Do we need an indicator for those in the caves?

How does compass work when one is in the caves and the other on the surface?

I‘ve been looking forward of trying out the compass. It might come in handy sometimes and it would be interesting if it is worth an inventory slot.

19 minutes ago, clickrush said:

How does compass work when one is in the caves and the other on the surface?

I‘ve been looking forward of trying out the compass. It might come in handy sometimes and it would be interesting if it is worth an inventory slot.

You could be onto something here also. 

1 hour ago, AllFunNGamez said:

...a way of knowing who is in the caves when you are in the overworld..

Yes, griefers need help locating your base. Why leave the poor malicious souls looking to no end all over Forest shard for a theoretical but non-existent base, when they can know from start you are actually on Cave shard, and most likely your base hidden there as well. Make life easy for griefers, and hint them from start where to go. Also why stop there, go a step further with Global Positions! Those damn bases aren't going to burn & hammer themselves, are they?! :adoration:

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Yes, griefers need help locating your base. Why leave the poor malicious souls looking to no end all over Forest shard for a theoretical but non-existent base, when they can know from start you are actually on Cave shard, and most likely your base hidden there as well. Make life easy for griefers, and hint them from start where to go. Also why stop there, go a step further with Global Positions! Those damn bases aren't going to burn & hammer themselves, are they?! :adoration:

I am sorry but what the heck are you talking about? 

I said show you are in the caves or overworld not the exact location.... How would knowing if someone is in the Caves or Overworld tell you the base location? If you fear playing with people that much maybe do not play with them.

10 hours ago, AllFunNGamez said:

I am sorry but what the heck are you talking about? 

I said show you are in the caves or overworld not the exact location.... How would knowing if someone is in the Caves or Overworld tell you the base location? If you fear playing with people that much maybe do not play with them.

Simple: usually griefers assume - rightly so - communal base is either at PK or Oasis. And roam land in search of said locations, Forest shard. Vast majority of grifers have this modus operandi. But if they would see player(s) is/are in Caves, guess where will start looking/roaming. And yes, pubs are full of griefers - and only from your proposal and pov I can tell you don't play pubs or seldom do so, and not of the un-moderated variety. Perhaps only your servers, open to public or to some friends. In which case I strongly encourage you to use the mod from my first post above. In pubs there's no need other players know on which shard a particular player is or isn't. Is supposed to be "uncompromised survival", not "flame party in base with random griefers" because people on their personal servers feel the need to know where their friends and/or regulars are, "extending" their desire via such proposals as this thread's on pubs as well. Once more: there's 0 need in pubs, default un-moderated dedicated Survival/Endless servers, for people to know on which shard others are - there's a fog-of-war for a reason.

14 hours ago, AllFunNGamez said:

Yes I think it would be nice to have a way of knowing who is in the caves when you are in the overworld a small thing to the left of the name would be super helpful.

You mean like a Forest icon over player on scoreboard when they are in overworld

and a Cave icon when they are in Caves ?

20 minutes ago, Cliffford W. said:

You mean like a Forest icon over player on scoreboard when they are in overworld

and a Cave icon when they are in Caves ?

Exactly this.

8 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why don't you just ask if someone's in the caves? Why do you even need to know?

If you can give me a valid reason why knowing if someone is not in the caves or overworld I will agree with you but if your reason is "Why do you need to know" than I feel like you are just trying to get likes out of your negative response. 

Reasons why I like to know if people are in the caves if I am about to log off my server and people are still in the caves and not back on the overworld yet I might consider the fact they are in the ruins and should wait until they come up. Asking sometimes does not help because if they are running from monsters etc they cannot type right away.

Another reason would be for the fact of knowing if everyone is in the caves gathering resources I could go and help them instead of staying on the surface. It also helps to know if my friend tells me okay lets go adventuring or go gather resources today and I am looking for them on the surface on the map (without GPS mod installed which a lot of people do not use) Instead of typing and wasting time finding them I would know where they are.

I feel like and maybe this is just me but I feel like instead of just saying yea that would be a cool thing to add some people prefer disagreeing for no reason at all. There would be 0 to no negative affect for having this. 

Please prove otherwise.

well there kinda is one alredy you just have to click on "view player" and then if you see them holding an lantern durin day time you know there down there same goes if they have all the good stuff from the ruins equip

Reasons why I like to know if people are in the caves if I am about to log off my server and people are still in the caves and not back on the overworld yet I might consider the fact they are in the ruins and should wait until they come up. Asking sometimes does not help because if they are running from monsters etc they cannot type right away.

See? As expected, you're playing your own server, not pubs - thus of course you aren't familiarized with biggest pub issue, griefers, and how they operate. Not knowing where your peeps are for that specific reason is a you-problem, not a KLei/bulk player-base problem. Use some voice-chat application to coordinate better with your friends/casuals, and/or a geo-location mod like the one suggested above (btw: that's server-side mod, not client-side mod, thus only you need to install it on your server).

Another reason would be for the fact of knowing if everyone is in the caves gathering resources I could go and help them instead of staying on the surface. It also helps to know if my friend tells me okay lets go adventuring or go gather resources today and I am looking for them on the surface on the map (without GPS mod installed which a lot of people do not use) Instead of typing and wasting time finding them I would know where they are.

This has almost no-meaning in pubs. Again, is a you-issue, as actual cooperation in pubs seldom happens. In public un-moderated servers vast majority of players doesn't give a damn about the needs & wants of others, since bulk player-base can barely survive all-around. You are writing about your experience on your personal server(s). Organize better with your in-game friends/peers frequenting your servers, either via a mod or voice-chat. Discord (am sure you're using it) has this precise function. Otherwise there's a plethora of VoIP software, use and abuse it with confidence. No need to lobby KLei into introducing an ultimately detrimental function for pubs (since will be just a new avenue for griefers to exploit successfully) when your problem is quite specific and has the mentioned-above easy solutions, tailored for your particular expressed desires.

There would be 0 to no negative affect for having this. 

Please prove otherwise.

From your point of view of a person not playing pubs (obvious now), sure will be 0 negative effects. Come on EU servers, play Survival or Endless un-moderated pubs, have the communal base 4 times burned, all Pig Huts smashed and taken offline from server, Mandrake forest burned almost completely, mini-starter base in cave beside Florid Postern burned as well, Spawn's Firepit and Endo-pit plus Lighting Rod completely smashed 2 times (elements that should aid a bit newly-spawned players), same with Pot, Fridge and Scaled Furnace, Spider Eggs planted in Gate 3 times, all in same iteration of the 500-something days server - then come back and tell me griefers are not a problem. I have almost 10k h of DST, and most it was spent in KLei official pubs and other similar public servers. I could write pages-upon-pages of the shenanigans, trolling, griefing, madness I've seen since DST was in beta in said pubs. Hence my viewpoint: such a feature would aid plenty trolls/griefers in their insanity while providing precisely 0 benefits for pub goers - again: vast majority of people don't give a damn about what one might want/need to help if seeing certain people on Forest-or-Cave shards.

12 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

But if they would see player(s) is/are in Caves, guess where will start looking/roaming.

They can predict where you are by looking at a profile and check what gear you have equipped. You are not going to run in caves without a lightsource. It's stupid to run with a lightsource when it is broad daylight in the constant.

4 minutes ago, KeshS said:

They can predict where you are by looking at a profile and check what gear you have equipped. You are not going to run in caves without a lightsource. It's stupid to run with a lightsource when it is broad daylight in the constant.

If you permanently/mainly main-camp in Caves you either do it under natural-light shafts or using Starcallers. Hence equipped gear is relatively important and not that telling. If anything, it just hints at someone traveling in Cave, not actual camping.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

If you permanently/mainly main-camp in Caves you either do it under natural-light shafts or using Starcallers. Hence equipped gear is relatively important and not that telling. If anything, it just hints at someone traveling in Cave, not actual camping.

I truly believe if someone wants to find you in a public server they will find your base. If you are truly experiencing such bad problems on a public server it might be best to avoid them. 

6 minutes ago, AllFunNGamez said:

I truly believe if someone wants to find you in a public server they will find your base. If you are truly experiencing such bad problems on a public server it might be best to avoid them. 

Of course, a griefer with some vendetta would. Maybe. Because Labyrinth base. Or Atrium Base. Most will long be dead in Caves, not mentioning Ruins. But a tool that even aids them superficially is still a bon for griefers, and offers precisely 0 advantages regarding bulk player-base pub divers. Yes, truly such bad experience occur regularly in pubs. But here's the thing: best, funniest, most interesting experience likewise happen in pub servers, the Official KLei variety. In fact almost all of my close Steam friends were met in respective pubs.

As a recap: for your personal server specific issue already exist easy solutions (global position server-side mods plus VoIP software for verbal communication); meanwhile proposed concept in OP is more detrimental for general pub populace (being a malicious players' bon) and offers almost no advantage at all for legitimate players (bulk player-base being vastly made of newbies/noobs/casuals for which position of a certain player means nothing, or at most will bring up some useless "Why are you in Cave? When are you coming back, because I starve and wanna go to camp.." chat topic).

3 hours ago, AllFunNGamez said:

If you can give me a valid reason why knowing if someone is not in the caves or overworld I will agree with you but if your reason is "Why do you need to know" than I feel like you are just trying to get likes out of your negative response. 

What?

What if someone's fighting one of the many bosses on the surface? Are you gonna also wait for them to get back, too, so you're just waiting regardless of whether you see they're in the caves or the surface?

Another reason would be for the fact of knowing if everyone is in the caves gathering resources I could go and help them instead of staying on the surface.

So you're telling me that right now you currently somehow magically aimbot onto people at the surface to help them, and if there were a cave marker then you would suddenly magically aimbot onto them? How are you gonna know where they are or what they're doing?

I feel like and maybe this is just me but I feel like instead of just saying yea that would be a cool thing to add some people prefer disagreeing for no reason at all. There would be 0 to no negative affect for having this. 

Please prove otherwise.

It's already been proven why but you dismissed it as "I never play on servers other than my own so I have no idea what they're like". There's already been a very bad reason given for this being added, it would greatly help griefers. You haven't given a single reason why it should be added. Since it is your server, why don't you just use a mod that does that?

There is no reason to have such a feature in the game, for a person playing on a private server that probably everyone on it is friends and is supposed to be on a discord call. Especially because the game is cooperative and it makes no sense to play it without communication. If you need to know if someone is in the caves or surface, you ask for the call or in the chat just game, if no one answers you close the server and the problem is who was doing something and did not warn you that they should wait a little longer to close the server.

41 minutes ago, Tarciso said:

There is no reason to have such a feature in the game, for a person playing on a private server that probably everyone on it is friends and is supposed to be on a discord call. Especially because the game is cooperative and it makes no sense to play it without communication. If you need to know if someone is in the caves or surface, you ask for the call or in the chat just game, if no one answers you close the server and the problem is who was doing something and did not warn you that they should wait a little longer to close the server.

I feel like it does have a good use. Especially if you are in the caves during summer and making sure someone is not above ground accidently causing fire spread. Also just why not? 

Archived