Beefalo Domestication Loss is a Joke Now!

With the Wes rework, Klei also "Fixed a bug causing beefalos to lose domestication 10 times faster than they should". Beefalo already lost domestication rather slowly at first. Now, it's nothing.

Below is what changed in the domesticatable.lua file. The variable DECAY_TASK_PERIOD = 10. So before, the domestication loss was straight up multiplied by 10 before being applied. Seems pretty intentional to me but apparently it was a bug.

DoDeltaDomestication(self, CalculateLoss(GetTime(), self.lastdomesticationgain) * DECAY_TASK_PERIOD)
      DoDeltaDomestication(self, CalculateLoss(GetTime(), self.lastdomesticationgain))

Every 10 seconds, unless the beefalo is sleeping or near a salt lick, it either gains or loses domestication. It gains domestication unless its both unmounted AND unfed. In this rare case, the beefalo loses domestication.

TOTAL_DAY_TIME = 480
BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_LOSE_DOMESTICATION = -1/(total_day_time*4),
BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_MAX_LOSS_DAYS = 10,

local function CalculateLoss(currenttime, lastgaintime)
    local delta = currenttime-lastgaintime
    local ratio = math.min(delta/(TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_MAX_LOSS_DAYS*TUNING.TOTAL_DAY_TIME), 1.0)
    return TUNING.BEEFALO_DOMESTICATION_LOSE_DOMESTICATION * ratio
end

So let's say you just left your beefalo. The delta value is 10. The ratio would then be 10/(10*480) or 1/480. And 1/480 * 1/(4*480) = 0.000001085. This is 1/9216%. Domestication gain is always 1/9.6%, which is almost 1000x more than this loss.

Domestication loss does increase each time, though. The formula can be simplified to just number of 10 seconds since last gain divided by 9216%. A full day of domestication loss is a total of -0.1276% lost. This is slightly more than one point of domestication gain. 2 days of loss can still be made up in less than a minute of riding. 5 whole days of loss costs 5 minutes of gain. Previously, the beefalo would lose all it's domestication in about 8.9 days and go feral. Now? Now that just takes 2 days of riding to recover.

After 10 days of loss, domestication loss maxes out at about 0.052% every 10 seconds. Still, precisely half of what would be gained.

Salt licks pause domestication loss if your beefalo is nearby, and they can last 15 days. They pause something that's almost unnoticeable to begin with. They're useful if you're keeping multiple tamed beefalos in a solo world. Otherwise, keep them with your saddlehorns.

EDIT: By the way, it now takes 45 days of domestication loss for a fully tamed beefalo to go feral.

Some people were asking for Beefs, once domesticated, not to lose any domestication at all. Seems they got "the next best thing". And even so, on pubs Beefs are further ignored from domestication pov. Thus, probably is a bon now "it now takes 45 days of domestication loss for a fully tamed beefalo".

43 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

5 whole days of loss costs 5 minutes of gain.

This alone sold me on considering getting a beefalo. My main gripe is I always heavily disliked how bad the system punished you for leaving your beefalo somewhere while you were doing things (left your beefalo for 20 minutes? Get ready to spend 2 days recovering the domestication loss!)

Considering the benefits it can grant and what the upkeep would be, this definitely seems pretty manageable for what you gain from it.

16 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

it was to punishing for the "little reward"

I mean it was already punishing enough because of the fact the beefalo can die and you lose Everything from that, and taming prior really didn’t help with that.

Never found the reward too poor (even at the worst case, a way to transport heavy objects fast is nice), it’s just that there were two major obstacles if you ever did tame one, and it being cut down to one is helpful.

47 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

I mean it was already punishing enough because of the fact the beefalo can die and you lose Everything from that, and taming prior really didn’t help with that.

Never found the reward too poor (even at the worst case, a way to transport heavy objects fast is nice), it’s just that there were two major obstacles if you ever did tame one, and it being cut down to one is helpful.

ye, for that i used "". I just mean that was too much risk and too much inconvenient things (losing domestication, that could die, needing resources to keep it, pre yotb qol like being able to pick stuff without unmounting, etc) to a reward that doesnt break the game

A few days ago before this patch I was planting a few things in a cave, and my fully tamed beef was getting in the middle of the way.
Since it didn't let me see the grid of the ground I had to put him to a side briefly, it was going to be probably a minute or 2, but because of a technical problem with the server I got DCed, and I re-connected about an in game day after I dropped his bell. When I got back, he was already at 65% taming (probably because of the bug).

Honestly that's too punishing, I know a lot of people enjoy hardcore things but beefalo taming is a tedious chore to begin with, and losing so much for a tiny problem, even after you went all the way and made it to the top, was just not fun. 

I celebrate this patch immensely.

8 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

A few days ago before this patch I was planting a few things in a cave, and my fully tamed beef was getting in the middle of the way.
Since it didn't let me see the grid of the ground I had to put him to a side briefly, it was going to be probably a minute or 2, but because of a technical problem with the server I got DCed, and I re-connected about an in game day after I dropped his bell. When I got back, he was already at 65% taming (probably because of the bug).

Honestly that's too punishing, I know a lot of people enjoy hardcore things but beefalo taming is a tedious chore to begin with, and losing so much for a tiny problem, even after you went all the way and made it to the top, was just not fun. 

I celebrate this patch immensely.

That’s very strange. Before the update, 1 in-game day of loss should still only have costed about 1.28% domestication. That was either a separate bug or it was more like 5 days.

Archived