NATURAL DISASTERS UPDATE

4 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

(And less caps lock)

nah it makes thir coment uniq. it also shows that they're serois and rellyy wnt nukes to be aded to DST 

wich i agre with

like tell me,was this comment unique because of all the spelling mistakes?

i would guess the answer is yes

1 hour ago, viberr said:

NATURAL DISEATOR INCMUNING 

ALSO KNOWN AS TACTICAL NUKE 

YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS TO GO UNDERGROUND BEFORE YOU DIE 

Really?  I always thought that for a nuke, you got 60 Seconds.

(winks into the camera)

But seriously this thread is....it'd be a lot more comprehensible if it was less shouty.

...Notorious

I actually agree with the OP that the game should have more naturally occurring unavoidable disasters, and NOW that the game is even more customizable then it has EVER been with the upcoming update.... I don’t think Disasters are going to hurt anyone: They’ll be an option you can have if you want it, and can be turned off if you don’t.

This game needs to evolve beyond being just Don’t Starve: But with Multiplayer.. it’s been almost 10 years between DS & the current update’s of DST and its high time the game started to FEEL that way.. And Klei has been doing an excellent Job since these Return of Them & Character Refresh updates started. 

They don’t show any signs of slowing those updates down Anytime soon either- So it’s good to get your Ideas & Suggestions out there NOW so Klei can decide if they want to add them in LATER.

Things like what the OP is asking for.. Directly tie’s into suggestions I’ve seen by Other people: Such as that highly popular thread sometime back ago about players wanting Elevated Foundations of Land.

3DEAB02B-4370-4836-BCF0-34E5BF27ED46.jpeg.7762bf98e8ce1d3f196c23eb04724580.jpeg

It Opens up door ways to things like being able to have earthquakes on the surface that cause’s Landslides which create their own elevations/collapses of land.

I would like to see High Tides added to the game as well so that anything placed too close to the ocean, is at risk of being flooded by natural disasters such as how Water can come Ashore in Shipwrecked DLC 

Now that there are options for things like “Tons of Insanity Monsters or Never spawn Insanity Monsters”

Things like what the OP is asking for CAN Exist- People who don’t want their bases absolutely wrecked by these unavoidable disasters simply should have those disasters toggled off & let that be that.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I actually agree with the OP that the game should have more naturally occurring unavoidable disasters, and NOW that the game is even more customizable then it has EVER been with the upcoming update.... I don’t think Disasters are going to hurt anyone: They’ll be an option you can have if you want it, and can be turned off if you don’t.

This game needs to evolve beyond being just Don’t Starve: But with Multiplayer.. it’s been almost 10 years between DS & the current update’s of DST and its high time the game started to FEEL that way.. And Klei has been doing an excellent Job since these Return of Them & Character Refresh updates started. 

They don’t show any signs of slowing those updates down Anytime soon either- So it’s good to get your Ideas & Suggestions out there NOW so Klei can decide if they want to add them in LATER.

Things like what the OP is asking for.. Directly tie’s into suggestions I’ve seen by Other people: Such as that highly popular thread sometime back ago about players wanting Elevated Foundations of Land.

3DEAB02B-4370-4836-BCF0-34E5BF27ED46.jpeg.7762bf98e8ce1d3f196c23eb04724580.jpeg

It Opens up door ways to things like being able to have earthquakes on the surface that cause’s Landslides which create their own elevations/collapses of land.

I would like to see High Tides added to the game as well so that anything placed too close to the ocean, is at risk of being flooded by natural disasters such as how Water can come Ashore in Shipwrecked DLC 

Now that there are options for things like “Tons of Insanity Monsters or Never spawn Insanity Monsters”

Things like what the OP is asking for CAN Exist- People who don’t want their bases absolutely wrecked by these unavoidable disasters simply should have those disasters toggled off & let that be that.

i dont know if the game would be able to even handle that (also what a way to insert your own suggestion you've already made before into a post that has nothing to do with that), regardless it aleast looks cool but I would suspect that if that is even somehow added (i imagine that being hard to make with alot of changes being made to behaviors), it would probably be something closer to Animal Crossing: New Horizons (and would be its own thing after RoT for sure, (it would probably be added into hamlet aswell)Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Build Inclines | USgamer

12 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Hey everyone, remember to always keep your posts constructive and on topic. I don't like to lock threads unless the OP is actively derailing it. Every suggestion is important, so let's treat them as such :)

Thanks for understanding.

I just didnt take it seriously since it was like ADD FEATURE I WANT FEATURE PLEASE KLEI, I actually thought the post would get removed for it being spam

1 hour ago, JustCrimson said:

i dont know if the game would be able to even handle that (also what a way to insert your own suggestion you've already made before into a post that has nothing to do with that), regardless it aleast looks cool but I would suspect that if that is even somehow added (i imagine that being hard to make with alot of changes being made to behaviors), it would probably be something closer to Animal Crossing: New Horizons (and would be its own thing after RoT for sure, (it would probably be added into hamlet aswell)Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Build Inclines | USgamer

I just didnt take it seriously since it was like ADD FEATURE I WANT FEATURE PLEASE KLEI, I actually thought the post would get removed for it being spam

Lots of people have requested elevated foundations of land, but.. Earthquakes/Landslides should be able to Cause those elevations in land.

Yeah it sounds like a ton of technical work and may not ever happen, but just look at the image you just posted, that elevated land can go one of two ways, Downward in a landslide, or upward in a land spike (when the land below it sinks further below it making it higher than it once was)

Im not trying to shoehorn my own suggestions here: if you paid attention it’s not even my suggestion, it’s @Hornete’s 

But nonetheless: Caves get earthquakes all the time while your in them that drop resources and gigantic rocks on your head (when the Antlion attacks) And I don’t know about you: but I have always wondered what kinds of damage to the SURFACE above that kind of destruction should be causing.

Earthquakes & landslides that cause upward/downward elevations in land platforms go hand in hand with one another.

EDIT: I was an absolute science nerd in school and loved studying this type of stuff: 

http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/en/knowledge/things-to-know/causes-of-earthquakes/general/

And call me crazy: but I kinda would like to see even more disasters, hurricane winds that uproot things, floods that drowned out land from time to time, tornados that just come through wrecking everything, Firenados (yeah those are real and quite terrifying) 

All of this content would of course be optional: there for those who want the challenge of it, avoidable for those who don’t.

I mean as it stands now: DS Single Player has better mechanics for the things I’d like to see someday added to DST.

It doesn’t have landslides.. but it DOES have strong winds that uproot things, & plots of land that get flooded out by water.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

EDIT: I was an absolute science nerd in school and loved studying this type of stuff: 

http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/en/knowledge/things-to-know/causes-of-earthquakes/general/

Ohmygod, me too!  I wonder what's with that.  (Next part spoilered so it doesn't annoy people as much, since it's kinda off-topicish):

Spoiler

I went through a phase where I was fascinated with freaky extreme nature stuff, and of course that led to checking out books from the school library about earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes...I remember going up to adults and being like "Look at this picture of a broom straw that's been shoved THROUGH a palm tree!" or talking about that nature documentary I saw about Krakatoa...There was this one book at school that went into all the details of exactly what happened with Mt. St. Helens, that I found especially fascinating.

(actually what am I saying "phase"; I watched a video about "Tornado Size Comparison" on YouTube just the other day. And then there's stuff about mass extinctions and what'll happen to the Earth when the Sun goes red giant, and...)

Yeah, with the disasters, I'm now getting the same kinda vibe as SimCity, where you build it all up real carefully and then RELEASE GODZILLA!!  (Heck, in SimCity you can do worse, since there's nuclear power plants...)  Having played Shipwrecked where you can think your fire is fine and then the waves come up _just_ that bit further than you thought they would during the night, and...

And the wind!  Yeah, it uproots things, including small trees, and you can see them blowing by you.  Not sure how that would work in DST, like, what exactly things would be considered light enough to blow around that way.  In Shipwrecked this is called "Hurricane Season" and it happens right after "Mild Season", so it'd be the equivalent of....winter?  It'd make more sense to be in summer or maybe spring, in DST, though.  Although spring is already rather busy and summer in the RoG climate strikes me as too _dry_ for hurricanes.

I'd also be willing to consider blizzards and avalanches if the way to see through the blowing snow (and therefore move normally) was pretty easy and accessible to make.  Otherwise you'd have an all-world, inescapable white sandstorm and that'd SUCK when hounds show up...

Not sure how/if the elevation would work, but if somebody made a mod that did that I'd totally try it.

...Notorious

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Ohmygod, me too!  I wonder what's with that.  (Next part spoilered so it doesn't annoy people as much, since it's kinda off-topicish):

Reveal hidden contents

I went through a phase where I was fascinated with freaky extreme nature stuff, and of course that led to checking out books from the school library about earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes...I remember going up to adults and being like "Look at this picture of a broom straw that's been shoved THROUGH a palm tree!" or talking about that nature documentary I saw about Krakatoa...There was this one book at school that went into all the details of exactly what happened with Mt. St. Helens, that I found especially fascinating.

(actually what am I saying "phase"; I watched a video about "Tornado Size Comparison" on YouTube just the other day. And then there's stuff about mass extinctions and what'll happen to the Earth when the Sun goes red giant, and...)

Yeah, with the disasters, I'm now getting the same kinda vibe as SimCity, where you build it all up real carefully and then RELEASE GODZILLA!!  (Heck, in SimCity you can do worse, since there's nuclear power plants...)  Having played Shipwrecked where you can think your fire is fine and then the waves come up _just_ that bit further than you thought they would during the night, and...

And the wind!  Yeah, it uproots things, including small trees, and you can see them blowing by you.  Not sure how that would work in DST, like, what exactly things would be considered light enough to blow around that way.  In Shipwrecked this is called "Hurricane Season" and it happens right after "Mild Season", so it'd be the equivalent of....winter?  It'd make more sense to be in summer or maybe spring, in DST, though.  Although spring is already rather busy and summer in the RoG climate strikes me as too _dry_ for hurricanes.

I'd also be willing to consider blizzards and avalanches if the way to see through the blowing snow (and therefore move normally) was pretty easy and accessible to make.  Otherwise you'd have an all-world, inescapable white sandstorm and that'd SUCK when hounds show up...

Not sure how/if the elevation would work, but if somebody made a mod that did that I'd totally try it.

...Notorious

elevation already exists in the game to some extent, if you spawn a bunch of boats on eachother it makes a tower, also apparently you can build vertically explointing something similar to this, there are youtube videos on it

Huh.  I guess I just never got around to spawning boats.  Normally I build them, and one at a time.  : P

As for the _building_ in ways that at least look like elevation--yeah, I've seen a few of those, they were on the Screenshot Showcase or "Shrines, Decorations and Base Designs" thread, one of those.  We've been talking about _landscape_ elevation in this thread, though--for example, how actual hills/mountains would help make avalanches and landslides a thing.  And TADA! we're back to natural disasters, the original topic.  Lol.

Also on the elevation topic:  If you had _lower_ areas maybe they could flood during rains, and make temporary ponds...I don't know what good or bad that would do, but it's an idea.  Not a GOOD one, but...

...Notorious

35 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Huh.  I guess I just never got around to spawning boats.  Normally I build them, and one at a time.  : P

As for the _building_ in ways that at least look like elevation--yeah, I've seen a few of those, they were on the Screenshot Showcase or "Shrines, Decorations and Base Designs" thread, one of those.  We've been talking about _landscape_ elevation in this thread, though--for example, how actual hills/mountains would help make avalanches and landslides a thing.  And TADA! we're back to natural disasters, the original topic.  Lol.

Also on the elevation topic:  If you had _lower_ areas maybe they could flood during rains, and make temporary ponds...I don't know what good or bad that would do, but it's an idea.  Not a GOOD one, but...

...Notorious

To be fair- Elevated land plays directly into naturally occurring disasters, as you said floods in lower valleys, spikes in upwards heights of land with earthquakes that cause landslides & lowered heights in land, Even Like the picture I drew above where you have what I like to call an “over-head walking path” (where an elevated plot of land crosses over a gap in lowered land) Imagine if Earthquakes could cause THAT to crumble and force players to no longer be able to take that path anymore or have to build their own way back across (such as building a bridge connecting the points or chopping down a tree and walking across its trunk like a bridge)

Elevated Land has to happen first before Disasters like Earthquakes & Landslides can happen.

But I strongly feel like BOTH are on-topic.

35 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

Maybe as a mod.

Mods can’t always be the answer to everything, what about people on Xbox & PlayStation who can’t have mods? Only way we will see something like this is if it’s added to the game officially.

The game has 3 different Modes of play already: Survival, Wilderness & Endless.

So why not add more survival elements to survival & have those features toggled off for other modes like endless?

55 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Mods can’t always be the answer to everything, what about people on Xbox & PlayStation who can’t have mods? Only way we will see something like this is if it’s added to the game officially.

The game has 3 different Modes of play already: Survival, Wilderness & Endless.

So why not add more survival elements to survival & have those features toggled off for other modes like endless?

Because DST has it's own kind of disasters, and none of them are "Natural", as in IRL.

This suggestion sounds like yet another attempt of bringing some of Shipwrecked DLC to DST for free, as we have this kind of situation at Shipwrecked called Hurricane Season.

2 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

Because DST has it's own kind of disasters, and none of them are "Natural", as in IRL.

This suggestion sounds like yet another attempt of bringing some of Shipwrecked DLC to DST for free, as we have this kind of situation at Shipwrecked called Hurricane Season.

Meh Shipwrecked is fairly old by this point- Pretty sure any sales it was making, it’s already ceased in making.. there are mods that already let PC players play Shipwrecked Content and for Free, even if those mods suck- the fact Klei lets these mods exist at all kinda annoys me.

What your saying can be roughly compared to Batman Arkham City VS Batman Arkham Knight- Aka I had to pay as additional DLC Content to play as Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing when I originally bought Arkham City- But when I bought KNIGHT Catwoman, Robin & Nightwing were already playable from the start.

Dont Starve / DS Together even follows this same trend: Some people paid separately for Reign of Giants as its OWN DLC expansion- Meanwhile: Over on Xbox there is not a Single version of the game that you can buy that DOES NOT already Include the Reign of Giants DLC..

Yup you heard me: I’ve always been able to play as Wigfrid & Webber without paying for them separately.

In Addition: Instead of being locked Exclusively to that Reign of Giants DLC- Wigfrid & Webber are playable from the start of DST.

Now as for Shipwrecked??? Well.... If you happen to be playing the game on Nintendo Switch- There is not a single version of the game you can buy that DOES NOT already include the Shipwrecked Expansion.

My point? Shipwrecked could very well end up like Reign of Giants did at some point: Included as part of the Base Game purchase.

But nevertheless: Porting Seasons, Biomes and Weather Hazards into DST (if at all possible) would only help DST grow and have more content.. it wouldn’t hurt it.

And while not EVERYONE wants disasters like shipwreckeds Hurricane Winds, Volcanic Eruptions, or Flooded areas of Land- I personally loved them & think they are on par with OP of this thread is asking for.

I want some unavoidable content in DST: Because as it stands right now- Build Armors, Prepare for occasional Bearger/Deerclops invasion rinse repeat..

Im bored of it.... I want to return to my base to discover that an earthquake has caused a large elevation in land and half my base is down hill in a landslide of rubble.

As the game stands Right NOW: Every problem the game throws at you also hilariously has a permanent SOLUTION to that problem.

And what the OP and What I and What Captain Chaotica are asking for: Is Unavoidable Situations (Naturally occurring events & disasters) that do NOT have permanent Solutions for.

The mods that bring Shipwrecked content to the game?  Oh yeah. 

Spoiler

For example, "Island Adventures", last time I played it, I entered the game like thus:

willowstropicalvacation.png.47098eb55de661b5176052db3f2a0d6f.png

...whoah.  Um, Bernie?  I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.  For one thing, Kansas doesn't have an ocean coast.  : P

And yes, the coconut trees are JUST as annoying as in the original:

BONKonthehead.thumb.png.bb67d57e2b554bb20bba6e4f1d9dec16.png

Dammit. : P

This is quite a change from its first ready-for-prime-time version, which _just_ added sailable oceans, Shipwrecked style boats and ocean creatures, to the RoG world (before we had sailable oceans in the normal game!) and looked something like this:

sleepydogfish.png.120c8219cc6825ce458e1c1ffc7ec32a.png

Almost a normal Shipwrecked ocean shot, but with the RoG fall style lighting.  (Another way to tell it's not regular DS: Wickerbottom is wearing a Forge head and non-default clothes.  Oh, and the Tragic Torch.)

kittywantshermtv.png.1fedbd1fe7884c434b8f8094806bd69a.png

The ocean, but without a sandy beach or palm trees.  Also the kitty is sad she can't get that radio.  (Accordion?  Whatever.) :P

So as you can see, yeah, the modern version REALLY looks like Shipwrecked.  I'm not sure how The Tropical Experience looks these days, as I haven't played it in a while, but here are a couple quite old pictures, including poison mud puddles:

strollininthepoisonswamp.png.7f4dd9be612ed514d808daf326648323.png

(also Wildbore huts/actual Wildbores, but you can't really see them here)

doydoy.png.35b466353ac2b77e064d7bfb895e3458.png

..and a Doydoy.  So yeah, that definitely also has Shipwrecked content.

I wouldn't say either mod "sucks"; both have had a lot of work put into them.  In fact Island Adventures was in the planning-only stages for at least two YEARS before it was even slightly playable by the public.  How do I know this?  It was being planned here on the forums.  In 2016.

(In case you're wondering (you weren't) the last two pictures are from the same world/run:  I was playing Wilderness Mode, started off as Wigfrid, then she had a Very Bad Day and Wickerbottom took over.)

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

As the game stands Right NOW: Every problem the game throws at you also hilariously has a permanent SOLUTION to that problem.

And what the OP and What I and What Captain Chaotica are asking for: Is Unavoidable Situations (Naturally occurring events & disasters) that do NOT have permanent Solutions for.

Kinda...I personally am thinking more like:  There's nothing you can just do ONCE and that's it, that problem is solved until someone happens to destroy the item that solves it or whatever, but there IS something you can do _each_ time to prepare.  And signs ahead of time that smart and _paying attention_ players will notice.  The worst version of the disaster should be a punishment for not noticing your surroundings.  But alert players should be able to do SOMEthing to mitigate at least some part of the disaster.  Like, for example, plan to not be on the ocean when big waves will be coming.  That doesn't stop the WAVES; it just prevents them from doing as much damage to your stuff as they otherwise would have.  If someone still goes out on a boat during that time anyway, it's their own lookout.

That's what I'm thinking of.  As someone who plays with randomised season lengths all the time, I've learned to be paranoid about what the birch trees look like from day to day (no leaves?  red/orange/gold leaves? green leaves in winter does that mean _spring_ is coming soon, OR...?) so I'm imagining the signs that a big natural disaster is coming could be something like that.  Maybe little winds every now and then to herald a hurricane, or little jolts that don't do any actual harm (yet) to warn of an earthquake.  That kind of thing.

(That's not to say that preparation would COMPLETELY mitigate the impact of the natural disaster--just that it'd do _less_ damage than its full potential.)

...Notorious

Archived