How should the remaining characters get reworks?

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I didnt list anything because i dont get the free atack but okay, here we go:

- cheap speed boost turf. No need to craft expensive cobblestone to enjoy increased speed

- best workers and very good fighters (that respawn after half day) on the entire game and cheap to hire (they obey you even with seeds or honey) so you can gather resources quickly, for low prize without needing to wait for bearger or to kill fw to control reanimated skeletons. They are cheap to build if you dont take in count lame strategies like destroying all the bunny villages to get warriors for free and anyways, these bunnies will not help you mining and chopping (ideal for wood, stonefruit and marble)

- stats boost for low prize kinda good for bosses that you know you will tank or lose many sanity

- can survive summer with just to ice fishes and winter with 2 scorch fishes without need to stop to recharge thermal stones or having to wear clothes making you need less items in your inventory to survive since the fishes last for so long. Also in spring you dont need to bring eyebrella which is so useful for killing bosses in spring

- unique estructures ideal for base building

- cool but not annoying downside that, with the new update, she doesnt need to waste time cooking to cover health and hunger

Is way more fun than wendy and wigfrid since she hasnt got a faceroll gameplay but that and being a dlc character makes her less popular.

Is she not more or less forced to base away from the rest of the players unless she 1. doesn't recruit mermen or 2. gives every other player disguises which break anyway (very annoying)? 

Plus she for whatever reason she can't trade with pig king.

3 hours ago, Souper said:

I just wish wurt was good for something

Oh my! Wurt is amazing! If you know her tricks, she can be arguably the strongest character in late game (because she bcomes "untouchable")

Hunger - Never a problem (just eat coocked veggies/fruits. You get 33% more hunger from them. Pumpkins ftw)

Fighting - Never a problem. Merm warriors always by your side (and there's a way to have a BIG army by the second year). The easiest bosses to kite are the hardest for your merms to face. (constant AOE) can kill them fairily easy) So just kite them instead!

Defenses - Never a problem. Just feed 1 merm and if something tries to hit you, he'll defend you; and if they hit your merm, others will follow to defend it.

Sanity - never a problem. My sanity is always at 200. I don't even see it drop to 199. Fish is so easy to get. But only 1 Walrus Hat does the trick. You'll have plenty of dog tooth and silk to fix your hat.

Health - Doesn't matter. If you're fighting bosses, just make Healing Salve and you're good to go. If not, watever lol your health will always be full anyway.

Farming - Merms are amazing to make Spider, bunny and pig farm. Also, they help you with chopping trees and breaking stones.

King - Let him die, bring another merm and feed it 50 hunger. Or just give him some food since you're only eating ~10% of it cause your hunger is always full You can always

Swamp - you can either make your base at the swam or bring some parts of it to your base. Hound attacks and frog rain become trivial when you got swamp + merms.

I saw this topic and, as every topic on reworks, i'm motivated to read any opinions.

On 1/6/2021 at 8:29 PM, aidancode said:

Wilson: no rework. reason: He is the generic character.

First thing i read is this and i already disagree. He can be generic, but give Wilson more things to do. Simple things. He's just plain boring as it is now. There's no incentive to come back to this character as soon as you get to know the basics of this game.

Is he not supposed to be a scientist or some sort? Give him a "Chemist Tab" and 3-4 things to create and there you go.

EDIT: i read the rest of the first post and... Yeah, i don't like OP's ideas. :lol:

1 hour ago, Souper said:

Is she not more or less forced to base away from the rest of the players unless she 1. doesn't recruit mermen or 2. gives every other player disguises which break anyway (very annoying)? 

You can base with the rest of the players but making the buildings in safe but close places

Other players dont need cheap disguises if the merms are hired

Pig king isnt a problem unleas you want scale chest since she only waste gold on those, some structures and shovels, the rest of tools arent wasted becase you can use merms. Also, if she is playing with others that work can be done by other and, if she plays alone, the portal is cheap

She has wonderful psinergy with many characters like wormwood or warly

Anyways, why we are talking about wurt? You were talking about wortox not being picked ;)

2 hours ago, JeroLudo said:

First thing i read is this and i already disagree. He can be generic, but give Wilson more things to do. Simple things. He's just plain boring as it is now. There's no incentive to come back to this character as soon as you get to know the basics of this game.

Is he not supposed to be a scientist or some sort? Give him a "Chemist Tab" and 3-4 things to create and there you go.

I can totally believe that some people play him to just get a generic experience at the game without any additional buffs and stuffs. Yeah plus he is said to suck as a scientist, so that's out of the question as well. he could have a bit more, but I don't think much is needed

56 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

I can totally believe that some people play him to just get a generic experience at the game without any additional buffs and stuffs. Yeah plus he is said to suck as a scientist, so that's out of the question as well. he could have a bit more, but I don't think much is needed

Off-Topic Wilson related opinion in spoiler:

Spoiler

DST Wilson has quested through 5 randomly generated worlds and traded places with Maxwell as king of shadows by this point in the franchise- He has to gain something of use, of value- something that showcases he’s adapted, evolved and that DST is a Sequel that picks up where DS ended.. 

Generic Boring basic character with no perks or abilities (outside of his beard growing) should be a playstyle option: letting you play the game as any character but without any play specific abilities-

Basically Wilson’s entire playstyle (without beard powers) may as well be a skin you can apply and THEN players could play as Wortox without his soul powers or Wendy without Abigail, or Wolfgang without Puny or Mighty forms..

My point here is that Wilson shouldn’t remain generic and mostly boring- he, like everyone else, needs gameplay improvements to make him more unique and interesting to play, especially since DST picks up where DS ended.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

DST Wilson has quested through 5 randomly generated worlds and traded places with Maxwell as king of shadows by this point in the franchise- He has to gain something of use, of value- something that showcases he’s adapted, evolved and that DST is a Sequel that picks up where DS ended..

The knowledge that adquires the player controlling him over those worlds

Isnt the same gameplay for a wilson that stays the entire winter hugging the fire pit that the wilson that adquires ancient knowledge and telepuff over the map.

I wish his core gameplay doesnt change, just, at most, they could add silly inventions

5 hours ago, Souper said:

She cant trade with PK because merms and pigs are at war with each other or something and Wurt heavily dislikes them. 

If its gold you're after you can also make a moleworm farm. I do it as Wormwood to get nitre and i end up with quite a lot of gold. With winters feast it was very easy to set up, bundle 4 moleworms then unbundle, they will have forgotten their burrows and make a new one. u can do this however many times you want before you get too laggy :D. takes some time though/gotta be lucky for gold but its a perfect activity for long winter nights and a way to deal with Wurt's downside if u dont want to portal 

--

i wouldnt be opposed to changing the Merm King's loot table to give gold for certain fish or something. Thats what id like to see most for Wurt, better/more interesting trading with the merm king. 

Wes: Remove the hard mode to finally balance him because people can make mods to always bring him back to his normal weak state like Classic Woodie or like the farms being readded by modders, I know it's not fun for anyone who likes a challenge or claims he's good as he is now. He's practically useless out of a Roleplay server due to how weak and horrible his hunger management is, I would say to cut it just to be manageable by people that want to play Wes casually without mods. I would love for him to have the ability to tame pets in a way unlike any character and give sanity boosts that don't last long. (Like a small boost in sanity that would last a few minutes or for how long the balloon stays until popped.) And just go full on forward with the theme of his mime balloonmancy! Do Something cool like living balloon creatures or something silly! He's supposed to be a mime that struggles to survive so why not give a taste of balanced chaos? (that really isn't too chaotic to make sure it's fair.)

I honestly feel like there really should be a “Generic Character” Option- as in... I can play AS WORTOX or WURT but with Wilson or even WES stats, health, damage etc..

Because the way I look at Wilson and Wes in their current form, outside of the beard or pile of balloons is that I could just as easily play as Wendy, Wigfrid or Walani without access to the powers and perks that make Wendy, Wigfrid and Walani who they are.

Basically the Generic Character needs to be that mystery character choice.. the one that randomly selects a character for you to play: Then any character (or skin you’ve purchased) that your heart desires using would be purely cosmetic only.. without pro’s or con’s they would LITERALLY be Wes or Wilson & do what Wes and Wilson currently do (which is much of nothing until they get refreshes..)

Meanwhile this opens up both WES and WILSON to truly get some unique and fun gameplay features.

People who want Generic character with no abilities still have that option, people who wanted them to become more interesting and fun to actually play as get unique new gameplay to enjoy.

Its a Win-Win and I logically can’t see any situation where Klei can lose with this.

If I’m wrong someone please speak up- Otherwise I’m going to keep saying Wes/Wilson (in their current not reworked versions) could just as easily be a “Generic No pro’s, cons, special foods or increased/decreased hunger, sanity health stats.

Basically I would LOVE to be able to play AS WENDY but Wendy being just a cosmetic only skin over Wilson or Wes.

And with no danger of ruining that generic Playstyle people want them to retain: Klei can truly go nuts with these blank canvas characters and give them unique features and gameplay that make them interesting & fun- Beyond being Generic or Weaker Generic.

But like I said if I’m wrong about this style of mindset, please do explain why. :wilson_love:

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

WES and WILSON to truly get some unique and fun gameplay features.

I may not agree Wes is easy to play and rather want hard mode to just be a mod for people who want a serious chalange, but I would LOVE for Wes to have the ability to do amazing things with his balloons or go on with him being like a Clown in a circus with unique crafting items. For Wilson I would LOVE to see Science items that add on to him or for people who like to Roleplay Wilson as a mad Scientist. :lol:

18 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Wes: Remove the hard mode to finally balance him because people can make mods to always bring him back to his normal weak state like Classic Woodie or like the farms being readded by modders, I know it's not fun for anyone who likes a challenge or claims he's good as he is now. He's practically useless out of a Roleplay server due to how weak and horrible his hunger management is, I would say to cut it just to be manageable by people that want to play Wes casually without mods. I would love for him to have the ability to tame pets in a way unlike any character and give sanity boosts that don't last long. (Like a small boost in sanity that would last a few minutes or for how long the balloon stays until popped.) And just go full on forward with the theme of his mime balloonmancy! Do Something cool like living balloon creatures or something silly! He's supposed to be a mime that struggles to survive so why not give a taste of balanced chaos? (that really isn't too chaotic to make sure it's fair.)

that just sounds like a long-form way to tell off console players who like wes the way he is. it also removes his core attribute; he struggles to survive. making him a strong player kinda defeats his whole shtick, i mean, if you don't like wes that can be fine but if you do like wes it muddles his character and his lore; he is brave but laughably weak.

it also negates his true strong-point; he is a way to use what you learn as a wilson without diluting the mechanics of the game with new powers. sure in a minimally-competitive multiplayer game that doesnt mean much to most people(atm using him and thriving is just a way to express your skill without words) but it does serve a function for people who want to challenge themselves without being tempted by readily available perks like books and merms and vampirism

also he isn't a clown. he is a mime. if he were to get perks they need to match his base character not his halloween reskins

35 minutes ago, gaymime said:

also he isn't a clown. he is a mime. if he were to get perks they need to match his base character not his halloween reskins

Well I call him a clown as an inside joke 

35 minutes ago, gaymime said:

tell off console players who like wes the way he is

Yes but what if there was an opion for DST to have a hard mode for wes that the host can set? To make it fair for all Wes players. The setting would be for wes: Casual (The New updated version) and Hardmode (Regular Wes but with the new crafting items.)

5 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Yes but what if there was an opion for DST to have a hard mode for wes that the host can set? To make it fair for all Wes players. The setting would be for wes: Casual (The New updated version) and Hardmode (Regular Wes but with the new crafting items.)

I was thinking that too.

Wes deserves to have his potential as a mime and balloonomancer channeled into a rework that makes him a challenging character to play, but one who has a bunch of unique and useful perks in exchange.

But at the same time, Wes has always been the meme character, so adding a new game mode that's all about playing a weak, silent mime in a dark, dangerous world would be amazing and probably the best compromise Klei could make. Maybe with an option to render this mode entirely in monochrome, just for funsies.

9 minutes ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

Well I call him a clown as an inside joke 

i think that falls in line with the creepypasta origin; totally fine in the forums but not useful in the actual game

that sounds like it would require a lot of coding. i am not sure one of the least-played characters is worth that much time and effort when there are bigger things that still need work(like the ocean)

2 minutes ago, gaymime said:

that sounds like it would require a lot of coding. i am not sure one of the least-played characters is worth that much time and effort when there are bigger things that still need work(like the ocean)

A gamemode like this would likely require very little coding, since it would just be disabling a couple of things here and there, without actually needing any new content.

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

A gamemode like this would likely require very little coding, since it would just be disabling a couple of things here and there, without actually needing any new content.

not really, you do have to code it in to begin with. then you have to make sure that the toggle was not usable with other characters and all of this presupposes that whatever is added does not change anything about the version that is lacking to avoid conflicts when people turn/leave it off

honestly to work within the confines of the game as it is you'd just do better to make two separate characters that share graphics and bones which is a waste when you could just have a new character for the same work

38 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Exactly- then I can play as Wendy or Wortox but without their special powers.

Meanwhile Wes actually becomes a fun character with unique abilities that may or may not give him more power/usefulness.

No matter what changes they do to Wes he Still has to live up to his Compendium description- Which would be practices Balloon’o’mancy (whatever the heck that is..) can’t talk, & has trouble staying alive.

But even if for example he was able to craft 12 balloons and tie them together to Mary Poppins his way over gaps of water to SOME people that would be giving him features that help him stay alive better.

Which is exactly why Klei needs to just go ahead and make a Mode that turns anyone you want to play as into current Wilson/Wes 

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and where is the incentive of learning the game to play a character you like?

Non existent at the moment, especially with character downsides becoming less harsh- for example if you learned Woodie pre-rework you knew not to chop too much Wood unless you wanted to trigger his beaver curse, but NOW you can chop as much Wood as you want to your hearts desire without any consequences involved.

learning these characters and how to play them is kinda a moot point at the moment, because they’re all changing.. 

Wormwood went from difficult to manage health to easily able to heal with rot.

Wendy went from hitting below average to hitting above her average when she works well together with Abigail.

My point here is that learning ANYTHING about a character is highly subjective to changes as long as they’re still being reworked/tweaked.

Even Wickerbottom had her book split into two different books that have a now limited amount of resources on screen they can effect.

Theyre changing... they’re ALL changing.

And honestly? I fully trust in Klei’s ability to bring more personality, life and fun gameplay mechanics into their wacky cast of DST characters.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Non existent at the moment, especially with character downsides becoming less harsh- for example if you learned Woodie pre-rework you knew not to chop too much Wood unless you wanted to trigger his beaver curse, but NOW you can chop as much Wood as you want to your hearts desire without any consequences involved.

learning these characters and how to play them is kinda a moot point at the moment, because they’re all changing.. 

Wendy went from hitting below average to hitting above her average when she works well together with Abigail.

My point here is that learning ANYTHING about a character is highly subjective to changes as long as they’re still being reworked/tweaked.

Even Wickerbottom had her book split into two different books that have a now limited amount of resources on screen they can effect.

Theyre changing... they’re ALL changing.

And honestly? I fully trust in Klei’s ability to bring more personality, life and fun gameplay mechanics into their wacky cast of DST characters.

so better make every character with no difficulty to make a flat game instead of an interesting game

let see how klei increase by 200 points maxwell hp by that logic or where is that logic applied in walter?

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

as we already discuss, this has almost no gameplay impact. And no, having random seasons doesnt affect it when you can survive all the seasons with a torch, wetness protection item, few nitre/fridge and a thermal stone. It only helps to heal little wounds but doesnt has any other use (unless you have infinity patience)

klei is learning of how to do less tedious charactes like not having a willow burning an entire base just because a random fire for low sanity or wendy not being hunted every night by her sister (the original desing) instead of being a free faceroll weapon that we have now. I hope klei will make interesting desings and character perks and downside instead of wilsons with steroids that kills, even more than the nerfs they did from the mechanics of RoG when DST was released, the survival aspect of the game making it an animal crosing monster hunter like game. Downsides are so important because it changes the gameplay

On 1/8/2021 at 9:00 PM, Hornete said:

What's.... wrong with you dude?.... I appreciate the person's kindness personally and I think many others do too. Dont try to bring others down. Even if it was for some reason fake kindness, who the hell cares? It's better than any kind of hate/mean words.

@stranger again You keep doing you man, it's a fresh breath of air to see someone so kind and welcoming on the forums.

All I'm gonna say is judging by the replies this thread got we* do not value opinion of the author, despite of what stranger said.

His pink glasses confused me that's all. 

23 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

His pink glasses confused me that's all. 

is that a saying? because i don't get it

also you valued the author's ideas so much you decided to reply to this thread so you do value their ideas

Archived