Can we give some love to ice-e-fan?

So, today i tried the ice-e-fan...

I know it is supposed to be a heavy dupe labor, low tier tech, but i think the time needed to operate this thing is just too much.

What about making it run on electricity? I think the 50 Kg ice trips and the water bottle disposal could be enough of dupe labor considering the low cooling factor.

What do you think? Any suggestion?

55 minutes ago, M4ndatory said:

is just too much.

I agree with you, but like everything on oni: it's passing, there are better technologies so it's easier to just go straight to them and create a build than to use these low tier technologies, how to get "science" is easy, so it's better to just ignore a lot of these technologies

37 minutes ago, Tytan said:

but like everything on oni: it's passing, there are better technologies so it's easier to just go straight to them and create a build than to use these low tier technologies

Exactly, like algae, mealwood and everything is not super late game. But i think you are missing the point, i don't want the ice-e-fan to be viable, but to be usable, if someone want to.

Right now there is no reason to use anything that is not ice shift plate into aquatuner+turbine :(

I used this thing a bit and it`s not that bad. It does it`s job but other things might do it better. Ice sculptures and tempshift plates give you a nice burst of cooliing and the fan runs contiously like a wheezewort. It`s great at preventing heat from spreading or keeping rops at the right temperature before you can establish a more advanced system.

I`d say you should use ice tempshift to get the desired temperature intially and the fan to keep it that way. The downsides other than high required labour is the lack of automation and ice getting littered over the base (dupes like picking up a few grams of ice which melts in their hands along the way).

I think it would lose some funcionallity if it was powered as you couldn`t handle multiple of those early on but a similar mid game building could serve well as a bridge between the ealry game labour intensive ice fan and the late game fully autonomous AT setup. As a separate building it might be just what we need.

12 hours ago, Pyrex042 said:

Is there ever a case where the Ice-E Fan is better than using Ice Tempshift or Ice Sculpture

Always if you care about thermal efficiency.

Both Tempshifts and Sculptures delete 4/5th of the heat capacity of the materials when built.

For 5 times their efficiency, drop your ice in a door or pool, or ship it through rails.

I assume the fan is supposed to be thermally neutral which would also make it 5 times better than shifts/sculptures.

(It is ~3x efficient in a simple test I did just now, but the remaining 2x probably went into cooling down the dupe.)

It was once part of my liquid cooling loop prior to slapping an AT onto it (didn't mean I removed it after, more on that soon). Said cooling loop also had a decent pacu pond So it was a pacu-temperature regulated base besides the Ice-E fan...

Then I discovered that the thingmagig had another use besides melting ice... IIRC: It trains the machinery attribute so now this 4k+ cycle base has very well trained dupes in that aspect. Of course, I could have used the wheels and get some power out of that while training dupes, but the Ice-E Fan was already there, singing its siren song - only noticeable to dupes.

It is now gone from the base but I'll eventually think about some unnecessary setup to bring it back....

Archived