What method is the best at harvesting huge amounts of logs? (Answered)

If you're willing to wait for Bearger to come back next autumn, I think the best way to get lots of logs is to take Bearger to a birchnut forest. Bearger one-shots poison birchnuts, so it can knock down trees for you for as long as you want without getting killed. Pine trees turn into treeguards too often and kill Bearger before you get get lots of logs, in my experience.

The best log-collecting experience I ever had was when I thought to plant a bunch of birchnut trees in a straight line right alongside a path, then when Bearger showed up, I got it to start rushing at me, and with a walking cane and the path combined, I was just barely able to outrun it, and it mowed down the majority of the line of trees I'd planted. So, if you want to make that investment of time and effort, that's an option.

Other than waiting for Bearger, I believe good characters for gathering logs are Woodie and Maxwell. Or you can hire pigs to chop trees for you by giving them meat and then starting to chop a tree--they should get the message and start punching trees for you.

Glass axes are expensive, yes, but they're not quite as expensive as they look at first glance. They're as fragile as a flint axe, but dropping trees in 6 swings means you get 2.5x as much wood. If you need a ton of wood during spring/summer, you might be willing to pay the price.

I've never used it, but I've heard the Weather Pain is a good logging tool, particularly if you're farming birch since, according to the wiki, it drops Poisonous Birchnut Tree's in one hit.

Pigs are often overlooked because they're among the less efficient strategy, but they're extremely accessible with just a few monster meat and if you hire enough of them, you can utterly decimate a forest in a day.

Antlion Boulders aren't great for mass farming, but they're a free lunch for those who spend summer underground. Just plant a small tree farm near your summer base so you can drop boulders on it periodically.

And finally, the Action Queue Reborn mod makes grinding a natural forest down to the stumps with ordinary axes a fairly relaxing and satisfying play session. It doesn't do anything you couldn't theoretically do by giving yourself carpal tunnel, but it makes it much more hands-free. And while chopping manually may seem like a waste of time compared to other strategies, consider that every birchnut and pinecone you obtain in the grind can be added to your tree farm, making Beargers next arrival much more profitable. 

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Bearger > Reanimated skeleton > Maxwell > Others

Merms are way better than the skeleton and maxwell

If you really need logs and dont wanna change portal, use weather pains to get few logs until the next autumn

If you dont mind use the portal you can pick maxwell or woodie (or before warly to make honey crystals).

If you are planning a long term world you can also pick wurt, go to the swamp, hire every single merm and chop an entire forest and with the logs you can build their houses near a bunch of planted trees. You can left a bundle with the merm groucho glasses so you dont need to use the portal everytime you need logs

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Bearger > Reanimated skeleton > Maxwell > Others

Sorry but this is more accurate.

Wicker + Bearger > Bearger > Reanimated skeleton > Maxwell > Others

3 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

If you're willing to wait for Bearger to come back next autumn, I think the best way to get lots of logs is to take Bearger to a birchnut forest. Bearger one-shots poison birchnuts, so it can knock down trees for you for as long as you want without getting killed. Pine trees turn into treeguards too often and kill Bearger before you get get lots of logs, in my experience.

The best log-collecting experience I ever had was when I thought to plant a bunch of birchnut trees in a straight line right alongside a path, then when Bearger showed up, I got it to start rushing at me, and with a walking cane and the path combined, I was just barely able to outrun it, and it mowed down the majority of the line of trees I'd planted. So, if you want to make that investment of time and effort, that's an option.

Other than waiting for Bearger, I believe good characters for gathering logs are Woodie and Maxwell. Or you can hire pigs to chop trees for you by giving them meat and then starting to chop a tree--they should get the message and start punching trees for you.

I already know this, I'm just gonna wait for next autumn and exact revenge on the 5 tree guards.

If bearger’s dead and didn’t get the shadow thurible yet go Maxwell, and when treeguards spawn get them stuck behind a few statues or feeeze them with the flingo so they calm down. Plan B to not deal with treeguards is go Warly, make a handful of sweetened foods then go Woodie and chop as beaver. It’s not the fastest chopping at all but given your options you don’t waste any time setting up a way to deal with treeguards or dealing with them.

If you got the thurible then go skeleton and maxwell. And if you have some spare time set up some catapults behind some statues to deal with all the treeguards at once once you are done.

Last option is stay as Wanda or whoever you like and wait for bearger, and use birchnut trees outside of winter. You can even make a setup at a smaller moon island and telelocate bearger there, to go harvest safely (Wanda has 0 travel time so bonus points on that) so bearger never bothers again or relocates once you are done.

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

So you dont pick up logs using maxwell or the skeleton helps you picking them?

Wurt can pick, shovel and refine logs meanwhile the merms chops

maxwell only has to pick up logs not dig them up too making him faster

6 minutes ago, Dextops said:

maxwell only has to pick up logs not dig them up too making him faster

But he only can have 2 choppers and 1 digger

Wurt can have more choppers and dig herself or just pick the logs and ignore using the shovel since the merms can chop a bigger forest in less time

Also, merms doesnt need help to defeat poison birchnuts so it saves time and weather pain uses

Usually max>wurt but wurt has more potential

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

But he only can have 2 choppers and 1 digger

Wurt can have more choppers and fig herself or just pick the logs and ignore using the shovel since the merms can chop a bigger forest in less time

Also, merms doesnt need help to defeat poison birchnuts so it saves time and weather pain uses

Usually max>wurt but wurt has more potential

the thing is its been tested for what were the best chopping methods for cutting down 400 trees and even with only 2 choppers one digger maxwell beat wurt though none of this matters and we should all bow down to our bearger overlords

Just now, Dextops said:

the thing is its been tested for what were the best chopping methods for cutting down 400 trees and even with only 2 choppers one digger maxwell beat wurt though none of this matters and we should all bow down to our bearger overlords

Tested in what conditions? You cant tell me that maxwell can get wood faster than a wurt with 10 merms

What kind of trees? Did you use something to beat the treeguards? Did you use orange amulet? 

Too many factors

What im seeing as a curious thing is people saying that the skeleton is that good. I guess they refer to the cave variant one because the surface skeleton just sucks as a way of getting wood with how shorts are nights and how slow it is.The cave stalker atleast can be all the time alive and can defeat treeguards

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

its saying maxwell is faster than wurt once you account for picking up logs

Rewatch the video

Guilled did it in an ideal scenario without treeguards and ignoring other factors like orange amulets or harvesting more than 400trees, ignoring digging, the kind of tree, etc

As i said there is a lot of factors and, as i also said, usually max>wurt

You should think about something, not just watch a video a wait the question to be answered ignoring all the factors that, even the creator is telling you, we must take into consideration

without treeguards

he gave an way for maxwell to negate tree guards using pigs 

like orange amulets

still be the same if no one had amulets which none of them did

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

ignoring digging,

he didn't ignore digging that was a big part of what made certain characters more/less efficient 

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You should think about something, not just watch a video a wait the question to be answered ignoring all the factors that,

i've tested it myself and i came out with the same results tho i did use less trees

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

he gave an way for maxwell to negate tree guards using pigs

I saw the pigs, good method

3 minutes ago, Dextops said:

still be the same if no one had amulets which none of them did

No? The more you dig the more logs the amulet can get.  2 choppers doesnt chop fast enough to make the lazy be saturated as far as i know

4 minutes ago, Dextops said:

he didn't ignore digging that was a big part of what made certain characters more/less efficient

Exactly, he doesnt but he mentioned it. If you use bearger or many mobs you can ignore digging and chop more trees.

Archived