My thoughts on boss fights

I am not fan of souls like games I didnt even play before. BUT its obivious DST boss fights are not fun to fight against(except klaus he has pretty intense fight).

Lets take as example Bee Queen, its too hard to kill her without manipulating her minions with walls or using game features to our advantage such as making queen chase us to max range and when she returns back, we start to hitting her.

I'd prefer to BQ has very high damage attack patterns instead of hit and go back. It would way more fun to play dodging her attack and skills to get a chance to hit her instead of tanking her and etc.

What do you guys think about that?

Sorry for bad english

Exploiting the world around you in order to punch above your weight class is, in my opinion, what the game is all about.

Most of the boss fights exclusive to DST like Bee Queen are balanced around having multiple people as well, so when you only have one person it's definitely going to feel off.

3 minutes ago, SirToastyToes said:

Exploiting the world around you in order to punch above your weight class is, in my opinion, what the game is all about.

Most of the boss fights exclusive to DST like Bee Queen are balanced around having multiple people as well, so when you only have one person it's definitely going to feel off.

Yes it is. But isnt it better to have fun fights instead of bugging mobs AI with walls ?

Speaking of which Klaus fight is takes long time to defeat but it is still fun and possible to play solo. If you are good at remembering patterns and dodging them, then you dont need that much resorces which is very rewarding to develop such a skill

BQ offers you another brand of attacks (and strategies) involving minions - and in fact her attack does significant damage if not prepared, 60 dmg points, coupled with stun-lock from minions if not properly dealing with them. Is a refreshing variety for the hit-dodge-repeat usual pattern Seasonal bosses have for example. To me it seems you desire just some other Deerclops with wings regarding dmg output and kiting strat?! Likewise you need not exploit Grumbles with walls or the like, can just bait, outrun, land some hits on BQ, repeat. Or go with Wendy & Abi. Or Winona Catapults trap. Or Wortox and teleporting strategy. Or even Walter sniping with Marble Pellets (long long fight, but feasible). That's the beauty of DST: one has a myriad of ways to tackle a given problem, including exploiting pathfinder.

6 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

BQ offers you another brand of attacks (and strategies) involving minions - and in fact her attack does significant damage if not prepared, 60 dmg points, coupled with stun-lock from minions if not properly dealing with them. Is a refreshing variety for the hit-dodge-repeat usual pattern Seasonal bosses have for example. To me it seems you desire just some other Deerclops with wings regarding dmg output and kiting strat?! Likewise you need not exploit Grumbles with walls or the like, can just bait, outrun, land some hits on BQ, repeat. Or go with Wendy & Abi. Or Winona Catapults trap. Or Wortox and teleporting strategy. Or even Walter sniping with Marble Pellets (long long fight, but feasible). That's the beauty of DST: one has a myriad of ways to tackle a given problem, including exploiting pathfinder.

Actually I want something like klaus fight. Klaus is not have dodging and hitting fight his long rage attack and spells are the salt and pepper of the fight. I prefer more from boss than auto attack. Lets imagine something like Jellyfish in boss form. It splashes water all around and puts electric on them. If you managed to stay dry you will not take damage, see? Its just boring to exploiting the game mechanics.

I played the abigail and health boost strat too but tbh it wasnt much fun

as an advice, you can use fire staffs to reduce her hp when you cant hit her, wait to spring to have more damage (morning star, voltgoat jelly or electric darts), build warriors mobs arround or use pan flaute to skip the harder parts of the fight

beequeen isnt the most funny fight of the game but neither the less boring and her minion mechanic is unique since she spawns more minions than a spider queen

I assume you’re playing by yourself.

Generally, most of the bosses in the game come under the assumption that you’ve got a group of players helping you out.

Since you’re playing alone, you will have to go the extra mile to deal with these bosses.

I'm pretty sure that most of the DST-only bosses are designed to fight as a group. Since not everyone plays the game with a 4-6 people gang, I agree with you , as solo or even as a duo, most boss fights are a pain to fight and not fun without the bunnymen / wall tactics / sh*t ton of catapults.

What bee queens fight could be:

The bees surround the player with more bee rings to fight through as the number of players increases.

I agree every boss could be as dynamic as klaus. 

My dad was watching me kiting one time with the back and forth, and back and forth.

And he said "That is the most boring game I have ever seen you play". Lmao

I've gotten so used to it I forgot what it looks like to other people. 

I like Don't Starve Together boss fights for the most part. Unlike many games you have to research many of the bosses before having any chance against them. And that's okay, the bosses have all sorts of mechanics that generally do make them unique and fun.

In terms of difficulty, I do want to criticise the Bee Queen. Solo, she (in my experience) is too difficult. Generally you either do some cheese, or spend 30 minutes running around so you can get a single hit/tank her and then repeat. With increasing players, I find her difficulty decaying very fast. Just one more player helping (in my experience) makes one of the hardest fights an absolute breeze. I understand the balancing of the Bee Queen isn't an easy thing to do, but stuff like the (HORRIBLE!!) honey trail typically does a lot with one player, and little vs more than one. I think the obvious suggestion is a varied amount of bees dependent on the number of nearby players, but I would like to suggest something along what you said. I like her weird movement patterns, and adding stuff such as targeting players that are retreating or alone, retreating when her bees die for a few seconds or when she takes a large amount of damage in quick succession, I feel would go a long way. Subtle changes if possible. I can't think of many ways to make solo fighting easier with more ways to do it than just running back and forth other than ditching the honey trail, but it is possible to kite, so I won't suggest it's removal.

With that being said, the Bee Queen has a lot of redeemable qualities, I like her power despite no area of effect attack, the flying is convenient for anti cheese, I like how she makes the bonnet useful to make, and her loot is top tier. 

13 hours ago, Resul said:

I am not fan of souls like games I didnt even play before.

13 hours ago, Resul said:

I'd prefer to BQ has very high damage attack patterns instead of hit and go back. It would way more fun to play dodging her attack and skills to get a chance to hit her instead of tanking her and etc.

You're not a fan of Souls like games so you're suggesting that Bee Queen behaves more like a Souls boss?

9 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

What bee queens fight could be:

The bees surround the player with more bee rings to fight through as the number of players increases.

I agree every boss could be as dynamic as klaus. 

My dad was watching me kiting one time with the back and forth, and back and forth.

And he said "That is the most boring game I have ever seen you play". Lmao

I've gotten so used to it I forgot what it looks like to other people. 

That boss battle makes Pikmin 3 look like the most boring game I've ever seen. Literally just holding right on the analog stick for awhile waiting for the bees to go out then mashing the throw button and watching them attack the boss, and repeating that for 7 minutes.

15 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

That boss battle makes Pikmin 3 look like the most boring game I've ever seen. Literally just holding right on the analog stick for awhile waiting for the bees to go out then mashing the throw button and watching them attack the boss, and repeating that for 7 minutes.

Uh, you realize we fight by walking back in forth every battle and every time for dozens of minutes... Right? Also, pikmin 3 (just like dont starve) can be considered a time management game. That boss isn't hard, what's hard is trying to reach it in one day or you end up having to sacrifice another day to it.

A toadstool fight can last over 10 minutes, of the same repeated kiting technique.  

I'd appreciate it if you did a little research before talking about something you have no clue about. As for boring, well that's your opinion.

As usual, you have also seemed to completely miss the point. Bee queen can assert more control of her bees to make the fight more interesting. 

I just realized, did my father calling DST boring make you upset? Wow. Dude... nevermind. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record I don't think kiting in dst is boring nor am I trying to "fix" it. Fighting Klaus is so exiting that I simply wish other boss battles were similarly dynamic. 

21 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Uh, you realize we fight by walking back in forth every battle and every time for dozens of minutes... Right?

Do you honestly not see the difference between moving in two directions with specific timing and just moving in one direction? DST has bad combat but by comparison to that video it looks magnificent.

Rest of your comment is nonsensical trolling as usual. Not sure why I unblocked you.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Do you honestly not see the difference between moving in two directions with specific timing and just moving in one direction? DST has bad combat but by comparison to that video it looks magnificent.

Apples and oranges mate.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Rest of your comment is nonsensical trolling as usual. Not sure why I unblocked you.

*shrugs*

8 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You're not a fan of Souls like games so you're suggesting that Bee Queen behaves more like a Souls boss?

Souls is not the only game that have good boss fights. You may heard terraria, minecraft, gears of war and horizon zero dawn.

These are different genre games and you dont have to exploit the AI to beat them. It is possible to make fun boss fights in any game

All of you guys get me wrong. I didnt mention that dst bosses are hard neither I said i am playing alone. I play with my 2 other friend. THE THING I WANT TO EXPRESS IS BOSS FIGHTS ARE BOORING AS HELL, NOT HARD JUST BOORING. I want them to a milestone fun to achieve not an unwanted task to do for better equipment.

Archived