What is the use of fittings? (Cargo-port-fitting mess...)

How is the whole cargo-port, fitting-cargo system is supposed to work?

I don't find a use for cargo modules currently in DLC (using only command module space or ports to command module link would be enough for me) and after fittings were introduces I find them even more unnecessary. (or at least there should be only one not 3 different cargo modules)

I didn't use cargo modules before in DLC so I don't know if it didn't work that way from the beginning or it worked and stopped working after fittings were added. (I assume it was the first though..)

Currently you can't unload the cargo module through the port's exit if the rocket hasn't made a space trip or at least launch to orbit and back. That means filling a cargo module through a fitting can't be emptied until you return from a destination. If everything is built on the same planet nothing works. If you fill cargo module with unwanted elements only way to empty it, is to space travel or hit manual "empty storage" button. Same goes if you empty command module and fill a cargo module through a fitting.

Is that how they work?

If that is so, you still can't empty unwanted gasses from command module -after- you return and land from a space trip. You should have built everything before landing. Fittings need to only work during travel and stop working after landing in order to empty cargo modules completely (well.. after landing they empty whatever was loaded to them before landing whether it was during travel or not . That also means, no constructing/deconstructing of cargo modules is allowed in order to empty elements from command module. You can only fill before launching and empty after landing. That also means you need to empty each and every cargo module before loading any cargo module (that is a weird bug)

How I would expect ports-fitting to work:

• I would expect ports to have a "filter" as they state in their description (unless "gas filter set" means "input/output" of port building) or at least a "switch"/slider to control in/out of the port building.
  • I would expect fitting to bypass cargo modules if a port is available.

This is a good question.

I don’t understand why the ports are tied to the cargo modules at all.  To be useful you’d want to fill the cabin with O2 (and possibly store enough to keep the dupes alive for x cycles) and then dispose of the waste gasses.  But you also want to load water into a lavatory and unload polluted water (putting an outhouse in a rocket seems absurd.)  and you might also wanted to retake solid materials for whatever construction project you have in mind  that’s three cargo modules needed  but as far as I can tell you only have room for one module chose wisely.

and here’s another thing that would be useful - a coolant system because the rockets get hot fast and there’s no easy way to keep them at plant friendly temperature.

These life support functions should be tied to the power module  and the cargo modules should be independent systems  

my 2 cents

9 hours ago, Kderosa said:

I don’t understand why the ports are tied to the cargo modules at all.  

Agreed. The ports in the command module should just connect directly to the rocket port buildings.

Being able to directly pump oxygen/water and extract CO2/pwater would make topping off life support much simpler but not trivialize anything. You could even use a loop of cold water as heat removal.

As it is they're pretty much unusable because they're tied to modules which noone uses, because of the low number of modules allowed per rocket.

I like that the fittings require rocket modules to work.

Previously my playstyle didn't encourage me to use cargo modules, I took few seeds and eggs from the planet, stored them in the nosecone and I flew back with intention never to return. I found to use for cargo at all. Now they have more purpose, I can use them to make my life easier with fittings, but this comes with a cost of rocket size. I like the decission here.

If we removed requirement of cargo, fittings would be strictly better than other solutions, making them no-brainer auto picks. Booooriing...

Does it make sense that cargo are required? Maybe not, but I like them like it anyway. I feel that removing cargo would make them too OP and less fun (though ofc much easier)

38 minutes ago, pether said:

I like that the fittings require rocket modules to work.

I'm more annoyed by the "fitting to cargo->rocket travel then landing->cargo to port exit" process. I would prefer a panel with 3 switches where only two at a time can be toggled (fitting <-> cargo, cargo <-> port, fitting <-> port). You could load/unload any cargo then flip a switch to make it available for command module or a "fitting to port" connection if you don't travel long to need cargo storage while traveling. Not being able to interact with cargo like any other storage (input/output like liquid or gas storage) is confusing me. In base game there wasn't any need to load cargo so having it unload after landing is reasonable, but not in DLC.

haha guys, so happy to find you. I just wrote this in another thread and I am just glad I am not the only one having difficulties with the logic of this system xD I started going mad

I think there are too many components in this system which makes it really confusing. There were no bugs in my case, but It took me forever to figure the system out . My two main Hurdles in successfully directing Resources into the Spacefarer Module:

Output AND input of the Rocket Port (The thing next to the platform) need to be connected to pipes.  Because I had no Intention of moving something OUT of the rocket, I just built a pipe leading to the rocket port input, ignoring the rocket port output. nothing happens. I expected something like the liquid reservoir, where it is not neccessary to build an output pipe for the reservoir to work (namely storing something inside). Which would habe been more in sync with the existing stuff i think

The Fact that you need additional gas/liquid/power Modules, not just the Port next to the platform and the Fittings inside the Spacefarer Module, confused me too. The Modules store the resources, the Ports direct them to the Spacefarer Module? First I thought that by installing the fittings inside the rocket, a brand new input/output port would appear on the outside of the spacefarer module, which was not the case. When I discovered the Rocket Ports , i tried to somehow connect the Rocket Port to the Fittings directly for the longest time. Building Rocket Ports INSIDE the Spacefarer Module should definitly not be possible, just like it is not possible to build Fittings in the outside world.

Why even bother with the Rocket Ports? Are the Gas/Liquid/Power/Modules neccessary when you can just stack infinite amounts of stuff directly into the rocket?

placing a pipe directly between the different Modules or just linking an external source with a pipe to the Module would have been more intuitive. The Inside Fittings are great and give you flexibility in placement and choice, but so far I can't see the purpose of the rocket ports besides making the system overly complex.

Any thoughts? I'm sure I just haven't figured it out yet and the system is really useful somehow.

11 hours ago, fleranon said:

placing a pipe directly between the different Modules or just linking an external source with a pipe to the Module would have been more intuitive. The Inside Fittings are great and give you flexibility in placement and choice, but so far I can't see the purpose of the rocket ports besides making the system overly complex.

For me it seems they wanted the cargo modules to work in a certain way. Fill it before launch, empty after landing. Then they added the fittings connected to modules so they couldn`t just straight connet them to the landing pad ports or it would break how the cargo modules work.

As for now i find the power fitting most useful - it`s basically free power during flight. Gas ports connected to a tank filled with oxygen give you a ton of oxygen and take just 2 tiles of space and zero maintainance. Just fill the module with oxygen before launch. Using it to get rid of CO2 is more tedious but still not as complex and takes 3-4 additional tiles (pump, port, optional gas sensor).

I don`t see a reason to use the solid port and very little to build a liquid port (it`s ok for toilets but outhouses work just fine atm).

57 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

For me it seems they wanted the cargo modules to work in a certain way. Fill it before launch, empty after landing. Then they added the fittings connected to modules so they couldn`t just straight connet them to the landing pad ports or it would break how the cargo modules work.

that makes sense actually

58 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I don`t see a reason to use the solid port and very little to build a liquid port (it`s ok for toilets but outhouses work just fine atm).

That depends on what you want to do with your rocket. My goaI is to build a rocket that can compete with a whole planet in terms of sustainability and comfort.  have a friggin' Aquatuner in there :) not finished yet though

dfdfd.jpg

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

As for now i find the power fitting most useful - it`s basically free power during flight. Gas ports connected to a tank filled with oxygen give you a ton of oxygen and take just 2 tiles of space and zero maintainance. Just fill the module with oxygen before launch. Using it to get rid of CO2 is more tedious but still not as complex and takes 3-4 additional tiles (pump, port, optional gas sensor).

even if you want to go the rocket outhouse route there's still the problem that you can only use either the gas or the power module, not both with petroleum rockets. And you kinda need both (some would say all three) if you want the dupes to live out of the spacefarer for multiple cycles (and it seems pretty clear that you're supposed to be doing that on some of the more uninhabitable moonlets.)  Dealing with oxylite, dirt, and polluted dirt does not seem like good late game solutions.

9 minutes ago, RageLeague said:

You don't need a power module to use the power generated by the rocket. You just need a fitting inside the rocket.

As long as you don't mind having ports not working on the pads. This effectively prevents you from filling the rocket cabin with oxygen and/or water. before take-off and then prevents you from having any power when you get to your destination unless you empty out the storage modules, destroy them, and then add a power module.  At least this appears how the rockets function for me, but the ports are so wonky, I'm glad to be wrong.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:03 PM, Kderosa said:

even if you want to go the rocket outhouse route there's still the problem that you can only use either the gas or the power module,

I don`t really see a reason to build a power module ever. I can preemptively fill the command module with a canister emptier, some oxylite or an oxygen diffuser with a hamster wheel i deconstruct later. After i got oxygen inside there is no need to power the module when on ground. On ground the dupes don`t sit in the rocket for too long so i can get away with only pumping extra oxygen when in space. I also keep a small battery inside the module so that even the 60W from a sugar engine can power both a small pump and gas input as none of them needs to run 100% of the time.

Archived