How much control does Wormwood have over his body?

His skins has him completely change his body. Root, pumpkin, mushroom, cactus. In case of the pumpkin he even got rid of his signature underbite.

So is it safe to say that lore-wise Wormwood can look like any humanoid and be made up of any vegetable or fungal matter? Like an Alraune?

I love wormwood mechanically, he's my favorite by far, but I really hate how he looks, but if at least in-lore he can change his appearance to something I like then I think I can overcome my reservations over him, and maybe even spend some time making a skin mod for him.

My one supporting reasoning other than the existence of the skins is that Wormwood can grow living logs at will. He can transform his arm into a living log, chop it off, and then grow a new arm. With that kind of control, I think he can look like any humanoid he wants?

2 minutes ago, someonenoone11 said:

Skins regularly make it into animations so they're definitely canon.

the only skins seen outside the game are the halloween ones, in Wurts shortcut and the Halloween comics, and the forge/gorge ones, Wormwood's havent been shown so at least his arent confirmed to be cannon as of now

The 2021 gameplay trailer and the DST trailer dont count cause well, theyre gameplay

I believe skins are "canon" in the sense that they're "What-if" situations, for example, none of the characters besides Maxwell have sat on the nightmare throne for a long time, but if they did, they'd probably look like their Triumphant skins.

28 minutes ago, someonenoone11 said:

So is it safe to say that lore-wise Wormwood can look like any humanoid and be made up of any vegetable or fungal matter? Like an Alraune?

I'd guess it just depends on what plant took his green gem in his origin, if his green gem fell into, I dunno a pumpkin patch and pumpkin roots wrapped around his gem, he'd probably look like his pumpkin skin, and so on for the other skins.

13 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I believe skins are "canon" in the sense that they're "What-if" situations, for example, none of the characters besides Maxwell have sat on the nightmare throne for a long time, but if they did, they'd probably look like their Triumphant skins.

honestly this point of view makes those unused robot webber/wendy skins seem a lot more interesting

1 minute ago, Wardin25 said:

honestly this point of view makes those unused robot webber/wendy skins seem a lot more interesting

An alternate reality where Wagstaff kidnapped people to turn them into robots...

Well, that's a terrifying thought.

29 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I'd guess it just depends on what plant took his green gem in his origin, if his green gem fell into, I dunno a pumpkin patch and pumpkin roots wrapped around his gem, he'd probably look like his pumpkin skin, and so on for the other skins.

My interpretation is that skins are just the survivors dressing up. So WX can change his metal body parts out for rock ones in that verdant skin. And then change back.

So in that sense Wormwood can change into a pumpkin and then into a cactus whenever he wants to. The fact that he can grow and chop living logs at will is one of my main reasons. If he can grow living logs at will, then that shows quite a bit of mastery over his own body. If he can transform his arm into a log and then chop it off and then grow a new arm, why cant he grow a pumpkin head?

I don't understand where you guys got noncanon and alternate universe stuff from. Did I miss something? Skins aren't just 100% pure dress up in-lore?

1 minute ago, someonenoone11 said:

I don't understand where you guys got noncanon and alternate universe stuff from. Did I miss something? Skins aren't just 100% pure dress up in-lore?

I mean, the skins were originally added to dst so as to differentiate 2 players playing the same character from one another, not because of any story reason

Also, Willow's dragonfly skins description claims that she would dress like that every day if she could, which means that they cant just choose a suit at will, ot at least not the halloween ones, supporting the its a "What if" situation or a special event one

pd: if we had a dst series, itd probably be easier to know these kind of things, looking at you netflix/hulu/amazon prime video/others

5 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

I mean, the skins were originally added to dst so as to differentiate 2 players playing the same character from one another, not because of any story reason

Also, Willow's dragonfly skins description claims that she would dress like that every day if she could, which means that they cant just choose a suit at will, ot at least not the halloween ones, supporting the its a "What if" situation or a special event one

pd: if we had a dst series, itd probably be easier to know these kind of things, looking at you netflix/hulu/amazon prime video/others

The description says that dragonfly suit is just a costume. Why couldn't she wear it 24/7? Other than the normal reasons like she doesn't have the materials or time to make the suit. I don't think it's saying what you think it's saying.

Not having a story reason agrees with my interpretation. The survivors just wear them for fun as shown in the wurt animation. There's no story to any skin. They're all just costumes. 100%. Including the triumphant (and untriumphant) ones. Shadows turn wurt into a shark but its reversable.

7 minutes ago, someonenoone11 said:

The description says that dragonfly suit is just a costume. Why couldn't she wear it 24/7? Other than the normal reasons like she doesn't have the materials or time to make the suit. I don't think it's saying what you think it's saying.

Not having a story reason agrees with my interpretation. The survivors just wear them for fun as shown in the wurt animation. There's no story to any skin. They're all just costumes. 100%. Including the triumphant (and untriumphant) ones. Shadows turn wurt into a shark but its reversable.

if that were the case wouldnt they be wearing their Winters Feasts skins in the Winters Feast shortcuts/comics? All they are wearing in these are the normal winter gear, none are using their snowfallen or caroler.

I think its just that charlie or someone else, maybe the curio collector, gives them access to special event suits for some reason

5 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

the only skins seen outside the game are the halloween ones, in Wurts shortcut and the Halloween comics, and the forge/gorge ones, Wormwood's havent been shown so at least his arent confirmed to be cannon as of now

The 2021 gameplay trailer and the DST trailer dont count cause well, theyre gameplay

Plus the Winter's Feast video where the developers were caroling and the 'beefalo song' video the developers wrote that it wasn't canon, only videos for fun, if not mistaken. What @Wardin25 writes makes most sense.

6 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

Im not sure skins are cannon

My headcanon is that Skins are canon in the sense that they are just costumes that Charlie gives the survivors, I saw a fanart of this and stuck with it.

Had this discussion over at reddit. People over there are a lot less joke cracking and more willing to engage in discussion.

Anyways it's clear to me a lot of people here haven't studied wormwood's living log animation (which is fine because why would you unless you're like me) so let me clearly describe it for those who haven't decompiled wormwood's sprite and went through his animation step by step.

1. Wormwood grows 3 NEW vines.
  2. These 3 NEW vines are bigger, longer, and thicker than Wormwood's entire arm. Each. Each vine is bigger, longer, and thicker than Wormwood's entire arm.
  3. The 3 NEW vines then shrink as they merge with Wormwood's arm and they become a living log.
  4. Wormwood chops off his arm.

So if Wormwood can grow as many tentacle limbs as he wants as many times as he wants, have enough control over them to wrap it around his arm, and if they all can merge into a different type of plant matter, why can't he do this with the rest of his body?

So my reasoning is, there isn't a reason he can't do this with the rest of his body, so this explains why his skins are transformations, and he can become a walking tree who is widdled into the shape of an alraune by Walter and his boyscout widdling skills, or something like that.

Anyone disagree? If so state your disagreement and which part of my logic/reasoning you find flawed.

43 minutes ago, someonenoone11 said:

if they all can merge into a different type of plant matter, why can't he do this with the rest of his body?

wormwood's quote for eating something with garlic powder is along the lines of "oh. bark feel thicker" which sort of implies that he's made up entirely of bark
there's a lot of vine/flowering plants that have bark outsides so this make sense
i think that wormwood only has control over a concentrated part of his body, in this case arms, purely because of the lame excuse of game balance
but if i can try to theorize a little, i think that he actually doesn't have much influence over his own growth, outside of the living logs because its the moon/gem that controls most of it

i think that it would be super cool that if wormwood got a rework (which, im not sure, i have a lingering doubt klei will rework the dlc characters but it'd be cool) klei would explore that part of him more, new exclusive weapons and armor (other then the husk) and maybe even transformations (though wormwood already has bloom)

A majority of character related stuff is left up to interpretation, which is half the magic of the Don't Starve characters. For me, I've always been of the viewpoint that the simple costume swaps, like the Snowfallen or Halloween sets, are just the survivors dressing up for the appropriate season out of fun, and that some skins like the Triumphant or Survivor sets are glimpses of hypotheticals where the characters let the throne's powers consume them or where the characters were inexperienced at survival, respectively. 

At the end of the day there isn't much to concretely determine if some skins are 100% canon as the only animated short we've seen them in has been Wurt's in which, yeah, they're just in Halloween costumes, which is simple enough. If you headcanon that Wormwood can change his appearance at will, then that's absolutely fine and your headcanon is no less valid than anybody else's. That's the magic of headcanons, baybeee!

2 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

wrong thread bucko

Wh... What? OP's talking about whether or not Wormwood has complete control over his body, and I said that that's a perfectly fine headcanon to have. It relates to the "canonicity" of skins which is what I was talking about, as well. 

I think wormwood is a walking flower pot, soil form his meat and worms form his bone. The plant matter you see on the surface is just parasitic stuff from wormwood's perspective. Which is why from time to time he get rid of them but they keep growing back.

2 hours ago, someonenoone11 said:

Had this discussion over at reddit. People over there are a lot less joke cracking and more willing to engage in discussion.

What are you talking about? On the Klei forums you got three people saying skins aren't canon & one person talking about his headcanon. On Reddit you got two people saying skins aren't canon and one person saying "Goldfish wurt noises intensifies". 

19 hours ago, someonenoone11 said:

-snip-

A tree doesn't have leaves, branches, or roots growing from everywhere. Wormwood has vines that grows from vines starter, just like if you cut a leaf on a plant, it will grow a new one or two at the same location, that's why he can't do that everywhere, only his arms are vines (and living log isn't a different plant matter, I think it's just something like how logs of an evergreen and a birchnut tree are the same despite having different wood type, Wormwood, a treeguard, a poison birchnut or a totally normal tree all don't look like the same "species", they're just magic wood.) Plus, as we can see, even magic plants have limitations, like, poison birchnut trees not be able to grow roots to walk and can just make some kind of "tentacles", why Wormwood wouldn't have any limitations ?

I mean, that what I think, if you don't agree, it's okay, you're the master of you, your opinion is as valid as mine.

2 hours ago, Rafi. said:

A tree doesn't have leaves, branches, or roots growing from everywhere. Wormwood has vines that grows from vines starter, just like if you cut a leaf on a plant, it will grow a new one or two at the same location, that's why he can't do that everywhere, only his arms are vines (and living log isn't a different plant matter, I think it's just something like how logs of an evergreen and a birchnut tree are the same despite having different wood type, Wormwood, a treeguard, a poison birchnut or a totally normal tree all don't look like the same "species", they're just magic wood.) Plus, as we can see, even magic plants have limitations, like, poison birchnut trees not be able to grow roots to walk and can just make some kind of "tentacles", why Wormwood wouldn't have any limitations ?

I mean, that what I think, if you don't agree, it's okay, you're the master of you, your opinion is as valid as mine.

Except wormwood's entire body is just vines twisted together.

His torso is several vines twisted together

His head is a cut off thick vine

His arms and legs are thin vines

His fingers and feet are leaves.

21 hours ago, someonenoone11 said:

-snap-

Same goes for vines, they don't have leaves and flowers everywhere, he might just have vine starter at the start of his arms (if we need to talk about the living log animation). And yeah I said only his arms are made of vines, I'm sorry, yeah, he's made of vines, the end of the vines might just be, his head, his hands, and his legs, that would explain the blooming look actually. So yeah, what I said but with vines.

Archived