The recent changes to sailing make the malbatross sail dangerous

I used to really like and feel safe using the malbatross sail, enjoying that immediately immediately after I "close" it (pardon me for my failure to remember the correct term) the boat slowed down impressively, giving me time to lower my anchor and avoid the rocks that were in my way. This was quite essential to me, because in the rough and hazardous ocean biomes the anchor takes a while to touch the ground and stop the boat, and usually that time wasn't enough to prevent my boat from colliding at full speed with the aforementioned rocks and forcing me to repair it.

Now, with the new changes, the boat does not decrease its speed soon enough for it to be useful to me, and I keep crashing and crashing and crashing on sea objects. I'm so furstrated that I've started sailing with my anchor permanently down, at a miserable speed that makes the sailing experience as miserable as the Malbatross sail is useless.

I've seen in a video explaining (and showing) that driftwood oars became very fast (at the same time still looking safe), but I don't want to go around paddling my way around the sea, completely ignoring an item that used to be superior (a sail, even the standard sail, used to be better than oars), and relegating malbatross feathers, which are damn hard to obtain, to junk that i'll feed to lure plants (the malbatross quill float works just as efficiently as the dawn quill float, but requires more effort, and by the time I seek a malbatross for its feathers I usually already have enough dawn quill floats not to need any more for the rest of my game).

My suggestion is to bring back the slowing times of boats to how they were before, or in alternative to change the manoeuvrability of the malbatross sail and make it swifter at evading obstacles.

Great to see I am not the only one. We need a break mechanic.

Sailing never stressed me this much before.

Yesterday, I and a servermate were getting some cookiecutters for Pearl. If I did not bring that single 38% oar, we were dead for sure (We didn't have any boat patches because of trusty tapes, and we had a short ride). 

We need something like a "m2 button to stop the boat with your oar."

Remember, before the update people complained about how boats are so slow and the only solution is Malbatross Sail, but less than 2 is not enough and more than 2 is way too fast. Klei only solved the "less than 2 is not enough".

Anchor makes it only more annoying. It is not fair that I have to anchor down every 2 seconds everytime I use a good oar.

I only partly agree with you: I dislike the fact that oars now seem to be better than sails when, realistically speaking, it makes no sense. They now seem to be faster at sailing, and good for stopping a boat (as far as I understand, you just have to row in the opposite direction to the one you're going towards), whereas sails remained the same for the exception of the fact that stopping a boat when you're in deep water is harder.

My main problem is manoeuvrability: when you're sailing with a sail, to stop turning you first need to right click on the steering wheel, and only then you can move, go to the sail/anchor, handle that, and then to the anchor/sail, and handle that too, and only then you can actually stop. It's a very complex process. It could be argued that, for realistic purposes, since galleons are not handled by one single man, it makes sense that using a boat with sails is more complex and longer if there is only one person at sea, whereas with oars, which are handled by only one person, work well even with one single person. However, boats with oars need many people to each handle one oar to have a meaningful speed. Since the speed increase was granted not to multiple people wielding oars in a summative way, but to the oar itself, it makes the sail a laughable item. To be fair, I thought the regular sail was a laughable item, but I loved the malbatross sail because it was very easy to use. Now, it became just as bad as the other sail.

Improving the speed of sails too would be a bad idea in my opinion, because if one is sailing, like I am, to find fish and look for bottles and treasures, or simply explore the map, one is bound to find many rocks, and high speed and low manoeuvrability is what brought me to frustratingly write this post in the first place: I ended up keeping the sail on with the anchor lowered, forced only to very low speed because with the difference in how boat speed is handled, I ended up using boat patch after boat patch. I ended up pondering the idea of adding something like 4-5 malbatross sails and keeping the anchor always down, if it helps my speed and allows me to stop when I need to, but that is a laughable solution, to be honest.

29 minutes ago, douan33 said:

Remember, before the update people complained about how boats are so slow and the only solution is Malbatross Sail, but less than 2 is not enough and more than 2 is way too fast. Klei only solved the "less than 2 is not enough".

I should probably have made myself heard back then, since I didn't dislike the old sailing system (what I disliked was merely the emptiness and blandness of the ocean) and now I would love to go back to it, if only there were a mod for that. 

19 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Sorry, I cannot hear you over my 4 Winged Sails zipping through Sea Stacks with the grace and elegance of the glorious Malbatross.

I dread to sail on such a powerhouse of a ship on my sea full of rocks XD Not with my anchor up as yours seems to be

This is why the anchor should stop a boat completely, that's the whole point of an anchor. Now, not only do you have to time when the anchor will slow down the boat, you also have to give yourself enough time to close the sails. 

Then I think the anchor should take less time to actually take effect. As it is now it takes way too long. 

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

I would love a immediate stop with the anchor. Frustrating trying to find something with my pully only to swim right past it as I get the anchor going. :wilson_facepalm:

i like the feeling of needing to check in which waters we are sailing to know if the anchor will stop the boat quick or it will take for long if is deep water

is inmersive

what i really hate is for how long takes to be raised

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

what i really hate is for how long takes to be raised

I wish some followers could help you raise it, currently the only thing that can help you raise the anchor is well, other players.

If some mobs like pigmen, merms, etc could help you raise the anchor when you raise it, I think that would be very nice.

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

I would love a immediate stop with the anchor. Frustrating trying to find something with my pully only to swim right past it as I get the anchor going. :wilson_facepalm:

i dont see why there should be an immediate stop. If you have your anchor down all the time, raise it and cancel before it goes up you can basically immediately stop the boat

21 hours ago, Bugsworth said:

i dont see why there should be an immediate stop. If you have your anchor down all the time, raise it and cancel before it goes up you can basically immediately stop the boat

The anchor doesn't completely stop boats though? With powerful sails the anchor only slows it down.

59 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

The anchor doesn't completely stop boats though? With powerful sails the anchor only slows it down.

ah, you mean you think the anchor should stop the boat even if the sails are up. nah, it doesn't do that.

Archived