Jump to content

Brave new world of infinite food storage


Recommended Posts

The first thing I've discovered about my new refrigeration setup - dupes can't pick up food unless the tile directly above it is vacant.  They can pick up any other item that isn't food, but for food the square has to have an open space above it.  If I fill in that tile, no more food (but any chunks of rock that are there can be picked up).  Prior to today's release, that would have been your standard plus shaped food hollow.  Now, we're chlorinated, temperature controlled (so the chlorine doesn't freeze out on me).  If I rebuild this, I might change it to a door mechanism for controlling temp.  As it is, I'm just turning the autosweeper on to feed the wheezewort as needed.

In any event, please share your new food storage schemes.

 

food.thumb.png.2c4122a338ff0ad4de9d569172c489fe.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the vanilla game I always use low temp (-20C ) and Co2 or Cl

as simple as this one

 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.abf2fb27beab9163fda3c5fcdf6dc423.png

image.thumb.png.8c33eaa82f9514d01bd0a6993d8d5422.png

ceramic termoinsulated tiles are fine - if you do not have them yet, any termo insulated work but use double layers (or vacuum between if you want some very good insulation

pip planted wheezeworts or planted into agricultural tiles with autofeeding keep the temperature below -20C

if you are at the early stage, you can put a fridge into the box and then replace it with wheezeworts when you dig them out

I have hand washing sinks for kitchen and mess hall so no bacteria on food but also you can drop bleach stone for some Cl vapors to kill bacteria. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

even simpler setup but does not preserve 100% (for an outpost with 2-6 dupes)

-0.6% (166 cycles) for preserves and -5% (20 cycles) for other food items - I am doing mainly preserves at this outpost (Edem) and other food for coal

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.38c31adf64167c2c3bea1ba61d95b7df.png

 

for space exploration, yes vacuum is good - otherwise is too powerful to use on the main base

as I use the airlock door mode it will be way too easy to store food for land bases in vacuum. And yes, it is an old design, pre- space solar panels and batteries. Fridge is not powered.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7145a636a2732d16fa67cfdebd98fce7.png

image.thumb.png.c98420544725209aea52f53040ffb066.png

 

21 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Just use vacuum, you obtain "Deep Freeze" + "Sterile Atmosphere", it's totally overpowered and it's works with unplugged fridge.

For sterilisation, just cook your food, it kills the germs.

if dups touch the cooked food with dirty hands - the germs will be transferred to the cooked food.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 9:37 AM, SamLogan said:

Just use vacuum, you obtain "Deep Freeze" + "Sterile Atmosphere", it's totally overpowered and it's works with unplugged fridge.

For sterilisation, just cook your food, it kills the germs.

That used to be the case, but Klei decided that that was sidestepping their plans for food storage being a challenge for the player to figure out, so they changed it to get the temperature of the food if said food is in a vacuum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Autoskip said:

That used to be the case, but Klei decided that that was sidestepping their plans for food storage being a challenge for the player to figure out, so they changed it to get the temperature of the food if said food is in a vacuum.

I still think that food temperature should be used regardless. It looks strange when 30 degree food is frozen because it's in refrigerator that has temp of -20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted this over on reddit, too, but this was my solution.  You can build the module basically anywhere you'd like, doesn't need to be in space.  Just deconstruct the platform after you've got it all setup and it's easy in and out for long term food storage.  Gives you both deep freeze and sterile, depending on what gas you choose to fill the module with.  I chose hydrogen because it's easy and quick to cool.  Some suggestions were to use pips to plant the wheezeworts, but I found this solution to be fine.  It's probably overkill.

20210608120507_1.thumb.jpg.6bc81a4c8bb22f900bb527505ca76d3c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dacio_ultanca said:

I posted this over on reddit, too, but this was my solution.  You can build the module basically anywhere you'd like, doesn't need to be in space.  Just deconstruct the platform after you've got it all setup and it's easy in and out for long term food storage.  Gives you both deep freeze and sterile, depending on what gas you choose to fill the module with.  I chose hydrogen because it's easy and quick to cool.  Some suggestions were to use pips to plant the wheezeworts, but I found this solution to be fine.  It's probably overkill.

20210608120507_1.thumb.jpg.6bc81a4c8bb22f900bb527505ca76d3c.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 12:24 AM, NewWorldDan said:

The first thing I've discovered about my new refrigeration setup - dupes can't pick up food unless the tile directly above it is vacant.  They can pick up any other item that isn't food, but for food the square has to have an open space above it. 

What about cooking ingredients that are not food yet, like Sleet Wheat?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

What about cooking ingredients that are not food yet, like Sleet Wheat?

No idea, never tested that.  They could pick up general debris chunks, though.  I've changed my whole setup to just a chilled carbon pit.  And I didn't test if there was a difference in picking up from the right vs. the left.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

No idea, never tested that.  They could pick up general debris chunks, though.  I've changed my whole setup to just a chilled carbon pit.  And I didn't test if there was a difference in picking up from the right vs. the left.  

Thanks anyways. I am planning to do the "carbon freezer pit" approach as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...