Make pick/axe more useful?

maybe, but doubt it, thulecite's awfully valuable

a combinative gold axe/pickaxe with a fifth of the hit requirements cut off isn't.. bad, though the usual 2 thulecite for the craft is quite pricy

in general the balance or effectiveness or whatever is pretty all over the place, mostly a thing for mods seemingly

which there's quite good support for at least, there's some tuning available for pick/axe but not effectiveness like for glass axe

..which is also kind of a thing that rains on pick/axe's more specific 1.33 hits per hits (essentially +33% effectiveness) parade, moon glass and its not great dura/lastability but +150% effectiveness, which also doesn't seem to be used thaaat much..

in both cases would probably see more use if had a bump to their use count + a major/modest cut to resource consumption respectively

Simple. Make it unbreakable.

and why not? By the time you can make this resources are plentiful and we have moon glass axes etc that are superior in speed, so let this be a slow option that doesn’t cost anything more since gathering basic axe/pick axe ingredients is incredibly minor so late in the game.

then it’s expensive, but it has it’s place if we’re fine chopping slower. I mean Lucy is free and it’s not only unbreakable but lightning fast.

Making it Unbreakable looks like a bit of a strech, I wouldn't mind, I'd love it, Finally I would carry tools besides my trusty hammer, but I really don't see it coming, maybe if they buffed the durability A LOT I would give it more love cuz c'mon, people certainly do not reset the ruins for that Pick/Axe, i know it looks good,truly a thing of beauty, but 1 inventory slot really doesn't help, leave those gems for the moles and come back later. I love the Idea of the Item but I only use it when I find it on sea chests (never got one from the ruins).

Id love for it to create light. Even late game you have to occasionally drop a lantern to mine or chop and... Im lazy lol.

It could work like obsidian tools where constant use start causing it to gain charges (except for the fiery burst)

And a minor durability boost, just like the thelucite club got. So 50%.

I would never build a pick/axe HOWEVER I do appreciate the free ones I get from the chests in the ruins. I used to deconstruct them for a bit more thulucite but now I just use them as additional tools for free *shrug*

I'd like it to be a little better sure but the free ones I receive are useful and make it worth existing simply for the free ones rather than actually crafting it.

Rather than making it unbreakable you could add a method in which it regains durability, for instance, you could expose it to a nightmare light to repair it (like dropping it on the ground next to it), ye olden nightmare fuel refuel route, repair it with thule bits or chunks, list goes on.

22 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Shork

Sounds kinda like "Shark", could perhaps be a Rockjaw drop seeing as how it has only meat for it's items; people were talking about maybe having its rock-jaw be a possible drop as an anchor, but this could also be an idea worth considering as well.

I realized this item needs a very simple buff/rework that would make it worth it: make it from pick/axe to pick/hammer. Nobody needs an axe in the ruins, but a hammer and pick in 1 slot would be quite usefull.

You can always deconstruct at 1% to get your tools back and make a new one for 1 thelu, so I think with added hammering benefit it would clearly become the go-to ruins tool.

I think the reason people find it useless is because they don't want to craft it.

But there are ways to get it without crafting it and if you do obtain them in those ways, you'll find it's actually a very good item. High durability and able to mine/chop things faster than normal are both great!

The one way I get them the most is through sunken treasure. 10% chance to get a bunch of great ruins loot including a pick/axe, and they are super useful! I don't need to take up 2 inventory slots whenever I have one, only 1 slot is needed.

I think if they were to ever be reworked or buffed, it should just be the crafting recipe. Either needing only thulicite/nf/living logs. Or being able to craft it without going to the ruins

On 1/20/2021 at 11:07 PM, Souper said:

I was thinking today about completely useless items, and the pick/axe came to mind! (Along with the lazy forager, albeit slightly more useful) I really think this item should get a buff. At the very least it should have more uses than a gold pickaxe or axe. In the item's current state, I've never once crafted it, and I don't think I ever would unless I just wanted to flex. Gold tools are much cheaper, and the efficiency bonus you get for using the pick/axe is not worth the cost at all. In my opinion, it should be a pick/axe you can use nightmare fuel to repair, but you drastically lose sanity while using it. Just like magi, this would make the pick/axe a beloved item that would actually get used!

Although this isn't the topic, I believe the same should be done for lazy forager (make it refuelable), but we at least have Electroely's mod for that. It's one of the few game changing mods I actually use. Thanks Electroely!

imo alot of weapons armors and items are bad and not viable and need to be reworked

Archived