"Klei Fest" Introduction and News

6 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Also I'm guessing the only thing summer-related about this event is that it takes place during June.

"Midsummer Carnivals" are a thing in real life, which this event is very very likely based on, where the only thing summer-related about them is that they take place during June.

1 hour ago, thegreatJash said:

The eggs remind of Easter. Maybe the event will be sort of a mix of Easter and Summer kind of like how Winter's Feast seems like a mix of Christmas and Thanksgiving. At least to me.

I was truly hoping for something that rather resembled slavic midsommar traditions than easter but oh well. It would fit the theme of the game really well, too. Flower crown skins, searching to find the magic fern blossom at midnight, big bonfires, fortune telling...Ahhh. To mix american easter and midsummer almost feels blasphemous :wilson_ecstatic: 

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 2
  • Sad Dupe 2

33 minutes ago, 9screamingkittens said:

I was truly hoping for something that rather resembled slavic midsommar traditions than easter but oh well. It would fit the theme of the game really well, too. Flower crown skins, searching to find the magic fern blossom at midnight, big bonfires, fortune telling...Ahhh. To mix american easter and midsummer almost feels blasphemous :wilson_ecstatic: 

Yeaaa, I don't really see the connection between midsommar and eggs either. Something slavic would be really cool... need more pagan fun.

• Like 3

Nice to see a new event. I'm unsure as to why Restobtw is on the list of streamers though because he is a known DST griefer and harbors an extremely toxic and offensive Twitch community...which he has received a ban for in the past.

• Sad Dupe 2

53 minutes ago, 9screamingkittens said:

.Ahhh. To mix american easter and midsummer almost feels blasphemous :wilson_ecstatic: 

17 minutes ago, Selenne said:

Yeaaa, I don't really see the connection between midsommar and eggs either.

It's eggs because... birds. From the promo image it doesn't look at all similar to easter to me. Easter has bright pastel eggs that you hide around and have kids hunt for, not to mention all the bunny stuff. While this looks like a collection of egg-themed carnival games, which each seem really distinct from one another, hosted by crows. The only similarity we can see at the moment is that they both have decorated eggs, which is pretty surface level.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

It's eggs because... birds. From the promo image it doesn't look at all similar to easter to me. Easter has bright pastel eggs that you hide around and have kids hunt for, not to mention all the bunny stuff. While this looks like a collection of egg-themed carnival games, which each seem really distinct from one another, hosted by crows. The only similarity we can see at the moment is that they both have decorated eggs, which is pretty surface level.

sweet sweet denial :p

2 minutes ago, 9screamingkittens said:

sweet sweet denial :p

ehh nah hes got a point its literally called cawnival and has carnival looking attractions which are being held by birds so yeah don't see easter 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

ehh nah hes got a point its literally called cawnival and has carnival looking attractions which are being held by birds so yeah don't see easter 

literally not even the point i was making but ok! i was replying to someone who remarked it looks like easter. and to be honest i agree.

Edited by 9screamingkittens
  • Like 1

This Cawnival sounds "eggscellent"!

Very happy for the new drop incorporating more mythological-sea creatures! Sure the community will love it.

Thanks again Klei and Twitch for keeping the drops culture alive for us!

Let's play.

• Haha 2
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 1

On 5/29/2021 at 8:19 PM, 9screamingkittens said:

And as one of those "Slavs" - Southern (for instance here it's called Ivanjdan  and based on folklore and eastern orthodox church ), I have issue understanding what traditions have anything to do with  ethnicity, when it's all influenced by one way or another, based on folklore, mythology or modern religion - and that again varies to lesser or higher degree. 

Plus Midsommar as you put it (I am unfamiliar with that, perhaps a typo?), is not something one or another ethnicity does, it's world wide spread cultural events, influenced by things I mentioned above. 

So, I personally hope they draw inspiration from various fests and pick the most intriguing things that would thematically fit into DST, rather than stick to just one or another

Edited by Stefy_92
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stefy_92 said:

So, I personally hope they draw inspiration from various fests and pick the most intriguing things that would thematically fit into DST, rather than stick to just one or another

I'd highly recommend Klei look up Dr Caligari, Metropolis, and Alejandro Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain for more on cue infleunces of mysticism and German expressionism. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 1:08 AM, JoeW said:

Klei Fest is Coming Next Week!

Once a year around this time we have a Klei Publisher sale. Going forward we are also going to focus on making this time a sort of Celebration of Klei Games. During this two week period we will have a burst of content, items, events, sales and interesting things happening. 

As an introduction things will be a little less formal this year as we kick things off with a bit of a test run.

All Games: We will begin our Klei Publisher sale next week on June 3rd. 

Hot Lava: June 3rd, Players will Race against Lord Sludge in a special course - secure yourself a win an get a special reward. This challenge and reward are only available during Klei Fest! 

Hlpodium.png

Griftlands: Griftlands full campaign officially launches as we leave Early Access June 1st on PC and June 4th on PS4, Xbox and Switch.

glsmithcover.png

Don't Starve Together: We will be celebrating Klei Fest with a new Yearly Limited time event called "Midsummer Cawnival!". Our survivors will be greeted by the enigmatic Corvus Goodfeather, who needs a bit of help preparing the festivities for his crow compatriots. Decorate, try your luck at the Cawnival games, and maybe even win some prizes! 

loading_carnival_finalsize.png

New Twitch Drop Campaign: We will begin a new twitch Drop Campaign for the Leviathan Chest starting June 3rd. Streamers that will have drops available can be found in the spoiler below. Note that this will be the last campaign of this type, further campaigns will be done through our advocates program. See below. 

dragonflychest_kraken_trio.png

Wonderful news!! It's hard to contain the excitement, both for Don't Starve Together and Griftlands! :DD

The only bummer pertains Hot Lava; I still haven't played the game, since no GNU/Linux port is available yet and now you announce that there will be a time-limited event with exclusive rewards. This is bad practice, and I am happy that you have made all your previous games available for all major platforms before any event-limited rewards took place, so that everybody had a chance to get them. Other than that..

Two more days to go! Thank you in advance, Klei! <3

23 hours ago, Stefy_92 said:

And as one of those "Slavs" - Southern (for instance here it's called Ivanjdan  and based on folklore and eastern orthodox church ), I have issue understanding what traditions have anything to do with  ethnicity, when it's all influenced by one way or another, based on folklore, mythology or modern religion - and that again varies to lesser or higher degree. 

Plus Midsommar as you put it (I am unfamiliar with that, perhaps a typo?), is not something one or another ethnicity does, it's world wide spread cultural events, influenced by things I mentioned above. 

I was being vague because it's not that big of a deal. I was stating my personal opinion. Didn't know it'd bring on a shitstorm. And midsommar isn't a typo :p image.png.eb40bda600f55f83d88ef615ac379d5d.png Just because you're not familiar with something doesn't make me wrong. Why do I """bring ethnicity"" into this? Because if I said Baltic Region Traditions noone would know what I'm talking about, so I said slavic, which is a term that also encompasses it. I don't know why people are being so offended by my statement, lol. I'm just very into this specific holiday and would love to see it in my favourite game. By the way, since I'm guessing you're croatian, bonfires are still a big part of the way your region celebrates it. The celebration varies in different regions but it's usually all about the sun and fire, and that shows all across Europe. The more you know!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 9screamingkittens said:

he celebration varies in different regions but it's usually all about the sun and fire, and that shows all across Europe. The more you know!

Sounds a bit like a Magmatic skin collection if you ask me. 

• GL Happy 1