Rocket ports not working

I'm trying to transport petroleum from one planet to the next, but it seems bugged. Maybe I'm missing something. The liquid cargo tank is often not being filled by the liquid rocket ports but sometimes the tank is full, I've yet to catch it filling up. However, unloading has never worked. I've tried many things but the liquid port doesn't seem to want to unload the rocket.

The whole rocketry system is slightly bugged and not really done yet. 

For now i would suggest you use internal storage, it dosen't hook up with automation, but it works reliably in the current state. 

20201128231058_1.thumb.jpg.385d21f1b2cea68de08ce6af23a0723e.jpg

I guess for liquids you could build a small pitcher pump setup.. Be creative :D

Thanks for the tip, I've been using these type of "alternatives" for a while now and I was trying to get the ports operational. I didn't know they were completely non-functional. Very much looking forward to automated delivery routes.

Is there anybody that uses these ports?

7 hours ago, Jann5s said:

I’ve used them and have gotten them to work but they are buggy. Put a piece of pipe on the outlet and inlet even if not used that sometimes solves flow problems. 

The rocket ports seem to work more reliably if you are using rocket ports in the cabin as well, so try installing them too even if not used. 

23 minutes ago, NewWorldDan said:

do the CO2 rockets produce power?  I thought it was 60 watts in flight

No. Sugar engine produces that amount. CO2 engine produces no power at all

Electrical power produced per engine:

Spoiler

image.png.dcdd16803173fced19e7f6a9403293b2.png

On 3/8/2021 at 9:44 AM, sakura_sk said:

Not me... but I would love to see someone use them without fail or bugs.. (Here are some more bugged attempts.. 1, 2)

thanks for the links,

and, i'm done trying to get them to work, for now. I tried many things like load/save, build/rebuid, pipes/nopipes, nothing made it reliable. Perhaps a few updates from now, first nuclear tho. Not having automation on the cargo is something I can wait for.

I've used them in previous builds to transport both solid and gas, however I never had a need to ship liquids. I took a break to play other games for a while so it's been 2-3 builds since I played SO. It was definitely quirky. It always unloads before loading, even if you have a substance in the tank that you don't want unloaded. And lines must be connected both in and out, even if you never intend to use them, i.e. always unloading at one place and never loading, then always loading at another and never unloading. I did successfully setup a system to tame gold and aluminum volcanos, cool the metal, auto ship it to near the surface, then have an automated rocket arrive and load it completely before heading back to the main base and unloading it, then auto launch again.

I managed to setup a "working" loop for liquids. Basically, you have to understand that the right port (rocket ready) is the one rather buggy. The rocket can either be a "supplier" or a "supplied", meaning that at one end "cargo full" means rocket ready while at the other end "cargo empty" is the rocket ready condition. The problem is that the system gets confused about which is which more than 50% of the time (or so).

For the supplier asteroid, get an overflow after a liquid intake. When there is no rocket, no liquid will be there. When the rocket is full, liquid will flow through that detector and signal rocket is ready. You also have to take into account the heat generated, which will get everything to melt eventually. Hydrogen rockets melt steel wires during takeoff and this is where I stop bothering and set an infinite liquid storage instead. It's easy to do with the new liquid intakes tied to the cargo.

Pro-tip: You can stack several input ports together to multiply the loading / unloading.

On 3/6/2021 at 9:15 PM, Jann5s said:

I'm trying to transport petroleum from one planet to the next, but it seems bugged. Maybe I'm missing something. The liquid cargo tank is often not being filled by the liquid rocket ports but sometimes the tank is full, I've yet to catch it filling up. However, unloading has never worked. I've tried many things but the liquid port doesn't seem to want to unload the rocket.

this has happened to me before, sometimes launching the rocket and returning it quickly fixes it, other times it just needs you to deconstruct everything and rebuild it

I'm using gas rocket port, it works, but in certain way. First, you need to unload whole rocket, then you may load it, so to load oxygen into "gas cargo canister" I have to unload remaining oxygen first :) and other cargo.

By the way, you can bring petroleum to planetoid using fuel tank for petroleum engine. Just set fuel limit to lower value, and dupes will remove extra petroleum from there, in bottles :encouragement:. You should build ladders to tank, it shouldn't say "unreachable".

On 3/8/2021 at 10:25 AM, Kderosa said:

I’ve used them and have gotten them to work but they are buggy. Put a piece of pipe on the outlet and inlet even if not used that sometimes solves flow problems. 

The rocket ports seem to work more reliably if you are using rocket ports in the cabin as well, so try installing them too even if not used. 

Also making sure you are feeding 1 kind of liquid.  it will brick like the petroleum generator having both ethanol and petrol in it.

8 hours ago, cpy said:

OMG why do we even have rocket ports when they don't work. Could be good old pipe connection to module. I had one port working for like 1 second and then it stopped.

At least in theory, the benefit is that you can land rockets of different height/build without having to worry about whether your pipes are at the right height to connect.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:01 AM, Jann5s said:

I have been using them for a while now.

From my experience, They HAVE to unload their cargo when they land before they can start loading cargo.

That makes them really hard to use for something like an oxygen bank (since the rocket would try to unload every time) but for transporting resources, I've had nothing but good experiences (other than some issues with automation). I regularly use a Large Solid Cargo Module to transfer aluminum from the Radioactive Planet's volcanoes to my main base and a small Liquid Cargo Module to transfer resin from the Marshy Asteroid to my main base for refinement.

I personally think the ports should have a setting similar to the use direction of wash basins. There could be "Load only", "Unload only" and "Both". An element filter on the ports themselves would be great too.

Using rocket fluid ports to transport fluids in large volumes inside the housing module. At this stage, as I understand they do not work properly and require improvement, namely either the installation of filters for unloading or loading on the main platform as written in the description of the port or switch on the port itself that would be convenient. Since neither of these mechanics is not implemented properly, then loading is carried out through the port and unloading through the emptying of the rocket storage manually and delivery of the liquid duplicant. This is quite a long and time consuming process and requires your constant attention but it is possible I have already transported from a barren water asteroid over 1\5 of all the initial water and it took about 50 cycles of non-stop operation of 5 duplicants. Hopefully the developers will get around to refining the rocket platform or ports in the near future instead of splashing out on nuclear inertia. Since the nuclear reactor is not critical for settlement life on other asteroids and water or oil is needed now. And shipping with non-working ports discourages any desire to play after 1000+ cycles, much less populate deep space planetoids. 

I've had good results with the rocket ports loading and unloading cargo from the cargo bays.

What I don't like is the ports inside the command capsules.  It would be nice if the command capsules had a small amount of intrinsic storage.  Adding a gas cargo tank just so I can dispose of CO2 in an automated fashion is excessive.  Even better would be if the capsule had gas and liquid in/out ports that just connected to the outside of the capsule - forget about connecting them to the cargo tanks, I can take care of everything else inside the rocket as long as the connection exists.  And power (yes, I know, the battery module, same objection).

I don`t even know how to build a rocket port. Can anybody perhaps kindly help ?

image.png.2936721c50866da0f90a391d8428f56b.png

Also, what should I build to fly to my first planet ? @sakura_sk

I need water or ice, otherwise my colony will soon die again...Module recommendations would be welcome.

Is it all Klei trial-and-error designed so that the players have to watch Utube movie to see how stuff works ? :culpability:

Help welp ?

How to play in a rocket or how to launch it...Doooooooh ! @The Plum Gate

image.thumb.png.df7bc96330150345b696ee5d604616d7.png

If its too complicated to explain, someone has a good Utube link on how to get a simple rocket working ? I need water...

I`ll try to build a nosecone now. A recommendation for a sugar engine rocket would be great. I think I need an oxydizer tank ? I rerouted my toilets and scratching my last colony polluted water together to make some fertilizer. Neeeeeeeed water !!! Incoming colony deathhhhhhhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

image.png.f68cfe71bfa2a06b7653803990e6c1c9.pngimage.png.587d937561d464a8668d68ff20c42d86.png

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: All dyyyyyinggggggggggggggg ! Why always Utube, Klei...Its always the same.

image.png.5ce2802289ed5739c3d62db30d37c8ef.png:confused::confused::confused:

12 minutes ago, babba said:

I need water, otherwise my colony will soon die again...

You mean you need to transfer water from another planet? Ehmm... :? You could try...

Rocket ports need to sit next to the platform to connect to any cargo module (as I said above I don't really use them...). You can also connect the same (to increase input/output) or different ports in array to the first one. They need to have at least one pipe/rail to both input and output points in order to load cargo.

Spoiler

image.png.01f704dc334afa94b23c373c9b05ead4.png

As for the "build to fly" part.. I could say: think simple :p (like taking a backpack for a one-day trip). I know you don't really like it but... everything you need can fit inside a spacefarer (solo nosecone or module)

The simplest:

Spoiler

Algae terrarium

+refrigerator (unpowered) with a bar of berry sludge (or any other food if it's a short trip)

+outhouse/bed (you could also fit both but I started being lazy :lol:)

image.thumb.png.47e70a0f4f753b3c70f3dfb8b4aa5260.png

You could reach the closest planet, drop a rover (in order to take your time and prepare the ground before any dupes land) and let the rocket return in ~1 cycle (maybe less) to your home planet.

Rocket built could be Sugar engine+oxidizer+rover module+solo spacefarer nosecone or CO2 engine+rover+solo spacefarer

54 minutes ago, babba said:

image.png.5ce2802289ed5739c3d62db30d37c8ef.png:confused::confused::confused:

Most rocket engines generate power now

Thanks a lot for helping :p

I found the gas port in the "Ventilation" category and the other port in plumbing...I expected all rocket stuff to be in the "Rocketry" category.

It seems I need to research the basic nosecone...But I cant find a planetarium building ? How can I research the nose cone ?

image.png.11d44955c7e27215a5f4acc7023bb4f7.png

I will use your rocket inside map play design then, thanks a lot :beguiled:

2 minutes ago, babba said:

It seems I need to research the basic nosecone...But I cant find a planetarium building ? How can I research the nose cone ?

You don't need to - The solo spacefarer module acts as both a nosecone and a command module, so you can build it at the top of your rocket so it can act as one.

image.png.af53d4456ee088b37f9fbd91b266394f.png

6 minutes ago, Electroely said:

You don't need to - The solo spacefarer module acts as both a nosecone and a command module, so you can build it at the top of your rocket so it can act as one.

image.png.82bcd6d2e6572c14dc80a980f33f0811.png Thanks - I have no clue how to research it ?

image.png.3e6273c375ae39c13d0707982dc4062a.png How to make Microlab ?

image.png.927d3c47ea6dd5427d5edcfb19d35a56.pngimage.png.69933055fad7ba1446abc07681944b93.pngimage.png.745f9bbc7344231c2888bc722e5a9860.png

Archived