My Opinions on DS's DLC Characters

All of this text down here is my opinion and have high possibility to be wrong.

DST ported all DS and RoG characters (except Wagstaff) to DST but there is few HAM and SW characters remain. I want to share my opinions about which ones have possibility to be added and how be added or which ones can not be added.

Wagstaff
I believe he is not going to be added. I had a big hope before RoT final update, but I lost most of my hopes after it because he was added as a NPC to the game. I was thinking there was a possibility to Klei add him and his NPC form would not exist when he was active on the server. This would be really hard to handle and would have a lot of problems like when he leaves during event or doesn't want to do it, etc. I didn't have a much hope, but with Wanda's announcement he clearly became impossible to the game because one of his big perk (teleporting) got taken by another character.

Walani & Woodlegs
I don't think those both are gonna be added, at least like how it is now. Unlike Warly , those two is clearly related to piracy. You might say they were pirates before, no I don't think so. DST time is about to early 1900s and there were no pirates like that in those times. Of course there were pirates (they exist even nowadays!) but they are mostly pirates with automatic ships and guns and mostly near around to Africa. There was no the pirates with funny hats, earrings and woodlegs . So they gained their character in Shipwrecked world . Probably they was in DS world longer than we though. At least I can say this for Woodlegs because we find him in a cage. So those two stayed too long in SW and adapted to it.

Now we don't know how does worlds works. We know characters enters the Hamlet with air baloons but not more of that. I believe the SW and HAM worlds are parallel universes unlike RoG. RoG is before DST.

I'm telling this because I believe the thing that turns Walani and Woodlegs themself is staying in SW island for too long. That's why they are pirate-looking. I believe Warly entered the portal much later and teleported to DS world somehow. That's why he has potatoes and garlic in DST but not in DS, because he takes a few things before he leaves the SW world. And as you can see, he doesn't have any pirate look. Or this Warly we have in DST didn't ever go to SW, he is a paralel alternative of SW warly .

Wilba & Wheeler
I don't believe that much Wilba is gonna be added. Now same theory in Walani and Woodlegs works for Wilba too. She is clearly is a HAM styled character. All of her lore is about being princess of HAM pig kingdoms, not gonna write about that. Her wereform is almost same as Woodie's beaver form. Both transformations works for material gathering with little diferent methods but if Klei decide to don't focus on her transformation and add really good mechanics, she might have a chance. But if she be added to the game like how is she now, she only will be a bad alternative for Woodie. I said I don't believe she is gonna added because I think creating a new character from scratch would be easier.

I think same thing about Wheeler too. She is not HAM styled but her pew-o-matic just taken by Walter, dodge ability taken by Wanda and Wortox. She could be added as a character that have little thing from everybody but like I think in Wilba, it's eaier to create from scratch than rebalancing existing ones. But I still see her as an option.

Wilbur
I believe Wilbur could be added to the game. In lore, unlike Wurt, Wilba and Wormwood this guy is probably not from DS world. He is from real world. About clothes and crown, I would say he was in a circus and it was his costume or he stole it from a survivor (my bet is on this).
In circus poster, you can clearly see he really look like real world monkeys, not SW or DS monkeys.

Spoiler

resim.thumb.png.77d1fb955a4f80c2347dde7afa429b29.png

resim.png.18b5e8f2de07c9891bf218ad0f8eb691.pngresim.thumb.png.9ee10a947e167e0082a9ac01e9c12476.pngresim.png.a8fbba25162340f1be9e7af5ff7e9cba.pngresim.png.ce4e10809d40c14aee791101d1e8b50b.png

So that removes lore problem of adding Wilbur. Now unlike other DLC characters, none of his skills got taken by other characters. Also he have really big potentials like being able to use second item with his tail (HowlVoid's idea) to hold lighting sources while digging, chopping etc. Or being able throwing manure to small creatures to make them dizzy and catch small creatures with this way without bugnets. Also there is a lot of pottential things that could be added to a monkey character.

Thanks for reading if you did.

1 hour ago, GrMcGillacactus said:

Opinion rejected.

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

Opinion rejected.

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

Opinion rejected.

38 minutes ago, Seero said:

Opinion rejected.

It's ready guys and gals,

NOW WE CAN SHARE OUR OPINIONS AND FIGHT TO DEATH FOR THEM.

47 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Imagine if someone barged into this thread and started ranting about how much Walani needs to be added to DST.

There will be, she is pretty popular in ds forums. But she is really empty character, a gal with surfboard.

1 hour ago, Karitha said:

There will be, she is pretty popular in ds forums. But she is really empty character, a gal with surfboard.

there is nothing wrong with a gal with a surfboard.. in fact, Hamlet takes place in a mostly surfacey environment, but it has tiny ponds of water you need to eventually sail through to progress further through the Hamlet world.. Walani being able to place and then also pick up her surfboards allows travel though this *Gasp* Completely Waveless world (outside of the splashes from certain mobs making the waves) makes travel for her Significantly faster then any other character, But the surfboard is WEAK and easily destroyed if she got chased by something like a RockJaw shark.

Actually now that the majority of DST has an Ocean: Walani is probably the character MOST likely to be added, even JoeW once said there was a possibility for her to be added (someone else can link that post)

Ahem that said- Wagstaff could be added to the game due to those quote “Parallel realities” what we see in the Moonstorm is clearly a HOLOGRAM… so WHERE is the REAL Wagstaff?? And it would still make perfect sense to see Holograms of yourself alongside yourself.

Wilba would need a few changes but it’s no more or less work than what they already did with Wormwood who was also from the Hamlet DLC, I think her Re-work focusing on creating jewelry that forces or prevents Werepig transformations in herself and pig mobs would be fitting for her character, perhaps even actual Werepig/Pig King Lore could be present with her?

Wheeler is basically just Wortox soul hops and Walter Slingshots, the only uniquely exclusive to Wheeler ability she would bring to DST at this point would be the Navigadget which COULD be useful if Klei really wanted to add her I guess? (Noob helpful compass that you put certain things inside and a nice pretty arrow points the direction towards more of that type of resource.)

Wilbur- He is Monkey, Monkey is fun.. Monkey has potential to be Unique by having an equip slot for his tail and hands, making him the ONLY Character who could hold a torch in his tail AND Chop wood with his paws at the same time.

Woodlegs I have no opinion about, but without his special pirate boat and canons Woodlegs doesn’t really have any personality unique to him.. and I don’t think Klei is going to add in a pirate boat with canons, maybe if he ever came at all he could have unique crafts for the boat cookie platforms but even that: Would just make him a pick & swap character long enough to place his structures then never bother playing as again.

In the end: It’s only 6 additional KLEI OFFICIAL Dont Starve franchise characters: and they are ALL equally trapped inside the Constant together, where there at, what they’re up to now, if they escaped?? All of that is mystery.. But if Klei plans to drag out content updates like I HOPE they are 6 additional reworks sounds pretty reasonable to add to a 2/3year content plan: Even if that means we won’t see any of these characters till 2024..

Warly however was officially described as having his ship dashed into the shores of DST and the survivors rushing to recover him, therefore implying that we could Technically just “Sail” into Shipwrecked Biomes.

I really don’t think Anyone would have wanted the DLC cast had Klei NOT brought over Shipwreckeds Warly & Hamlets Wormwood 

(I have no explanation as to how Wormwood got from a sky biome to the dst area.. maybe he just chased a butterfly off a ledge and fell but because he is plant, it didn’t even hurt him?)

Klei adding Shipwreckeds Warly & Hamlets Wormwood has given their fans HOPE that maybe their favorites from those expansions will someday be added.

And with all the different skin customization choices we have, we could give them unique and cute outfits beyond just what they wore in Hamlet/Shipwrecked, there’s even already multiple TAIL Choices thanks to Wortox (and some Wurt Skins) to give to Wilbur..

In the end: It’s up to Klei to decide if adding the remaining characters ends up being a worthwhile endeavor. They ultimately want to make money, and to ME it seems logical to add fan favorites to the game, but maybe they have other plans.

4 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Imagine if someone barged into this thread and started ranting about how much Walani needs to be added to DST.

Lmao you said it

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

there is nothing wrong with a gal with a surfboard.. in fact, Hamlet takes place in a mostly surfacey environment, but it has tiny ponds of water you need to eventually sail through to progress further through the Hamlet world.. Walani being able to place and then also pick up her surfboards allows travel though this *Gasp* Completely Waveless world (outside of the splashes from certain mobs making the waves) makes travel for her Significantly faster then any other character, But the surfboard is WEAK and easily destroyed if she got chased by something like a RockJaw shark.

First off, Hamlet has only pond biomes that don't usually lock off players.

Second, how would you even explain something so uninteresting as a surfboard on a peaceful sea, without essentially ruining the game by adding "funny rng seawaves" because there are actual boats in the game.

11 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Lmao you said it

First off, Hamlet has only pond biomes that don't usually lock off players.

Second, how would you even explain something so uninteresting as a surfboard on a peaceful sea, without essentially ruining the game by adding "funny rng seawaves" because there are actual boats in the game.

The same way I would explain “allow Wurt to swim” it’s basically just reskinning Walani’s Surfboard mechanic of being able to enter water and exit water- except Unlike Walani.. Wurt wouldn’t have any additional item taking up a slot in her inventory if Klei Seriously considers giving her swimming animations.

It doesn’t have to make sense, it just has to be fun.. And as far as fun goes: Portable Surfboards are more fun to me then portable Kitchens, or a Jumbled Mess of a ranged character who is really played best not even using his ranged combat at all.

If you don’t like Walani that’s fine, but I gave my opinions on not just Walani but all 6 dlc characters and how I felt they could be added to DST, the only one I see being “unfitting” is Woodlegs, as he would need to be entirely changed altogether to get added.

Another possibility you need to look at: Klei may ACTUALLY have plans to add all the characters that weren’t unlocked in unique ways (sorry Wilbur, Wilba & Woodlegs fans)

This means- Anyone you could simply unlock through just earning EXP Aka: Wigfrid, Warly, Wormwood, Walani & Wheeler.

But then again- Wes, Maxwell, Webber all required special unlocking methods originally too so there’s still hope for Wilbur, Wilba, Woodlegs.

25 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Just port entire Hamlet and Shipwrecked to DST and be done with it :wilson_laugh:

Both could be hosted on separate servers like caves and surface but instead Hamlet and Shipwrecked.

yeah, who cares if they were paid DLCs before? Money? Klei doesn't need money, be serious!

57 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

I don't know why more people don't know this, Wagstaff is not part of Hamlet, He was added to the main game when Hamlet came out.

7 hours ago, Karitha said:

DST ported all DS and RoG characters (except Wagstaff) to DST

I knew that.

5 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

yeah, who cares if they were paid DLCs before? Money? Klei doesn't need money, be serious!

Hell yeah! also Klei has ben sold to a communist company, another reason to make it free.

19 minutes ago, Dextops said:

me omw to lag my computer into the 12th dimension 

Not really?? No lol- there are options to host your servers as “Standard Forest & The Caves” why do these even have name listings AT ALL if Klei has no plans of EVER adding any other sort of choices here?

Maybe for example I can swap “Forest” for “Shipwrecked Island” and “The Caves” for “Hamlet Temple”

In short: Your only ever playing on the SAME two server shards, only these would be different choices you can pick prior to launching the world.

Also: I fully support the idea of adding SW & Hamlet compatibility into Dont Starve Together- And over on PC it already does this to a limited Degree:

Buying Shipwrecked gets you a cool Pirate Birdcage skin in DST, Buying Hamlet unlocks Wormwood for DST for Free.. 

The Compatibility is MINIMAL but it’s still there.. I Just wish Klei would let me use the expansion packs I paid for with DST.

I can play Solo DS and make That compatible with the expansions, why not DST?

Now also do please note that “DLC Compatibility” Does NOT = Port the entirety of Shipwrecked and Hamlet into DST… because not even in the SINGLE PLAYER game does turning on the compatibility option do that- All it REALLY does is allow you to play as those DLC characters and have access to a few DLC craftables outside of their DLC environments.

But yes: you can build a Seaworthy/Skyworthy and go to the different DLC worlds- But again that goes right back to my point of hosting “Standard Forest” & “The Caves”

32 minutes ago, Dextops said:

me omw to lag my computer into the 12th dimension 

22 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

Just in case you do realize this wasn't a serious suggestion right? xD

26 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

Clearly klei doesnt care. Remember when they gave hamlet away for free to an absurd amount of players who were basically guaranteed to buy the dlc? :lol:

31 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

To be fair: Klei has officially at one point or another acknowledged and promoted Shipwrecked/Hamlet, Gorge/Forge Mods.. If you happen to be on PC you can play and experience ALL of this content and for 100% FREE rather you did or didn’t buy the DLC expansions.

As a Console player I really don’t think that is very fair, because I paid money to play that content, and I feel like those mods should’ve been discontinued by Klei, Or offered to console players in some capacity. Otherwise if your on PC- Enjoy SW & Hamlet content for 100% Free! 

If allowing people to unofficially play paid content didn’t kill the sales of that paid content: Nothing Else ever will. Period..

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again-

Klei could use DST as a way to actually further drive SALES for those expansions:

Buy Shipwrecked: Gain free access to Warly, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs and some snazzy cool Shipwrecked Themed skins/belongings.

Buy Hamlet: Gain free access to Wormwood, Wheeler, Wilba, Wagstaff & equally Snazzy Hamlet themed skins/belongings.

All of which could of course be purchased separately or Woven… 

Its just buying the DLCs would instantly grant them to you.. 

Klei could then simply go crazy adding Shipwrecked & Hamlet themed content into DST Where they feel that content most appropriately fits..

Keep in mind they literally added an Island to DST that had its very own Weather effects… I’m pretty sure Klei has at least sit around silently scheming ways to make it work.

And personally? I don’t think ANYONES favorite DS Franchise character should be excluded from the game.. rather theyre from a DLC expansion or not..

When people can play those expansions free with mods- Everything else becomes highly irrelevant.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind seeing a few tidbits of content from the DLCs, but I would mainly like those to stay where they are. Otherwise singleplayer DS gets almost completely redundant. Right now, it's its own game with its own mechanics, and I like that

With the addition of Wanda i think it's very likely to see Wagstaff, Because she established alternative timelines and realities, why do people think having Wagstaff as an NPC makes him automatically discarted as a Playable character? I mean, we can have entire servers filled with only one character and nothing happens, what's the difference between one player being Wagstaff and the world having Wagstaff as an NPC at the same time? I don't see any problem

Archived