The price of DST skins are plunging

8 hours ago, FuriousChimera said:

Steam wallet fund is worthless - you can't get the money back to your bank account or trade anywhere except buying steam games. And to be able to use steam market trading, an account has to have 5 dollars and one purchase. So this "bot" spent minimum 50000 - 150000 dollars for basically worthless steamfund that can not trade to any bank account or real-life money whatsoever, all over 10000 - 30000 accounts, instead of buying a car, pay student loan, invest in stocks, real estate or put in the bank account for interested rate ?
Don't over complicated this, steam market plunge because Klei released weavable - skin packets based on the high demand. No one is dumb enough to spend a life-saving in indie game skins.

Why are you so confidently wrong?

It's not a minimum of $50,000, it's a minimum of $15,000 due to two copies for $5 and each copy being usable on 5 accounts from family sharing.

Steam Wallet funds are not worthless. You can, for example, spend about $2.49 on a key then sell that key to another player for $1-2 Paypal money.

Even assuming every single drop is worth only a single penny (once again, completely wrong and an absolute worst case scenario), those 30,000 accounts will generate a potential $18,000 per month if they get every drop or $9,000 per month if they only get the daily drops.

He said it's multiple people doing it so that $15,000 would be split among several people.

I think you should reassess who the dumb one is. Idling for hats is very profitable and a big problem in TF2 where literally 90% of Steam accounts with the game open are robots that idle for the free drops. I would not be surprised at all if DST had idlebots, and in fact I would be surprised if it didn't have any.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why are you so confidently wrong?

I re-read the steam market policy and I stand correct.

Spoiler

Capture1.thumb.PNG.2105c72ab6f24a9a217e309bf8e97ad1.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.9fbc9d038247b62d798d8de7a14ed644.PNG

A copy of the game does not provide access to steam market, so skin is worth nothing till 5 dollars fund added. Steam market will be disabled after a year if an account did not spend any funds, so these accounts need to sell everything before they reach one year to make a profit.
The fund for this to work would be 62500 to 187500 dollars since I did not include the game price in the first place.
Pretty sure there is no bot afking, because not only it is mechanically impossible, the number of players right now is 15000 players. I would be damn if bots are the entire player base.
 I do not doubt some people or game retailers can make some money from steam market trading. But the scenario of 10000 - 30000 accounts spending 62500 - 187500 dollars over an indie game market skins is unrealistic

1 hour ago, FuriousChimera said:

A copy of the game does not provide access to steam market, so skin is worth nothing till 5 dollars fund added. Steam market will be disabled after a year if an account did not spend any funds, so these accounts need to sell everything before they reach one year to make a profit.

You are kind of right but also wrong since there's one feature which restricted accounts do have and which can be abused by bots:

• Trading non-Steam Community items

Restricted accounts can trade DST skins with the main account who is able to offer these skins on the Steam Community Market for Steam funds, which can be used to buy Steam games or other skins, which can be sold to other players for real money. You'll need to wait 14 days until Steam transfers your items from one account to the other one and a few more days until you become able to trade those items, but it works.

8 hours ago, Notecja said:

(Also free copy is applied only once per account and game is for £10.99. You can't buy two another free copy from same account.).

You are totally wrong here:

There's no rule which prevents steam accounts to obtain two free DST copies. I never heard anybody complaining about that and back then we also obtained 2 free DST copies via 2 purchases from the same account, correct me if I'm wrong. But even if that's the case then the "bot/thief" can simply just make multiple accounts and purchase the game only once per account, still obtaining his 2 accounts per purchase. Also two DST games can be bought for only £3.73.

What about regional pricing? 

I Live in Brazil  and our economy has gone downhill for sometime now.

Dont starve together Costs R$27,99 here, if i use the current exchange rates between Real and Dollar - which is probably the wrong way to do it but is a way that could give us an estimate - Dont starve would cost R$27,99 ÷ 5,85 (how much $1 is worth in R$) = 4,78 dollars. During a sale it costs R$9,51 which would translate to $1,62. $1,62 for two copies, $0,81 per copy. There are probably countries in which DST costs even less.

51 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

There's no rule which prevents steam accounts to obtain two free DST copies. I never heard anybody complaining about that and back then we also obtained 2 free DST copies via 2 purchases from the same account, correct me if I'm wrong. But even if that's the case then the "bot/thief" can simply just make multiple accounts and purchase the game only once per account, still obtaining his 2 accounts per purchase. Also two DST games can be bought for only £3.73.

... well... I bought once extra copy of game for my friend and none of us had the free copy from pucharse? 

(on steam I checked and it was for 10.99. No idea where you get that 3.73. Is this outside steam?). 

15 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

What about regional pricing? 

I Live in Brazil  and our economy has gone downhill for sometime now.

Dont starve together Costs R$27,99 here, if i use the current exchange rates between Real and Dollar - which is probably the wrong way to do it but is a way that could give us an estimate - Dont starve would cost R$27,99 ÷ 5,85 (how much $1 is worth in R$) = 4,78 dollars. During a sale it costs R$9,51 which would translate to $1,62. There are probably countries in which DST costs even less.

Yup, by abusing regional pricing (getting region-restricted) copies this can be exploited. Couple months ago there was an interesting thing going on, where European Union had a beef with Valve, because EU laws restrict this sort of geo-blocking where a good (be it online or offline) purchased in one country cannot be used in other.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/valve-among-publishers-under-fire-from-european-commission-for-geo-blocking-games-549179.phtml

I don't know if any of EU countries have this sort of situation going on, though. Steam introduced my country's currency (PLN) quite some time ago and now the prices do vary compared to price in USD/EUR, but not so much (while earnings do vary much, haha) and so region-block would not be justified. 

Anyway that's just some digression from me, I figured you might be interested.

You are joking right? Surely you are joking. 

On 3/8/2021 at 3:37 AM, blizstorm said:

Since 5 March, on a daily basis, a few sellers are selling skins on a massive quantity, with price of skin declining about 50%. This is generally across all the skins except for heirloom, guest of honor, funko pop skins. An example of the price plunge https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/322330/FIREPIT_FANGED 

I believe someone has managed to obtained 10,000-30,000 accounts, hopefully legitimately, logging in daily to get the skin drop and then selling them to the market. If the trend is to continue, I would expect price of an elegant skin to eventually to drop to 3 cents each.The computational cost of logging in an account daily and then selling it to the market would be very cheap, with the major cost being the cost of purchasing a DST account. So even if the botter is selling elegant skin at 3 cents each, the botter would likely still make a marginal profit.

If the trend is to continue,

The owner of the bots is expected to profit

Players desiring skins would be able to get skin for cheap

Current and future owners of skins would experience a devaluation of skin

Bona fide players would be less incentivise with the skin drop

Klei pricing of skins would be severely depressed by the flood of cheap skins that can be converted to spool. This would then then decrease the revenue of DST and limit its future viability.. 

If you are serious with your made up story you pulled out of your ass, there is nothing I can personally say to you that wouldn't give me an infraction on the forums.

Steam is not so flawed as to be able to have a way to obtain 30,000 accounts with marketplace privileges

Nobody has spent $75,000 to influence price skins by 15 cents

There are 170 sell orders for fanged fireplaces, that is not a huge amount considering this is a old skin

The cheapest Elegant skin is 27 cents which has been around the price range for the cheapest elegents in a while

The most expensive is almost $60 which has constantly been rising

image.thumb.png.5b70ea82c4e609b7fc4c78b9776ac02e.png

There is no drastic price drop except for around the early-middle of the SKINS LIFETIME, THIS IS NOT THIS YEAR and a tiny little cent drop that evens itself out which was probably caused from drop rates and such being increased

I implore everyone reading this **** to not take it seriously and I hope a mod takes it down for it being the fakest ******* news I have ever seen on the forums

10 hours ago, FuriousChimera said:

I re-read the steam market policy and I stand correct.

Reveal hidden contents

Capture1.thumb.PNG.2105c72ab6f24a9a217e309bf8e97ad1.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.9fbc9d038247b62d798d8de7a14ed644.PNG

The fund for this to work would be 62500 to 187500 dollars since I did not include the game price in the first place.
Pretty sure there is no bot afking, because not only it is mechanically impossible, the number of players right now is 15000 players. I would be damn if bots are the entire player base.
 I do not doubt some people or game retailers can make some money from steam market trading. But the scenario of 10000 - 30000 accounts spending 62500 - 187500 dollars over an indie game market skins is unrealistic

image.thumb.png.d2c7c7be9fec0521bfc722e3015116af.png

Idk why you're so stuck on this weird bad fake math you have instead of actually thinking about what they would be doing. It's no more than $15k to get potentially tens of thousands of dollars per month. Divide that over several people and maybe it's only something like $1k or $2k to get potentially hundreds of dollars per month.

Think. Instead of larping as a mathematician, just think about it.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:39 AM, Rylanor said:

Probably most of these accounts might afk on private locked servers for even more skins

there are no bot accounts 

On 3/8/2021 at 4:05 AM, Chesmu said:

I'm also suspecting something like that! I'm sure some Elegants were like 3-4 bucks, after I received one I barely managed to sell it because of the constant decline from the 1 bucks, and finally sold it for 70 cents!

This should totally be investigated.

there are no bot accounts 

On 3/8/2021 at 7:11 AM, Captain_Rage said:

At that magnitude, wouldn't the cost of operating such a number of accounts be very high and far from proportional to any income they might bring? I mean, dear heaven, having to set up a system that log in every one of those accounts must be a most cumbersome thing. Without analyzing it farther, it feels like it would most likely not pay off... although I might be wrong.

Yes, he made that entirely up 

On 3/8/2021 at 8:59 AM, Gods fiddler said:

I remember that one day I wanted my brother to try this game, he had no money so he used the steam family sharing , he opened the game and received a skin, when playing on a local server he got another gift, maybe this is the bug that bots are using to sell so many items on steam

he can't sell the item on the market even if it has value (some are purely spools), the author of the post has formulated his own incorrect idea based of his lack of knowledge 

@ImDaMisterL

I beg you to remove this post as it's spreading misinformation 

Archived