is wurt good?

she isnt underpowered

her army gives resources, food (merms drop frog legs and fish, 2 good sources of healing and hunger), help in boss fights, etc

also her afinity with fishes+inmunity to wetness makes her surviving the seasons with less items in her inventory. Just a fish (scorch fish or the icy fish) in her inventory and another in a tin fishing bin to refresh their live

the only "bad" thing is that her perks have no impact in the first days like wendy, wigfrid and other early characters, but in mid and late she shines. But, as any good character, she has downsides and these are some of them

another bad thing is her king, if you are experience, the stats boost doesnt do much and the loot from giving fishes isnt so good.

Also, she cant get gold from pig king but there is many gold in the map+other ways of getting it and anyways, she only waste gold on making scaled chest since all the work is made by the merms

I was hated her at first but after few hours of playing I actually started to like her. Her playstyle is perfectly complex like Wormwood's one which make me feel she is a really different character. I didn't get that feel at Wortox, He just make me feel like I'm a wilson with unlimited food/health source with lazy wanderer. She is interesting at the begining of the game and became more interesting late game.

Also I don't want to look like edgy rick but Pumpkins are really OP for her.

31 minutes ago, Slagger said:

I was hated her at first but after few hours of playing I actually started to like her. Her playstyle is perfectly complex like Wormwood's one which make me feel she is a really different character. I didn't get that feel at Wortox, He just make me feel like I'm a wilson with unlimited food/health source with lazy wanderer. She is interesting at the begining of the game and became more interesting late game.

Also I don't want to look like edgy rick but Pumpkins are really OP for her.

aren't you the guy who always said that wurt sucked:lol:

1 hour ago, Duck986 said:

she is a vegetarian. this con crosses all her pros imo.

How? Durians/pumpkins or potatoes and you're set. If I can survive as Wolfgang eating only potatoes while constantly being in mighty form, I don't think it would be an issue for Wurt. It's a downside very similar to Wigfrid, a beloved character with beloved downsides/upsides.

7 minutes ago, Seero said:

This is an answer to a question, not an argument.

Great substantiation* I think is what they meant. Of which you have none/none worth listening to. As usual.

6 minutes ago, Souper said:

Great substantiation* I think is what they meant. Of which you have none/none worth listening to. As usual.

Recall what OP asked

image.png.383ba84c961736d02601f62430d13590.png

They asked if Wurt is good or not, They didn't ask why we think that

They also didn't say that they didn't want to hear anything from me specifically.

10 minutes ago, Seero said:

Recall what OP asked

Recall basic social skills: Most inquiries carry a lot more context than the explicit wording.

They also didn't say that they didn't want to hear anything from me specifically.

They seem to be in the minority. I think they'll have learned after this though!

Yeah Wurt's pretty nice. Personally though, I don't like playing her. Because she's a pretty long term character and takes quite a bit of resources before she becomes really great. So if you're not into that kinda playstyle you might not like Wurt very much.

I think the main reason I really dislike playing Wurt is because of fish being non-stackable, I wanna get a bunch of fish but end up with my inventory full really quickly.

She used to be my favorite, but after  a couple months of playing her, I've realized her play really forces you to tunnel vision. I like characters that give you choices.

The main problem being kelp for Merm King. Running around the edge of the landmass trying to find lunar island using world generation knowledge is not fun. It takes forever and really takes you out of the game. You shouldn't have to exploit metadata knowledge to play her. There needs to be a reasonable way to get kelp or it needs to be replaced with something else. Using 10 pigskins is a big ask too, that's a lot of Football Helmets or Hambats, and good luck getting that many if you join later than day 5. The Pig Heads will all be picked over. And then there is the problem of her Merm structures. If you don't have Merm King they are a hazard to other players and if you do they are a ticking time bomb anyway. Once you leave, Merm King will eventually die and Merms will turn on the other players. And if you don't build them you are leaving a lot of her power on the table. In a way, she is a worse Webber, in that Merms are way more dangerous. Most public servers lose people at the end of winter and Merms are terrible at fighting Deerclops. You could do something with them long term on a private server, but I really believe characters should be balanced around public group play.

Merms not having a natural food source in the swamp is also a thematic fail. I know its not a huge deal but it really bugs me.

I like characters with long term goals. I think Wigfrid does it best in that her songs take her to different parts of the map for materials. Wurt has to do the same thing every game. I really hate to say it, but Wurt doesn't really offer anything to the group and really takes from it.

yes, she is very, very good, and extremely cozy to play, with a pretty damn different playstyle compared to others.

she can gather resources with the best of them even early game, but her true perks come later on:

• ignoring all seasonal dangers come second year with scorching sunfish - though you need to do ocean content for it, which is a pain in the ass, but it's probably the most convenient perk anyone can have. warming up in the winter? losing sanity and needing to dry off in spring? you'll never need to worry about any of that.
  • loyal merm guards. they have high damage and instantly attack anything you hit, meaning with a few, you can instagib most mobs. fun stuff, though they do cost a lot
  • with the new farming update, food is never a problem - just turn meat into eggs and cook them into dragonpies, it's easy to mass produce dragonfruit from the first spring onwards
  • craftsmerm houses are cheap to craft and you can easily mass produce many in the first autumn, allowing you to pretty much clear out forests and rocky biomes, which also let's you set up big pig farms early on
  • merms can also mine like no-one else, which is generally wasted, since you can't pick up stuff fast... but give 'em a marble forest, and let's just say from that point onward, you'll only need to kite if you really want to kite

now, for the downsides:

• vegetarian diet is minor inconvenience at best, make fistfuls of jam and trail mix early on (since birchnut forests aren't safe from merms, either), and go with dragonpie and vegetable stinger later on, covering both health, hunger and sanity
  • pig hatred is once again nothing to worry about, build your pig farm at dusk/night, then only expand it when you've cleared them all out during full moon
  • no pig king is a bummer, but you can easily get around that by switching characters after clearing the ruins, or just having someone else trade with him

tl;dr: very good perks with few downsides and a truly unique playstyle

I don't play much Wurt but I can say that every single time there's been a Wurt on the server they've either neglected their king which caused the merms to start killing players, or they disconnected real early (which caused the king to become neglected which caused the merms to start killing players).

If you do play Wurt with other players make sure not to neglect the king! Probably build the merm houses a bit away from the other players, too.

8 hours ago, yes indeed said:

l thought wurt was underpowered

but l started seeing more wurts and l got confused

I don't know how strong she is, but the strength of a character is completely irrelevant to how much they're used in pubs. In fact the opposite is closer to true according to the character usage stats that Carl puts out. Maxwell and Wickerbottom near the bottom with characters like Wilson and Webber higher up.

And also according to those same character statistics, Wurt is the 2nd least played character (as of Dec 24, 2020 @ 12:34PM EST), presumably because she costs money and has a different playstyle.

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

every single time there's been a Wurt on the server they've either neglected their king which caused the merms to start killing players

what . . .? merms are territorial, if you go next to their houses even when theres a king not around they will attack...the actual issue is the wurt placing the merm colony near you guys...

Archived