Hi everyone! I'm back from spring break vacay! Sorry if my previous posts upset you. If my arguments don't hold up, my apologies, I joined in 2020, and to be honest I haven't passed day 30 by myself (go ahead laugh it out). But that's not what you're here for with this post, you're here for year of the tiger shark. For people who don't know what the DST Chinese new year events are (despite YoTB ending in march), or if you have no idea what the chinese zodiacs even are, let me quickly explain.

The Chinese zodiacs participated in a race for this emperor, the first 12 who finished got a place in the chinese zodiac. The winners in order are:

the Rat, the ox, the tiger, the bunny, the dragon, the snake, the horse, the monkey, the rooster, the dog, and the pig.

Since 2016/2017, klei has been doing chinese new year events for these zodiacs.

The events that have happened so far are, the year of the gobbler, the year of the varg, the year of the pig king, the year of the carrat, and the year of the beefalo

As you probably noticed if you paid attention, the next one would be the year of the tiger. 'but there is no tiger mob in Dont starve!' says big babies like I used to be (3 months ago) who only know DST, and not the Don't starve DLCs, Shipwrecked and hamlet, where there IS a tiger mob: The Tiger Shark.

This may be a stretch, but the only way I see Klei being able to do Year of the Tiger, is to bring in the Tiger Shark. Perhaps as a perminant boss after the event, reintroduced as a Chinese new year event boss for the event, or perhaps the Tiger Shark would be a Year of the tiger exclusive, though this one seems less likely. My guess is it may be another raid boss. but that's just my opinion.

What do you think about my theory on the Tiger Shark coming to DST? Do you agree with the Tiger Shark coming back? or do you think they may do something else for year of the Tiger? if so, what do you think they'll do?

That would be Interesting, But I think That Year of the Tiger would probably be about Catcoons. Since they're the closest we got to an actual Cat like creature in-game, Unless their is another feline like mob I'm not thinking of. But I would Like maybe a reference to The TigerShark maybe like a Sail or a backpack skin! :) 

Well in the chinese zodiac legend, the house cat never made it to the end, because the rat pushed it into the water, when riding on the ox, so the cat, which the catcoon is more like, did not get a year for it, so it can't be a catcoon. It has to be a tiger specifically. I do like the idea of a tigershark style item or character skin.

1 hour ago, Superwolfkid said:

That would be Interesting, But I think That Year of the Tiger would probably be about Catcoons. Since they're the closest we got to an actual Cat like creature in-game, Unless their is another feline like mob I'm not thinking of. But I would Like maybe a reference to The TigerShark maybe like a Sail or a backpack skin! :) 

20 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

Well in the chinese zodiac legend, the house cat never made it to the end, because the rat pushed it into the water, when riding on the ox, so the cat, which the catcoon is more like, did not get a year for it, so it can't be a catcoon. It has to be a tiger specifically.

Good point on that actually, I didn't even know that... either Klei will still probably use catcoons anyway, or maybe create a new Tiger like creature since I can't really see how Klei could add the Tiger Shark in the game, (especially with how different Boats work in shipwrecked and together and how destructive Tiger Shark normally is on water...)

1 minute ago, Superwolfkid said:

Good point on that actually, I didn't even know that... either Klei will still probably use catcoons anyway, or maybe create a new Tiger like creature since I can't really see how Klei could add the Tiger Shark in the game, (especially with how different Boats work in shipwrecked and together and how destructive Tiger Shark normally is on water...)

Dragonfly was a seasonal boss in RoG, now it's a full on raid boss with totally different mechanics, they could very easily change the Tiger Shark to better fit into DST

Who knows we might get a new tiger mob for the summer solstice. Before the year of carrat came around no one knew were going to get a rat mob. Also tigershark would have to get all of its drops repurposed, not that it cant happen. The super spyglass would have very limited uses (unless we get more ocean content), the dumbrella would be redundant and the sea sack would be out shined by the buffed insulated pack.

5 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Who know we might get a new tiger mob for the summer solstice. Before the year of carrat came around no one knew were going to get a rat mob. Also tigershark would have to get all of its drops repurposed, not that it cant happen. The super spyglass would have very limited uses (unless we get more ocean content), the dumbrella would be redundant and the sea sack would be out shined by the buffed insulated pack.

True, True. Remember, this is speculation, we cannot predict everything klei might do. The super spyglass could be useful for filling in the map and possibly finding the lunar island, and would probably have more uses being in multiplayer. The Dumbrella could maybe be a more durable eyebrella and be year round so people who start or join in spring have an opportunity to get water immunity without needing to wait for next year for a deerclops. While yes the sea sack would be outclassed it could be changed or just replaced by a new craft. Not a big deal.

I just realized that the acronym for Year of The Tiger Shark is yotts XD

I kinda want to see some new enemy types in the game that are variations of already existing mobs- With New Looks... New Abilities.. Etc.

Now- let me dig up this interesting picture of actual dev concept art-

027F7BE7-0829-4337-9C04-C4461547B1E4.thumb.jpeg.87a2acfd2598ca2629e5257e2ad47d4d.jpeg

“Creatures should be Mutated by the Moonglass & become hostile to the player”

This basically means: normally peaceful critters like Glommer can be transformed into some hostile variation of itself by being near Moonglass.

And that’s something I would absolutely LOVE to see, I would probably even pay good money for this as a major DLC expansion..

Tired of fighting the same old Deerclops? Drop some Moonglass near it and watch it transform into Its Moonclops variant.

I’m pretty sure that Year of the Snake will bring Hamlet/Shipwrecked snakes to DST.

Theres absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t...

Tiger may bring actual Tiger mobs of some sort.

But personally I would like to see some weird mob with wacky movement- like maybe something that moves around like dropping a slinky down a set of steps.. that’s body can stretch like silly putty..

I don’t know- Sounds like a “Clay Varg” upgrade... but either way I’d love for the “Moonglass turns creatures hostile to the player” part to actually be put into use.

Yep, next year up is my Year of the (Whatever)--I was born in the Year of the Tiger.  Aka KITTY!!!

ahem.  Whichever one they go with, it oughta be at least a little bit cute, since, y'know, kitty. Whether it's a catcoon

kittyoasis.png.ab2a29440be526c08f181a1827ce7e19.png

or a Tiger Shark

hisharkkitties.png.f8c13780960aaa878e4c7ff113b4b0f5.png

I, for one, will welcome our new feline overlords.  :)

...Notorious

I love how this has kinda turned into people hoping for a shartkitten skin for the kittykit or the vargling instead of people thinking about whether or not the tiger shark may show up for Yott

51 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Except when they actually get close enough to attack they roll on their tummies for a scratch instead

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I kinda want to see some new enemy types in the game that are variations of already existing mobs- With New Looks... New Abilities.. Etc.

Now- let me dig up this interesting picture of actual dev concept art-

027F7BE7-0829-4337-9C04-C4461547B1E4.thumb.jpeg.87a2acfd2598ca2629e5257e2ad47d4d.jpeg

“Creatures should be Mutated by the Moonglass & become hostile to the player”

This basically means: normally peaceful critters like Glommer can be transformed into some hostile variation of itself by being near Moonglass.

And that’s something I would absolutely LOVE to see, I would probably even pay good money for this as a major DLC expansion..

Tired of fighting the same old Deerclops? Drop some Moonglass near it and watch it transform into Its Moonclops variant.

I’m pretty sure that Year of the Snake will bring Hamlet/Shipwrecked snakes to DST.

Theres absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t...

Tiger may bring actual Tiger mobs of some sort.

But personally I would like to see some weird mob with wacky movement- like maybe something that moves around like dropping a slinky down a set of steps.. that’s body can stretch like silly putty..

I don’t know- Sounds like a “Clay Varg” upgrade... but either way I’d love for the “Moonglass turns creatures hostile to the player” part to actually be put into use.

Why does it take so long for me to know about new developments? XD I really like the concept of formerly passive or neutral mobs becoming agitated or changed due to the moonglass substance

And I agree this could be a DST DLC

OH wait. DST: Moonglass Mutations???

I seriously want some weird Tiger/slinky looking animal abomination.. a weird, alien thing that moves like dropping a slinky down a set of stairs- kinda like Tyger with his spring loaded bouncy tail: But this versions entire body would be like that spring- only it’s head and back half would be solid and now that I’ve described it..

Spoiler

26C33163-3687-4944-8122-066D7886D065.thumb.png.e5212e49890b2ba25571c5f576da3ab4.png

Yeah like that but Weirder looking.. and instead of moving with it’s feet: It has no feet... and has to move like a Slinky: Meaning it’s face plants into the dirt, before it’s back half crosses over it.

Bare with me my photo editing skills are not that great... but something uhh like this:

Basically I guess it’s a uhh Tiger Shark Snake...?

4FE4B54E-AB78-452F-B569-4179336330C2.thumb.png.9fc5856c1df0c977fe6e62e83c45717f.png

5 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Maybe even once your entire ocean is revealed spyglass could mark bottles in areas you use it on. 

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I seriously want some weird Tiger/slinky looking animal abomination.. a weird, alien thing that moves like dropping a slinky down a set of stairs- kinda like Tyger with his spring loaded bouncy tail: But this versions entire body would be like that spring- only it’s head and back half would be solid and now that I’ve described it..

Reveal hidden contents

26C33163-3687-4944-8122-066D7886D065.thumb.png.e5212e49890b2ba25571c5f576da3ab4.png

Yeah like that but Weirder looking.. and instead of moving with it’s feet: It has no feet... and has to move like a Slinky: Meaning it’s face plants into the dirt, before it’s back half crosses over it.

Bare with me my photo editing skills are not that great... but something uhh like this:

Basically I guess it’s a uhh Tiger Shark Snake...?

4FE4B54E-AB78-452F-B569-4179336330C2.thumb.png.9fc5856c1df0c977fe6e62e83c45717f.png

Cool idea @GelatinousCube (Love the dnd reference in ur name) and while the idea of a slinky like creature intrigues me, Idk it would be best for a tiger to bounce around on its face.

Actually maybe it could be more like the slinky dog from Toy Story (Forgot his name lmao)

48 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

So, Tigger from winnie pooh?

Nah not Tigger (though that’s where the photoshopped tail is stollen from) 

I was thinking more along the lines of a Super Mario Bros type creature enemy.

just some weird and wacky slinky/snake Tiger thing.

I would prefer it be a Tiger thing- As it would just be hilarious seeing this shark/Tiger tooth looking Tiger spring snake creature springing up launching itself into the air and towards you with a snake like “lounge” attack with a giant smile on its face.

(smiling bullet flashbacks from Super Mario)

The only other mob this idea might fit is some sort of walking vine plant critter.

Would be a funny nod towards Tigger though to have actually slinky/snake Tiger creatures.

think surface depth worms.. or something.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Nah not Tigger (though that’s where the photoshopped tail is stollen from) 

I was thinking more along the lines of a Super Mario Bros type creature enemy.

just some weird and wacky slinky/snake Tiger thing.

I would prefer it be a Tiger thing- As it would just be hilarious seeing this shark/Tiger tooth looking Tiger spring snake creature springing up launching itself into the air and towards you with a snake like “lounge” attack with a giant smile on its face.

(smiling bullet flashbacks from Super Mario)

The only other mob this idea might fit is some sort of walking vine plant critter.

Would be a funny nod towards Tigger though to have actually slinky/snake Tiger creatures.

think surface depth worms.. or something.

Again, love the concept of a slinky style mob that kinda bounces toward you. And I think it would be funny if it was some tiger mob, but IDT it would be any more than a little joke if it were to be implemented. I still think my theory, if you can even call it that, holds up, unless they pull a fast one on us an introduce a tigger mob sometime this year, but at least if they do that we know they're pulling a Carrat on us.

Archived