I see an issue with the Game right now. We cant recreate Ores. This can be as of right now be an issue if you change all your ores into metal. Not that this is controllable yes. But i think we could use 100kg metal and 100kg stones to recreate 100kg metal ore in the molecular forge as an solution.

I mean Refined Metal is alread renewable and stone too via vulcanos. If you need to create ore for what purpose ever it should come with a little penalty. Also Ores are needed for Plug slugs right now there was another solution posted here about the Slugs:

If needed it could even be a new building called ore creator if you want don't want to use the high end Mollecular Forge for it. This could be the non natural Equivalent to this topic.

This would also solve the issue that you only can use steel for certain buildings when the ores are out. Since we as of yet can't use refined metals for ore buildings except via mod.

It`s weird that we need to downgrade our resources after a while. Makes the game feel awkward. Recreating ores seems to be the solution but doesn`t remove the awkwardness of the situation. We need to turn a resource into a worse version of itself to build certain stuff or feed certain creatures (super awkward with smooth hatches).

I`d fix it by adding a critter in the rust biome that turns metal into ores or rust. It would fit the biome better than random squeaky pufts.

Another solution would be making a cheaper metal forge recipie that has properties similar to steel and can be used for everything. Lets say an aluminium-copper alloy. Give it half of the steel temperature bonus and don`t allow it to be used for bunker tiles and other steel-only structures but make it a replacement for lategame ore. Critter diet could be addjusted accordingly.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

aluminium-copper alloy

Doesn't need to be specifically aluminum copper, could be rose gold, perhaps a cobalt steel or cobalt tungsten alloy. High temperatures, perhaps higher than steel could be cobalt tungsten, but the thermium is best for the extremely hot situations. A way to recycle depleted uranium, really quite a few things that can be used.

19 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s weird that we need to downgrade our resources after a while. Makes the game feel awkward. Recreating ores seems to be the solution but doesn`t remove the awkwardness of the situation. We need to turn a resource into a worse version of itself to build certain stuff or feed certain creatures (super awkward with smooth hatches).

I`d fix it by adding a critter in the rust biome that turns metal into ores or rust. It would fit the biome better than random squeaky pufts.

Another solution would be making a cheaper metal forge recipie that has properties similar to steel and can be used for everything. Lets say an aluminium-copper alloy. Give it half of the steel temperature bonus and don`t allow it to be used for bunker tiles and other steel-only structures but make it a replacement for lategame ore. Critter diet could be addjusted accordingly.

Another Solution would be to let the Vulcanos spit out ore instead of refined metal. Just throwing that in now. I often thought about it.

Its a good idea, i would add something like a recipe with a VERY long duration to the Molecular forge in the Automated Colony mod (that would be for the dlc only however).

I would just use 150kg carbon to 100kg iron with a duration of 5 minutes.

Edit: I did add it now to the source code, but it will only be in the next version which may take some time.

Co.Add.Recipe(buildings, 600,
                        new ComplexRecipe.RecipeElement[1]      {
                new ComplexRecipe.RecipeElement(ElementLoader.FindElementByHash(SimHashes.Carbon).tag, 100f)    },
                        new ComplexRecipe.RecipeElement[1]      {
                new ComplexRecipe.RecipeElement(ElementLoader.FindElementByHash(SimHashes.Iron).tag, 100f)       });

You better do this with an autorefinery as long you have enough power with 10 minutes of time to produce 100kg iron this is not an easy recipe this is really lategame.

@Sasza22's idea of a monster converting metals to rust is a good idea.  However, if they simply allowed us to build ore-only buildings with ore or refined metal then that solves the problem without adding anything new to the game.  There's still the issue of plug slugs, but a morph that consumes refined metal instead of ore takes care of that.

Generally, I think refined metals should act as ore. However, while it is not done (may be it will be never done) I suggest this:

it should be like "granite[igneous rock] + metal" = ore

main concern - prevent granite - metal ore - pure metal transformation

so, think it is acceptable - 100kg of metal + 50kg of granite = 100kg of ore.

The obvious solution is meteorites. I'd like to see meteorites in the game at some point, even if only on the "hard" planetoids.

Barring that I've made another suggestion on a source of space ores, in the form of comet mining:

Archived