Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Overlorts

"Solo" mode for DST

Concept of Don't Starve Together is "Multiplayer version of Don't Starve with some extra feathures" and it is nicely balanced for party of 3 or more people. But a lot of people play DST alone because, for example their friends do not play Don't Starve, but that people want to play with DST exclusive content. But in that case there is a problem, that some bosses are to hard to be deafeated by averege player playing alone. For example: dearclops has 4000 hp (insted 2000hp in DS) and it is OK to kill him alone, but bee qween has 22500 hp, and it constantly summons bees. I have no idea how to kill it, without team with minimum 3 players or some weird ice flingomatic + star caller's staff tactics. How can we solve the problem?

1) My first idea is to add "solo mode" in DST.  You can activate it, when you create the world. If it is activated, boses will have lees heals, and will not have some features, which are desined to be dealed with by a few players. For example:

Bee qween: 7000 or 6000 hp, her summons are not so powerfull and there is not so many of them.

Klaus: 4000 or 5000 hp (instead 10000hp) in first phase and 1500 or 2500 hp (instesd 5000hp) in second phase. 

Toadstool: 10000 or 15000hp (instead 52000hp), spawns not so much mushroom trees!

And yes, i know there are mods, which add, that what, i described, but most of them are disbalanced and offishial content is always more reliable.

Also I am sure it's not so hard to do, so if enough people will support this idea Klei will do it.

2) Second idea: port DST content to DS (possibly as a DLS). Including all changes i menshioned before, porting bosses to DS also means their compleat recoding, what means, it is possible to make fighing them alone even more conveneant. And also just imagen possability to fight celestial champion and bild your own pig city in the same walkthrough! But some of you may have a qwesthion: "A new reign" and "Return of them" are about Charly's reign, how can it be in DS, if DS is about Maxwell's reign? Well we can give player choose if he want's to play classic DS or RoG or RoT, and classic DS and RoG will be left without any changes and RoT will have actually "Return of them" and  "A new reigin" content, and chronologicaly will take place after classic DS and RoG.

Of course i understand, how much work developers need to do, to port all that to solo DS, but i hope i will once happen.

41 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Bosses are balanced for 1 player too since you dont share the loot

Having bosses with great game changing loot like beequeen or klaus with that low hp just breaks the game

Possibly, but some of bosses are too hard compeared to useability of loot (like toadstool). And what should players who play as non-combat characters do, if thay play alone? Bild thousends of pig houses or ice flingomatic traps? - I don't want to do that, but i have no idea, how to kill beeqween or toadstool in any other way alone, while playing as Wilson for example.  Also Maxwell is my favorite character in DS, but in DST it is realy impossible to play as Maxwell alone, if you are going to fight with bosses from "A new reign".

29 minutes ago, Overlorts said:

Possibly, but some of bosses are too hard compeared to useability of loot (like toadstool). And what should players who play as non-combat characters do, if thay play alone? Bild thousends of pig houses or ice flingomatic traps? - I don't want to do that, but i have no idea, how to kill beeqween or toadstool in any other way alone, while playing as Wilson for example.  Also Maxwell is my favorite character in DS, but in DST it is realy impossible to play as Maxwell alone, if you are going to fight with bosses from "A new reign".

You dont need to use combat characters like wendy, warly, wolf or wigfrid to beat them but i recommend practise as them to lose the fear of fighting them

When i wasnt able to defeat bosses i picked wolfgang and repeated the foghts until i got bored of that world. With him you need less resources so you can repeat the fight often to learn the basics

Later i played as woodie to beat them with a default damage character and the truth is that, because i learned, i beat them with less resources than being a noob wolfg.

Is totally doable and makes the game fresh even after many hours because your playstyle changes with your experience

For example, i used many time ago bunny army with wilson to beat beequeen and was the only way i had to kill her but know i just build some helmets and beat her whenever i feel i need and not when i have an army prepared

Gives satisfaction to improve in this game. Changing it to make them free kills not only will remove the balance but also the hours of fun that this game can bring to you and that improvement feeling

Is totally possible to play as maxwell (just watch helicapumba playthrow) but not if you arent experience enough. Also doesnt matter how much hp maxwell has since you will wear armor (the max damage you take is 20) and you should have heals. I recommend you to create a world with an easier character to practise the fights 

Toads loot is great and is one of the easier fights, it just takes more time and resources(i usually kill him in winter with morning star to make it shorter). Is balanced for how easy it is. Bee queen is tricky but there is many strats without need of boring cheese methods like fire farms or permafreeze via flingo. Just fighting in spring with a morning star makes the fight way shorter and less resource intense. Again, check helicapumba YouTube channel, he has an almost no hit wormwood fight (woormwood wich has the same damage as maxwell but heals with less stuff)

Edit: and if you dont like all of these, you have gunpowder, blow/electric darts or celestial portal, the way klei introduced "reduced hp" on bosses, that allows you to change to warly and make volt goat jelly which gives you a lot of damage making the boss fights a chill walk of few min or seconds (if you combine it with wolfgang) (having beequeen with 5000hp will be silly having also this food)

7 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Having bosses with great game changing loot like beequeen or klaus with that low hp just breaks the game

I HIGHLY Disagree with this statement now that I can literally exit the game at ANY POINT OF TIME and change some of the worlds settings such as removing hound attacks completely.

Sure... maybe it breaks your meta/public world ways of playing- But now that I can quite literally turn on/off elements of the game at my own pleasure, I don’t think obtaining loot from a boss would be as “game breaking” as toggling off hound waves completely.

This games changing.. Surely everyone can see how much it’s changing- Things that used to be done only on PC with mods are now being offered to everyone as free actual game features.

Theres a Toggle so players spawning into pre-existing worlds spawn into the world with items they need to stay alive with..

Im pretty sure that if Klei wanted to.. a toggle for boss health & difficulty isn’t going to completely break the game anymore then all this other stuff already has.

It's not hard to kill toad, it's just very resource intensive with patience needed. I've fought misery and I can recommend just to get Voltgoat jelly and spice it up with Warly then switch back to whatever you play to kill all the things with bigger ease.

On 5/18/2021 at 4:04 AM, Overlorts said:

I have no idea how to kill it, without team with minimum 3 players or some weird ice flingomatic + star caller's staff tactics. How can we solve the problem?

By trying harder or looking up guides.

On 5/18/2021 at 4:04 AM, Overlorts said:

And yes, i know there are mods, which add, that what, i described, but most of them are disbalanced and offishial content is always more reliable.

What you are describing is incredibly unbalanced & would turn most fights into a brainless "Hold F and do nothing else for a few seconds". Official implementation would not be any more reliable than the current mods on the workshop.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:45 AM, Overlorts said:

Possibly, but some of bosses are too hard compeared to useability of loot (like toadstool).

Toadstool is the third most fun fight in the game. If you don't have fun fighting bosses & just want their loot just create contraptions that make the boss fight really easy.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:45 AM, Auhrer said:

The game is easy, and all bosses are easy to kill, you just have no experience

don't know if this is satire or you just like gatekeeping and being a **** about a game

21 hours ago, Dextops said:

don't know if this is satire or you just like gatekeeping and being a **** about a game

The game is good, it is one of my favorites, I did not speak in a negative way.

I just said that when you have experience with the game you can do everything without dying. It is difficult only for beginners

The guy said he needs to lower the life of the monsters, in my opinion it should increase, or have an option in the world that increases

On 5/25/2021 at 6:38 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

we have to admit that the bosses arent difficult in a way where the player needs skill, just knowledge

Dragonfly is arguably one of the easiest optional bosses, yet I've not seen a single player/video perfectly and consistently dodging her attacks. Similarly I've never seen someone dodge all of Klaus' AoEs perfectly or killing FW without letting him heal even once. Note that people who upload videos (speedruns/guides) typically practice a boss many times before recording the run.

I agree with the notion that DST is not the most skill demanding game. But at the same time it attracts a huge variety of players, many of which rely on other players to kill bosses and think that camping near a beefalo savanna is the best thing ever because of hounds.

My point is that players like you have played this game to an extend that everything seems easy. You are likely also naturally inclined to face challenges in games and overcome them, even if they are difficult. I agree that what you say is good advice in the sense that most players in theory could face these bosses, but lets not forget that, even though most bosses are rather simple in terms of mechanics, they are very punishing. If you mess up too much you die, which is very costly for a less experienced player.

1 hour ago, clickrush said:

Dragonfly is arguably one of the easiest optional bosses, yet I've not seen a single player/video perfectly and consistently dodging her attacks. Similarly I've never seen someone dodge all of Klaus' AoEs perfectly or killing FW without letting him heal even once. Note that people who upload videos (speedruns/guides) typically practice a boss many times before recording the run.

I agree with the notion that DST is not the most skill demanding game. But at the same time it attracts a huge variety of players, many of which rely on other players to kill bosses and think that camping near a beefalo savanna is the best thing ever because of hounds.

My point is that players like you have played this game to an extend that everything seems easy. You are likely also naturally inclined to face challenges in games and overcome them, even if they are difficult. I agree that what you say is good advice in the sense that most players in theory could face these bosses, but lets not forget that, even though most bosses are rather simple in terms of mechanics, they are very punishing. If you mess up too much you die, which is very costly for a less experienced player.

im taking in count how difficult was for me to learn the boss fights but that doesnt mean that they are to a "hollow knight" or "dark souls" level. Except for few bosses, the mechanic is simple - Dodge-

we are talking of beating bosses not doing 0 damage fights (ofc is difficult if you have to dodge 100 hits because the fight is long) so for defeat a boss you only need few experience fighting it, knowing how much resources you will need and the experience of farming those resources (in the most difficults ones you also need to know how works the inventory and a little of skill to switch at time the items needed)

In other games you must beat the boss with the potions, skills, units, whatever that the game have prepare for you for that fight at that point, in dst you fight the boss when you feel like it (except for few minor bosses)

so what i tried to say is that knowing which items are needed to make the fight easier, dealing with dangers like weather, mob waves, darkness etc, knowing how to farm materials in a quick way so it doesnt become grindy and other factors are tied to player knowledge more than player skill because for killing some bosses you can even tank them  which is basicaly press F, you dont need asian reflexes to beat deerclops, antlion, beequeen or ck

On 5/18/2021 at 4:04 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Nah I have to disagree.

Some of us have very casual friends who play or play solo, and bosses like crab king and the pearl for the new event, or toadstool just have way too much health to be fun.

They get really tedious and honestly, if it’s optional, why does it matter as it wouldn’t impact players like you?

Though rather than having one mode, I’d like a few boss options in the menu so you can tweak the serious raid bosses with 25k or 50k+ health without impacting deerclops etc. 

like 75% health, 100% health, 125% health

and there you go, if you want to really test yourself, make the crab king 1.5 times stronger if you wish. 

for me, it’s about the resource intensity and the time intensity, not the difficulty... and the crab king with pearl is not fun, so less tedium would be welcome. 

(also let’s face it, for those of us who play on console the crab king is just a mess)

12 hours ago, SaphironX said:

Nah I have to disagree.

Some of us have very casual friends who play or play solo, and bosses like crab king and the pearl for the new event, or toadstool just have way too much health to be fun.

They get really tedious and honestly, if it’s optional, why does it matter as it wouldn’t impact players like you?

Though rather than having one mode, I’d like a few boss options in the menu so you can tweak the serious raid bosses with 25k or 50k+ health without impacting deerclops etc. 

like 75% health, 100% health, 125% health

and there you go, if you want to really test yourself, make the crab king 1.5 times stronger if you wish. 

for me, it’s about the resource intensity and the time intensity, not the difficulty... and the crab king with pearl is not fun, so less tedium would be welcome. 

(also let’s face it, for those of us who play on console the crab king is just a mess)

They don’t see and/or understand these serious and highly valid concerns, I’m always greeted with “Get better at kiting or watch videos”

I don’t think they Understand that the problem isn’t my lack of knowledge preparing for a fight- it’s the fact that doing that fight solo is a long resource extensive time-sink.

And in many cases people just don’t have that much time to invest into a play session.

For ME I personally play on random &/or shortest weather seasons so I can experience a ton of the games content in what I like to call “short burst sessions” Aka: What would normally take players a few real world hours or days to set up and prepare for- I’m able to enjoy in 30 minutes to an hour or less.

with many of this games bosses & content (Dragonfly, Eye of The Storm stuff) it takes FOREVER to get to the point of being able to enjoy that.

Maybe SOME players enjoy that slowly built up time sink, but for others... it can quickly turn them away from playing the game at all

Which is WHY I keep saying over and over again Klei needs to focus on new biomes or maybe even refreshed existing biomes With new mobs small things to fight and new Craftable items.

AKA: Things you can enjoy in 30 minutes or less just taking a casual stroll exploring the map, rather than investing 6+ hours into setting up for.

For me bosses would be much more enjoyable if they were easier to fight alone, and scaled upwards based on player count- and by scaling upwards I don’t just mean higher health and damage..

I mean if 6 players are fighting.. maybe the boss has some new attacks that require team work or you all fail.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:14 PM, Auhrer said:

The game is good, it is one of my favorites, I did not speak in a negative way.

I just said that when you have experience with the game you can do everything without dying. It is difficult only for beginners

The guy said he needs to lower the life of the monsters, in my opinion it should increase, or have an option in the world that increases

Personally my issue with bosses is that they're not engaging they are damage sponges that don't have much variety boss fights in dst for the most part aren't fun or challenging just boring damage sponges.

I agree that a "Solo" mode would be a beneficial implementation. When you set the number of players allowed in a world to 1 the game automatically makes your world type "Alone", but that doesn't actually change anything. When "Alone" mode is active, I would appreciate if Boss health was balanced more in line with base Don't Starve boss health. The attack patterns and everything are still good, just health would be adjusted. 

I completely agree with this post. I saw a poll that more than half of the current players for Don't Starve Together play solo since single player don't starve is dead. That forced all Don't Starve players to play Don't Starve Together, it would definitely be cool if someone started a alone world they adjusted the health of mobs to that of single player Don't Starve. For myself i don't have any friends that play this game and I'm not the type of person who enjoys joining someone's random world.

2 hours ago, Hazitru said:

I completely agree with this post. I saw a poll that more than half of the current players for Don't Starve Together play solo since single player don't starve is dead. That forced all Don't Starve players to play Don't Starve Together, it would definitely be cool if someone started a alone world they adjusted the health of mobs to that of single player Don't Starve. For myself i don't have any friends that play this game and I'm not the type of person who enjoys joining someone's random world.

I SLIGHTLY disagree with this, but please let me explain why- YES DST is designed and intended to be played with multiple players, however... the characters you play as in DST have new and amazing abilities that make playing them easier, such as- Willow with Bernie which makes fighting Shadows a joke compared to her Solo counter part, or Wendy with more control over Abigail so she’s no longer suiciding herself into swamp tentacles.

The new abilities for the characters IS that change that makes Solo play more tolerable.

However there ARE a few things Klei could do to make solo play more enjoyable- Scaling boss health is just one thing....

but for the love of GOD I would be “almost” willing to give Anything for an actual pause button.. I have a bladder issue, and pee breaks are quite often for me, DST is NOT a Pee friendly game. :wilson_cry:

On 5/26/2021 at 1:53 PM, clickrush said:

Dragonfly is arguably one of the easiest optional bosses, yet I've not seen a single player/video perfectly and consistently dodging her attacks. Similarly I've never seen someone dodge all of Klaus' AoEs perfectly or killing FW without letting him heal even once.

then you just haven't looked at all