[Game Update] - 458469

On 4/8/2021 at 11:48 AM, SinancoTheBest said:

1930610783_PlayercountDST22PMGMT.thumb.png.b074c2d316cb383a2a174b82c954a3a1.png

Oh God, that graph is physically and spiritually painful to look at. Someone, please, buff literally ANYONE so that the Wendy playtime can drop. 
Also, how is Walter higher up than Willow? Why is Willow so low? Why is Ms. Wickerbottom so low? 
This graph is a nightmare for multiple reasons. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

Oh God, that graph is physically and spiritually painful to look at. Someone, please, buff literally ANYONE so that the Wendy playtime can drop. 
Also, how is Walter higher up than Willow? Why is Willow so low? Why is Ms. Wickerbottom so low? 

remember, willow still gets spawnkicked and has mods to autokick(though winona seems really high)

5 hours ago, Wendy C. said:

Why make everyone op instead of nerfing the dumb character? :)

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Why make everyone op instead of nerfing the dumb character? :)

Better question: why’s the game got to continue to have dumb enemies?

Seriously.. most enemy mobs can be summed up as hit a few times, walk away to avoid a single slow attack, rinse repeat.. what’s even WORSE is most mobs will even literally file into a single file line one behind the other if you just walk far enough away from them..

Enemies that SHOULD be circling around you and hitting you in every direction like your Worst day in Smite against a Pro Team.. are instead so dumb they file into a single file line waiting to hit you.

Spiders & Bee’s are the largest culprits of this.. 

Merms & Pigmen have slightly better A.I.

But the “Group Mobs” Abigail is designed to dominate- WES can also equally dominate by simply walking far enough away from them that they get into a pretty little line letting you hit and kill them one by one.

I’m having zero problems playing as Wes, yeah I’m not fighting dumb boss fights or whatever: But I didn’t even do that AS WENDY....

But as far as Day by Day survival/Exploration goes: It’s no harder for me to Survive as Wes as it is with Wendy.

If you REALLY want a Wendy or Wortox Nerf so bad..... consider creating a mod where neither one of them can wear any head or body armor.

I mean they are both OP enough you should be skilled enough with them to not even NEED head/ body armor right?? Right?! ;) 

Anyway- my playtime as Wes involves rushing Beefalo taming Day 1-2, people heavily heavily underestimate the Usefulness Beefalo have in this game- and even more important the cowbell trivializes most of that challenge now.

It’s as simple as Craft Science Machine, Craft Cowbell, Bond Beefalo, Feed a few sticks, Craft saddle, Reap Benefits!

What exactly are those Benefits for Wes? Well.. faster movement speed without having to lose sanity making balloons, high HP Mount that makes taking & dishing out damage easier, Can pick things like Cactus and Spiky bush with the damage impacting his trusty Mount instead of his low Hp, Portable Fuel & Warmth Source (Beefalo Poop & it’s shaved Fur)

You can’t really complain about how OP Wendy is when Enemy mobs are so dumb and easily exploitable, you can now passively grow foods almost anywhere you want in the world even during winter, getting yourself a high health point noble combat comrade that follows you everywhere is as simple as ringing a bell by its side.

The TL:DR- like it or not the entire game is getting significantly easier compared to its DS Solo counterpart.

• Sanity 1

16 hours ago, gaymime said:

(though winona seems really high)

I was wondering that, too! I myself am a Winona main, but I haven't really seen anything hinting at the idea that a lot of people played her... especially since most of the things on the forums I've seen regarding Winona seem to be people disliking her. Then again, I guess none of the Winona mains would really contribute to those conversations, now would they? :wilson_dorky:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

yeah because as we all know every pub wendy kills bee queen on day 5, nerfing her will surely make her playerbase dwindle

it wont be affect since she will still being great for noobs but will make her less freewin since you have a so difficult to kill body guard which makes you invulnerable for most dangers which isnt a good thing for new players who needs to learn combat. Her killing beequeen at day 5 isnt the problem

actually i dont expect her to be nerfed but has much more sense that just buffing all characters to the dumb level of wendy like the other user said

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

it wont be affect since she will still being great for noobs but will make her less freewin since you have a so difficult to kill body guard which makes you invulnerable for most dangers which isnt a good thing for new players who needs to learn combat. Her killing beequeen at day 5 isnt the problem

actually i dont expect her to be nerfed but has much more sense that just buffing all characters to the dumb level of wendy like the other user said

my point is 99% of her playerbase wouldn't stop playing her if she got nerfed

28 minutes ago, fierysage1 said:

I was wondering that, too! I myself am a Winona main, but I haven't really seen anything hinting at the idea that a lot of people played her... especially since most of the things on the forums I've seen regarding Winona seem to be people disliking her. Then again, I guess none of the Winona mains would really contribute to those conversations, now would they? :wilson_dorky:

i wonder if it is weighted to count pick'n'switch since i've seen her a few times on pubs but only ever as a temp(barring a single ghost troll)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gaymime said:

i wonder if it is weighted to count pick'n'switch since i've seen her a few times on pubs but only ever as a temp(barring a single ghost troll)

I actually wonder that as well. Why not ask?

@SinancoTheBest, since you're the one who posted this graph first, would you happen to know if it accounts for pick'n'switch players? Also, where did it come from? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fierysage1 said:

I actually wonder that as well. Why not ask?

@SinancoTheBest, since you're the one who posted this graph first, would you happen to know if it accounts for pick'n'switch players? Also, where did it come from? 

I get all my DST data from this tool that was published in the forums ions ago. Admittedly it has it flaws but it's rather accurate when it comes to character picks, server type and all. Sadly it wouldn't give any information about pick & switch meta; even if it did, I don't think people picking characters like Winona for pick and switch swinging the data enough to make a significant change.

Edited by SinancoTheBest
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2021 at 1:48 PM, SinancoTheBest said:

Wes totally needed and deserved a rework to separate himself from the Wilson-like gameplay. While this rework isn't perfect and arguably diminishes his stats much more than needed, it definitely helped distinguish him and gave him at least two nice unique tools to work with, being Speed and Party balloons. I wish they added a few more utility balloons like Balloon Saddle and didn't touch his stats but regardless it's a solid rework, just because you dislike the character doesn't mean there is "no reason". The least played character definitely deserves some spotlight and support.

1930610783_PlayercountDST22PMGMT.thumb.png.b074c2d316cb383a2a174b82c954a3a1.png

Yeah, I largely agree with this. It was definitely a step in the right direction in some aspects, but I don't feel like it was nearly enough. Speed Balloon and Party Balloon are two nice things to have, but they still never touched his regular balloons, and the balloon hat and suit aren't that great. :(

2 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

overpowered in what sense

free food, free protection against deadly mobs like monkeys, free hound protection, free distration bodyguard with 600 hp, between 10 and 40 damage and a free shield that if dies can be resummoned right after which kills the sense of a survival game since any noob will need to learn how to fight to survive and for an experience players kills the fun since abigail covers your mistakes making you suviving easily

and i only mentioned what i considere op in her but she can offer more things which, imo, are good but that numbers for a free bodyguard are a non sense. Is so hard to be killed with her shield and have a lot of dps without taking in count the petal debuff

klei simply taked the old abigail and made her inmortal outside of boss fights (and in boss fights you have tools to make her survive) instead of ajusting the old abi with her new perks and elixirs

klei likes to listen people even when they dont have reason and people cryed a lot when they couldnt kill 1334232 of spiders with wendy full hp with the hp based damage instead of keep playing her and see that that rework was also a huge buff. Now is even more braind dead character, even more than wigfrid and i thoght it was impossible

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wendy and Wigfrid are so high-up on bulk player-base's pickings because are more-or-less fun crutches in a game that otherwise has no tutorial, trial&error is very long, tedious and discouraging, plus isn't intuitive in the slightest, even more when considering raid-boss mechanics. You know what vast majority of casuals does when dying-and-dying-and-dying all over again, most times losing their world because they left it on default Survival or they're being booted from pubs after kicking the bucket 1-too-many times? They quit! And don't get me started on "watch a community video walk-trough or read DS/T wikia" nonsense. A game at its core isn't good if you have to read/watch 3rd party materials on it to progress in any meaningful way. I get it, DS began as an "inside job" from devs for devs/programmers, or should I say "code diggers" looking in game-files at programming level for hints/direct viewing of mechanics, not to mention we even have lore bits in said programming files - hence was more-or-less expected other programmers tinkering in game's data, was a game-progression model. One can say this was the pov from which DS began. And is ok as an indie, niche game. But with current iteration, of DST, it grew a lot into "normie" territory. And, as a consequence, lots of its dark upbeats were toned down, the "uncompromising" hardcore went out the window, catering more and more to "a wider audience", including from skill level pov. Hence, once more: present Wendy and Wigfrid power-level and specs. They address a certain, majority, demographic. Can say these 2 characters "have a lot of client demand" as products go. Don't like it, consider them "overpowered" and whatnot? Ok, don't play said characters, clearly are not cut for your preferences. Stick with whatever greases your proverbial wheel - like the bottom 5 characters: Wortox, Wormwood, Warly, Wurt, and Wes. They are bottom precisely because aren't noob/newbie/casual-friendly, at all in fact. They're more geared towards experienced advanced players that want some non-meta challenge. Each to their own. And, for better-or-worse, DST becomes "tea party with friends and animals" by virtue of getting broader casual audience, more even if played in a relaxed, non-combative manner (as broad casual audience tends to do). For the hardcore tiny minority of survival-enthusiasts (let's be real here, this is the case): niche non-meta characters, nomad play-style, scarcity, even mods (battle arenas, mob-waves galore, harder settings, true RNG and such) are valid options.

Meanwhile Wes still remains rock-bottom, will remain in future too, and outside sparse exceptions, no one will use his team-oriented perks - that's how people are in general, en-mass. And is ok: he is supposed to be "the" challenge character of DS/T's bunch.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*typo*
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

i understand it but a few tweks wouldnt hurt like having abigail a little more vulnerable with multiple enemies nerfing his shield (no sense to ahve old abi+342 new perks without ajusting any number) so a player mistake can actually punsish him isntead of being a free win without player imput

im okey, and i though is healthy for the game, to have characters that makes the game easier. I actually used these characters to learn  (wolfgang for raid bosses and wx for knowing how are the ruins) but isnt healthy, imo, to make free win characters. Even wortox needs to deal with his sanity constanly in exchange of having that op perks

at the end we have maxwell, warly?, wormwood?, walter and wes as more difficult characters and wolfgang, wx, wicker (i only add her here because her boss tentacle farms but her gameplay is basically a wilson), wendy (a classic character that was kinda challeging converted into a easy mode character), wigfrid, wortox as overpowered characters. Few balanced ones that half of them are wilson+wilson like characters (one is winona which also has op cathapults so...) and the other is weeber which a lot of people want a resfresh because "he needs it" like if he were umplayable just because wendy does his job without penalties or player imput. So, when i play and want to have fun, i have to choose a wilson like character, a challenge character that mostly they are nerfed wilsons (except for worm and warly which is actually so strong) or play without emotion with one of the stronger ones

as you said, with these changes klei want to grab more audience which, for a bussiness, is something normal but as costumers we should also complain when something is added or changed in a way that we dont like

and isnt like someone is asking to nerf into the bottom, just some number ajustments so she can keep being noob friendly (i repeat, it is a good thing) but also not animal crossing with tim burton cartoons like if there was no world gen settings and game breaker mods to make the game easier

edit: atleast wendy refresh bring fun strats, wes rework was so good making him a challenge character but feels underwhelming in the fun perks part. More tool would be awesome

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

13 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

how exactly, abi makes wendy a very unique combat character but she can't do many things other characters can't already

They use her efficiently and because Abi is strong, experienced players can use her full potential which makes Abi OP.