Improving pvp in DST

I have been playing DST for years and have over the last year got really into pvp but I have found that the pvp aspect of the game is somewhat incomplete.  I have a few ideas that I wanted to put forward that I think would greatly improve the overall feel of pvp.

1. Make traps get triggered by players.  Things like tooth traps and bee mines don’t get triggered by players, if they were set off by players other then the one that deployed them it would allow other players to plan ambushes or loot traps that could kill other players .  To expand on that the dmg on tooth traps is kinda low given that players wearing armour would only take minimal dmg from the trap, so why not increase the dmg that they would do to players, similar to how deerclops and other bosses do extra dmg to mobs like pigs and bunnymen simply make the trap do more dmg to a player, I would suggest 50-100 dmg to player making a football helmet or log suit reduce the dmg. This would also allow people to protect chests or bases from people trying to steal.

2.  Increase effectiveness of sleep darts on players.  From my experience sleep darts used in pvp only slows other players for a few seconds and to be honest doesn’t give much time to even get close to another player let alone kill the player, it would be nice if for example 2 sleep darts used in a row could make a player pass out just like wickers STS or a pan flute.  This change would help stop the constant complaints about those other items being considered cheap or unfair.  Fire darts as well I feel should do some sort of dmg on top of setting the target on fire

side note - people who complain about STS and pan flute being unfair are not playing pvp right lol, I have played many games where the person with a pan flute is dominating the other players because people don’t know how to defend against it.  Simply avoid the player, wear armour, or get your own pan flute from one of the mandrakes by using a prestihatinator, it’s really not difficult to make and is fairly easy to find.

3. Have some sort of pvp mode, similar to wilderness and endless where players will start in a random place on the map whilst still being able to revive themselves at the portal. Also players should begin the game with a spear and football helmet or log suit to give all players a combat option immediately on top of each characters original starting items.

4.  Klei should add a pvp dedicated server, especially on console allowing people to pvp without giving any specific player control over the server 

to conclude I think some of these or all of these changes could potentially increase player interest in pvp… would love to hear other people’s suggestions and comments about my suggestions

Honestly? This PvP isn’t and was never designed as a main attraction for DST… certain characters are incredibly broken and Too OP for Any other characters to even stand a chance..

(When you Win in PvP as the 50 HP Maxwell vs the 400 HP WX78.. maybe we can start talking about balancing PvP..)

But.. Wigfrid starts with Spear and Helm she’s the go to choice for PvP obviously, because she can kill all other players before they even have weapons.

And on top of that- Certain Characters will also dominate you completely in certain biomes- Go to the Shadow War Zone? Oh well guess who has the advantage here: Willow Because she can let Bernie fight the shadows while YOU die to Insanity.

Want to go to the new Seaforest Biome and do PvP battle? Well.. all those Water Spiders are Webber’s Advantage.

In Shortest terms possible: Klei shouldn’t start designing ANYTHING about this game in PvP as much as they like to proclaim doing this or that would be a quote “Waste of Development time and Resources..” Trying to BALANCE or make PVP more fun would TOTALLY be doing exactly that.

I can say this- Because I play games like SMITE, Apex Legends, Rogue Company and Rainbow Six Siege- Do you know what ALL of those games have in common?

Constantly being patched and having certain characters Buffed or Nerfed due to the crying whining fanbase saying so & so is unfair.. Devs cave in listen & patch.

It’s a NEVER ENDING Cycle… but for me as a person who plays these games (Smite And Apex being the highest guilty parties in this list…) it gets TIRING As Heck to get used to the way a certain character or gun plays… and then they Nerf the bleep out of it in a patch later..

I WAS a Season 1 Wraith Main in Apex Legends: She has been Nerfed every single season… Meanwhile Newer release legends have truly Amazing abilities and Wraith continues to be a shell of what she once was..

My point is- in a Game like DST PVP is NOT FUN, and unless Klei wants to be updating their game on near about a 2-3 day basis for “whining community balance purposes” then I highly suggest that they don’t even give this their time of Day.

THAT SAID… An actual Dedicated PvP arena where you all fight with the same HP, and same weapon to try and push each other off a circular battle platform surrounded by lava Would be absolutely FUN (Go download and play MAROONERS Already) 

PVP is DST will always be bad, the game was never meant to be PVP and therefore was not designed or balanced around it.

Traps getting triggered by players is probably fine

Sleep darts would not need a buff, getting put to sleep is a death sentence

"Add a PVP mode" makes no logical sense, you are literally just describing wilderness with pvp enabled and custom starting items

"Add a PVP dedicated server" I don't even have to say why this is bad

To conclude I don't think you have thought about this very well or have actually tried playing PVP because the only thing that really needs to be fixed and makes PVP complete garbage is stunlocking which basically lets whoever attacked first win in almost every situation, and the fact that you didn't bring it up brings your experience into question.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

(When you Win in PvP as the 50 HP Maxwell vs the 400 HP WX78.. maybe we can start talking about balancing PvP..)

Tested and yeah no its pretty easy to do that, especially with shadow duelists, so lets talk about balancing PvP

35 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

Tested and yeah no its pretty easy to do that, especially with shadow duelists, so lets talk about balancing PvP

Okay-

38A968D2-F865-4F6B-B1D3-23DEAE24B92B.thumb.jpeg.9592a4a16e6f8cc98286d06261ed55dd.jpeg

B05E6451-8FD2-4DB6-9D12-93A56E28DCD1.gif.53463c9fd2f0b4630335d96e6d4a3b97.gif

Every Character has the same health points, every Melee Weapon is Purely Cosmetic ONLY and all deal the same damage, the only advantage in this game is if you are first to get to the randomly dropped onto the map pick up boxes.

Plus I mean there’s already a Mini-Game you can play by giving Pig King a Belt and getting smacked silly for a few moments by a few pigs, so the animations for beating each other off the edge of battle arena maps are ALREADY in the game..

9EB0C317-353F-420E-A584-6B7B34AD5D11.gif.036d820f1fdc860c4ad30d6ee3fbc48d.gif

If I was a mod creator I could probably have this mode in the game in a span of like 3-4 minutes.. But unfortunately I’m no Mod Creator, and all I can do is hope someone at KLEI has played Marooners & makes this mode happen for me (could be added to main Menu or Curio Mini-Games whatever!)

This to me is the ONLY WAY you Balance PvP in DST.. without it becoming a never ending cycle of endless patches for buffs & Nerfs.

honestly I doubt it'll ever be possible to make wilderness pvp ever feel completely fair, but I've had a decent amount of fun playing pvp with mods that make sure everyone is on a level playing field, although even with those you're still at the mercy of lag and inconsistent attack speed

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Go to the Shadow War Zone? Oh well guess who has the advantage here: Willow Because she can let Bernie fight the shadows while YOU die to Insanity.

bernie can't be used in enlightenment and pvp servers generally don't play with caves on anyway let alone activate the archives

i agree 

i mean yes dst made to focus on survival but wouldnt it be fun if we had multiple "real" options before starting a new world it would keep game fresher

it doesnt even have to be a real another way of gameplay you can think this like gorge or forge 

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Go to the Shadow War Zone? Oh well guess who has the advantage here: Willow Because she can let Bernie fight the shadows while YOU die to Insanity.

What shadow war zone? If you mean the lunar grotto, Bernie can’t become big there, and even if he could, you’d have to waste time activating the archives anyways.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If I was a mod creator I could probably have this mode in the game in a span of like 3-4 minutes..

I'm not sure you grasp how much effort and time goes into making mods. Not to mention just programming in general.

4 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I'm not sure you grasp how much effort and time goes into making mods. Not to mention just programming in general.

I DONT and I never claimed to be able to.. so don’t go putting words into my mouth, but surely it can’t be TOO HARD to take an already existing animation and weapon everyone already has access to- Put 6 players on a circular platform (a larger boat cookie would work honestly) and then let them attempt to smack each other over the ledge to be the last player left on the platform.

The Animation is LITERALLY already in the game and every single character (including Wanda probably) already has access to it.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This to me is the ONLY WAY you Balance PvP in DST.. without it becoming a never ending cycle of endless patches for buffs & Nerfs.

that is not how you balance pvp, you dont make a ******* water gun do the same damage as a rocket launcher, does any pvp game with multiple characters have perfect balance?  Siege? Smash Ultimate? Overwatch? No, and that is unavoidable, the problem with pvp IS AGAIN THE FACT THAT YOU CAN STUNLOCK PEOPLE INTO OBLIVION. Player stun needs to be handled differently and weapons need to be specialized like how Better Combat does it. Besides that you don't balance a non-pvp game for pvp, that stupid no matter which way you look at it

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If I was a mod creator I could probably have this mode in the game in a span of like 3-4 minutes.

If you were a mod creator you would be asking everyone for help with your errors and then give up when someone doesnt spoon feed you the code

12 hours ago, HellHeater said:

i agree 

i mean yes dst made to focus on survival but wouldnt it be fun if we had multiple "real" options before starting a new world it would keep game fresher

it doesnt even have to be a real another way of gameplay you can think this like gorge or forge 

Agreed! 
Starting a game in PVP should entirely rebalance and basically present a “similar vibe” but an overall different game, while leaving the main game unchanged.

Also I think instead of just “killing people for no reason” the PVP should have objectives, and most likely teams. Capture the flag, king of the hill or “kill the enemy team pigmen village” or something like that. Killing people just should delay them a bit and not be the main goal.

3 hours ago, TemporarySolutn said:

that is not how you balance pvp, you dont make a ******* water gun do the same damage as a rocket launcher, does any pvp game with multiple characters have perfect balance?  Siege? Smash Ultimate? Overwatch? No, and that is unavoidable, the problem with pvp IS AGAIN THE FACT THAT YOU CAN STUNLOCK PEOPLE INTO OBLIVION. Player stun needs to be handled differently and weapons need to be specialized like how Better Combat does it. Besides that you don't balance a non-pvp game for pvp, that stupid no matter which way you look at it

If you were a mod creator you would be asking everyone for help with your errors and then give up when someone doesnt spoon feed you the code

stun-locking is a core part of the game, and unless Klei removes it completely.. I don’t see them removing it strictly just for pvp, but that last bit of your sentence was slightly uncalled for, are you saying I’m dumb? I HAVE actually studied game code before in fact: You can probably thank my dad for half of what you have in sims & wwe games now- But that’s irrelevant to my point:

All you need to do is go to Pig Kings Village, give him a championship belt as literally ANY CHARACTER, he then spawns a few pig warriors out of nowhere and throws signs on the ground, these giant signs are used as Weapons for the duration of this Mini game, and WHEN you get hit by one your knocked across the map and onto your behind a short distance.

Below is a Video of this “Mini-Game” in the Spoiler: 

Spoiler

While Year of the Pig King may be OVER, this Mini-Game can still be triggered outside of the YoTP event so.. 
Literally all ANYONE needs to do is spawn this sign weapon into their world and then maybe use that “Bigger Trees” mod and apply THAT code onto a Boat platform to increase the size of it, then just place the platform into the water somewhere.. Which doesn’t have to use any sort of modding programming because it literally uses the games already designed code for placing boat platforms..

The only thing you WOULD have to change is the Size of the Boat AND make it so you can be knocked off the side of the boat when smacked onto your behind by the GIANT SIGN to close to the ledge.

Really it’s not even worthy of a MOD because it’s literally already in the game and all the programming is “Mostly” already done..

This to me.. would be the BEST WAY to Balance PVP, it would be fun… it would be short “Duel Bouts” or something to that effect, And most importantly of all- Klei doesn’t have to go out of their way to rebalance every little thing about the game from character abilities to items used, to Craftable structures etc…. just to Catter to PVP BALANCE.

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention the most important part: YOU CAN NOT STUN-LOCK people with the GIANT SIGN.. 

So the TL:DR- Player Health pools, Unique character abilities, Being able to craft ANYTHING in the battle zone disabled, Only weapon is GIANT SIGN or a Reskin of what the giant sign does, throw the players on a platform with the only objective being be the last player NOT Knocked off the platform.

Its funny that you guys discredit this form of PVP so much when literally 99% of the code to do it is ALREADY DONE AND IN THE GAME just go give Pig King a Championship belt & all of the above happens.

AND YES I DO COUNT THAT AS PVP- In fact there’s an ENTIRE GAME made just like it called MAROONERS which was given away as one of the free games with Xbox gold several months ago..

And Before Marooners was ever a thing there were games like Mario Party Mini-Games that did it Decades ago..

IT is still very much on topic with this thread because it is STILL very much PVP and more importantly it’s BALANCED PVP So cut me some slack please? I’ve had a bad month & don’t really need forum people trying to tell me how dumb, wrong, or highly off-topic I am. :( 

Thank You & I hope you all have a great Day :wilson_love:

*sigh* though I appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions I suppose I’m one of the few who believes a survival game of this depth could be a great benefit to a pvp scenario but I guess everyone would prefer a pvp setting involving a small island with very little weapon diversity where everyone has the same attacks same health and require little to no strategy or skill and the game ends within a few minutes. I don’t want klei to focus on pvp I was just suggesting a small quality of life change that would easily balance and make pvp a little more fun then it already is.

The idea of “balanced” pvp is the reason why gaming will never truly compete as a true sporting event, u think they measure all the players on a basketball team to make sure that one team isn’t taller then another? Or make sure that everyone in hockey skates one speed, or that football linebackers are all the same weight. Competitive play doesn’t mean equal playing field it means no excuses, just win

make pvp the only gamemode and instead of randomly generated maps its one map with 3 lanes and 2 jungles and there are turrets that shoot at players, speaking of there are now 2 teams with 5 players each and there are pigmen who you can kill to collect gold and gold is now used to buy items instead of crafting, also we're gonna need more characters how does programming 139 new characters in 2 weeks sound? ah **** i just turned dst into league of legends oops lol

5 hours ago, Baark0 said:

make pvp the only gamemode and instead of randomly generated maps its one map with 3 lanes and 2 jungles and there are turrets that shoot at players, speaking of there are now 2 teams with 5 players each and there are pigmen who you can kill to collect gold and gold is now used to buy items instead of crafting, also we're gonna need more characters how does programming 139 new characters in 2 weeks sound? ah **** i just turned dst into league of legends oops lol

Lmao I love it, kind of what I’m saying though, why can’t dst be its own thing with pvp, doesn’t have to be ground breaking it’s just a fun little addition to an already amazing game, doesn’t need to be a washed down or direct copy of the 100 different MOBAs or the 100 different battle royale games that refuse to admit they r just the same game

Archived