why beefalo taming has no HUD, no idea what the HP and other Stats are

It certainly would be convenient, wouldn't it?

Though there's a mod for it, but not everyone likes using mods or has access to them. A visual indicator on the beefalo for their current HP would be nice. Perhaps a couple of bruises or the like would be suitable

There is a indicator for health when riding. If the outline of the screen is red it means the Beefalo is low on health. Even the rider exclaims by saying that it badly hurt when it falls below a threshold. If you feed the Beefalo enough food it plays a happy animation. When you see it you can be sure it won't buck you off due to hunger. The current system works well and is immersive in the sense that it would be strange to know exactly what the Beefalo is faring. More visual cues in the form of animations or character quotes could be nice though.

DST plays out better without the screen being filled with numbers and stats, imho.

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

There is a indicator for health when riding. If the outline of the screen is red it means the Beefalo is low on health. Even the rider exclaims by saying that it badly hurt when it falls below a threshold. If you feed the Beefalo enough food it plays a happy animation. When you see it you can be sure it won't buck you off due to hunger. The current system works well and is immersive in the sense that it would be strange to know exactly what the Beefalo is faring. More visual cues in the form of animations or character quotes could be nice though.

DST plays out better without the screen being filled with numbers and stats, imho.

Feeding a beefalo to max would be tedious. and that has nothing to do with its riding time

All what you need to know
Beefalos do not have sanity. and you can only tell when they are below 200 on HP after your character says something and the below screen shows dark red. 

there are 3 things you need maintain while taking care of a beefalo. hunger. obedience. and domestication

Hunger as usual. you feed them veggies and they get the same value of hunger you would get. though they got a max cap of 375 hunger. and they will fart when they are at 80% cap. though keep in mind they burn 1 hunger point a second. I don't recommend feeding them twigs or grass.

Obedience. every time you feed it something including stuff like petals and light blubs it will go up by 10%, 10% is required to put the saddle on and if it goes below 40% then it will shake it off and waste some durability. 50% is required to be able to ride it and it goes down really fast if the beefalo is not fed. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CONSTANTLY KEEP UP ITS HUNGER JUST TO RIDE IT. 

domestication determines how long you can keep riding it. you first start with 15 seconds then it goes to 2 minutes when you're at 99%. later after that. it becomes 13 minutes which is basically a day and a half. 

Your goal is to gain 100% domestication and the tendency you want, if its not an ornery then you will never have to feed it again just to ride it. you gain 0.1% points of these every 10 seconds the beefalo is ridden/fed. a brush can be used to fasten the process but they are not easy to get and require some RNG.  

there are 4 tendencies 

1 default. balance all of them to get this. my favorite which I always aim for 

2 ornery. hit and get hit to gain this tendency. 50 attack damage but requires to be fed. feels like a untamed beefalo with war saddle. from my experience with it I do not recommend it

3 Rider. the more time you spend riding it the more of this tendency you get. cheap transport as if you're using a walking cane and mag

4 Pudgy, gained by constantly over feeding it. not good for anything at all, basically a punishment you earn by constantly over feeding it 

For health and hunger it's passable to not have access to these

but for the taming process it's really bad. Makes taming default beefalos hell because you can't go overboard with any trait and makes the whole process way longer than necessary

If you give the beefalo the Formal or Victorian outfit you should be able to inspect it to engage it in polite conversation. "Hello, beefalo. How are you feeling today?" "Hello, Wilson. I feel like I have 897 health. Thank you so much for asking!". Would fix everything, I think.

39 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If you give the beefalo the Formal or Victorian outfit you should be able to inspect it to engage it in polite conversation. "Hello, beefalo. How are you feeling today?" "Hello, Wilson. I feel like I have 897 health. Thank you so much for asking!". Would fix everything, I think.

HAHAHA

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

that is the only acceptable way

Because you kind of don't need it? I've tamed many beefalo before and I've never needed some hud to tell me what to do: I don't need to know the domestication because the beefalo will domesticate eventually, when your beefalo goes below 200 hp, your character says a quote and the bottom of your screen gets a red effect. Obedience can be determined by just trying to ride the beefalo, and their trait can be determined by looking at their face. Plus I feel like another hud would just muddy up the screen. Have you actually tried taming a beefalo before?

14 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

Fully agree. It's fine if they don't wanna display it by default, but at least make the values accessible to client sided mods so people have that choice.

iirc a beefalo hud mod cant be made client side becausebbeefalo taming information is stored in the server

if abigail can get her HP displayed then beefalo should definitely too. a domesticated beefalo is much more precious than abigail who is immortal. 

Its about removing the need to guess ur beefs HP and how much u need to heal. Everyone knows about the 200 hp red screen and character quote. 

as always console players get the short end of the stick. 

Archived