How do Beeta hives actually work..?

I haven't properly played around with beetas but I tested Beetiny, Beeta and a Beeta Hive to see how they could work.

• Beeta hive makes 1-2 Beetiny at a time (sometimes 3 but is it restricted by calories? space? I don't know yet..).
  • A Beetiny after ~1-2 cycles becomes a Beeta (I still haven't figure out exact conditions but maybe if there is a hive nearby).
  • Beetas take uranium ore lying around and "feed" it to a Beeta hive.
  • Beeta hive refines uranium ore to enriched uranium and stores it inside.
  • Beetas have a lifespan of 5 cycles (Beetiny marked as elderly.. lol)
  • Beetas attack dupes in their proximity and die immediately.
  • If a Beeta hive is destroyed another one "sprouts" from a Beetiny or a Beeta.
  • Beeta hive also needs feeding (..?), having a calorie consumption of 1500/cycle but metabolism -75% (unknown why..)

So.. ok.. Beetas are untamable (babies can't be tamed and Beetas die in dupe sight) but my question is:

• How could you approach a Beeta hive to "harvest" the enriched uranium without killing your Beeta population? (..or is this just how it works?)

15 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Nope! It's ...inside :P

One thing that comes to mind is using aerial lures (or uranium) behind automated door to lure beetas away and trap them for a while, so that a dupe goes to loot the uranium without making them go kamikaze on him. A self-resetting trap chamber where uranium is dropped off though a conveyor belt wouldn't be hard to make.

Another one is finding a way to destroy the beeta hive without dupes going in, so that the contents drop on the floor (I assume they do) and a sweeper can pick them up. If it would just be a critter one could flood it or shoot it with hyep! I mean radbolts. Does it have an achievable melting point? Maybe drop molten led/salt on it or try to get the uranium inside to melt and hope it leaks out after the phase change.

I think I know what I'll do this weekend...

on my test map, i didn't care about the beeta population and just harvested without any suit with little trouble.  the beetas feed the hive enough that it doesn't need constant feeding so if you wipe out the beeta population, they'll be back before the next time the hive is hungry.  half the time the beetas didn't attack my dupe as well.  it's kinda neat the beetas will mine uranium from the walls near them too

unless depleted uranium gets a use, the beeta hives are better than the centrifuges

1 hour ago, Pulstar said:

One thing that comes to mind is using aerial lures

Airborne critter bait (I think that one replaced aerial lures..?) doesn't lure beetas 

*also there is something weird going on if you put multiple different critter baits next to each other :lol:

Spoiler

Hovering over a bait changes every surrounding bait :!:

1369843739_lure1.thumb.png.8d01e7063d8ad20fe17981f4ebf866e7.png

231575258_lure3.thumb.png.5d131e775c36f29deb92a708bd38adfe.png

392697433_lure4.thumb.png.d7e580f48e734190d078e0a2927c0690.png

Moreover, I think if Beetas are left without a Beeta hive they turn themselves into one.. :?

1 hour ago, Pulstar said:

Beeta-fries..? :lol:

58 minutes ago, zach123b said:

it's kinda neat the beetas will mine uranium from the walls near them too

Do they actually mine it?! :-o I wasn't sure about that. Thanks! ;)

32 minutes ago, Reitar said:

it is enough to fill the room with CO2 for the beetas to fall asleep

Wait... Is that why they randomly fell asleep?! :o It says they consume it, not that CO2 makes them sleepy. :hopelessness: (It's -80C around my beeta hives so no gas CO2 survived... :lol: )

Well... It makes sense but there should be a "written" indication somewhere :-D 

Thanks @Reitar for the hint!

Edit: Well.. Youtube wasn't fast enough to notify me for Brothgar's Bzzz-video :lol:

8 minutes ago, Reitar said:

As I understand it, it is enough to fill the room with CO2 for the beetas to fall asleep.

Thanks, seems obvious in hindsight now that I think about it. Seems you can just dump CO2 into the glow in the dark apiary and the beetas will politely enter a food coma, eating CO2 while they sleep until there is vacuum. Shouldn't bee ("bee", get it?) too hard to automate that. I guess I would just keep the level of CO2 stable at a certain pressure until I know (probably though a solid element sensor on a conveyor belt that the dupes would load with enriched uranium) that the dupes harvested the uranium.

Anyway after some mad science in sandbox and debug mode I have learned that the Beeta Hive is indeed a critter. Drowning the Hive worked and it dropped the enriched uranium after dying, zapping it with radbolts doesn't damage it though (makes sense I guess).

Heating up the hive doesn't work as enriched uranium melts at over 800 C into liquid uranium. Freezing liquid uranium creates depleted uranium unfortunately. Also seem my Hive randomly died with no message when heating it up with lots of hot steam (in hindsight should have used CO2). Oh and my beetinies seem to disappear instead of growing into Beetas after aging to about 2 cycles.

8 minutes ago, Pulstar said:

Also seem my Hive randomly died with no message when heating it up with lots of hot steam (in hindsight should have used CO2). Oh and my beetinies seem to disappear instead of growing into Beetas after aging to about 2 cycles.

I think they are very temperature sensitive... Both Beeta hive and Beeta/beetiny. I accidentally killed them in -120C of the ice biome in radioactive planet :?

Hives can starve to death.

New hives spawn from beetas if no other hives are nearby, i think it has something to do with the "ring of radiaton" that flickers every 5 or so seconds from the hives. - This is how ever a tiny bit buggy and can trigger a new hive on loads. 

Hives can spawn on tiles.

Beetas collect uranium ore straight from Uranium ore tiles, WITHOUT loss...

Beetas are not always angry, there seems to be a chance they will ignore dupes passing by. Might also just be buggy behavior, don't know.

Beetinys can be wrangled and taken to other places to have new hives spawn.

Uranium ore is currently NOT storable, there is also no section in the critter feeder for Uranium ore / beetas. - The only buildings that can store Uranium ore currently are the Uranium centrifuge and the Hives.- This also means no shipping ore with rockets. Hope this one gets addressed with the next patch, really do...

Neither Uranium ore or the enriched version has radiation currently. - Most likely also a bug.

20210308000300_1.thumb.jpg.da19699f066938cf12f7f31194baaf13.jpg

20 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

Hives can starve to death.

New hives spawn from beetas if no other hives are nearby, i think it has something to do with the "ring of radiaton" that flickers every 5 or so seconds from the hives. - This is how ever a tiny bit buggy and can trigger a new hive on loads. 

Hives can spawn on tiles.

Beetas collect uranium ore straight from Uranium ore tiles, WITHOUT loss...

Beetas are not always angry, there seems to be a chance they will ignore dupes passing by. Might also just be buggy behavior, don't know.

Beetinys can be wrangled and taken to other places to have new hives spawn.

Uranium ore is currently NOT storable, there is also no section in the critter feeder for Uranium ore / beetas. - The only buildings that can store Uranium ore currently are the Uranium centrifuge and the Hives.- This also means no shipping ore with rockets. Hope this one gets addressed with the next patch, really do...

Neither Uranium ore or the enriched version has radiation currently. - Most likely also a bug.

20210308000300_1.thumb.jpg.da19699f066938cf12f7f31194baaf13.jpg

Thank you for the screenshot :p

I like the psycho eyes of the bees, I am very glad the bees handle radiation. Perfect match :biggrin-new:

Can the bees harm the dupes ? Do they sting :confused:@sakura_sk

image.png.d196141a4c5b18071b52652ebf921316.pngimage.thumb.png.8bb3ab07c821c1c24e7eeadd465a867b.pngimage.png.d6d8b3b8f0f00f799abd076a1a022cc0.pngbobeyes.gif

image.thumb.png.b71ca899f47d0081d8d99927fe236d62.png  Particle Generator Build - Max RAD

15 minutes ago, babba said:

I am very glad they work with the bees handle radiation.

Ha! "work with" "handle"... They are radiation :lol:

15 minutes ago, babba said:

Do they sting :confused:

hihi.. Why you ask? Of course they would sting! They are bee-tas :lol:

Spoiler

767980119_stingybee.thumb.JPG.7ef8c3f422d7a59c69496606dd25e0d9.JPG

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I wonder if they will make beeta sting poisonous. Or maybe just inject a large dose of radiation into the dupe.

Maybe it could be another kind of co2 thing :confused: A sting of the bee sends a dupe a few minutes to instant "Bee Narcotic" sleep :confused: ...but it could also be via radiation bee injection.

image.png.4beec865106bcfffdfb4c16b630db6b6.pngimage.png.4f2c7d1b2ae159c88f0238a11471ba47.png

Also...perhaps a doctor, or Ellie, could reanimate via mouth to mouth first aid help :confused: ...Dupes falling in love would be soooo sweet :love-struck::x

Whataboutism some virus in the game which could spread from dupe to dupe or from critter to critter or from dupe to critter or from critter to dupe :confused::beguiled: It could be a positive virus, like "Falling blindly in love" -> Makes the dupe blind and wander randomly around, but very happy ! "Falling blindly in love" can be cured by building things like hot tubs in the colony. As soon the dupe randomly trips over a relaxation building, he hops in/uses it and is cured after some time.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:15 AM, Pulstar said:

One thing that comes to mind is using aerial lures (or uranium) behind automated door to lure beetas away and trap them for a while, so that a dupe goes to loot the uranium without making them go kamikaze on him. A self-resetting trap chamber where uranium is dropped off though a conveyor belt wouldn't be hard to make.

Another one is finding a way to destroy the beeta hive without dupes going in, so that the contents drop on the floor (I assume they do) and a sweeper can pick them up. If it would just be a critter one could flood it or shoot it with hyep! I mean radbolts. Does it have an achievable melting point? Maybe drop molten led/salt on it or try to get the uranium inside to melt and hope it leaks out after the phase change.

The answer is carbon dioxide. To be able to reliably get the enriched uranium you only need to fill the room with carbon dioxide when they are coming. The Beetas will fall asleep and you'll be able to harvest your enriched uranium.

Also, if you melt enriched uranium, you'll get depleted uranium.

ealier someone was asking for depleted uranium use.. i think this is radiation shield material at the moment (klei wrote something about adressing the Dep. Uranium radiation stopping power in one of the radiation patch we had.

Has anyone else noticed behavior where the beetas will just stop delivering uranium ore to the hive? They aren’t sleeping and there’s lots of exposed uranium ore. And yet, I have two hives that are about to starve to death because the beetas just won’t deliver.

Here's a tip to have a lot of hives in a dedicated room :

1. Do a small room 2x3 minimum add a second door on the right of the room. And an arrow to place the Beety.

2. Do another room next the right door and repeat.

hives1.thumb.png.8fe5f7b533eab99f5608e0dc71489cfb.png

As well Beetiny don't consider the other hives. Without that, you need to add a lot of space between the hives.

Once hives is plants you can destroy the internal doors to have an unique room.

hives.thumb.png.572a9680e571481d7d169b9baf033c2e.png

I've tried without doors in this room and I wasn't able to have more than one hives. With the doors tips, I have 3. ^^

Note : it seems it's not needed to have natural tiles.

Archived