Celestial Champion Phase 3 on console is a struggle

Well, i'm trying to kill him in the phase 3 on solo for at least 2h,

I tried to destroy the shard with the Weather pain but i can't, i have to go very near the shard to cast it then i got the hit and they put me to sleep. When there are some item the aiming doesn't exist.

I don't want to cheese him with Shootius, darts or other stuff, like the fw with catapults because we have bad aiming on console (or at least we have to waste a lot of uses because it aim randomly).

Also the input lag is very high, when i try to switch 2 or more items i have to wait more than a second that probably cause gettin hit.

I'm trying with Magiluminescence but there's also a problem. On console we have to wait the character to be the nearest possible to the target but as you know when you are near the Celestial Champion he tries to run away and attack. 

I even tried with Ice staff, but you need a lot of them to kill him.

I can't play like this..

So.. there is a chance that we get a seriously QoL for console to fix this kinda stuff (and maybe have a geometric placement) or we have to live like this forever?

Btw if someone else did in solo tell me how (i wanted to do without darts ecc)

47 minutes ago, Peyo33 said:

i'm trying to kill him in the phase 3 on solo for at least 2h

There's your problem. This is the final boss right now and we shouldn't be able to solo it imo. I know people CAN do it, but it's meant for a group. 

IF you have to solo it then go get some moonshrooms to negate the sleep effects. 

The boss isn't so hard, the problem is on the limitation on console, specially in aiming something.. U get free hit just to chase the boss and attack him.

Btw i wanted to do in solo because i mostly play alone and i don't want to wait a friend to do it..

I did him solo a few times, but I used blowdarts to make quick work of stage 3. I don't bother trying to smash the snares this way, I position so he destroys some with his lazers (You still have to get close enough to him to target and he will target you back, but I'm fine tanking a few lazers, it only takes a little over 20 blowdarts for stage 3). I will try the fight without blowdarts and less buffed soon but it will take me a while to get that kiting pattern. And yes the lag spikes when transitioning from different stages can be rough. I got it all set up to fight him 3 more times next spring, probably tomorrow, we can test stuff together if you wish.

But I'm totally for using blowdarts, I guess you're not.

As for equipment I used night armors and bone helm for the first fight, and night armors with crown for the next ones, dark swords and blowdarts.

I also fought him while wet, with spicy fat-man, of course.

I've killed him three times on console so far (no further plans to though)  and yeah phase three is as bit of a nightmare. I did it legit with melee weapons twice and used darts for the final phase on my third attempt. Fighting him in Winter is horrible... you can't see gestalts properly at all and you need to stay warm as well but the boss loves to destroy structures. I swapped thermals between phases which worked decently.

Phase 3 is super tough on console, weather pains are useless it's honestly easier to just let him destroy the crystals himself. Also yep he runs away constantly and it's super easy to get slowed, stunlocked or put to sleep via gestalts. 

Mushcakes help but not by that much, if you eat one after being slowed by a gestalts it restores your speed (until you get hit again moments later that is..

I went through a frankly stupid amount of armor weps and other various resources to get the three kills but I did it and I'm happy.

Phase 3 on console is definitely a different beast to pc and is honestly harder than FW in my opinion. Sure FW heals but CC constantly runs from you and slows you and has various attacks that can and will one shot you without armor even as Wig with full health her innate damage reduction and garlic spices. Most of my deaths and failed attempts were when I was on my last Thule crowns/battle helm and about to swap to the other type then a double laser firstly destroys my current helm leaving me defenseless and the second hit kills me immediately.

Don't get me started on the move where he summons a million gestalts, that just shreds you to pieces and I get the feeling that mushcake actually makes it much much worse - because you can be put to sleep every greater gestalt attack hits and you just get annihilated/your armor MELTED. I'm talking like two full Thule crowns melted. 

12 hours ago, Peyo33 said:

Btw if someone else did in solo tell me how (i wanted to do without darts ecc)

Stupid amount of Thule crowns, spicy volt  jelly, garlic jellybeans, dark swords and Thul clubs (you can actually sort of stunlock him shortly with tentacles and get a good chunk of damage in), mushcakes to eat anytime you get slowed too much, pierogi to heal Any time you mess up, eating a couple of jellybeans throughout and walking cane to move around faster. Mag or bone armor would be great too but honestly i prefer the krampus pack storage, I'm probably handicapping myself this way but oh well. 

Oh and most importantly lots of patience...

Any time he does the mass gestalt summon attack just run, once you get far away enough he stops and you just ran back in.

I did it with lot of patience, 3 day of fighting just for phase 3, lot of food armor and jellybean wasted but hey i got my first crown, also @BeeClops helped me with the last few hits xD

I just waited a lot for him to destroy his own shard and hit him when he summoned new ones.

On console he's way too harder than fuelweaver, i kill him in half a day (in game), i think i have to go with darts with on the next try.. also i think there's no way to kill him in solo without wasting a lot of time and resources..

I made this post not to say that he is hard, but to show dev's that we need some QoL because we can't play this game at the fullest like pc (obliviously i know Mk are more accurate and have a lot more option but some little changes on controller or setting can help us enjoy more the gameplay)

Quick question: are you guys using the target locking feature? (Clicking in Analog stick to lock onto and focus enemy) for the longest of time I didn’t even know this was a “Thing”

I don’t have any plans to attempt to fight this boss at all.. Boss fights just aren’t my cup of tea, I want new areas to explore, new biomes, new mobs stuff I can do solo without too much hassle..

Yes Klei designs this game for Multiplayer but I don’t think they realize that with all the changes they’ve made to this game.. they’ve also made it Superior to playing the single player version: Cool Character Reworks, Simplified Beefalo Taming, Deeper Gardening Mechanics, Customizable character, belonging & world item skins.. Why on earth would ANYONE play DS Solo over the obviously Superior DST?

Its these Boss fights though that turn me against DST.. they tend to be these huge drawn out battles that are rather unfortunately the main focus of most their content updates, Not everyone can or wants to play with other players despite that being the name of the game- Some people (like me) play DST because Klei’s made it more enjoyable than the solo version.

I knew the moment I watched people fighting this thing in the beta that it was going to end up being pure hell with a console controller if your trying to solo it- Hopefully some QoL is added in the future, to make things easier both for playing Solo, and using a controller.

Sometime i use the target lock, depend on the situation, in this case is useless because you want to target the shard instead of him.

I like fight bosses, some more than other (because the same problem with controller). If your play style is on base decoration try to find a way to cheese them. I don't know if you set your game local only the bosses has a drop on health, try to check it.

1 hour ago, Take_Off_Hoser_ said:

Because of the weather pain being useless on console I can't get past those stupid birds to even fight the boss lmao.

Why does the weather pain make us have to stand right next to our target? makes no sense 

Try to use Wendy to deal with them

5 hours ago, Take_Off_Hoser_ said:

Because of the weather pain being useless on console I can't get past those stupid birds to even fight the boss lmao.

Why does the weather pain make us have to stand right next to our target? makes no sense 

Yes I honestly had a harder time with the birds than I did with the champion.  The weather pain was making me raaaaaaaaage lol

tail'o 3 cats thing might work fine for birds, and probably darts, tho expensive. I didn't even attempt to use the weather pain, you have to go near to use it and tank damage anyway; I did it with cane 2 times but failed like 10 times, wasting a ton of healing in the process... :D swapping to Wendy is the easiest and the cheapest solution 

I reported the weather pain distance issue as a bug. I'd suggest others do so, too, and give it some traction. There's no reason distance aiming logic for this item/weapon shouldn't work on console as there's no issues with Walter's ammo or darts. It wasn't fun trying to collect a lot of feathers off Malbatross and destroying your own own in the process. No idea if it'll be prioritized.

This fight is very easy with Wolfgang and proper equipment. For phase 3 just save yourself the hassle and spam 40 blowdarts while buffed with spicy volt jelly, it will be over before you know it. If anyone is struggling here's what i used as Wolfgang:
Heals - 1 garlic jellybean, 5 pierogi, 20 blue caps
Weapons - 2 thulsite clubs, 40 blowdarts (for phase 3)
Armor - 3 thulsite crowns. 3 thulsite armor
Phase 1 - Avoid the roll attk and hit 12x after he stops, avoid the AoE, rinse n repeat.
Phase 2 - Avoid the spin attk then the following range or melee attk and hit 8x after, rinse n repeat.
Phase 3 - Lock on from max distance and spam your 40 darts, tank everything except the sleepy-time AoE

Remember to eat jelly and keep your sanity down/ hunger up with blue caps throughout the fight. Also to wait for a new day save before you start, that way you can practice or fail as much as you want without consequence. 

Edit: Forgot to mention Wendy is OP for the Wagstaff defends during Moonstorm event. If you're having trouble just let Abi handle everything while you focus on finding the correct parts :)

I suggest to make a sanity drain station with Lazy Deserter nearby so you don't have to waste food/resource for your sanity. In phase 3 he barely move so you have all the time you want to take a break and low your sanity.

I think i'll go with dart for the next tries. Wasted a lot of time with melee weapon on the first try.

5 hours ago, Peyo33 said:

I suggest to make a sanity drain station with Lazy Deserter nearby so you don't have to waste food/resource for your sanity. In phase 3 he barely move so you have all the time you want to take a break and low your sanity.

I think i'll go with dart for the next tries. Wasted a lot of time with melee weapon on the first try.

After I eventually passed the birds lol using wendy, phase 3 i just tanked him as much as possible using wolfgang and jelly. I would have used weather pain but it just doesn't work right if we have to run right next to object we want to use it on. 

I used glommer gloop to lower sanity and that works like a charm.

Archived