but as far as carrying a weapon with you just to be armed for the occasional scuffle it seems alright.  Perhaps its too challenging to obtain compared to its value, but it doesn't seem like an objectively bad weapon to me.

Of course I'm often wrong so XD  What do you all think?

i see it as a very nice way of having less stuff in our inventory and convined with the enlighment crown you get more than enough damage to deal with minor bosses and mobs and is pretty balanced for its range and, with the defense bonus, you can make interesting gear combinations

maybe isnt the most worth thing but isnt neither a waste

what i see is that isnt that poweful for late game and for early can be a nightmere to obtain if you dont perfom the fight correctly (man, 1 mistake and they chain atacks stunlocking you forever if they arent sync..) so by the time you might be free of time to fight the boss you might have already a good supply of dark sworks/glass cutters/hambats/clubs

or maybe is just me that im kinda unskilled at videogames so, until i practise a lot more, for me at the moment isnt worth to be rushed. I can see it as a good power up in terms of QoL while saving materials if rushed like the chthulhu helmet which saves you resources and the worry about having always armor on you

edit: also, the only thing i ask for a weapon is to have atleast 50 damage, less than that arent worth, except in early, because of lategame hound waves. This weapon reach that damage so i would try to take advantage of it if possible

I mean, the twins drop yellow an green gem + 6 gears, which would be enough for me already.

Remember, the shield might not be dark sword, but it can be fed and can shield you as well, which is huge. So you can have free chest slot and head slot for season/light gear and have a weapon/armor at the same time. It only makes sense it has some downsides as well.

Is a respectable weapon&armor with a lot of utility even late-game depending on one's play-style. Has pros and cons as it should (I for one would fancy a bigger hp-pool, let's say ~500-or-so), yet can be back in optimal "health" at the price of some Blue Shrooms/Pierogi - just down those suckers onto your partner-in-crime gullet and is back to mushing-shenanigans in no-time. Best be paired with at least another armor to be sure accidents won't happen and lose it (ok con, on par with all other general weapons/items in-game, including boss-tier).

A very nice addition to the game. 

Everyone has a "Wanda" type weapon now. For general use it is my favorite weapon and is better than the hambat. My biggest gripe with the hambat is having to go back to your base to get another one or how its spoiling mechanic makes it bad for prolonged use. 

It also doesn't overshadow the hambat or the tentacle spikes niche early game. Hambat is still better for when you need a higher quick burst of damage.

16 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you should have higher aspirations :wilson_laugh:

10 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

It's definitly good. I just don't think it's "20k HP" Good without cheesing the fight. That being said, it's definitly close. Honestly if it didn't break at 0%, that alone would probably push it over the edge for a lot of people. Myself included? Maybe.

The thing about the new bosses is if you try them and fail, your progress still counts. It's not like taking DF down to 10k hp and having to fight her 27k hp again. You can slowly chip down at their health pools every other night for example. I think that's a huge difference. Sure BQ has better loot, as does DF maybe? But you have to commit. With the twins, you just have to be patient basically.

You can also summon these bosses onto other bosses to make them fight each other- I’m defiantly using this thing as a portable boss health scaling device. even if that was never what Klei intended it to be used for…

Too Bad, that’s what I’m using it for now- you can call it cheating, cheese or exploits- but until it’s fixed… these “Terraria Eyes” just became my personal minions for doing my bidding.

Word of caution though- sometimes it DOESNT WORK and both bosses will decide to maul your face instead.

“Use with caution.”

Edit: And I forgot to quote the person, oops oh well- Free Shields and Helmets from portable spawning bosses is actually really really if not INSANELY good..

I could easily see these becoming “Meta” since you don’t even have to actual fight the bosses and can instead just stand idly by as DST & Terraria bosses rip each other apart.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Too Bad, that’s what I’m using it for now- you can call it cheating, cheese or exploits- but until it’s fixed… these “Terraria Eyes” just became my personal minions for doing my bidding.

mobs having interactions are part of the game charm so is completly intended. You can achieve, as you know, similar things with pigs vs spiders, bearger/deerclops vs whatever

i should try it, the damn twins have crazy aoe dps

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

mobs having interactions are part of the game charm so is completly intended. You can achieve, as you know, similar things with pigs vs spiders, bearger/deerclops vs whatever

i should try it, the damn twins have crazy aoe dps

Honestly I hope Klei doesn’t change this, I mean yes they can be used as portable boss health scaling devices and maybe that’s unintended.. but (and I’m about to reference what used to be my favorite game of all time) Borderlands had a gameplay mechanic that not many people used or appreciated but had HUGE potential.

That Mechanic- was even though Borderlands was a 4 player coop game, at any point in time two players could melee smack one another and if the second player smacks back a PVP duel is started between the two of them- anywhere in the world inside a combat dome.

This allowed you to choose Where and under what conditions you fought.

Wanted to do battle on a tiny raft with no cover? In the middle of a desert with hungry Skaggs attacking in between?

You got to choose WHERE the shoot out took place- and this New Portable summon boss allows that same kind of feeling.

Im tempted to build a bunch of boat platforms on the ocean and then summon to fight it.. just because I can.

And what Klei needs to take into consideration from this point forward and what people OVERLOOKED in Borderlands- is that any additional content, any new biomes or locations- I can summon this thing down into to fight alongside whatever that biome has in it.

Want an EASY fight against Eye of Terror? Take him to a field of lots of Beefalo in Mating Season and just watch as it gets ripped apart.

Want a HARD fight against him? Take him to an area where YOUR the one more in danger then he is.

This doesn’t just extend to biomes Already in the game- ANY BIOME OR DLC KLEI ADDS from this point forward can have this boss summoned down into.

So if Klei wanted to say for example: continue a long term partnership with Terraria Devs- then we could see an island or world shard exclusively reserved for new terraria mobs and we can summon the boss into that area as well.

Imagine if the Lureplant skin did MORE then just be a skin and actually spit out “Peepers” when you tried to get too close.

Theres a world of possibilities Klei unintentionally added to the game when they added a portable spawn boss.

But instead of nerfing that- they should embrace it and design future updates around it.

(I know this is probably very off-topic & please forgive me Klei for being off-topic.. but it’s something that needs to be brought to everyone’s attention)

Overall, I actually think the shield can fit an interesting niche. It’s not the most powerful weapon or the strongest armor, but what really makes it unique is it’s both at the same time, and that makes a serious difference. You can play considerably more aggressively (Ex: wearing an enlightened crown and magi) and still have 80% protection because of the shield.

My main gripe with it is it has fairly low durability and it can break. When your hand slot can be both your weapon and armor and it has the durability of a log suit, you can blast through durability at an insane rate, especially when bosses can sap 25% of the shield’s durability per hit. Simply making it unbreakable and/or increasing the durability by a good amount are what I would do to fix it.

i really like the shield and the hat, they both feel like pretty solid items that can introduce variety into the weapon pool which is always nice to see

however i dont think the shield should be able to break, i would like for it to follow the "do nothing at 0% until fueled rule". the twins is too tanky and troublesome to fight to grant an item that could break if you had an unlucky lag spike

im fine with the hat being breakable though, by the time it breaks you could pretty easily fight the eye solo to get another one.

another change that i'd like to potentially see is separating the spawn timers between the twins and the normal eye

9 hours ago, splorange said:

i really like the shield and the hat, they both feel like pretty solid items that can introduce variety into the weapon pool which is always nice to see

however i dont think the shield should be able to break, i would like for it to follow the "do nothing at 0% until fueled rule". the twins is too tanky and troublesome to fight to grant an item that could break if you had an unlucky lag spike

im fine with the hat being breakable though, by the time it breaks you could pretty easily fight the eye solo to get another one.

another change that i'd like to potentially see is separating the spawn timers between the twins and the normal eye

if it doesnt break the twins will end in the same corner that CK

they could increase a litle the durability but also i dont think is intented to be used in fights you aren confortable to the point of having the risk of breaking it, in such fight you will want a better weapon and, if you are confortable with the fight, i see fair to have the chance of loosing it for a mistake since, because dst bosses are farmeable, you end up killing them without receiving so much damage or wasting a lot of resources so is your choice to take the risk, like anything in this game, or go with a safer gear. And this without taking in count how much cheesing methods there is that mitigates or even nullifies any possible hit

but im with @Maxil20, being weapon and armor might make controlling the durability a little challenging in some scenarios (i dont really know since i didnt use them so much). But again, i see this weapon for daily fight rather than end game gear to deal with raid bosses.

As i said, a little extra durability wont hurt. I know you can mix it with other armor to increase it but that limits the combinations, if is trully weak (again, i only tested it vs few enemies) having, lets say, 100hp extra could make it more worth and more taking in count the kind of boss fight you have to suffer to get it

12 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I think they're great, but look a bit silly. They're faithful recreations of the items from Terraria but I'm hoping they come out with more serious looking skins for them.

*gasp* how dare you, these ARE the serious looking skins for them.

(though I do laugh at how the Eyemask from behind looks less like eyeball steams and more like Sweet Tooth the clowns hair from Twisted Metal the game franchise)

^^^ I bet now that I’ve said that- anyone who knows what game is can NOT unsee the same thing: Your All Welcome ;) 

But seriously: they don’t look all that out of place to me. 

I think at its core the shield can be best used for aspiring tank players in boss fights. think of it, they can take a boss' hits in very close range while wandas in old form whale from a reasonably safe distance.

now if only there were a way to reliably draw aggro in regular DST...

3 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I think at its core the shield can be best used for aspiring tank players in boss fights. think of it, they can take a boss' hits in very close range while wandas in old form whale from a reasonably safe distance.

now if only there were a way to reliably draw aggro in regular DST...

The shield attacks a lot faster than the alarming clock so you should maintain aggro.

Archived