Hunting rework?

Now that farming's been reworked, I think it'd be nice to have other food sources be brought up to its level of interesting, like suspicious dirt piles. What if for example you had to actually visually examine the shape of the footprints and the path of the tracks to figure out which animal you're following in advance? A Koalefant's tracks might be shaped the same as a Ewecus's, but the Koalefant might run far distances between each dirt pile while a Ewecus's piles would be close together as they frequently stop to graze.

I'm not quite certain what you are suggesting. Basically a way to know the spawn beforehand?

That doesn't really change much at all, if anything all it would do is make people quit early if they know you're going to roll a varg or ewecus. It also strips out the gambling fun.

Hunting always felt like it could use a little extra content, i'd love some more content tied to hunting, maybe we could have an ocean version of hunts too? Similar to Shipwreckeds suspicious bubbles. Maybe we could even have some cave specific hunts!

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I only want all tracks to be completely lost in spring rainfalls- that’s the hunting rework.

But... thats literally the only way to get more Volt Goat herds...

I'd love an additional new animal adding to Hunting. Maybe even a new Koalaphant version too - Summer Koala! it has nearly no hair on its body and it could have a cool little animation where it sprays water up onto its back with its trunk to cool itself down. There should definitely be something unique to hunts in summer.

Also Cave Hunts would be awesome with their own set of meaner nastier creatures.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I only want all tracks to be completely lost in spring rainfalls- that’s the hunting rework.

It's already been said by the member above, but that would make the volt goat addition to hunts meaningless. I can appreciate your other suggestions on the forums in the past, but this one is just not good.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, also, hunting functions well, has a good purpose, is viable at any stage of the game for food or other resources.

Farming itself before the rework just wasn't a worthy part of the game to play around with.

Reworking the existing mechanics that are lackluster should take priority. Hunting isn't lackluster.

If I would add anything to hunting, it would be hunts in the caves. However, I am not passionate enough about the caves to make a valid suggestion on what to add in a hunt when in the depths. 

Short story shorter; hunting works well how it is. Why reinvent the wheel?

3 minutes ago, chirsg said:

It's already been said by the member above, but that would make the volt goat addition to hunts meaningless. I can appreciate your other suggestions on the forums in the past, but this one is just not good.

I didn’t finish my thought: Tracks that are harder to locate due to the rain washing them away can be uncovered by assigning a hunting dog (the vargling pet) to sniff them out.

Thats how hunting works in reality.. the tracks get washed away but the hunting dog can still sniff out the animals scent.

I would expect cool stuff from a hunting rework, something with a lot more depth: on par with their excellent Fishing & Farming reworks.. so it would have to be Deep...

or at least as deep as Hook, Line & Inker/ Reap What You Sow.

Since a few people have mentioned it, I do imagine if hunting gets touched again then it'd get new hunt mobs! I prefer to keep my suggestions short and vague rather than going into lots of details though, in this case "what if you could tell what animal you're hunting by the track and behavior" instead of "what if you could tell what animal you're hunting by the track and behavior, and also there would be x new animal and y new animal with z new uses and etc etc", since I'm not a Klei employee so I wouldn't be able to come up with content that they'd proceed to integrate into the game full scale. I just want to show interest in an idea and give an example of one of the ways it could be expanded on.

I'd love to be able to find catcoon dens in hunts when in deciduous. (add a hard world cap to balance)

Since bearger got a little too happy in my forest, that would be an incredible addition. Adding this doesn't constitute a rework in my opinion, but just to save the world from being too bare when days add up.

3 hours ago, chirsg said:

I'd love to be able to find catcoon dens in hunts when in deciduous. (add a hard world cap to balance)

Since bearger got a little too happy in my forest, that would be an incredible addition. Adding this doesn't constitute a rework in my opinion, but just to save the world from being too bare when days add up.

Yes! we need to be able to make/get more catcoon dens, being limited to deciduous would be a little disappointing but probably fair.

Archived