Spider tips and tricks

This is for people that want to kill everything with spiders but dont know how or they just think webber is bad because WeNdY.

( Also this is not a debate of why webber is better and wendy is bad or the other way around. It's just for spiders being cool and murdering bosses so dont try to start anything about inefficiency unless you have a more effective spider related method.)

Quick things to mention before hand the whistle is a very integrated part of this and is how you get most of the food from bosses.

Alright so my first point is deerclops. I believe I talked about this somewhere else but I'll just put it here. Deerclops is killed very easily but hey it's even easier with spiders. 4 nurses and 5 warriors right next to some fires do the job super well. You can help with the free healing from nurses but not needed. Make sure to whistle right after to collect all the food.

Spoiler

1073311626_Screenshot(167).thumb.png.22f7578904f7c6a172dca347c3b20541.png1862022901_Screenshot(166).thumb.png.18048be2dcba710a7ba06627e58110ba.png1269900297_Screenshot(165).thumb.png.4b691bf4019f27463c2a59c0e1a92f4f.png

Alright so this next one is for people that dont wanna cheese ancient guardian but cant kite or tank it. I like to call it the depth dweller surprise. I think you know what's gunna happen. As webber go into the maze and lure out and tame as many depth dwellers as possible. It can work with just depth dwellers but is better with nurses. For this example I'll use 10 dwellers and 5 nurses even though you should use as many as you can.

Spoiler

389109207_Screenshot(176).thumb.png.7725fcdc1b8d24acb39a3015a8008130.png710725611_Screenshot(177).thumb.png.2aec2bccdf9086a6b4304abd11a3bba4.png925864727_Screenshot(178).thumb.png.de39d0ae93b40d10d63d8d2eba1fc67a.png

The last one is dfly and there are 2 ways to do this. You and nurses or tons of spiders and nurses. I did warriors and nurses because it's the cooler one. I'll be using 20 warriors and 5 nurses but 20 warriors isnt neccessary I just dont wanna wait a year for dragonfly to die to 5 nurses and warriors. The boomerang is to agro them before dfly gets to you.( The spiders and dfly killed eachother at the exact same time. Spiders lunged and dfly did triple slam so I couldn't get the right before deathscreenshot. )

Spoiler

1292283814_Screenshot(193).thumb.png.afcedf68fa21569c2aba73bf842ae02a.png2017269087_Screenshot(196).thumb.png.fbdc38421da7840654c3a69cc44d6b83.png

I have more of these spiders killing bosses although I like to do it in survival before showing it in creative so it may be a bit. So feel free to show any spider solutions to your not so spider filled problems.

I never think Webber is bad, but Wendy is just better Webber. What Webber can do with spider army is character specific, but what Wendy can do may applied to any other character as well, Wendy is just doing it easier.

for the time they invest to grind resource, Webber and Wendy both need to grind likely equally.(e.g. Webber need to grind spider army type for certain bosses; Wendy need armor, weapon and food as other character need)

However Wendy benefit team more efficiently. She takes advantages of team while Webber is still a lone wolf. The solution is either nerf Wendy or buff Webber, neither which one, there is always complaints, the only difference is that less complaints will be made for buffing for Webber. You can tell why Abigail is so strong and game changing but almost everyone is happy with her.

these QOLs for Webber to get better control on his army is what he deserved for so many years. Probably just me, I feel Klei is not going to put more works on Webber and he might not get rework anymore. ( Welcome to prove me wrong for this point, since I quit playing Webber for many years, I would love to have a reason to play Webber again other than dumping 10 hostile spiders in random stranger base and mock them. )

1 hour ago, gghhrr said:

Snip snap

Imagine doing the exact opposite of what I requested that you not do ;_; . This was about spiders being cool and taken down bosses and other enemies not so easily taken down.

Not about nerfing or buffing anyone. Because as it stands webber is a great character that got a good change and I wanna show people how cool it is to have a webber around. Which is why I respectfully ask you to not do that and have a good day sir.

5 hours ago, gghhrr said:

I never think Webber is bad, but Wendy is just better Webber. What Webber can do with spider army is character specific, but what Wendy can do may applied to any other character as well, Wendy is just doing it easier.

for the time they invest to grind resource, Webber and Wendy both need to grind likely equally.(e.g. Webber need to grind spider army type for certain bosses; Wendy need armor, weapon and food as other character need)

However Wendy benefit team more efficiently. She takes advantages of team while Webber is still a lone wolf. The solution is either nerf Wendy or buff Webber, neither which one, there is always complaints, the only difference is that less complaints will be made for buffing for Webber. You can tell why Abigail is so strong and game changing but almost everyone is happy with her.

these QOLs for Webber to get better control on his army is what he deserved for so many years. Probably just me, I feel Klei is not going to put more works on Webber and he might not get rework anymore. ( Welcome to prove me wrong for this point, since I quit playing Webber for many years, I would love to have a reason to play Webber again other than dumping 10 hostile spiders in a strangers base

Bro, stop being an ass thats not what this thread is about

no one is disputing that wendy can beat up webber in a fight, or that she has better team play. Stop being that guy, dont come here and **** on what other people like.

i like webber better than wendy because theres prep, otherwise it doesnt feel earned to have something fighting for me. Plus swarm tactics are always fun. I know wendy could beat bee queen easily but its more fun to wage a literal war against her stingyness.

wolfgang can beat most bosses faster than wendy and with even less prep, so dont come bother us webber players talking about “wendy is just better webber” because its not a competition. Most people arent on pubs. Most people probably play alone more often than not if i’m being totally real, because who realistically has a group of 2-3 people who are online at the same time as you and always wants to play the same thing.

4 hours ago, CaRat said:

Imagine doing the exact opposite of what I requested that you not do ;_; . This was about spiders being cool and taken down bosses and other enemies not so easily taken down.

Not about nerfing or buffing anyone. Because as it stands webber is a great character that got a good change and I wanna show people how cool it is to have a webber around. Which is why I respectfully ask you to not do that and have a good day sir.

I think one really fun tactic to do as webber is leave 20 nurses near where dragonfly spawns and kill her without armor or healing. You can take two hits without needing healing, then you back off and let the spiders take the aggro until the nurses heal you back to full and go back into the fight.

6 hours ago, gghhrr said:

The solution is either nerf Wendy or buff Webber, neither which one, there is always complaints, the only difference is that less complaints will be made for buffing for Webber. You can tell why Abigail is so strong and game changing but almost everyone is happy with her.

Stop treating DST as a competitive game smh, most of the time what truly makes you survive is your skill level, if you can only survive with an """"OP"""" character just git gud and stop complaining.

Just a suggestion for OP, because it is very easy and a no-brainer technique for doing AFw as Webber: 4 Spider Eggs, and some Warrior Spiders (if using Switcherdoodle on Normal Spiders from said deployed Eggs) or plain piling-up Atrium Depth Dwellers while trailing the labyrinth for central arena. Nurses aren't needed. Only a Boomerang/Ice Staff and Lazy Explorer. No armor or-the-like for actual "fight". I think you can catch my.. "cheesy drift".

14 hours ago, gghhrr said:

these QOLs for Webber to get better control on his army is what he deserved for so many years. Probably just me, I feel Klei is not going to put more works on Webber and he might not get rework anymore. ( Welcome to prove me wrong for this point, since I quit playing Webber for many years, I would love to have a reason to play Webber again other than dumping 10 hostile spiders in random stranger base and mock them. )

I am curious since the refresh what about wendy specifically outclasses webber so much that she's just considered better webber?

I have discovered a way to obtain mass frog legs for all your spider fighter related needs. Because if your building a army you can't make them fight other spiders because they kinda just make a net loss. solution is to find the frog pond set piece and have 1 or 2 nurses and just let them have at the frogs and hold space and each day will net ya around 40 legs of the frog variety. this works well for a frog rain too. like really well for frog rains. I got around 80-90 frog legs from one rain and never got hit once. this is how I got the meat to kill ancient guardian in my survival world so if ya need meat for that just do this. I recommend a good chunk of spiders that cant be stunned and some cave spiders if you don't have a lot of spiders on hand and wanna help.

Spoiler

1123991016_Screenshot(198).thumb.png.490bd52c8f8beb9867c69da3c703a7d1.png

this just so happens to be my survival world actually so yeah.

39 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

While it'll still cost you meat to re befriend them a solution I find is to make friendly den in a pen and to drop off your army when your doing wars

I thought they changed it so you didnt need to re befriend them?

1 minute ago, sudoku said:

I thought they changed it so you didnt need to re befriend them?

If you use the shoo box it'll end your connection the idea is to place your battle army in a safe spot while you let the weaker spiders war for resources. Otherwise yes the bond is endless.

59 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

If you use the shoo box it'll end your connection the idea is to place your battle army in a safe spot while you let the weaker spiders war for resources. Otherwise yes the bond is endless.

I think they also lose their loyalty when you disconnect from the server/world

You can get nurses in the very first days of gameplay (I got to make it by day 10 on a server alone, you can probably do it faster)

There are several ways to tackle this but I think the simpler and most consistent way, without relying on other players, luck of getting a specific setpiece/amulet, and with a minimum cost, is the following:

Spoiler

1. Minimum, when in a hurry: Gather 10 silk, and keep your spawning spider egg.
    Recommended: get another egg and 20 silk instead. (remember that you can upgrade dens to T3 and break them, to get more eggs. Never craft them from the recipe)
    OPTIONAL: Pre-craft a lightning rod. You can do this with 3 rocks, some gold and a science machine.
  2. Find a touchstone, plant your den (or dens) nearby and upgrade it/them to tier 3, place your lightning rod near the touchstone if you made one.
  3. Die. Yup, just become a ghost, you can be creative on this one. Drop your items on a safe place though so you can recover them later, away from the touchstone if you didn't make a lightning rod. 
  4. Once you die, immediately start haunting both tier 3 dens. Here is the thing, if you got two, you will be able to haunt one and the other non stop, if its just one, you will have to wait a bit between hauntings. Haunting a den has 10% chances to spawn a queen, so you will get at least one queen sooner or later. Bonus points if you get 2.
  5. Revive using the touchstone, grab your stuff, and hit the queen or queens a couple of times, just enough to piss them off. You don't have to actually go all the way to fight them. Just stay around at enough distance so spiders don't bother you but the queen is still pissed off at you.
  6. Profit: The queen will start popping nurses, once you feel there's enough for you, move away so the spider queens forgive you, then get close and befriend the nurses or catch them or however you want to handle it.

A few notes:

• If someone is willing to revive you through telltaleheart, its way faster. You will have to make a  booster shot later though, but you trade that, for having nurses as soon as you find some silk and a gland, which can happen on day 1 or 2.
  • If you dig a red amulet by pure luck from a grave, you can also do the haunting as soon as you can make a couple of T3 dens somewhere.
  • On "endless" worlds you can do the T3 den haunting at spawn portal and just revive there. You can probably do it within the first 3 days. On Wilderness servers you can't do this in any way.

5 minutes ago, blacknight7890 said:

Can confirm and actually reported as a bug cuz it feels like you cannot go to the bathroom and close the game without loosing your army. 

I hope this is just an oversight 

so I just killed bee queen in my survival world and it would be kind of hard to replicate in a creative one. as some of yall already know bee queen was killable before the update but now its a game of agro. before you couldn't really keep the spiders to fight bee queen so you had to hide and wait it out. but now you can get many allies over the course of a few days and nurse spiders to keep them alive, and then its just a numbers game so get as many spiders (preferably the ones with more hp) and watch them work. you will need a boomerang to keep the spiders on her and not her minions. if you stay close her and her minions would never attack the spiders and stay on you.(something to do with her agro) anyway enjoy this cool image of me being cool.

Spoiler

847643240_Screenshot(204).thumb.png.6b3abf43283ce47a9842f36e81f04f1a.png

Ancient guardian doesn't require nurses, which is good for ruins rushes. Instead, get a bunch of cave spiders, spitters, and dwellers, and just face tank the guardian.

Spoiler

Crowns aren't needed, but I'd still help kill him, as 10k hp is a lot to get through.

1 hour ago, Baark0 said:

Ancient guardian doesn't require nurses, which is good for ruins rushes. Instead, get a bunch of cave spiders, spitters, and dwellers, and just face tank the guardian.

Reveal hidden contents

Crowns aren't needed, but I'd still help kill him, as 10k hp is a lot to get through.

Yeah the nurses is mostly cus I wanna show the minimum number of spiders. Dont wanna tell people oh yeah get 3000 spiders and you can kill bearger

2 hours ago, blacknight7890 said:

I knew about this one just doesn't seem practical to disconnect everytime want to start a war but it does save materials so there's that.

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Can confirm and actually reported as a bug cuz it feels like you cannot go to the bathroom and close the game without loosing your army. 

This is how is how all followers work this isn't a bug the moment you leave the server the bond is over I will say it is abit painful for webber considering how permanent his followers are.

alright so had a idea related to what mysterious box said 

5 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

While it'll still cost you meat to re befriend them a solution I find is to make friendly den in a pen and to drop off your army when your doing wars

I thought about making a decorated den inside a cage and just feeding the spiders that come out a specific snickerdoodle. turns out it works pretty well because new spiders spawn in when it a spider is swapped for a different type. I tried it with spitters and now I have dps same can be done with pretty much all the spiders depended one what ya need. its pretty useful to stack up on different spiders ya need

Spoiler

911991535_Screenshot(208).thumb.png.460d8f6dcd032107dd18d649c2bea224.png

planning on moving the nurses later.

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Most likely not, because imagine this. You are playing with other people and decide to leave the game for whatever reason while they keep playing, what are your followers suppose to do then? Are they suppose to just stop entirely until thier master comes back? What if you never come back? Do they just sit there until the end of time, til they're nothing but a coat on a brittle rack of bones? Do they endlessly await the implosion and erosion of not only our world, but all others as they cling on to the now non-existant hope as they are brutally torn asunder, iota to iota, by the ravengers of those who lived to tell the tale?

While it is annoying to have to recruit all of the spiders each time you dc, I also think that this is a problem that arises from the very concept of being server based and having multiple players that play at different times. They can't allow them to wait for the possibility that the player never rejoins and thus they do just wait for eternity, potentionally making sure said spawners are then deprived of thier spawnables. This happens anyway, but that's an issue with how deloading works which is an entirely different system.

So, in short, I understand the frustrations, but it is sort of an inevitable problem if we would be working with followers who are directly linked with the character themselves (i.e. Maxwell's Shadows). We also can't  have for spiders as they need to be something else for the game out side of followers.

12 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Most likely not, because imagine this. You are playing with other people and decide to leave the game for whatever reason while they keep playing, what are your followers suppose to do then? Are they suppose to just stop entirely until thier master comes back? What if you never come back? Do they just sit there until the end of time, til they're nothing but a coat on a brittle rack of bones? Do they endlessly await the implosion and erosion of not only our world, but all others as they cling on to the now non-existant hope as they are brutally torn asunder, iota to iota, by the ravengers of those who lived to tell the tale?

While it is annoying to have to recruit all of the spiders each time you dc, I also think that this is a problem that arises from the very concept of being server based and having multiple players that play at different times. They can't allow them to wait for the possibility that the player never rejoins and thus they do just wait for eternity, potentionally making sure said spawners are then deprived of thier spawnables. This happens anyway, but that's an issue with how deloading works which is an entirely different system.

So, in short, I understand the frustrations, but it is sort of an inevitable problem if we would be working with followers who are directly linked with the character themselves (i.e. Maxwell's Shadows). We also can't  have for spiders as they need to be something else for the game out side of followers.

They could have your followers despawn with you when you disconnect and respawn when you connect again. They already do that for Abigail.

Also, inevitable or not, it's kinda hard to be sold on this refresh when it's primary selling point (permanent loyalty) doesn't actually work half the time. Losing followers on disconnect/shard switch doesn't really matter with other followers, cause other followers are temporary by nature and players only hire them to do some one-off job and don't care what happens beyond that.

But having to spend more food to recruit spiders under the false promise that they'll follow you forever kind of sucks the fun out of it for me.

11 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

They already do that for Abigail.

Now I'm not saying that's a bad example because shes connected to wendy forever. But I think a better example would be a beefolo that has been named. They despawn with ya so why not spiders too. Especially going up and down in the caves. It's quite annoying I have to make 2 Colony's of spiders.

33 minutes ago, CaRat said:

Now I'm not saying that's a bad example because shes connected to wendy forever. But I think a better example would be a beefolo that has been named. They despawn with ya so why not spiders too. Especially going up and down in the caves. It's quite annoying I have to make 2 Colony's of spiders.

Yeah, I didn't bring up the beefalo cause they are tied to the bell, not the player. Whereas Abigail is tied to Wendy herself, not the flower.

Fair also found a lil bug with deerclops and spiders. If you use a pan near deerclops and spiders and he is in the process of being hit but just been put to sleep. He is perm asleep and cannot be woken up by attacking. I think anyway not sure what else could cause it. ( I also dont know how to report bugs so I am banking on one of yall doing it )

Archived