Renewable Energy Sources

We have solar, we have nuclear, we have geothermal, we're missing only wind and hydroelectric power. 

I think the devs should add hydroelectric and wind power. I don't know how the wind power would work, but the hydroelectric would work by releasing water through a turbine. It could be named Water Turbine, and generate a handful of power. 

With current ONI physics (not something that can be easily changed without flipping everything upside-down), hydroelectric power would be soooo OP that all current feedback that solar power is too powerfull would be nothing compared to what would surge on forums if hydro power would be implemented. The idea emerges every now and then and at first it looks cool (I was thinking about it myself when I started playing ONI), but once you start thinking about it in more detail - it is really flawed...

But I would welcome wind power and it could be done really nicely in spaced out

My idea is to give some asteroids ladscape background on the surface instead of space void. It could have randomly generated weather, including rains and winds - wind generators could generate power if the current weather is windy

...but what isn`t OP in the game my dear friend :beguiled: The IcyFan :confused::confused::confused::lol:

Need more water geyser spawns, that`s not OP. Once I have more and nice cold water, then I want to build OP OP OP water wave generators consuming power ( waves look nice ) and a big hydro dam which generates power :biggrin-new:

Water Turbine is a great request for post number 11 @TuxSam123 :encouragement:

...also, still no fluid wood in the game :confused:

wind.gif Wind ( concept ) ...Also, need catz ! Catz eat Pacu :rolleyes:

catlaptop.gifModern year 2000 cat operating "The Wave Collider"

3 hours ago, pether said:

With current ONI physics (not something that can be easily changed without flipping everything upside-down), hydroelectric power would be soooo OP that all current feedback that solar power is too powerfull would be nothing compared to what would surge on forums if hydro power would be implemented. The idea emerges every now and then and at first it looks cool (I was thinking about it myself when I started playing ONI), but once you start thinking about it in more detail - it is really flawed...

But I would welcome wind power and it could be done really nicely in spaced out

My idea is to give some asteroids ladscape background on the surface instead of space void. It could have randomly generated weather, including rains and winds - wind generators could generate power if the current weather is windy

Hmm, are you sure about that? I believe that, to move a turbine to generate power, there would have to be a constant flow of water (not dripping water, flowing water). Also, you could argue that the Steam Turbine and many other things in the game are very op.

3 minutes ago, TuxSam123 said:

Hmm, are you sure about that? I believe that, to move a turbine to generate power, there would have to be a constant flow of water (not dripping water, flowing water). Also, you could argue that the Steam Turbine and many other things in the game are very op.

Yes, I am sure.

You can generate constant flow of water using airlock door pumps without any power required. Not to dive into esher waterfalls mechanics. Also, you could stack as many hydro generators as you would like anywhere on the map, so it is free energy with no drawbacks or real requirements.

At this moment people start arguing that they can be somehow be nerfed or balanced, but the result of such discussion is that either hydro generators would remain OP over 9000 or they would be too crapy to ever consider using them.

And no, compared to hydro generators, steam turbines and solar panels are not even half as usefull. All those aka "OP" stuff requires something difficult and breaks quite easily compared to build-and-forget-require-nothing-give-everything-OP hydro generators. The only thing more OP than this bad boy would be only dev generator that is not part of the game but serves as dev tool in debug mode only.

this is a game designed around a vertical 2D design, it's not really possible to balance something that just creates energy from things moving down vertically when the only 2 options are down or up. Also with the size of the maps you could just create an infinite source of energy with chaining hydro generators into each other then utilizing game mechanics that were designed without this system in mind to create more energy. Yes the argument could be made to then balance those systems around this one new piece of tech but that still doesn't change that with the way maps are designed it just would be too powerful. if this were dont starve or some other horizontal 2d setting (or limited 3d setting) then sure, just find a waterfall or create a dam.

16 minutes ago, pether said:

Yes, I am sure.

You can generate constant flow of water using airlock door pumps without any power required. Not to dive into esher waterfalls mechanics. Also, you could stack as many hydro generators as you would like anywhere on the map, so it is free energy with no drawbacks or real requirements.

At this moment people start arguing that they can be somehow be nerfed or balanced, but the result of such discussion is that either hydro generators would remain OP over 9000 or they would be too crapy to ever consider using them.

And no, compared to hydro generators, steam turbines and solar panels are not even half as usefull. All those aka "OP" stuff requires something difficult and breaks quite easily compared to build-and-forget-require-nothing-give-everything-OP hydro generators. The only thing more OP than this bad boy would be only dev generator that is not part of the game but serves as dev tool in debug mode only.

You are right indeed. But wouldn't they generate a big amount of heat? Also, they would be big and massive, and require large amounts of resources, and a very big space, similar to their real ife counterparts. There could also be a minimum amount of water needed, like 10 kg (an example).

Just now, TuxSam123 said:

You are right indeed. But wouldn't they generate a big amount of heat? Also, they would be big and massive, and require large amounts of resources, and a very big space, similar to their real ife counterparts. There could also be a minimum amount of water needed, like 10 kg (an example).

doors don't generate heat, and also not that big space wise but it could be scaled up to whatever size you want because the only limiting factor is the size of the map.

2 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

this is a game designed around a vertical 2D design, it's not really possible to balance something that just creates energy from things moving down vertically when the only 2 options are down or up. Also with the size of the maps you could just create an infinite source of energy with chaining hydro generators into each other then utilizing game mechanics that were designed without this system in mind to create more energy. Yes the argument could be made to then balance those systems around this one new piece of tech but that still doesn't change that with the way maps are designed it just would be too powerful. if this were dont starve or some other horizontal 2d setting (or limited 3d setting) then sure, just find a waterfall or create a dam.

Hmm. You are also right. Yet you forgot to mention left and right.

Just now, crbd115 said:

doors don't generate heat, and also not that big space wise but it could be scaled up to whatever size you want because the only limiting factor is the size of the map.

Not doors, the generator itself. The friction generated by the rotation of the turbine is certainly going to generate some heat.

1 minute ago, TuxSam123 said:

Now we are entering the barging phase ;)

Heat will be carried away by water. And yes, you can make it too big, to expensive and using too precious resources, but now your generator is too crapy to be ever considered...

The only scenario I could see it SOMEHOW work would be singular POI item that somehow works with water flow, but still I'm not sure if the idea couldn't be broken to easily into OP madness

Hmm. You are also right. Yet you forgot to mention left and right.

yes but left and right in a 2d vertical plane, is not the same as a horizontal plane, and  up and down are the ones critical to this proposed idea of yours.

Just now, pether said:

Now we are entering the barging phase ;)

Heat will be carried away by water. And yes, you can make it too big, to expensive and using too precious resources, but now your generator is too crapy to be ever considered...

The only scenario I could see it SOMEHOW work would be singular POI item that somehow works with water flow, but still I'm not sure if the idea couldn't be broken to easily into OP madness

Fine, you are right. Let's end this. This nitpicking is killing me!

1 minute ago, crbd115 said:

yes but left and right in a 2d vertical plane, is not the same as a horizontal plane, and  up and down are the ones critical to this proposed idea of yours.

Yes

Fine, you are right. Let's end this. This nitpicking is killing me!

Sorry, every hydrogenerator discussion looks the same...

But wind turbines are something that we can discuss without burrying the idea alive :)

1 minute ago, pether said:

But wind turbines are something that we can discuss without burrying the idea alive :)

Hmm, you are right! Yet this idea is also flawed because there is no atmosphere, nor weather in the game. Though in the worlds of the base game, planets are shown to have an atmosphere.

Just now, pether said:

Yea I don't know how to feel about this because on the one hand I like the idea of being able to have a planetoid with an atmosphere but at the same time then there's a ton of heat being created by every rocket that lands down or launches from that planetoid and a lot of gas with nowhere to go.

2 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

Yea I don't know how to feel about this because on the one hand I like the idea of being able to have a planetoid with an atmosphere but at the same time then there's a ton of heat being created by every rocket that lands down or launches from that planetoid and a lot of gas with nowhere to go.

Hmm, since there is no star close to the planetoids, they are very cold. Their atmosphere could also be very cold! Also, they have an abysallite layer at the top now. So, the cold atmosphere doesn't affect them.

25 minutes ago, TuxSam123 said:

Hmm, since there is no star close to the planetoids, they are very cold. Their atmosphere could also be very cold! Also, they have an abysallite layer at the top now. So, the cold atmosphere doesn't affect them.

sure but you also would eventually break this abysallite layer at least enough to get through to whatever is inside. Also I think your underestimating just how much energy is given off by a rocket typically. I would assume the atmosphere temp could take about 6 or so rocket launches/landings before its fairly hot. Though I'm not sure how the gas issue would work, for simulating an asteroid in space with no atmosphere is pretty easy since its all a vaccuum but one with an atmosphere means the gas would spread evenly through the whole surface but we only get to use a small part of it.

Anything generating energy from flow or pressure of gases or liquids is a no-go, because we have completely free (energy-wise) door pumps. That kills hydro and wind immediately. Anything working with gravity (includes solids) is also a no-go for the same reason.

All the other options, we have in some form or other.

wind, in practice it is impossible, since there is no atmosphere.
hydroelectric, in practice it is impossible due to the physics of the oni

but then we get in with the possibility!

wind would be a good thing, since they are making radiation imagine solar winds bringing even more radiation :O or worse an electromagnetic storm and destroying unprotected machines :O
it would be a good idea to create a machine that emulates an atmosphere, it would be kind of time to "earth" the asteroids, at the same time as reducing the space radiation

hydroelectric does not need physics to function, in terms of the game it is easy for you to "create a machine" that simulates the entrance of water and simulates a waterfall (all in a machine only in animation) and we also have water with "physics falling " xD, then just connect the coils and helices, for that you would also have to add new high pressure pumps and this was the fine adjustment you would need to be able to work

Of course, the ultimate renewable in the game is rocket power.  You can build a chimney and harvest unlimited power and water with steam turbines.  And since you can just send rockets to orbit and back, one steam engine, once started, can run dozens of flights per cycle.  In the base game, this was an epic feat to accomplish, but now, it just feels almost silly.

1 hour ago, TuxSam123 said:

Not doors, the generator itself. The friction generated by the rotation of the turbine is certainly going to generate some heat

So now I can also run steam generators off of my water generators? Even more OP :P

A gust of wind could whip away all the resources laying on the map top of asteroid "Thumbleweed", this could also give back a tiny bit of frame rate/game speed. "Thumbleweed" has an atmosphere, its also smells rotten from all the surface sulfur bubbly ponds and triggers the dupe puke animation lots of times.

The "Hydrogenerator" can be a designed building, which has a visual water inlet. Any kind of gravity or whatever is faked, the water gets sucked in as graphic animation at the top and pops out at the bottom...Looking like a drain. Its just a relocation of fluid resources. Makes 50 Watts power, as 3x2 tile building. The fancy "High tower drain" version is 20x5 tiles and makes 200 Watt. If one wants to add a trait, make the water a bit warmer as it comes out at the bottom.

The whole game is faked together, as its created by humans :lol:

@TuxSam123 hold you line, never give up :encouragement: If they want to take your apart...at the end you can always resort to cat memes.

tumbleweed.gif  Live CCTV from Planet Thumbleweed

Critter Twitter "Thumbleweed", half critter, half plant . Hatches mini "Thumbleweedies".

"Thumbleweeds" will attempt to mate with Gassy Moo`s on visual confirmation ! @Lbphero

image.png.92be74c5beaefcc07fdde9b40e5a22d8.png

Archived